Old October 15, 2003, 22:02   #211
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 20:25
Local Date: November 2, 2010
These are base-capturing missions, so I end up back at base after winning.
Old October 16, 2003, 02:07   #212
Raion
Prince

Local Time: 09:25
I think they are going to have a couple more patches, probably almost done with another one about something, but some more work is needed to be done.

Best to check with main board, I guess about all of that.
Old October 16, 2003, 03:55   #213
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 11:25
Did you capture New Bases? and let them Stay Military?
The Amnount of Military Bases affects your No of Recruits as you 'prolly know.
Old October 16, 2003, 05:00   #214
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

main_brain

well, that's the strategy part of the game. more military bases means shorter flight paths and -as you said- more recruits (although i never had more than 15 soldier iirc, even with way over 30 bases). but you need to research and develop... so it's a trade-off.

and because the damn chopper is so slow (get a mission at the south pole and you're flying 4 days each direction ), you may want to keep a certain density of military bases...
Old October 16, 2003, 05:27   #215
bakalov
Prince

Local Time: 12:25
I wouldn't count on the replacing ..... Probably there is no soldier replacing at all. If the new soldiers appear at the same rate as you lose them, then this may look like replacing but actually it is not.

Instead, do not lose your soldiers. Always bring and use medikits. Armor helps too, I think.
In the early game the only very dangerous places imo are if you run into some kind of kamikadze spore things that fly to you and explode, with relatively small amount of soldiers, and the other is the alien plasma weapons. You may want to abort a mission if you feel overwhelmed and save some lives too.
Old October 16, 2003, 05:57   #216
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 10:25
Quote:
Originally posted by bakalov
You may want to abort a mission if you feel overwhelmed and save some lives too.
And let the aliens get all smug? Sod that, throw a few more agents on the fire.
Old October 16, 2003, 06:18   #217
Grumbold
Emperor

I had only 4 squad members for a long time, then got 4 more in a rush and now have about 17. It would be 10, but I reloaded the russian secret base mission after my best team got utterly stomped
Old October 16, 2003, 07:10   #218
Main_Brain
King

I tried to do it Risk-Style with an Outer Ring of Mil Bases.
butI forgot those Alien Attacks that tend to pop up Deep in you territory
Old October 16, 2003, 07:24   #219
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Quote:
Originally posted by Main_Brain
Did you capture New Bases? and let them Stay Military?
The Amnount of Military Bases affects your No of Recruits as you 'prolly know.
Yes, no, no. Thanks for that info, it should help in my newer game.

And this restart is due to that Russian secret base mission - pure evil that is. I brought along a flamer to take out any close encounters, but they slaughtered him before he even managed to get a shot off - and this was with one of them opening the door to where my soldiers started in the base.
Old October 16, 2003, 07:24   #220
Grumbold
Emperor

I'm going honeycomb. If the sector isn't neighbouring at least one military base, it should be one. There seems to be very little to research anyway at this stage, so manufacturing and military are getting the priority.
Old October 16, 2003, 07:46   #221
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

the good thing: you can use bases switched to military immediatly. so if your research centre is a lot nearer, you can always make it a temporary military base and switch back when done...
Old October 16, 2003, 11:32   #222
Snotty
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

The demo is out today at http://www.ufo-aftermath.com/pages/headquarters.html . 170mb.

I think a fair few people must be after it as I had to retry for a few minutes as the server was too busy.
Old October 16, 2003, 14:19   #223
BeBro
Emperor

I played the demo, and found it quite good. However, one thing was baaaad: The slooow animations during move and attack sequences. My comp is well over the minimum hardware requirements (I have 1 GHz, 768 MHz RAM, GeForce 2 MX).

Maybe it has to do with the fact that I had to switch to ""use_safe_refresh" mode in the config file, otherwise the game didn´t run (black screen, sound ok -- I use Win2k). Any advice from those who have the full game -- are there more options (eg lower screen res) to make it faster? Or should I look for a newer driver for my gfx card?
Old October 16, 2003, 14:57   #224
Raion
Prince

There are some posts over at that main site I gave the URL to. There is a file, I think that you can change to change the refresh, but then I would have to recheck myself since I will also be using Windows 2K, and that OS is actually the problem, since it does not have optimal or default like Windows 98SE. The recommended system at the publisher's webite is 2gHz now, and GeForce 4 MX type card.
Newer drivers may help, and Direct X 9.0b version, but other than that, all I can say is check.

If it is from the UK version of the game, there was a patch, and maybe the demo has the patch included and maybe it does not.
Other than that, I do not know what language version the demo is in, but since it has been only released here fro the US, well, I just do not know, could be UK version where some slowdown was occuring or maybe not.
Old October 16, 2003, 15:10   #225
BeBro
Emperor

Just installed the latest NVidia drivers, didn´t help much

I just played the tutorial of the demo and even with only one soldier the anims were slow as hell. Maybe it is time to get a newer gfx card, however, I don´t play that much generally. OTOH, I really liked the demo (except this speed issue of course, but game play wise).
Old October 16, 2003, 15:29   #226
DrSpike
Deity

Characteristically these days there are loads of bugs, and problems with several cards. Check here.........for most problems there are possible fixes.

http://www.chatbear.com/board.plm?a=...v=flatold&s=80
Old October 16, 2003, 15:36   #227
Raion
Prince

New patch for English Version (UK) -- US version?? I do not know, maybe needed.

http://www.chatbear.com/board.plm?a=...4217&v=flatold

Ya, I think it is the config file, but I am not sure what to change yet in that file, so one can run it at a higher refresh rate, but then, some things are turning to mush in my brain since reading about the game, so I have to recheck, and never got an answer yet, about if the same patch is needed for US version, although one reviewer at GameRankings.com said so for the US version, but then I guess the best way is finding out for one's self.

It total mayhem and confusion.

Klinger! Go count the dead alien parts again.
But Sir, I just counted them!
Go, Klinger!
But Sir!, I am always in the AlienParts Emporium Center.
Go, Klinger!
Sir, can I wear my alien skin skirt, Sir?
KLINGER!
Yes, Sir!
If, I find you in any alien skin, I'll shoot you!
Goin' now, Sir!

Not much to do down here in the bunker, think I will check with the scientists and see how that biomass brew is coming along.
Old October 16, 2003, 15:57   #228
Snotty
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Hmm. The demo is pretty good. Definetly something Im going to keep an eye out for.

The strategic map of the world made me smile. Its like being back home
Old October 16, 2003, 19:21   #229
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 03:25
Okay, I don't know if something's wrong with the world or with my computer, but this is the second new game that crashes right off the bat.

First was the Worms3D demo, which produced a nice little core dump as soon as I executed the file.

Now, this. I get to the menu alright, and the game allows me to check out the options, and when I click play, it shows me a progress bar, but as soon as it reaches 100%, I get myself a NULL pointer exception!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	null-pointer.gif
Views:	50
Size:	3.1 KB
ID:	55153  
Spore page
Old October 16, 2003, 19:57   #230
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 04:25
:jealous:

of those who have the game, not the above post
Old October 17, 2003, 02:22   #231
Raion
Prince

vovansim, that is also covered over there in support at one of those links.

I think that means, but not sure, that actually it did not reach 100% install, but I would have to check at the link that Dr. Spike listed.
There are other threads, also there.
Old October 17, 2003, 03:56   #232
Skanky Burns

Irony.

Discovering a cheat (shooting the ground with a shotgun) to level up your soldiers very quickly which, due to working best in an environment where there are no enemies around, is very very safe.

Using said cheat to get one soldier up to level 19 when his friends are all at level 4 or lower.

Accidently clicking on the square he is standing on when setting his firing waypoints, so halfway through his firing practice he suddenly blows his own head off.

Old October 17, 2003, 05:23   #233
DrSpike
Deity

Once again your sig. is correct. Glad to see you got your just desserts.
Old October 17, 2003, 07:14   #234
Skanky Burns

All in all, it was a good thing though. I used my worst soldier for the test as I was planning on firing him anyway - who needs someone who is an expert at handguns but pathetic at everything else? Anyway, I loaded from before he blew his head off to continue the test.

Once I ascertained that shooting the ground really did increase experience (3 or four levels per mission, no less), I sent my now super-soldier off to get killed by the reticulans.

"There's one - I'll run right up to him and then shoot him - he won't last long using this strategy!" I thought to myself. But no, he ran up, got hit once and then shot the alien. One shot, one kill. I healed him and then sent him off once again to get killed, but no, he cleared out the area and made it safe for everyone to enter the aliens base.

"Oh well, I always lose soldiers when attacking these bases", I think to myself. Long story short, this one soldier with a shotgun cleared out every single alien from the base, even in a room with 3 of them. Nice tactic, nice.

I ended up firing the guy after the test and began a new test - trying the shotgun run with a lower skilled person. I chose someone who was fast and had good rifle skills, and he did well too. Wow, a great tactic discovered. And my level 19 guy didn't look too shabby either, super heroic for many stats.

I will have to see how this tactic stands up when the aliens start fielding their heavier weaponry though.
Old October 17, 2003, 07:51   #235
Main_Brain
King

Question:
Is there I way I can thell the Planes not to shoot down the Ufo before it reaches Land?
Just downed a Battleship.. into the Ocean 5mm before the Arctic ARgghh
Old October 17, 2003, 08:10   #236
sabrewolf
Emperor

i just couldn't bare not playing anymore. i had to install it again last night... after my last dreams all were about UFO

it's funny how i know find new things which i didn't see before. e.g. that to kill those darn slimethrowers you need to get extremely close with an UZI (i was so used to the sniper rifles, etc.).... so you're scattering aroung, trying to avoid those slimeshot. now, i've finally been reading the glossary more careful and seen, that a single HG can take it out with no problem...

it's real fun to get to know the game all over again. it just sucks that your soldiers are too weak to carry a gun plus a medkit, etc.

does that "shooting-the-ground"-exploit really work? just with shotguns or does it also work with other weapons. and is the ground enough or does something have to break?
Old October 17, 2003, 08:18   #237
BeBro
Emperor

For those who had a similar prob with slow anims -- switching shadows "off" in the coinfig file helps a lot
Old October 17, 2003, 08:31   #238
sabrewolf
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Main_Brain
Question:
Is there I way I can thell the Planes not to shoot down the Ufo before it reaches Land?
Just downed a Battleship.. into the Ocean 5mm before the Arctic ARgghh
no, you can only retreat. but then they won't reengage until they have returned and refuelled.

so you downed a battleship? that's great... probably he was on the way to your base to slaughter all your recruits
Old October 17, 2003, 12:23   #239
BeBro
Emperor

For those who own the full game: can you also get scifi interceptors or transport craft during the game, or are they always those F18s (or so) and Chinook helis I saw in the intro movie?
Old October 17, 2003, 12:55   #240
Grumbold
Emperor

I've not finished, but there's no sign of totally new craft yet. The existing craft just get uprated specifications. By the time you have fast moving choppers and base to base hopping you can get to any mission fast, and my fighters are doing okay against the enemy too.