Old November 6, 2003, 15:28   #361
Raion
Prince

Local Time: 09:25
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Oh, on the easy level with the original squad, blondie is trained in everything, but does not have as many experience points as a couple of the others, who are not trained in everything yet.

Someone said that they prefer the shotgun, or neostad, as I yet to use heavy armor as it really did not help as the light armor that is researched and enhanced.
Got to read the specs on the armor.

Win enough other missions, and those UFO missions I had inside, were won by the other invisible troops on easy level.
Old November 6, 2003, 17:04   #362
Raion
Prince

A player mod is available here for those players not stuck with doing other things in life.

http://www.ufoaftermath.co.uk/forums...=0&#entry10704

I just like to get through the first game though!

Perhaps, later, as I thought that Altar was still coming out with another patch later in November, but I am not sure.

Sure wish I only had time to just play this game.
But then, I may be slow, but then, the game has just verily arrived for some players!
I think though that some alien weapon ranges ought to be even longer, and a few more Plectons in the game, so far!
Pin down the player, in some otherwise other missions!
More planes shot down, and perhaps, even more difficult, as a SuperHeroic mod for the aliens in the game!
Old November 7, 2003, 11:24   #363
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 10:25
Quote:
Originally posted by sabrewolf
well, a rocket will kill you even with best armour. and heavy weapons won't stop you from dieing

damn, those aliens are crazy... they'll fire their launchers even if you're right next to them! (suicide bombers?)
Maybe I just got unlucky with the number of rocketeers. The best i managed was to survive two of the four but 3+4 were so close together there was no chance of healing between them. I'm hoping that enhanced heavy armour might just allow me to take 2 hits before healing.
Old November 7, 2003, 13:44   #364
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 11:25
Quote:
Originally posted by sabrewolf
well, a rocket will kill you even with best armour. and heavy weapons won't stop you from dieing

damn, those aliens are crazy... they'll fire their launchers even if you're right next to them! (suicide bombers?)
With patch 1.2 you can blow up doors by throwing grenades against them (or by using other heavy weapons). I changed my tactics into this direction after I lost the first soldier that openend a door in the normal way and got toasted by the Alien behind.

I´m not sure, but I think if you throw a grenade and an Alien is behind the door it gets damage points despite the door being closed. I also usually have a second , sometimes a third soldier ready in some distance from this door to kill an appearing alien very fast (preferably with sniper rifles or heavy weapons for the tougher Aliens)
Old November 7, 2003, 19:13   #365
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

sound's like a good strategy for terran bases. but inside alien ships and bases it gets quite tight and crammy, so you havn't got a very wide range of standing near the door.

on the official website there's a user rebalancer mod where alien launchers are slightly slower. here's the direct link:
http://www.ufoaftermath.co.uk/forums...wtopic=822&hl=
Old November 7, 2003, 21:35   #366
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 20:25
Sounds nice. I will have to try that out after finishing the vanilla version.
Old November 9, 2003, 14:57   #367
Raion
Prince

I still am in that game started in Europe, and Area 51 is sitting there. It will proabably sit there until I get there with coverage, I guess. Now, that game is different, and a more top down view has to be done since the scenary in the missions are different. Well, I made a suggestion to also start in Australia as a starting place, but then, I guess that I do not know what Altar is doing yet!

3 mods are available and modding tools kinda of, since it means taking apart that big file and some documents about all of that modding now. I think players were hoping for Altar to release some hooks into the game for modding or some modding stuff. Don't really know?

Well, back to reality for a little while!
Then back to the game!
Got one squaddie killed that I did not want to, at a base mission, thinking I medikit him, but the aliens killed him first. Oh well, then I dismissed one!

Might start over again!
Perfection not needed but then, after playing for awhile, I guess I want to rush it!

Time and Patience someone said!
Well, have to smile after playing such a game!

I think that they ought to put in an option to turn off everyone saying they killed the alien, although it is funny, I just like to keep on moving, but there is no option for that, unless the player turns it all off, which can be done in the miscellaneous option tab. Although the player can spacebar through all of that, may have to try some different things yet!

It's an alien game, alright!
Old November 11, 2003, 11:56   #368
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

has anyone noticed how the difficulty increases? is it increased by time, reasearch or by unit strength?

i think the last, because my current games are harder than a lot of later missions in my first game (in this game i make sure to train all my units to the max while in the first game it was speed issues (eg. destroy the installation and leave - don't care about the transgenants)

and damn... c3c is out now, what will i play in my little spare time ?
Old November 11, 2003, 12:25   #369
Raion
Prince

Don't know yet, and don't know what c3c is (??)
Old November 11, 2003, 12:26   #370
sabrewolf
Emperor

you're joking, aren't you?
Old November 11, 2003, 12:27   #371
sabrewolf
Emperor

i'll try the difficulty stuff this evening by savegame-editing... i'll post when i know more...
Old November 11, 2003, 16:53   #372
Snotty
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Quote:
has anyone noticed how the difficulty increases? is it increased by time, reasearch or by unit strength?
Ive been thinking about this one as well. I would be very interested to know the triggers that increase the difficulty.

I have been playing the game with only two soldiers this time. They both leveled up really fast as there were only two of them to share the xp. If difficulty was related to unit level, then I should have been facing much tougher enemies earlier on. I dont really have any evidence to base it on, but I felt the tougher enemies actually took longer to show up. Perhaps enemy difficulty is affected by the average level of a full 7 man party.

I really enjoyed trying to play with just one man (on normal difficulty). I decided to not save and reload, so I ended up having to start over a lot after I got taken out by chyrsalis, and the occasional balloon fish. I ended up trying to go from the start with just two men, as some enemies were far too powerful when you only had one guy. I would recommend anyone to try playing like this, and it helped me learn individual micromanagement tactics for my men, due to only haveing one man to focus on.

Im really glad I got this game. Ive had many great hours playing it.
Old November 11, 2003, 17:33   #373
sabrewolf
Emperor

i can imagine this works for the single phase missions, but what if you're trying to take an alien base? you need powerful weapons for the near oponents, sniper rifle for the ones further away and inside, you'll want warp or plasma or granades...

and what will you do when you get retis with psi weapons?

but - respect if it works
Old November 11, 2003, 17:44   #374
Snotty
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

I may well run up against a wall that I cant defeat without constant saving/reloading, but Ive got to try.

My guys have great stats, and each of them ends up with their inventory full of different stuff so Ive got all the different damage types covered. I fight as little as I can, its much easier to sneak around with just two guys. Two guys simply cant put down the volume of fire to take everything face on.

As for MC, as always, just hope and pray.
Old November 11, 2003, 21:14   #375
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

MC can be defeated in teams, ie: One guy is the shotgun-toting crazy bezerker who runs directly up to the alien with the mind-control device. The other agent has a mind-control device of his own to either recapture his teammate back, or capture the enemy mind-controller and dissarm him.

In other news, I finally won the game!

This spoiler relates to the last room at the end of the game.
Spoiler:
Boy, those octopus things sure are immune to bullets. It was amazing just how much ammo I went through to kill two of them. It was amazing how much time it took me to realize that changing weapons to some of the stuff the retis had dropped would let me kill the octopuses so much quicker. After that, it was a cake-walk. The mind-control guy in the room caused me problems though, till he died.

Anti-climax, I feel though.
Old November 12, 2003, 12:58   #376
Raion
Prince

Well, what is it? Civ3Conquests.

I started a game on Hard in the U.S.
Number of guns (rifles) and poorer stats (well maybe not) and number of aliens.
Shotguns don't work too well with SpBlowers.

Anyway with modding, I sure the aliens can be tougher a little.
I lost all my team of 4 due to me, but started over, and only got one mission done.
The squaddies are not that good with handguns, can not move at first, and even till the end, probably due to me, Brian was not trainable yet. The other are, but don't have time to actually train, in the beginning since everything was lit up in the U.S. and time is a factor also.
So, I handled one mission with only 2 squaddies, Malcolm and Brian blowing up an installation, and that went well, but a shotgun only works sometimes. In one mission the shotgun worked with a Plecton, and then in the mission I lost them (due to one being really slow), and using a shotgun, just did not work. I had 3 squaddies left out of 5 by then, but Malcolm bought the farm in that one. 2 of the other 3 where injured also, and only one hit was needed. Yes, I could have won, that one, with a grenade, which is what I did, after that, but since the shotgun had worked so well with a close Plecton, it did not work so well with a farther away Plecton.

Just a few more Plectons in the game, would make it more difficult.
Well, not that far yet, since I start over just to see how it plays.
But actually did not make it further into the game, so it was not all that different.

More squaddies, it seems that more aliens show up.
So far, but then nothing is concrete yet, except my moves that get the squaddies killed.
Old November 14, 2003, 17:15   #377
Raion
Prince

I'm gonna start a game, and continue on despite myself, soon!
Old November 14, 2003, 17:40   #378
sabrewolf
Emperor

raion,

i see you're quite active on the official ufo:am forum and there's even a mod from you
Old November 14, 2003, 21:51   #379
Skanky Burns

Starting a game on hard now - tactics used on easy just don't work on hard. Fortunately there are quite a few tactics that still do work.
Old November 15, 2003, 03:27   #380
Raion
Prince

There is not a mod from me, unless someone else is using the same name.

I have not even finished the game yet, due to other things I have to do.
??
Old November 15, 2003, 09:17   #381
sabrewolf
Emperor

raion:
http://www.thefall.no/Aftermath/
i havn't had a look, but i imagined that that 5 MB raion.zip may be some kind of mod
Old November 16, 2003, 14:34   #382
Raion
Prince

Probably, the desktop pictures I sent in to the UK forum, but they were just pictures of the game. Had a contest for a T-shirt, but I got scolded for just sending in pictures one can take in the game with the game with Crtl-Alt-T (or J) for I think Targa (maybe *.tiff) or *.jpg images.

http://www.geocities.com/dimensional...athLoadUp.html

the last one like the other links I had before on this thread (some of them) with the loadup screen of the game for a desktop.
I guess more effort was needed, but then I did not have the time.

Remember all those links here in this thread:
Well, I sent in bitmap Windows pictures for the regular classic desktop of Windows of those pictures.

http://www.geocities.com/dimensional...ftermath1.html
http://www.geocities.com/dimensional...ftermath2.html
http://www.geocities.com/dimensional...ftermath3.html
http://www.geocities.com/dimensional...ftermath4.html
http://www.geocities.com/dimensional...ftermath5.html
http://www.geocities.com/dimensional...ftermath6.html

I guess they wanted more, but then I have some other things to do, and have not had all that much time to even play the game through yet.

Old November 16, 2003, 14:41   #383
Raion
Prince

First link was wrong:
http://www.geocities.com/dimensional...athLoadUp.html

Takes a while to load since it is a bitmap image and not a *.jpg image like the others, but the Raion.zip file contains all the pictures in bitmap form (*.bmp) .

Unless it is someone else.
That seems to be about the right file size for those 5 to 6 pictures.
I guess I did not compressed them either, and must of just stored the files. But, being busy, it was an oversight on my part, since I last used my zip program just to store some small files for MOO3, and well, that was a while back.
Old November 16, 2003, 14:47   #384
Raion
Prince

Oh, I exceeded my daily allowance transfer of the freebie site, should put them up on Tripod's site, but then, I probably will take them down sometime soon. Well, try again later, maybe the *.zip is better to download, but the one I use now is the first one link of the loadup screen now!

Old November 18, 2003, 15:16   #385
Raion
Prince

I also found out that downing my Refresh Rate from my normal 85 Hz with my GeForce card (which only used Compatibility VA mode with the game) to 75Hz, now makes all the Vertex Shading also work. Now I have wavy water and the UFO logo spinning, whereas before I did not.
It made the game look richer, and a little darker, so it was late, and I was going to go to a tactical mission, so I flew there to try it, and landed, but alas it will have to wait till tonight to try it or now, since I will have to see if I am using more memory with my Windows 2k Prof, and the game starts crashing or something due to lack of main memory or something.

But after a month now, I have a brand new game again!
Better late then never, I guess.
Have to try it, as I did not know that Refresh Rate would do that on my graphics GeForce Type 2 card.
Gees!

Old November 22, 2003, 03:04   #386
Raion
Prince

I guess everyone died here due to aliens or some other war, perhaps!

Goodbye and farewell!

In these troubled times, there may be troubled water, and more.

Don't forget the mods over at the other forum, listed somewhere here!

And yes, I am tired of Civ whatever, still, although I may play it, if there is sometime without something else coming up, whatever. I could go on and on, but I may as well get my squaddies all shot up!
Old November 22, 2003, 09:10   #387
sabrewolf
Emperor

obviously for most it's a play-once game. but then, otoh, c3c is out now and i guess i'll leave ufo for a while as soon as the worst civ3-bugs have been eliminated (gpt, corruption, etc)

but raion, keep posting ... i'd love to reach 400 posts in this thread
Old November 22, 2003, 10:46   #388
Snotty
King

Yes, conquests will have drawn a lot of players away from ufo, on this site anyway. I imagine Ill come back to it later though.
Old November 22, 2003, 11:16   #389
sabrewolf
Emperor

i don't think they'll come back too soon. with all these conquests, scenarios and not at least the epic game, it's sure to keep 'em busy.

however, if altar brings out a few new mission types, maybe even a different storyline or at least a good editor for the community, UFO:AM will stay a good alternative to civving
Old November 22, 2003, 16:02   #390
Raion
Prince

Well, I still have MOO3, and that I spent more time doing graphics than playing.

Someone said play Aftermath on Hard, so that will take a while for me. Mods are being done on the other forum, although I have not looked at any.

Civ is Civ, and I still have some scenarios still from Civ2 I never got to. I did try the XCOM one though, but that was different.

I am not sure what Altar is doing, or what will be done.

I am on medium level in the game although, I have started it more times, than anything.

I guess the newness has not worn off for me yet with Aftermath, so checking out some other games, and to me not much out there.

I will have to check around, and find out more about what can be done with Aftermath if anything else, or whatever is going on.