Old October 20, 2003, 20:33   #271
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 11:25
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Thanks will try that, but tomorrow, now it´s time to go to bed here....
Old October 20, 2003, 21:57   #272
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 20:25
Thanks Osweld.

You can also move onto aliens (after their death animation sequence is finished) by moving on one side of them, setting another waypoint on the other side of their body and then cancelling the remainder of their moves as they step onto the body.

You can also sometimes get the cursor to be a move one if you hover it near the edge of the square the alien is in.

The 'move' command seems the easiest way, though.
I'd better test 1.2 now.
Old October 20, 2003, 22:56   #273
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 17:25
This is starting to sound rather appealing. Thankyou all.
I never really got into the first one simply because it came with the original Moo and that took precedence.

Australian release date looks like the 24th, at least going by the site I usually look at. Its generally accurate to within a day or two.

lmao at "firing into the ground though. Maybe the system is based on how often you hit rather than how much damage you inflict.
Old October 21, 2003, 03:07   #274
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Apparently getting experience for assaulting dirt is still considered "fair". The bug exists in 1.2 still.

This is from a new test game, before I have even gotten my third base.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ufo.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	55483  
Old October 21, 2003, 03:30   #275
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

to move on a living Body press 'm' to switch to Movement Action and walk right on it.
Quote:
You can also move onto aliens (after their death animation sequence is finished) by moving on one side of them, setting another waypoint on the other side of their body and then cancelling the remainder of their moves as they step onto the body.

You can also sometimes get the cursor to be a move one if you hover it near the edge of the square the alien is in.
Well I guess.. when you have too much Time on Hand

Just got Warp's &BioArmor last Night *happy happy Joy Joy*
Old October 21, 2003, 03:47   #276
Skanky Burns

In my real game, I just got bioarmour and dreamland files. At the cost of 4 deaths, the first deaths I've had this game and I have been playing ironman the whole way. Alas, they were great soldiers too.
Old October 21, 2003, 04:55   #277
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 10:25
Well the good news about the new patch (well, for me, anyway) is that, along with the patch details, the developers posted a way I might be able to get the game to work
Old October 21, 2003, 05:39   #278
Main_Brain
King

In my Games I always did the Russian Base First.
Is easier IMO as you can use that Wall as Cover.
OTOH the Aliens have worse Weapons in Area 51.

In my Bio/warp Mission im happy to announce I only lost one Man on the outside. Okay the rest of the Crew went straight into Hospital for uhmm quite a While but hey! I need Time for that Warps anyway.

I only have Warp Pistols right now, but they seem to Rawck.
Shall I replace my SMG's with them or my AAL's?

Also Gatling and Double gatling set up fast enough to be of Use :=)
Great Stuff :=)
Old October 21, 2003, 07:46   #279
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 09:25
Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Apparently getting experience for assaulting dirt is still considered "fair". The bug exists in 1.2 still.

This is a single player game, the player decides what's fair play and not. Fixing exploits like that for a strictly singleplayer game usually ins't much of a priority.

Do It Ourselves
Old October 21, 2003, 09:06   #280
Skanky Burns

True enough. I was thinking that their "Fairer awarding of experience points." might have meant they got rid of such things as gaining experience by shooting the ground. I do wonder exactly what has changed, as things like throwing grenades didn't increase your experience at all. Alas, grenades own in the early game.

So, can you play yet Spike?

I need to test out these warp weapons too, seem like a good item for revenge.
Old October 21, 2003, 09:18   #281
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns

ok, you could say it's shooting training.... if anyone has used a rifle a tried to hit an exact spot... STANDING... you'll know how hard it is to hit.

but that HGs don't give points is slightly irritating. and even worse that shooting the ground gives more points than shooting an alien
Old October 21, 2003, 09:24   #282
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by BeBro
How do I capture Aliens? The manual says I should pick them from the ground when they are still alive -- but then I cannot move a soldier on their position.

I can only go there when they are dead, then I can transport them. But when they are still alive my guys say "can´t get there"...
note: you can't pick up nor walk onto 4-tile transgenants! chryssalis, sporeblowers, car crabs, etc.

but i only encountered a few "capture transgenant"-mission where all were large. and iirc they ended, when all were down

btw: this thread is incredible... i've never reached 100 before and now we're getting close to 300
Old October 21, 2003, 09:48   #283
Skanky Burns

You picked a good game to start a thread on.
Old October 21, 2003, 10:50   #284
BeBro
Emperor

Managed the capture missions. I´m just before the dreamland mission, it already appeared on the map, but I have to go into real life now. However, great game, absolutely addictive, and IMO a must-play for all xcom veterans
Old October 21, 2003, 12:20   #285
Main_Brain
King

BeBro speaks Truth, yet again.
Old October 21, 2003, 12:27   #286
Main_Brain
King

The Warp Weapons seem to be good indoors.
you can doublewield them for 400raw dmg.
shortrange of course. Will have to check the Alien armors warp defense.
Old October 21, 2003, 12:43   #287
Skanky Burns

Weight seems to affect how fast your soldier fires and reloads their weapons in addition to their running speed. Something to keep in mind when you, say, grab a suitcase from the Russian base and are attacked by an alien halfway back. A good reason to get your capacity stat up high.

Skill with a weapon seems to increase the range you can hit an enemy with that weapon.
Old October 21, 2003, 13:04   #288
Raion
Prince

Sometimes the player can verily leave the alien alive, and then it will also be included when going back, and don't have to carry it. I only carried one I think, one that would fit in the hands.

I think I will start over, even though I had a couple come out of Area 51. More med packs, and a couple more may have made it.
I think the player has to go on every mission, and then I going to stay longer in the mission, and walk around, see if more aliens are around. The number does vary, I think. Being outside Area 51, a couple of times, and the number of aliens was different. But then inside, I saw the leaning, but should have played it different. I think the longer the player waits to play that mission, the more aliens that will be there playing in that mission.

Seems like the aliens can about shoot through corners, though, of the wall, according to the "Big" Picture in Director's Cut.

That was a joke, so I start over the game, and I am playing on "Easy".

Gees!
Old October 21, 2003, 13:08   #289
Raion
Prince

But I am not sure about some of that above, especially when the number of aliens may be random, but it seemed like it outside Area 51.

But, I should have had Brian, since it was just a fluke that he departed the first time. Exploding Midairs'!

Different Loadout, when playing.
Old October 21, 2003, 13:51   #290
sabrewolf
Emperor

a general question: what happens if i don't delegate and don't accept a mission on my own?

is it bad to leave missions for a long time (until, let's say, it's worth going to the other end of the world)?

i have seen missions disappearing without me even delegating them, but that was when i finished another mission in the same area.
Old October 21, 2003, 14:00   #291
Main_Brain
King

Missions get delegated automatically after Time's up.
I never bother to delegate.

If you finish 3 Missions in an Area you automatically get a Base there.

P.s: I got a Warp Assault Rifle but reloaded due to losing my Best Heavy arghh
The Enhanced Human lasers are about the Level of the Alien ones. (need: Hybrid Weapons first)
Old October 21, 2003, 14:02   #292
sabrewolf
Emperor

thanks
Old October 21, 2003, 21:17   #293
Skanky Burns

Quote:
With every increase in the alien skill you deal 25% more damage.
Something interesting I found at another site. This makes intelligence much more valuable than previously though.
Old October 22, 2003, 01:56   #294
Raion
Prince

Yes, missions only have a set time limit. Going on those far missions, may have the other missions done by the others soldiers.

I see that one reviewer must not know that Engineering does some things also, like research does.
Oh, well.
I liked my old squaddies better, even though they talked crazy all the time. Now, I have a new easy game, and they are all like soldiers, well, it is a change.
Old October 22, 2003, 15:46   #295
Raion
Prince

I like the way the soldiers move, also. Upon park benches or steps, or debri, in the road. This game is good, and an expansion like some people want would even make it better.

Well, back to the blondie Captain, seeing if starting over that game, she shows back up, although, the new easy game is going good now. Maybe I'll try medium level or hard, just to see if they come unmass.
The game has fun to it!
Old October 22, 2003, 16:03   #296
sabrewolf
Emperor

an expansion?
that would be lovely!!!
i've already got a lot of things i'm missing in this game
- timed/remote controled explosives
- proximity mines
- psi-radar (if you can control an alien behind a wall, you should be able to sense it)
- 2nd team (towards the end my approx. 7 soldiers were just waiting for someone to die
- better tactical methods of the aliens (1 opens the door, 2 fire in the room, etc)
- different alien fighting abilities. a battleship should be full of soldiers while a planter/laboratory should have scientists (eg. bad fighters, but good psi)
- new sorts of missions
- better pathfinding... it sucks that i want to lead the group through a passage and 2 of them chose a long detour through 15 other rooms (might be corrected in v1.2)
- automated functions, e.g. put away gun and take medkit or refill you hip pockets with ammo (it's currently too much micromanagement)
- more degrees of freedom of the view (zoom further back, see exactly from a soldiers angle)
- magnifying/IR glasses (spot them manually)
- don't lose target command just because the grey one passed behind a tree... resume as soon as the enemy is visible again...

but otherwise, this game rocks!!!
Old October 22, 2003, 17:18   #297
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

An interesting thing to consider for an expansion would be adding some randomness to the plot line - ie. make a few different ways the game can develope and some discoveries that you might not come across, and have it brach off in different directions at different points along the story line, so that it's not the same every time you play.

Do It Ourselves
Old October 22, 2003, 20:49   #298
Skanky Burns

Sabre: Upgrade to 1.2 now, it fixes (at the very least) pathfinding. Also, remember when you had all 7 soldiers shooting at the same target and it dies. Then you had 7 confirmations that they did indeed kill something.
"Got the bastard"
"Target is dead"
"Enemy down, Sir"
and so on down the line. Well now you only need to confirm once for the whole lot of them.

A random plotline would rock, but it would have to be balanced (so that one path wouldn't be a cakewalk when another path is near impossible). Considering the balance of weaponry already...
Old October 22, 2003, 21:06   #299
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

I started over on hard difficulty... so much more fun - and challanging. Now I see what people where talking about when they where complainging about losing their soldiers all the time. Especially those base invasions. It's like an endless stream of the buggers come streaming into your base. I had a soldier siting at a doorway connecting to the hallway they where coming out of, she was continously firing grenades at them with a superstriker as they streamed out. She used up two clips before dying, and they kept coming, climbing over the half a dozen corpses of those who went before them.

And then there's the paralyse... during one mission, one of the floating transgenants that paralyse you (forget the name) started right next to my squad... it zapped all my soldiers right off the bat and held them there untill a danglefly came along and killed everyone.

As a side note, is there any way of knowing what reticulans are weak to? I checked through the glossary and didn't see it listed like it is for the transgenants. And if it can be discovered in-game, don't tell me what they're weak to.

Do It Ourselves
Old October 22, 2003, 21:18   #300
Skanky Burns

I guess when you build each alien armour type, then you can discover what they are resistant to.