Old September 30, 2003, 23:12   #31
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 17:25
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
The battle ended as soon as it started, with my sole adversary already KO'd and being carried around by one of my grunts.
Could be a hidden feature, you know
Old October 1, 2003, 05:15   #32
Kropotkin
Emperor

Local Time: 11:25
Hard to ever get up at the level of fun of X-COM. They have failed with the sequels imho.

For me, it's interesting to know what kind of troops you're going to operate with. Either a 'role-playing' kind of game with soldiers that last or the 'WW2 Red Army' kind of battles where troops die on every mission as in the original game. I would like it to be the latter, but perhaps with more wounded and less dead.
Old October 1, 2003, 08:14   #33
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 09:25
Quote:
Originally posted by Kropotkin
Hard to ever get up at the level of fun of X-COM. They have failed with the sequels imho.

For me, it's interesting to know what kind of troops you're going to operate with. Either a 'role-playing' kind of game with soldiers that last or the 'WW2 Red Army' kind of battles where troops die on every mission as in the original game. I would like it to be the latter, but perhaps with more wounded and less dead.
That's one thing going for Apocalypse, your soldiers could last longer and you could equip them outside of combat, give them each specific roles, ect. I had one soldier that lasted through my entire game in Apocalypse only to die on the alien homeworld. (But I couldn't stop myself from save/loading to bring her back) She was a damn good agent too, you can really tell the difference in skill levels.

Do It Ourselves
Old October 1, 2003, 10:26   #34
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

btw: after several postponing, the UFO:AM should be in sales as of tomorrow (02.10.2003). at least that's what pcgames thinks:
http://www.pcgames.de/index.cfm?article_id=228760
Old October 1, 2003, 10:36   #35
Stuie
King

Local Time: 05:25
I'm definitely taking a wait-and-see attitude with Aftermath. I've read that you cannot enter buildings in terror missions; that's a big turn-off. One of the best parts of X-Com was sneaking in and out of buildings to bag the aliens.

There are indoor missions - but they are strictly indoors; there apparently is no mixing the two.
Old October 1, 2003, 13:27   #36
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 04:25
Quote:
Originally posted by Stuie
I'm definitely taking a wait-and-see attitude with Aftermath. I've read that you cannot enter buildings in terror missions; that's a big turn-off. One of the best parts of X-Com was sneaking in and out of buildings to bag the aliens.

There are indoor missions - but they are strictly indoors; there apparently is no mixing the two.
If thats accurate, then that is a turn off. I loved shooting through floors and closing doors and everything. Much more enjoyable and tense. What lurks in that building, behind that bale of hay?
Old October 1, 2003, 13:45   #37
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 10:25
Interestingly, this game is "a blend of real time and turn based action". Last time around they gave a choice, and most hardcore X-Commers went for TB.
Old October 2, 2003, 04:11   #38
Raion
Prince

The official site is here:

http://www.ufo-aftermath.com/pages/headquarters.html

And it is more outdoorsey, so entering buildings just is not needed.

But you can enter UFO's and protect your bases, when there is a threat.

Otherwise, since Freedom Ridge got muddled through, and they could not use it, I guess, they started over, and ended up with a pretty nice game, as far as I am concerned.

Rated 8.8 out of 10 from one place.
Well, its all there at the site, and some of the beta ratings.

Won't be in the USA till about Oct. 13, 2003.
Came out first in Europe.
Since Mythos got cancelled, a while back now, and Altar took it over, after all that hassle with it.

Looks good to me!
But it will be different, and harder, I think, as the aliens are better.
Old October 2, 2003, 04:28   #39
Kropotkin
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld
That's one thing going for Apocalypse, your soldiers could last longer and you could equip them outside of combat, give them each specific roles, ect.
Obviously that's good. In the first game you couldn't really decide who was to jump out first from the lander etc. That way you'd risk you best soldiers in that sometimes critical phase before you've established yourself. Meanwhile, the one in the rear that got the heavy stuff, was a weak rookie that could hardly cope. Yeah, it's nice with vets, but I'd like to see many wounded and dead. With more choices I'd put the rookies in the first line and save the vets for more specific jobs. When it came to storming the alien ship you could often do that. As the first one that got in was bound to be shot sooner or later I always tried to use some loser for the job of opening the door.

I don't like a game where a soldiers experience is so important that you can't afford to lose them. This quote from the site "It is very important that you do so, in fact, as a group of random, average soldiers who are good at everything and excellent at nothing will get chewed up as the opponents become tougher. You need to create a solid team with a good group of interlocking skills to win. " points in that direction.

Last edited by Kropotkin; October 2, 2003 at 05:57.
Old October 2, 2003, 04:33   #40
Kropotkin
Emperor

Just looked at a few more of the pics. Bah, more of that 'modern' graphics. It's like the first impression of HoMM IV all over again

I wish game designers spent more time on the game itself instead of graphics that's just slow the machine down.
Old October 2, 2003, 08:16   #41
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

What's up with that biomass crap.

And do I have a nice supply of apple seeds to combat it?

I will have to wait on the players' reviews of the game, don't want a MoO3 experience again, soon anyway.
Old October 2, 2003, 13:40   #42
Raion
Prince

Actually the little I know about it, the reviewers seem to think that they compensate for it.

Afterall XCOM was cancelled, and it did not work, so, this game had to be different.

Anyway, in Apocalypse, I get tired of loading up the troops with weapons, taking it off, for some raids, and putting it back on, so UFO:Aftermath is also different in some different respects, but also they had to make it different to avoid paying a license fee.
They made that part easier, I think.
The graphics look better in UFO:Aftermath than a picture on the Internet.
And MOOIII, I own, and I still can not get into that game, but I will. I also own Civ III, and will also play that game, some day (I think its from playing CivII so much).
But I also own Homeworld, and I will not even look at Homeworld II, although some players will like it.
I also own XCOM Collector's Edition, but UFOefense still hangs up, every now and then.
So, any game lately, except for Pirates when it comes out, just seems like more graphic stuff, and less game.
At least in UFO:Aftermath, one can treat it like a turn-based game, and it seems to do pretty good in the AI, and they compensate later on, in the game, for all of the other stuff with the agents, but then again, if I had to wait for XCOM, well, it may never be done.
So, UFO:Aftermath, is different, but similiar, and reviewers doing the beta, say the graphics look real good, and they did not miss some of the other stuff.
Its more strategic in scope from the original XCOM.
Its been all discuss on their forum -- Messages link there on the main page.
So, what else, can one do.
They also had a screen shot at one of the places that showed a laser (?) type weapon, and the aliens are just better.
It will be different though!
More game - y, someone quoted.
Not sure what that means yet.
But, it seems to work good also, which is something that some other games, have not done lately!
Makes me wonder, what happened to games.
So, most people there, did not want super graphics, but wanted a -- game!
And they do discuss that at the -- Messages forum there.
I also want a game, and this game, at least the reviewers seem to get lost in it.
Click on one of the == vote for the game, and maybe HappyPuppy.com -- lists some of the other reviews of the alpha and beta of the game.
One reviewer of the beta gave it a 8.8, and only cited the camera controls as being awkward.
Old October 2, 2003, 13:48   #43
Raion
Prince

Oh, I don't think the player has to hunt for the last alien, either, but then, I have to review about that.

It has more depth to the game, than UFO: Defense has to it -- for a game.

Waiting to see.
No doubt, some people will like it - dispite what shortcomings it has - because it has other things in it, and some players probably will not, I guess!
It is more game, than graphics though!
Old October 2, 2003, 13:51   #44
Raion
Prince

The aliens killed off most of humanity, and are transforming the planet with the biomass - so you are a resistance force -- although there are others also around the Planet -- and missions are many to choose from later on - but one can not do all of them, and the computer resolves some of the ones, so it is much what the player does in the game - to win, before the biomass ends all life here on Planet Earth!
Old October 2, 2003, 13:54   #45
Raion
Prince

The aliens came back with a vengence after UFO: Defense and did not negoistiate (sp?) with humanity anymore, after you killed the aliens in UFO: Defense.
Old October 2, 2003, 14:39   #46
Raion
Prince

Better to read it from someone else.

All about it in links like HappyPuppy.com where more reviews are listed with alpha and beta copies of it.

Sad, but no demo was made, as work on the game was being done to get it done good.
Some people in Germany with copy protection problems, but that is Germany, and it will be different in US.
Afterall, some people in Scotland and England just got the game as well as some other European Countries.
Most report it as a good game!

Gamespot links.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/...w_6072650.html

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/...w_6072650.html

Old October 2, 2003, 14:46   #47
asleepathewheel
Emperor

5 consecutive posts?

I read the preview on gamespot, it looks interesting.
Biomass is a cheesy concept to me.

Did I read that preview right, you get 7 soldiers? forthe whole game, or you can replace them?? I liked having tons of rookies that I could kill off until I get some nice braves.
Old October 2, 2003, 15:58   #48
Raion
Prince

Here's another link about reviews.

Only seven on a mission, seven more in training and any number of rookies - if you can find anyone left. You can not hire them, humanity is destroyed -- pick up staglers so to speak.

The Internet is slow today, my phone line is static - y. So last link, as I am still looking.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/913875.asp

The aliens have force fields it looks like in the game.

No bases to buy or build, but get them through gaining more territory, and pick up new recuits wandering around the planet, and build different bases - some to contain the biomass - since if it takes over all the Earth - you lose.

So more night, and day tactical missions -- out in all kinds of scenary - desert - jungle -- forests -- cities (all gone nothing inside of buildings and the aliens don't care what humanity had in the buildings anyway - are not interested in HDTV or anything - no football - no soccer -- no nuthin' so to speak -- no people -- all gone -- all destroyed).

Grim!
Old October 3, 2003, 17:48   #49
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Sounds alot more like Jagged Allegiance then X-Com.

Apparently there are only 20 soldiers available in the game.

Do It Ourselves
Old October 4, 2003, 02:51   #50
Urban Ranger
Deity

Only? They'd better be superhumans!
Old October 4, 2003, 03:31   #51
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 20:25
Or save/reload combat built-in!

"Jones walks through the front door of the downed ufo. Oh no, the alien standing next to the door is rather alert. Jones dies.
*loading*
Jones throws a grenade through a hole in the downed ufo's roof. Oh no, it bounces off the ufo and lands next to Jones. Jones dies.
*loading*
Jones throws a grenade through a hole in the downed ufo's roof. It goes in. A muffled alien scream is heard.
*saving*"
Old October 4, 2003, 05:49   #52
Kropotkin
Emperor

And what kind of fun is that? If the soldiers are not dispensable like paper tissue I never buy the game. That was one of my favorite parts of the old game. Used to add serial number (310 for march 10 etc) before their name to se how long they could stay alive.
Old October 4, 2003, 06:50   #53
DrSpike
Deity

Did anyone ever play Apocalypse in real time? I know its kinda heretical, but I tried it once..........I thought it was trickier than TB.
Old October 4, 2003, 07:36   #54
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
And what kind of fun is that?
The fun is in whomping alien butt
Old October 4, 2003, 08:06   #55
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike
Did anyone ever play Apocalypse in real time? I know its kinda heretical, but I tried it once..........I thought it was trickier than TB.
I played it alot in real time, and it was much easier. Just line all your people up with machine gunes /disrupter guns and sweep through the map like a mobile firing squad.

Do It Ourselves
Old October 4, 2003, 08:12   #56
DrSpike
Deity

I think TB was easier..........you had more control.
Old October 4, 2003, 08:42   #57
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

But you didn't need any control in real time, just line up a firing squad and fastforward untill some hapless alien opens a door and gets blasted by 20 disrupter shots.

Do It Ourselves
Old October 4, 2003, 13:12   #58
Raion
Prince

You can have 7 soldiers in a squad -- 7 in training at a base -- and more recuits waiting to be in training next.

Just because the game is harder, does not mean that it should be like XCOM. It is not XCOM. They did not make XCOM. It is lucky that this game was even developed, and it also will have it pros and cons. But, with some people already playing it across the seas, it seems to be as good or better.

http://www.ufo-aftermath.com/pages/headquarters.html

Anyway XCOM UFOefense had it faults.
How many times can an alien jump out of the UFO and kill any one with proximity gernades?
None!!

The new game is at least as similiar as it can be without paying a license for the old game, or the new game that was being made, and sold, because it as an XCOM (the new one) did not even work!

What kind of aliens are those?
The human alien species -- as usual -- full of it, perhaps!

At least there is no money in the new game!
Hello, we are invaded by aliens and 99% of humanity is killed off, and someone wants me to buy that gun from them!

Yea, that about as nuts as it gets!
I could see some others trying to do that with the greed.
Hello, do you want to eat today?

Humans are dangerous only to themselves!
The aliens might as well take us over!
We are your slaves, thank you aliens!

Get a life!
Old October 5, 2003, 04:04   #59
Kropotkin
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
The fun is in whomping alien butt
A victory without sacrifice is no true victory. I just don't want to reload all the time, I don't play arcade games.
Old October 5, 2003, 04:57   #60
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
A victory without sacrifice is no true victory.

There are sacrifices. Civilians getting killed by aliens, etc.