Old October 13, 2003, 13:44   #181
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 09:25
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
which are you favorite weapons? most are either too weak, too slow (rps), too short ranged or just too heavy
Favorite Pistol:
HK USP9 - Decent range for a pistol, and it has a mean burst fire.

Favorite SMG:
HK PDW/MP7 - Awsome weapon, it has great range in burst fire (higher then it's aimed shots, infact) and has a devastating burst fire. One skilled soldier with this weapon can tear an alien to bits before it gets a chance to fire. You need to watch the ammo when using it in medium range (where alot of bullets are wasted) because it can go through clips fast, despite having 45 rounds a clip.

Favorite Assault Rifles:
Steyr Aug - Great range, decent damage, and a good burst fire.
HKG11 K5 - Not as good range or aimed shot as the Aug, but it has a much nastier burst fire.

Favorite Heavy Weapons:
Super Striker - It's an automatic grenade launcher (as seen in Terminator 2), what more could you want? Put it in the hands of a skilled grenadier and you can land half a dozen grenades all the way across the map in a couple of seconds.
Flame Thrower:
Absolutely great weapon for clearing out tight spaces (namely alien UFOs and Bases). Just one blast from it can roast everything in the room.

Quote:
anyhow, what combination of 'heavies'/ sniper rifles/ handguns/ psi do you guys use at around 30 bases?
It varies depending on who's in sickbay or training, or who I've been neglecting. But generally I have 1 sniper, one or two heavy weapons, and the rest equiped with a mixture of rifles and smgs. (Mostly smgs since finding a number of HK PDW/MP7s.)

Do It Ourselves
Old October 13, 2003, 13:58   #182
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 11:25
Only did Europe Start.
Which seems harder as the Secret Mission #1 is on the other Side of the Globe ;=)
(Myself I first did Secret Mission #2 before reaching tolerable Flight range)

Rifles (Combat Rifles like G3, not Assault rifles) rock for quite a while but are utterly useless indoors.

At 15 bases I reequiped my Men.
They were:
3 Smg (mp7/pdw+P90) 2 G3 and one for tearing walls with the 6-shot grenadelauncher

Spoiler:

I switched three to Lasers which are superior to Sniper Rifles imo, and the Launcher for Plasma Launcher.
At this Point you can finally carry a second Weapon in backpack due to lighter armor

At 30 Bases
Spoiler:

I equipped One with E -HA and W-D (warp) for the heavy work. also switched the Lasers with the next generation.
(enhanced alien laser) 1 Smg left which I switched to AUG so I have one who does Universal Damage.
The Human Plasma Rifle seems utterly useless- ammo of 4
I still have several alien weapons I did not try out yet

Sidenote: New rectruits level seems to be smth. like average level/2 +1
Old October 13, 2003, 13:59   #183
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 10:25
Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Thats a tad harsh for you, Spike.
Time to invest in a new graphics card?
Well as luck would have it I was planning to get a nice Radeon anyway. But not this month I'm afraid.
Old October 13, 2003, 14:05   #184
Main_Brain
King

Quote:
Mostly smgs since finding a number of HK PDW/MP7s.
I used to too but I began running low on ammo.
Whole Team Smg and had only 41 Clips left..

Quote:
anyhow, what combination of 'heavies'/ sniper rifles/ handguns/ psi do you guys use at around 30 bases?
One Heavy, no snipers, No handgun, no Psi, Rest Alien rifles
(I get Willpower or preferable Int high for defense )

I dont like to shoot on my own soldiers so I flank and try to kill the controlling bastard.

Im thinking over switchidn all but one Scout to Heavy now that the really sweet heavy weaponery appeared :=)
But im scared that I cant evade the Missiles then
Old October 13, 2003, 14:43   #185
Raion
Prince

Well, I am using no weapons as of now.

Buy a cheap GeForce 4 card, as they work well, and have only one driver for any type of those cards.
The ATI may be better, but usually the drivers may need some work, as in that Catalyst Driver whatever that is.
Odd numbers -- seem to be a beta driver, even numbers seem to be the required driver, but then after reading all of that about the 9600 card, I glad I did not pick that up either.

Then it takes a 300 watt power supply and some need some type of 4 prong connection to plug in the somewhere, and all of that leaves me buying a new computer.
I think a cheaper GeForce 4 type card will do me for awhile and it only needs a 250 watt power supply from the computer to have in it.
Afterall, by the time one spends the money, something new is coming out, since it continues.
The one reviewer was using a Geforce 3 type card, and the game ran fine, and had a 3200 or 3gB machine.
So, I guess I will keep my Geforce 2 card, although, I was thinking if I bought a better card, then I could use it in my next computer.

But then, it takes a mightier computer in the first place than what I have, and my computer is really not all that old.
Oh, well, I think that the game works at least with that Hercules card, but the textures are off.
It takes probably 2-3 years before anyone can use any of those features are a newer video card, and then, that may depend on the card, so having more, is not always meaning that anyone is programming it.
And unified drivers like Geforce makes getting updated drivers -- just too easy -- since there is only one, although I see ATI going that way also, but somewhere when I had an ATI card, it was get this driver for that card, and then, no more drivers were made.
I am still using my old Geforce 2 card with the latest drivers, although part of what they include is not used, but then, I just need the drivers and not the extras that are included.
I suppose someday I will even get a DVD.
And if games had a bigger budget, there would be more in games, but then, some would not want those games either anymore.

I am bored, well, back to some work to get done, so when the game arrives in the store, I can let my squaddies die, die, die, in the game!
Old October 13, 2003, 14:57   #186
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

osweld

thanks for your tipps. it turns out i've chosen the same heavy weapons and SMGs.

for the sniper rifles i've always gone for the 'accuracy internations L115AE'. it's very light, has a far better aimed shot that your two (160 vs 56 and 60), nearly double the range (70m vs your ~40m) and a bit slower (0.5rps vs your 0.7rps). the biggest disadvantage is, that it hasn't got a burst method. but it's damage is universal, so it will harm any type of enemy.
on outside missions it's great because i can weaken far away units before they can reach get me. it just sucks if you start off right nearby enemy units. maybe i should have 2 types. longrange (mine) and middle range (yours)

there's also another long rifle: 'ZVI Falcon OP96'. even further (75m), much stronger (250), just a lot slower (0.3rps vs 0.7rpg) and also no burst. and very heavy (12kg)...

ever tried them?
Old October 13, 2003, 15:25   #187
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by sabrewolf

for the sniper rifles i've always gone for the 'accuracy internations L115AE'.
I've only found one of those so far, but yes - it's a nice sniper weapon and that's what my sniper is usually using.

Quote:
there's also another long rifle: 'ZVI Falcon OP96'. even further (75m), much stronger (250), just a lot slower (0.3rps vs 0.7rpg) and also no burst. and very heavy (12kg)...

ever tried them?
I don't think I've seen that rifle yet.

Do It Ourselves
Old October 13, 2003, 15:58   #188
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld
I don't think I've seen that rifle yet.
well... in a second thought (and a try): it's just got two shots per clip!
Old October 13, 2003, 17:16   #189
Raion
Prince

Game over, dude!
Game over!

Man, these aliens are something.

How many times are you reloading the game?
Old October 13, 2003, 20:50   #190
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 20:25
I play the "Thief" method - save before missions but never during them.
Old October 13, 2003, 21:25   #191
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Raion

How many times are you reloading the game?
I never reload. Iron man, baby.

( Maybe I should try making a :flex: smiley )

Do It Ourselves
Old October 14, 2003, 01:56   #192
Raion
Prince

Oh, you people are trying to get a couple of games in before it comes out in the stores, uh?

Attention, Attention, 4077 Phoneix Mash Unit, this is your Commander.

Klinger, get out of that alien skin and quit wearing it as a dress, before someone shoots you.

Sir, there are no aliens down here in the bunker.

KLINGER NOW!

Yes, Sir!

Now, I know some of you people are tired of hearing this, but tonight we're having alien meatballs with macaroni again. I know, I know, we just did not expect this influx of other people down here in the bunker, and we have to make a new estimate on how much food we have. The hydroponic farm is still being fixed, so if you see some vegetables out on missions, be sure to let us know. We'll have some people go and harvest some to tie us along.

Oh, by the way, the scientists think that they can make some sort of sauce to go on that meal from the biomass, but are not sure yet, they're still working to figure out if we can eat it.

Don't forget that Friday night at 18:00 hours, Crazy Hot Lips Hanna, will be performing again down in Section C, in the movie hall, before supper at 19:00 hours. I know, I know, some of you soldiers hate the part where she sings about rubbing alien guts all over her body, and wearing one of their heads as a helmet, but hey, most of the guys like that song, just don't oogle her, and get too close to her when she performs, or you might be mounted next to one of the aliens down at the AlienParts Emporium Center in Section D, when she done. We can't afford to have her take half of our own soldiers out, we need you all to fight the aliens.

Oh, by the way, the scientists are discussing making up something else with that biomass also. They think that once you get pass the smell, with some drinks you won't care what it smells like anymore. We'll be giving you further notices about some of those alien distilled spirits, as soon as we can.

Remember anyone, puking at the dinner table will be eating alien guts for the next two weeks. Sorry, we have to keep some type of order down here in the bunker, and the others just don't think it goes too well for all of them, having someone puke at the dinner table.

Klinger! I'll shoot you if you do not get out of that alien skin!

I going, Sir!

Good!

4077 Phoneix Mash Unit Commander Out!
Old October 14, 2003, 02:31   #193
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

With my games, I tend to either win without any deaths, or my entire squad dies, generally at the same time. But I'm learning from my mistakes anyway, and now no longer have my entire squad near a door when they open it to see whats on the other side.

I may convert to ironman though. Do you get the same number of recruits as died, or do they just come whenever as per usual. I don't have too many spare soldiers.
Old October 14, 2003, 05:27   #194
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Do you get the same number of recruits as died,

More or less. I haven't lost my entire squad in quite a long time, but it seems to bring you back up to the number you had before quite quickly.

Do It Ourselves
Old October 14, 2003, 07:10   #195
Grumbold
Emperor

I was on hard mode for ages, which may have changed the profile of weapons I received since I had no decent alien weapons for a long time. Instead I've been doing lots and lots of missions with the G3 as my regular gun, one G11 and a couple of the best sniper rifles I can lay my hands on. So far its been fine.

Outdoors, my squaddies have range on everything so they just shoot it up at a distance. Indoors I line up in the longest corridor I can find and wait for the enemy to come to me. It may be cheesy since people are shooting through each other to hit the enemy, but you have to go with what works.

Thanks possibly to some very high rifle and alien skill levels I seem to squeeze enough damage out of single shot fire to take down almost everything fast (the main squaddies are lvls 10-13). I really ought to pack some short range stuff like flamethrowers for the UFO missions though. All 3 missions so far have been close run things. Thank god for heavy combat armor!
Old October 14, 2003, 12:54   #196
Skanky Burns

Damn. Just captured my first alien base, it was rather hard. At one stage I was being attacked by a reticulan and had all 7 soldiers in the room they started in. The next second I had 2 soldiers and 5 injured in the room and a reticulan still attacking. Fortunately I could finish him off in time and then get everyone healed and ready to fight again. The problem is I couldn't very well spread my soldiers out - they can't walk thorugh walls and just sending them out by themselves into alien-infested corridors is not a recipe for long life.

Once the initial rush was over though, I could start moving around and start the battles on my terms. Not too many injuries after that, and I finished that mission with everyone coming back home. And then had 5 soldiers suddenly go into sick bay once they got back to base, which now that I think about it was instantaneous due to the fact I had just captured a base.

I really wish I had more than one chopper, and could go after various targets at the same time though. That, or I could use a concord to get from A to B within a reasonable amount of time. Asia is too big.
Old October 15, 2003, 01:55   #197
Raion
Prince

Well, the game should be shipping, soon to be in the stores in a few days.
Old October 15, 2003, 02:55   #198
Skanky Burns

Quote:
wow, i think this is my first thread that'll reach 100 posts
And then some.
Old October 15, 2003, 03:02   #199
bakalov
Prince

Local Time: 12:25
Here is how I solve the early capacity problems:
When I want to go for several missions at the same time I load my people with very heavy loads 200-300%. When the mission starts I drop most of the stuff. When the mission is about to end I am not eager to end it, but continue instead and return to pick up my "stored" equipment :-)
Old October 15, 2003, 07:27   #200
sabrewolf
Emperor

Quote:

And then some.
groovy baby, groovy

otoh, it's the only thread here about UFO:AM so there's not much competition!

oh, an btw: i've finished the game ... but no spoilers here... except... it's tough, don't forget to take enough ammo and medkits in the last mission
Old October 15, 2003, 08:02   #201
Grumbold
Emperor

Got my first Neostead Combat Shotguns last night. Base capturing just got a lot easier
Old October 15, 2003, 11:03   #202
Grumbold
Emperor

Quote:
oh, an btw: i've finished the game

What do you think of its replayability? Itching to give it another go on difficult level, maybe play it again in a couple of months or file on the shelf to gather dust?
Old October 15, 2003, 11:11   #203
sabrewolf
Emperor

well, yes, i'm itching to play it again... a lot of strategies that i found towards the end worked way better...

but i had to delete it immediatly. it already costed me several days and long nights to get this far and i just havn't got the time (exams coming up in january, and i'm 2 months behind in learning).

if only the AI were as good as soren's civ3-AI, we'd all be fighting around to win the first reticulan mission on the easiest level

edit: bad my english be. like yoda sentences, i did.
Old October 15, 2003, 13:31   #204
Raion
Prince

Well, the game should be shipping today!

But then, I also have other work to get done!

I think after Christmas, I may have more time to spend.

Well, maybe it gets to the store today, have to go, and check soon!

Radar O'Reilly ---

Incoming!
Old October 15, 2003, 13:32   #205
Main_Brain
King

The Good:
Brought Flamethrower to Alien Base Mission
The Bad:
Didnt saw that he wasn't in the Green Circle so he didnt come inside.
The Ugly:
the Guy was the Only Survivor of that Mission
Old October 15, 2003, 15:19   #206
sabrewolf
Emperor

Old October 15, 2003, 16:26   #207
Raion
Prince

The game will be in the store by Friday according to the store.

I left a post about whether the US version will use the same patch as the UK version, since I do not know.

Also if it will work with Win2kProf, since I read some other stuff, but all my other games do.

Music from "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly"!

Ya, that's a point to bring up. Having a scene in a cemetary.
Old October 15, 2003, 17:59   #208
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Raion

I left a post about whether the US version will use the same patch as the UK version, since I do not know.
The readme says that only the UK version needs the patch, and that all other versions are already 1.1a

Do It Ourselves
Old October 15, 2003, 20:32   #209
Skanky Burns

I think my version is broken. I decided to start playing ironman, and over the course of the next 10 or so missions, I have been averaging 1 dead every second mission. Quite good considering it is base invading and base defending missions I'm doing. The problem is I haven't gotten any new recruits to replace these lost soldiers. What with my injured people sitting in the base healing, at one stage I only had 1 soldier ready for battle. Currently I only have 2 spare soldiers - and even they are both out of action healing.
Old October 15, 2003, 20:40   #210
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Unless I keep losing them every mission, I almost always get a replacement every time a single soldier dies during a mission. Of course, I always return to base and don't do marathon missions like some of you seem to. So maybe you're losing them too fast.

Do It Ourselves