Old September 28, 2003, 05:41   #1
Giovanni Wine
NationStatesNever Ending Stories
King

Local Time: 10:24
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Italy in the dark!!!!
Yerstuday night at about 3:30 when I was in the disco the power went down. At first we all waited a few minutes and then we all went out of the club (strangely enough there were no beating and pushing, despite the fact we were about 1-2 thousand yound teenagers trying to get out a dark disco)

The disco is not exactly in the city but is a little out on one of the many hills sorrounding Torino.

When I was finally out I saw the whole city dark... you could tell there was a city only because there was a huge river of car running around the streets.

Me and my friends immediatly go in my car, I bring them home and then go home myself.

This morning I wake up and discover that the whole of Italy (with the exception of Sardinia) were without electricity... and some regions in the south still are.

The TV news said there was a malfunction in the connection between Italy and France (Italy buys about 20% of its electricity from France) and when they tried to activate a second line that was meant to serve as a back up, that line went down again.

Power was up here at around 7 that means we had only about 3-4 hours of black out, but some cities are still without electricity (and some other even without water because of the fact that the pumps and the "things that clean water" are not working).

Always according to the TV News there were no problems and no alarms caused by the black-out

As always the TV said that we should try not to use too much electricity, stop using this, stop using that etc etc... But now I wonder, since the average Italian already daily about half the electricity that a Swede use (they said it on TV), since we are buying 20% of our electicity from France (and this means that whenever there will be problems in France, it will be Italy to be in the dark).

Why can't we just build some other plants?

Saluti
"If God forbade drinking, would He have made wine so good?" - Cardinal Richelieu
"In vino veritas" - Plinio il vecchio
Old September 28, 2003, 05:46   #2
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 11:24
Hope power is soon restored everywhere.

Any news about the cause?
Old September 28, 2003, 05:51   #3
Giovanni Wine
King

Quote:
Originally posted by BeBro
Hope power is soon restored everywhere.

Any news about the cause?
According to the latest news it was a malfunction (probably caused by bad weather conditions) in the lines that bring power from France to Italy. But the sad thing is that when the first line, also the back-up line went down... causing a chain of failures that locked electricity exchange also between Italy and Switzerland, Austria, Slovenia and Croatia... basically isolating Italy from the rest of Europe.

But it is still unclear what exactly happened to the first line, and why didn't the back-up lines did not work.

Saluti
"If God forbade drinking, would He have made wine so good?" - Cardinal Richelieu
Old September 28, 2003, 05:52   #4
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 20:24
Hey, at least you have power now.
Old September 28, 2003, 05:52   #5
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
With North America, central London, and now Italy going black within less then two months, I think it's a big sign saying the electricity grid might NEED SOME UPDATING.
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old September 28, 2003, 05:53   #6
Giovanni Wine
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Hey, at least you have power now.
lol... probably I'm the reason power went down

Saluti
Old September 28, 2003, 05:59   #7
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

That's good! More newborn babies in the next 9 months! Maybe Giovanni is upset because he hadn't a part in this big plan
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old September 28, 2003, 06:07   #8
Giovanni Wine
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Datajack Franit
That's good! More newborn babies in the next 9 months! Maybe Giovanni is upset because he hadn't a part in this big plan
I must admit last night I was really unlucky with girls

*Giovanni Wine thinks: Why am I laughing?... there is nothing to laugh about not getting girls on a saturday night

Saluti
Old September 28, 2003, 07:15   #9
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Starchild
With North America, central London, and now Italy going black within less then two months, I think it's a big sign saying the electricity grid might NEED SOME UPDATING.
Not to mention all of southern Sweden (the part where 2/3s of the pop lives)+Copenhagen last week.
Old September 28, 2003, 07:19   #10
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

And Helsinki about a month ago

- Paul Valery
Old September 28, 2003, 07:20   #11
Zopperoni
Age of Nations TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Ah, you can blame the French. Good.
Old September 28, 2003, 07:53   #12
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 05:24
Quote:
Ah, you can blame the French. Good.
There's nothing sweeter.
Old September 28, 2003, 14:25   #13
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 02:24
Damn those pesky french.
Old September 28, 2003, 15:19   #14
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 02:24
I think it is time to turn up the conspiracy theory meter.

Italy is a strong supporter of the U.S.'s war on terrorism.

I think it is safe to say terrorists were responsible for both of these blackouts.
Old September 28, 2003, 15:23   #15
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 03:24
No, Diss, the conspiracy meter is where the US uses stolen alien technology to alert Future Chirac that Italy isn't paying its power bills

You described the PARANOIA meter AFAIK.

However, yes, the power grid needs some serious updating.
Old September 28, 2003, 15:48   #16
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Here is a picture of this emergency:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	vilniusbynight.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	1.2 KB
ID:	54074  
Old September 28, 2003, 17:27   #17
yaroslav
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

As far as I know, the blackout started after a tree fell and broke a power line in Swizterland, then the failure extended to France and in only 4 seconds to all the whole Italy...
Old September 28, 2003, 17:32   #18
VetLegion
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
Emperor

And what plants would Italy build? Nobody wants more nukes, coal is bad for tourism, oil is probably out of the question because of oscilating price... this leaves natural gas which is much better used for home use.

By the way, there are natural gas fields in Croatian part of north Adriatic which Croatia and Italy are jointly developing. In a couple of years pipeline to Italy should be complete. Croatian project will lag behind though.

Anyway, this reminded me, during the war, there were frequent power outages here with reductions between them. So everyone is pretty much cool about lossing power for a couple hours now.

I reckon some heads will fly in Italy though?

Also, doesn't Italy have a cable link to Greece? Did they send some power now when you needed it?
Old September 28, 2003, 17:38   #19
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 12:24
Why is coal bad? there are some pretty good particle filters these days...

I hope they build another one of those in Israel, and not the gas one.
Old September 28, 2003, 17:41   #20
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

This will teach those stupid greens that either they give us nuclear power plants or we'll have such shortages every month
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old September 28, 2003, 17:44   #21
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 12:24
"No! Don't you know that you can recycle cow **** instead?"
Old September 28, 2003, 17:45   #22
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 04:24
Five hurt as meteorite crashes to earth in India
28th September 2003 04:43 PM

1 hour, 42 minutes ago

BHUBANESWAR, India (AFP) - Five people were injured and two houses gutted when a meteorite crashed to earth in eastern India after panicking hundreds of villagers as it shot across the sky, reports and residents said.

The meteorite crashed Saturday in a remote village near the Bay of Bengal in the state of Orissa, local media said, adding five people were sent to hospital with injuries.

The provincial revenue minister, Biswa Bhusan Harichandan, said authorities were waiting for more concrete information about damages or casualties.

The meteorite lit up the sky and caused windows to rattle as passed overhead, sending hundreds of people rushing outside unsure what was happening, a resident of Kendrapara town said by telephone.

"It was all there for just a few seconds but it was like daylight everywhere," he said.

Scientists plan to study the remains of the meteorite.

"Such celestial occurrences are common in space but not visible to the naked eye. This is a rare phenomenon in this region," said Jaydev Kar, a scientist at the Pathani Samant Planetorium in Orissa's capital Bhubaneswar.

Old September 28, 2003, 17:54   #23
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

The button you are after Slow is 'New Thread' not 'Post Reply'

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old September 28, 2003, 17:59   #24
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

I can't make new threads until Wednesday.
Both stories have to do with dark, so I figured, WTF.
Old September 28, 2003, 18:00   #25
VetLegion
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
"No! Don't you know that you can recycle cow **** instead?"

Datajack:

Quote:
This will teach those stupid greens that either they give us nuclear power plants or we'll have such shortages every month
If you do, please build it on the west side of your peninsula, or even better, somwhere in Sicily. Thanks much!
Old September 28, 2003, 18:08   #26
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

LOL

Asher on molly bloom
Old September 28, 2003, 18:11   #27
Ned
King

Local Time: 01:24
I suppose the enemy of construction of new power plants and transmission lines in Italy are the leftist parties, just as they are here in the United States. A large part of the anger here in California against Davis is because everyone here knows the left is the cause of our power problems. One can keep up this anti-capitalist program only so long. In the end, the infrastructure will collapse. It looks like Europe is now feeling the effects of leftist politics.
Old September 29, 2003, 00:52   #28
The Mad Monk
Emperor

How's the power situation there now?
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old September 29, 2003, 01:58   #29
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Perhaps Berlusconi wanted to prevent the RAI from critisizing him???

Ah wait, he's emperor allready isn't he
Old September 29, 2003, 04:47   #30
Giovanni Wine
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
I suppose the enemy of construction of new power plants and transmission lines in Italy are the leftist parties, just as they are here in the United States. A large part of the anger here in California against Davis is because everyone here knows the left is the cause of our power problems. One can keep up this anti-capitalist program only so long. In the end, the infrastructure will collapse. It looks like Europe is now feeling the effects of leftist politics.
Uhm... I should tell this to Berlusconi, maybe he will give me a place in his cabinet as minister of... ehr... boh?

Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk

How's the power situation there now?
Power is back everywhere. I think the emergency was handled pretty good this time.

Quote:
Originally posted by VetLegion

And what plants would Italy build? Nobody wants more nukes, coal is bad for tourism, oil is probably out of the question because of oscilating price... this leaves natural gas which is much better used for home use.
Problem is, we can not even build new plants. Because ENEL, which is our biggest electricity company can not build new ones, or it would break the 50% rule set by the anti-trust laws, and the other companies don't have the resources to build them. So we are forced to import electricity from France, we import something like 20% of our total energy (and that's way too much, especially considering that the 2nd largest importer: Spain, only imports 3% of its total electricity).

Quote:
Originally posted by alva

Ah wait, he's emperor allready isn't he
*Giovanni wine sees Berlusconi on TV

Saluti