Old October 28, 2003, 10:41   #331
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 11:25
Local Date: November 2, 2010
RUN!!!!

take an outside route to the central big room, send in your fastest soldier (bio armor would be preferrable protection), run straight to the box, pick it up (make sure your hands are empty before that) and run back.

doesn't always work, but it's easier than a lot of other solutions. maybe a smoke granade could help, too...
Old October 28, 2003, 10:50   #332
BeBro
Emperor

Yeah, but I donīt come even close to the base entry, the kill my guys just in the first stage, outside the base

I used the run tactics in area 51 pretty successful but now when I start the mission in the forest before the base my guys are quickly surrounded by aliens from every side, many of them with heavy weapons. I donīt have bio armour yet. Maybe I should wait a bit until I have it and then try this mission again....
Old October 28, 2003, 12:49   #333
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

My post got eaten.
Too long to retype
Use quick runners, the Concrete Wall as Cover and bring lotsa Medikits when you aint have heavy weapons.
Old October 28, 2003, 16:00   #334
Raion
Prince

Local Time: 09:25
I'm playing different now. Area 51 is still waiting, and so are a couple of UFO's to go to. I am leaving them sit, until more research is done. Those missions have not dissappeared yet, and a couple of other missions came up, that I went on. One was a base mission where I got a SuperStriker gun.
Looks as if it is something to use either in Area 51 or a UFO. But, then I am still playing on easy.
Think I will wait, since now my original crew (almost restarted back at the beginning of the game).
Someone said time and patience is needed to play this game.

Duh, but what about the biomass. Well, I have to research it all yet, so a couple are healing after the last base mission that had S-Blowers in it. And one is in training again to be a Medic. Healing goes better when most of them are Medics.

Ha, ha, he, he, ho, ho, ho! No, I am not Santa Claus, but............

I am scared, mommy, bad aliens out there!
Old October 28, 2003, 16:03   #335
Main_Brain
King

I do not recommend using a Superstriker inside a UFO
Old October 28, 2003, 18:33   #336
Raion
Prince

Depends on if I think the squaddie is good enough to use it! (?? not sure right now~~ thinking about it).

SuperStriker

May try it in Area 51, but may use pistols there, and try burst fire. Got a couple of good pistols, figuring out if they have the range though. SuperStriker is dangerous, though!

Old October 28, 2003, 18:55   #337
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Main_Brain
I do not recommend using a Superstriker inside a UFO
It has its moments. Good for clearing out a room before entering it or a crowd of aliens at the door way, provided you're on the other side of the room.

Do It Ourselves
Old October 29, 2003, 16:17   #338
Raion
Prince

I just went to an alien base, and never made it out of the entrance area. I looked at that map on the outside, and took a look on the inside, and did the scenario, and did not stay too long, to make a more indepth look at any of it. I got the heck out of there. It was fun!
Everyone came back, though, and the scenario was completed!
Old October 29, 2003, 20:35   #339
Main_Brain
King

So you aborted the Mission if I understand correctly?
Old October 30, 2003, 14:41   #340
Raion
Prince

I completed the mission, but I should have taken a picture of it. It was weird.

Just done with Area 51 also, but suppose to go, I think to a UFO, but some other missions are also going on.

Have no idea where the biomass is or anywhere. Have U.S. and a little south, and Canada, about, somewhere about like that. Area getting big, I have to spin the globe up and down.

If you start spinning the globe, and a message comes up, when you go to the message with the mouse button, the globe keeps spinning, maybe it counting mouse clicks (probably not), since clicking on the message reply will stop the globe spinning.

??
One UFO mission got delegated away.
Guess I did not make it on time, but they won all of them, along with Mexico and Havanna. I was busy, with something~~hospital or training.

http://www.geocities.com/dimensional...ftermath3.html
Old October 30, 2003, 15:08   #341
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

you don't use any grenadiers?
for base missions they're my favorite! nothing as effective as a grenades blowing up right next to a grey one
Old October 30, 2003, 16:04   #342
Raion
Prince

Nope! Heavy weapons, I have not dealt with yet, and grenade throwing is not allowed in missions I have been in. At least, that what the soldier reports.
"You got to be kiddin'!" is all I get out of Malcolm, when trying to use a grenade. Perhaps, it was too close, but they can not throw it there (not tall enough building), and heavy weapons, I have not used yet.
Pretty early in the game, yet, I suppose, but those pistols where heck with them. Having everyone shoot with burst, killed the gray, in about a second flat. It's lucky if they get one or two shoots off. A couple of times I did go to aimed fire, but those pistols I used, make mincemeat quickly of them. I mean that burst of fire from all those weapons was quick!
I do not know, since I am still behind most players, and have not got but a few hours a night to play the game.
I have heard that it gets tougher, but I know I aborted out of one mission, and will, if necessary.

I hope the next alien base, I go to is the same as the first one I went to, I want a picture of that.
Only way, I could figure out how to get to the entrance area was to click to it, and see the path. It was strange!
I just got some more weapons, but some I do not even know what they are, so until more time to study them, and read about them in the glossary, they, well, mean nothing to me, and one round, ain't gonna make it. Might as will use burst weapons, until I find out more about the alien armor, that just been completed in research. Haven't the foggest idea of what I am doing in this game yet, but I just keep playing it.
Of course, some of my soldiers got hurt, but that what medikits are for.
Until I learn more about this game, I am still studying it!
Well, that is funny!
Besides, blondie, and Keith are grating on me a little lately, especially Keith, since his voice is louder than the rest. If it wasn't then it be fine, but his voice is louder, so he is point man, for either he makes it, or he does not.
So~~ on with the game with the time I have to play it!
Old October 30, 2003, 16:09   #343
Raion
Prince

Or the other saying~~ "I would if I could!"
Anyway~~~

I feel like an alien to the game, right now!
Old October 31, 2003, 15:25   #344
Raion
Prince

They spell that Gray in the game. Another bit of humor to the game.

I know what this is, but
What is it?
Ha, ha!

http://www.geocities.com/dimensional...ftermath4.html

Follow the yellow brick path (road)!

Organic?
What is it?

Just a bit of fun coming up!

Squaddies are piling up.
Took some others on a mission, may have to 'dismiss' one or two. Getting crowded!
Old October 31, 2003, 18:55   #345
Raion
Prince

There is humor in the game.
The humans should feel like the aliens, alieuns, alieons!

Couple of picture: got to go find time to play it!
What is it?
They made it!

http://www.geocities.com/dimensional...ftermath5.html

http://www.geocities.com/dimensional...ftermath6.html

Be happy all the day!

Now, what?
Old November 2, 2003, 14:52   #346
BeBro
Emperor

Woohoo, finished the mission in that Russian base

I had five guys in heavy armour, with gatling guns and lots of ammo (they could hardly walk) plus two in bio armour as "runners", also with lots of medi-packs. The heavy guys cleared the area before the base those retis had no chance there. There were ca. 12 - 15 coming out of the entry and they got toasted with some well aimed bursts one after another .

Beyond the wall the rest of them was sitting. I "created" a new entry via grenades, then moved the heavy guys in carefully to kill those bastards. Inside the base I set up an ambush point and killed some more of them, then started to run with the light guys. I brought back the documents without losing a single soldier -- that was a cool
Old November 2, 2003, 18:55   #347
Raion
Prince

What difficulty level was it for the Russian base?

I am still on easy level, but getting close there.
Have not seen any gatling guns yet!

Got those SuperStrikers though!
Have not used them yet!
Just got my first CarCrab, whatever it is!
Old November 3, 2003, 04:05   #348
sabrewolf
Emperor

i havn't had chance to play recently, but i am impressed by the length of this thread.
my next best thread (i forgot that one) had 194 posts and after that the best one was around 35. this one here is close to 350... and counting

thanks guys

i also like your strategies. it's a great sign for a game if you can solve it in so many different ways. running, granading, sniping, gatling, etc.

after a very doubting start (i couldn't imagine a start and stop - realtime and turnbased game mixed) i really got fond of this style. and since the 1.2 patch, nearly all the major negative points have been removed.

now if only there were an editor for weapons (that 1.2GB file is just too large to tweak), i'd love it even more
Old November 3, 2003, 09:07   #349
BeBro
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Raion
What difficulty level was it for the Russian base?
Good question. I simply started a game without checking this - what is the standard difficulty then? Normal or Heavy?

Oh and IMO heavy armour and weapons (such as gatling guns) make only sense IMO when your guys are advaced enough to use them quickly. I had level 14 -16 soldiers on that mission, it took them ca. 2 seconds to aim and fire after spotting the enemy. Soldiers on lower levels would need longer, whichmakes them easier targets. It is also crucial to take out the enemies with heavy weapons asap, since those soldiers in heavy armor are not fast enough to go out of the impact area of eg. Alien missiles.
Old November 3, 2003, 10:15   #350
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 20:25
I think the default is hard. I also think the 1.2 upgrade allows you to see somewhere what difficulty level your are playing on.

In other news, I finally found this game in the shops, only 70 $au. Once my replacement credit card arrives, I will be able to get me a copy.
Old November 3, 2003, 18:21   #351
Raion
Prince

I have not been in a UFO yet. Just outside.
Just thought about that.
Those missions got delegated away, while I was busy with other missions.

Started a game on medium. One starts with a game name called a profile then sets the difficulty and starting location.
Then one can save the game when starting in that profile.
Well, if playing a game, one can start where one left off, just by hitting the 'play' button on the system screen.

Some players want to mod it, and the voices I think I will adjust some more to make it more fluid. Especially after everyone shoots, and the target is down.

Thought you had the game, Skanky already??

Server is busy, so I shortened this response, after typing it again.
Old November 4, 2003, 13:33   #352
Raion
Prince

Well, medium level did not go good. Think I will start a game on easy in another location, see how that plays.
U.S. start might be the easiest place to start. Reloaded twice in that medium game, must be dreaming here late at night or got use to playing different on easy. Sure is not the same! Maybe I will start over on medium.
Well!
I was just getting into expansion, and zap or more like poof, all gone. What was I thinking?
Squad should have ran, very fastly away!
Old November 5, 2003, 06:16   #353
Main_Brain
King

I disagree that you need Heroic Strength guys for the Armors, they will be slow anyway.
I prefer to use 1-2 Scouts in Bio to reveal the enemies.
The Gat's Range is usually enough to hit huge Parts of the Map.

Skanky ='evaluation Copy' ;=)
Old November 5, 2003, 15:49   #354
Raion
Prince

Right now I wish I had a plasma gun to get rid of the old hot water heater, so I could move a new one in easier. Something that would disingrate it quickly, and be easier to remove.

Started a couple of new games, one on easy in Europe which is way different as to building~~ apartment buildings and different streets, than main street here in the U.S. Not as much room for the camera to move around with, so a top down view is usually needed~~ as the buildings take up almost the entire streets, and less streets and apartment buildings.
Maybe I should start one in Asia to see how the scenary is different there.

All I know, that in the forests, some seem to be heavy also in the scenary with trees~~ well branches, so I trying to move the branches out of my face and out of my way. Its a jungle out there.
Scrounding around for the pieces in the game, but first, I guess I better get some other work done, so I can just sit and play out the game more this Winter when the cold weather hits harder.

Ah~ugh!

Ugh hits world!
http://www.webprimitives.com/ughhitworld.gif
Old November 6, 2003, 07:31   #355
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 10:25
Back from holiday (why do we always go somewhere miles away from a PC when I'm in the middle of a really cool game?) and I finally managed to do the Russian base without being wiped out. Hurrah!

Dumb question time - why are there some gun I can't equip? Nobody wants to carry a collapsible railgun or double machinegun even if I strip them down to their underwear.

Second question, which itself may be spoilerish:
Spoiler:
Having rescued the two old grays, do I just ignore them for now or should I use them for missions?
Old November 6, 2003, 08:55   #356
sabrewolf
Emperor

grumbold:
1) yeah, that's the wierd stuff: you can only take the big guns with the heavy armors. you probably tried it with the bio-suits, didn't you

2)
Spoiler:
in my first game they were a small help because my men weren't trained very well. in the second game they couldn't compare.

but i don't know how good their armor is.
Old November 6, 2003, 09:26   #357
Grumbold
Emperor

Heavy armor? Aaah. I'm in a collection of sun and sky suits at the moment with about 10 days to go on my first suit of Bio. Looks like I'll have to concentrate on enhanced heavy armour next, assuming my bases don't get swallowed under Biomass. At the moment I'm beginning to worry that the alien pondweed is going to beat me.
Old November 6, 2003, 09:31   #358
sabrewolf
Emperor

next time you see a planter hovering around near/over the biomass, send sevaral waves of fighters to do the job. intercept, then click on the UFO again and intercept again, etc.
you can also save+reload if you prefer

get in that UFO, research & develop 2-3 things and biomass won't be a problem anymore...
Old November 6, 2003, 09:43   #359
Grumbold
Emperor

Tried that once and having had a hard battle around the wreck the spaceship turned out to have at least 4 aliens inside with rocket launchers. It was splattered commando stew each time. Hence my longing for heavy weapons and better armour
Old November 6, 2003, 10:00   #360
sabrewolf
Emperor

well, a rocket will kill you even with best armour. and heavy weapons won't stop you from dieing

damn, those aliens are crazy... they'll fire their launchers even if you're right next to them! (suicide bombers?)