Old October 22, 2003, 21:20   #301
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 20:25
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Oh, and this thread is now at 300 posts.

Good thing there aren't any C Beasts in Aftermath.
Old October 23, 2003, 02:11   #302
Raion
Prince

Local Time: 09:25
An expansion is only mentioned on forums, so I do not think that it is official. Lots of ideas, floating around.
Perhaps!
Old October 23, 2003, 05:00   #303
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 10:25
If Aftermath sells enough there will be one, you can count on it.
Old October 23, 2003, 05:17   #304
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 11:25
Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Also, remember when you had all 7 soldiers shooting at the same target and it dies. Then you had 7 confirmations that they did indeed kill something.
"Got the bastard"
"Target is dead"
"Enemy down, Sir"
and so on down the line. Well now you only need to confirm once for the whole lot of them.
yep, i know that. but that was no problem anymore even with 1.1 after i turned off some switches in the settings.
eg. target not available, no commands, completed, enemy killed, etc.

but i do like it a lot more, that just one guy sais it now.
Old October 23, 2003, 05:23   #305
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld
As a side note, is there any way of knowing what reticulans are weak to? I checked through the glossary and didn't see it listed like it is for the transgenants.
nukes, C4, napalm... ... oh wait... right, that's not in the game

you can see by the color of their shields which armor (sky, bio, sun) they've got. the check the specs. several sniper rifle shots will do the job, but if they're near you'll need something a lot faster.
most effective: overwhelming force... unfortunatly that doesn't work well against the final type of transgenants you'll meet
Old October 23, 2003, 12:00   #306
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

You cant doublewield Pistols
Old October 23, 2003, 16:07   #307
Raion
Prince

You can switch pistols, after shooting one to the other hand. But if you could shoot two pistols, probably so could the aliens.

The game is kind of comical though, and fun, although.....intense, perhaps, for a game!

And these aliens are ugly!
Ha, ha, ha, ha!
Old October 24, 2003, 13:17   #308
Main_Brain
King

Comical? You are not referring to the B-Movie like Intro are you Sir? ;=)

the Human Enhanced Plasma is a decent Rifle.
Seems better than Warp Assault no burst but you can actually reload it :=)

The Mutants are much more easy to kill than the Rec's 'specially if you have some Gat's.

I have the 'Capture Ferry' Mission now but as I only approach 30 Bases I think I will continue freeing the NonFree World.
also I have 3 Patches of Biomass which need to be handled :=)
Old October 24, 2003, 14:49   #309
Raion
Prince

No, I am referring to the game in general, even though it is bleak. I went back to my old squaddies on the easy game though, because Medium difficultly is harder.
I have not had the same squad in the game, since, and I started another couple of games, but I am just restarting, and still not past Area 51.
Otherwise there's different moods to the squads in general. I like my clunky squad better.

So, I am playing further with that game and doing Area 51 over.
Ya, until go back to the medium game.
I also played one mission over on that one, but a different soldier died. Thank God!
So, one of these days, I start a game, and play it out, no matter who is on the squad.
I will keep the easy game though, just to start over with that squad, maybe.

See any strange dancing lights in the sky lately?
Oh, that dancing light is in the game!
Though, at times I may just go outside, and look up, at night -- late!

I am just having some preliminary fun with the game.
Old October 24, 2003, 14:52   #310
Raion
Prince

Oh, I even have had one soldier that sounds like Scotty from StarTrek! Not sure where that game is now!
Aye, Sir!

What is it?
Oh, oh, trouble!
Old October 24, 2003, 15:33   #311
Main_Brain
King

Wait till you get the Chinese or Indian Guys
Old October 24, 2003, 15:33   #312
Raion
Prince

Here is my old squaddies!
http://www.geocities.com/dimensional...ftermath1.html

I miss 'em!
Ain't had them since!
Only Malcolm!

Old October 24, 2003, 18:16   #313
BeBro
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Main_Brain
Wait till you get the Chinese or Indian Guys
Yeah, they sound funny. Esp. when the Indian says: "Hostile spotted!"

BTW, does it load on your machines sooo long too? On some missions you can wait for minutes....

I had to replay too, because I re-installed my OS two days ago. Lost noone in Area51 (but all went to the hospital then ). However, I lost half of my squad during the first mission inside an UFO. That was really nasty, I did expect a bit more room to move, but they attacked me right next to the entry point....
Old October 25, 2003, 03:37   #314
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Quote:
Originally posted by Main_Brain
also I have 3 Patches of Biomass which need to be handled :=)
I only have one patch of biomass to contend with. I used to have two. While I would like to say that my fight was going well, I only have one now due to the fact that the biomass joined together. Now all of Australia, the antarctic and a fair portion of Asia are covered.
Old October 25, 2003, 06:08   #315
Raion
Prince

It does not take too long on my machine, and the game I run at slow speed, since I am slow. 1.8gHz Celeron, which is not a speed machine. Seems like it takes longer to load, but for the most part, not even 30 seconds, probably. More like probably 15 seconds. Seems longer though.
The game looks a little fast on my machine. I think with my old 500mHz, fast speed still be fast enough.
So, I can keep them moving well enough, at slow speed, and I like that speed.
I am still on easy mode, although I started a game on medium level.
Missions change (random), but I noticed more towns it seems on medium right away.
Taking my time, I guess!
UFO entering is something still to research, then I guess, all will go to .......... that place down below!

If I can, I'll go from mission to mission for a few then break!
I need the break~~~
Old October 25, 2003, 06:11   #316
Raion
Prince

Oh, ya, I turned off some of the voices also, and much better, except when I look at them all for the loadout on the screen then when returning, they all confirm, at the same time. I like that though, 5 voices at once, like a ~~ squad!
Old October 26, 2003, 21:50   #317
Raion
Prince

Going better now on easy level!
Old October 26, 2003, 22:47   #318
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 02:25
boy I really suck at this game. can't even get past the tutorial.

I guess I wasted my grenade blowing up a car, now I can't get past a wall.

So I just killed my own guy in the back with an uzi.

not sure I carea bout the voice acting. Or the interface for that matter. Surely there's an easier way to control the action.
Old October 27, 2003, 03:44   #319
sabrewolf
Emperor

use the keyboard. you only really need 'M' for movement and 'A' for attack.

hardcore players may also use 1-7 for the units, and 8-0 for definable groups. one of the keys was for 'select all', but i can't remember which one. 'CTRL-a' also works for that.

it's not like AoE2 where you'll lose every war against MPgods because they're just so much faster with those shortcuts
Old October 27, 2003, 05:42   #320
Main_Brain
King

You can also open the Door in Tutorial the normal Way (which is less Fun I assume)
Old October 27, 2003, 08:11   #321
Skanky Burns

"C" for cancelling all previous orders is also useful.
I suppose you could just select another soldier then go back to the original one and start inssuing orders to remove his previous order queue, but "C" is much quicker.
Old October 27, 2003, 09:18   #322
sabrewolf
Emperor

oh, yup, i forgot that one... the most useful one in fact
Old October 27, 2003, 10:57   #323
Main_Brain
King

The most useful thing is Crying
'DIE DIE DIE U ALIEN SCUM!!!'
all the Time.
That got me through Dreamland 2 at least.
Old October 27, 2003, 14:27   #324
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 02:25
how do you open doors the normal way?

Yes the A key and espeically the C key is very useful. Before I just kept going around in circles because I kept issuing new orders
Old October 27, 2003, 16:53   #325
Raion
Prince

I just change everything around in the game.
Well, some of it. Burst settings inside, aimed outside.
Well, I had to load up again, loss one that I said, must be me, did it over. I got a another mission to go on, before going to Area 51. Gonna roll through that place, when I done.

Feelin' alien today?

Good!
Old October 27, 2003, 17:23   #326
Raion
Prince

The mouse will change into a double outward sided pointers at the base of the door. Whoeven you clicked on to move, will then also open the door by clicking on that different pointer at the base of the door. He/she/alien will walk or run up, and open the door with their gun leveled.

Sometimes I think that players are getting lost when giving orders to the squaddies. If you start an order, then halfway through cancel it, then wait a second you will see what the squaddie is going to do. Since it is real-time, the player just can not change his mind halfway through changing loadout or something like that, the place where the squaddie is going will indicate whether the order was really cancelled or not. I have done that my self, so I had to issue another order, since I mucked up the order I gave.

It could be better so a total plan comes out, but the player has to do it in order. It is best to change the weapon first, or whatever, before moving, although at times I wanted to change the weapon at the end. Then if doing that, the player has to wait for the order to start, and issue the second order at the end.
I have not read enough of the manual to know if a continuous plan can be given, but I do not think so.
Maybe in an expansion or update, that will happen.
But, it is usually better to change the weapon first, then move the soldier, so an Attack command can be given or a cancel order can be given (Cancel all orders), so another command can be given if necessary.
Once the player gets use to it though, it still works good, just have to give the orders right, even when moving all of the squad, but I give orders, one at a time, and the player has to wait, sometimes, so the order will finish -- especially when changing equipment. On the screen it will show how the squaddie will end up, not that the squaddie is done yet with the order, then, another order can be given, or the squaddie will end up without doing the order -- especially when changing weapons or getting the medikit out from the backpack or whatever.
Once the player gets in the sequence of giving orders at the right time, the game gets fluid, but since real-time, the amount of time it will take for the order counts down at the soldier's picture, with the hour-glass icon, and the number of time it will take for the squaddie to complete the current order.

Old October 27, 2003, 20:23   #327
Skanky Burns

You can do some things in a continuous plan. Say your guy has a sniper rifle and is injured. You can get him to put his rifle into the backpack, take out the medikit and then heal himself. You can then get him to run, put the medikit away and pull out a shotgun, then run again to where someone dropped a spare clip of ammo and have him pick it up - and then start time so he does all these things.

A few things prevent you from being able to string multiple orders together though. As of 1.2, you can't move and then use a medikit, as the soldier will run back to the original spot to heal themselves. You can't open a door and then run further into the room. You can't fire at an alien until it is dead and then start doing other orders - they tend to just shoot once and then do the rest of their orders even if the enemy is alive.
Old October 27, 2003, 20:31   #328
sabrewolf
Emperor

your last point is one of the most annoying things.
specially when trying to take alien bases in higher levels towards the end. 3 come from behind the group 5-10 from the front. you can't give them a queue, kill A, then B.

worst is for the large collapsable guns. because they take 2 seconds just to unpack, you're tempted to fire on aliens one after the other, just not to lose the time packing and unpacking.

i wished there would be 2 types of attack: "single shot/salve attack" (eg. granade, sniper) and "shoot until dead"
Old October 27, 2003, 21:27   #329
Skanky Burns

Agreed.
Old October 28, 2003, 10:34   #330
BeBro
Emperor

Any advice how to finish the mission in this Russian secret base similar to area 51? Those retis with blue and green shields kill my guys before they even get to the entry. I have level 10- 13 soldiers, tried it with different kinds of armour and weaponry, but without success