Old October 17, 2003, 15:43   #241
Raion
Prince

Local Time: 09:25
Local Date: November 2, 2010
-------------

Charles, what's that you got there?
Go away, Pierce!
No, tell me Charles, let me see! (fight with hands over cot where Charles is at with item in hand). Give it too me!
A video game! What video game is it, Charles?
Give it back, Pierce!
BJ) What you two doing, Hawkeye?
Hawkeye) BJ, Charles has a video game.
BJ) He does? What video game is it?
Hawkeye) BJ, its SPACE INVADERS!
BJ) Space Invaders! Better not let anyone down here in the bunker see that.
Hawkeye) Ya, Charles, better not let anyone see that down here. Let me keep it for you!
Charles) Give it back, Pierce!
Hawkeye) Oh, give it back, uh? NO! You know what, Charles, we ought to take it up to the scientists, and see if we can trade it for some biomass brewing equipment.
BJ) Hey, now that's an idea!
Hawkeye) Ya, Charles, let us take us trade for some brewing equipment for that biomass!
Charles) NO! Give it back!
Hawkeye) We'll tell everyone in the bunker, that Charles, has a video game, and ya know what that game is? SPACE INVADERS!
BJ) Ya, that'll go over good, while we're fighting the aliens!
Hawkeye) Ya, Charles, they'll really like that!
Charles) GIVE IT HERE, PIERCE! The batteries probably will be going bad soon anyway.
BJ) Well, you better trade it then to the scientists, they like that kind of thing up there in the lab, Charles!
Charles) NO, maybe they can make me an adaptor to play the game some more!
BJ) Ya, those scientists aren't going to make you an adaptor unless they can play that game up there some time, Charles!
Hawkeye) Ya, Charles!

Commander) Boys, what in tarnation is going on here, you three are making a lot of noise down here in the bunker!
Hawkeye) Charles has a video game. You know what it's called!
Commander) No?
Hawkeye) Space Invaders!
Commander) Space Invaders! I don't think you better let the others know about that Charles.
Charles) Why, they going to want to play it too, like Hawkeye!
Hawkeye) Hey, now Charles, I am just looking at it!
BJ) Then what is all that sound I hear coming from there. Yep, he's playing it!
Commander) Can you three hold it down here. Give it back, Pierce!
Hawkeye) Here, Charles. Ya know, how do you think the rest of us are going to feel about someone playing Space Invaders, down here in the bunker?
BJ) Ya, Charles, How they going to feel when we tell them?
Charles) I don't care. They can find something else to do.
BJ) Do something else?
Hawkeye) The only thing going on down here, is a card game lately. But what do you think they are going to think when we tell them that you have a video game called SPACE INVADERS, when we tell them, uh, Charles?
Charles) All right, I keep it out of sight.
Hawkeye) Oh, he'll keep it out of sight.
BJ) Commander, what do you think of that?
Commander) Give it here, Charles, I take care of it, if it makes you three quit making so much noise.
Charles) It's mine, not theirs!
Hawkeye) I think we ought to take it up to the science boys, and trade it for some biomass brewing equipment.
BJ) What do you think about that, Commander?
Commander) I'll think about it! (leaves)

Attention, attention, 4077 Phoneix Mash Unit. Here is the Commander!
Klinger, what in the blazes you got in your hand?
Sir, that's an alien skin purse!
An alien skin purse. What I tell you about those alien skins, Klinger?
But Sir, I am not wearing it, I just carrying it!
KLINGER!
Yes Sir!

Tonight, we'll be having alien meatballs and macaroni. The boys are still working on the hydroponic equipment.

(Down the hall in the room)
Hawkeye) Ya, there probably saving all the vegetables for themselves.
BJ) Ya, probably!

Commander) Oh, by the way, Charles has a video game down here. Maybe, he will share it with us. You know what it is called -- Space Invaders!

(Down in the hall)
HotLips) SPACE INVADERS! I'll tear their heads off and wear it as a helmet!

Commander) Now, Pierce has bought up an interesting idea. Maybe, we can trade the science boys for some biomass brewing equipment if Charles let's us!

Dinner will be at 19:00 hours again.
Klinger, get rid of that alien skin purse!
Yes, Sir, going now!
Good!
Commander 4077 Phoneix Mash Unit Commander out!

Game is out at EB, picked it up. See how it goes, and downloaded the 1.2 patch.

Now to UFO:Aftermath!
Finally, the game is in my grubby protubrences!

Old October 17, 2003, 15:49   #242
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 20:25
Quote:
Originally posted by sabrewolf
does that "shooting-the-ground"-exploit really work? just with shotguns or does it also work with other weapons. and is the ground enough or does something have to break?
It certainly does - I got a level 19 guy while his friends were level 4. You just shoot the ground continuously, even the same spot over and over again. The really sad thing about this is that if an alien were in the way (so that you shoot a live alien rather than the ground) you get less experience than shooting the ground.
Old October 17, 2003, 18:03   #243
Raion
Prince

The game runs fine. Windows 2k Prof. Geforce 2 type card. 44.03 drivers. Installed 1.2 patch. Runs fine.
Used VA compatibility mode in config program instead of vertex shader item. Probably hardware shader. Runs fine, at refresh 85 Hz.
If one does not see the logo, and only a black screen, then try out other things in the config program. No problems, runs fine.

Gotta go to work though!

Yeap!~
"Nailed the Bas****"
Yeap!

The Commander will be busy now!
Old October 17, 2003, 19:57   #244
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 03:25
Quote:
Originally posted by Raion
vovansim, that is also covered over there in support at one of those links.
Ah, yes, indeed, so it is. Looks like the specific motherboard ram frequency couple with an nVidia chipset produces a bunch of crashes. How nice. I'm too lazy to reboot, open up BIOS, and change over system settings just to try out the demo, though. Or is it worth it?
Spore page
Old October 17, 2003, 22:39   #245
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Lets just say all I can think about at work is getting back home to play more UFO.
Old October 17, 2003, 22:50   #246
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Lets just say all I can think about at work is getting back home to play more UFO.
Convinced. I'd change my settings, but... I feel like an idiot right now... How do I access BIOS on a Toshiba Satellite? As per the instructions I read somewhere a while back, I press ESC as the thing boots, and get the prompt that says something along the lines of "Press [F1] to use default settings", and indeed F1 and the power button are the only ones that produce any effect. The only problem is... When I press F1, instead of entering BIOS, as it should, the thing reboots. Any ideas?
Spore page
Old October 17, 2003, 23:13   #247
Skanky Burns

Posted at another forum:
Quote:
Try pressing DELETE, F1, F2, .... F12 keys and lets see what happens. If at any stage it asks for the password and you don't know and you have to get in at any cost then,

Key Disk for Toshiba laptops
Some Toshiba notebooks allow to bypass BIOS by inserting a "key-disk" in the floppy disk drive while booting. To create a Toshiba Keydisk, take a 720Kb or 1.44Mb floppy disk, format it (if it's not formatted yet), then use a hex editor such as Hex Workshop to change the first five bytes of the second sector (the one after the boot sector) and set them to 4B 45 59 00 00 (note that the first three bytes are the ASCII for "KEY" followed by two zeroes). Once you have created the key disk put it into the notebook's drive and turn it on, then push the reset button and when asked for password, press Enter. You will be asked to Set Password again. Press Y and Enter. You'll enter the BIOS configuration where you can set a new password.
Old October 18, 2003, 00:10   #248
vovan
Emperor

Nope, Escape is the only way to enter the prompt to press [F1]. None of the other buttons do anything (well, pressing c allows you to boot from the CD drive). As for the floppy thing... That must be about an old laptop or something, because mine doesn't have a floppy drive. Only a DVD drive and a SmartMedia slot.

Thanks for trying to help though.
Spore page
Old October 18, 2003, 04:35   #249
Raion
Prince

Well getting use to the game. Blew up my own squaddie though. Have to work on that grenade item.
Just playing it, seeing how it is going.

One thing though, is it makes me feel alone out in Space. I mean except for the squaddies.
Like the music and atmosphere of the game.
Don't like my handling of those grenades yet, though!

Time just floats by with the music though -- to me!
Almost in the dark, my screen is bright enough. Some were saying it was dark. But I like it!
Been just using shotguns to start off with!
Don't have time to sit around though.
Awarding skills is different for the squaddies.
Lots of missions!
Old October 18, 2003, 04:45   #250
Skanky Burns

Throw grenades away from your people. You can see the maximum distance they can throw by moving your cursor around after pressing the attack button (a).
Old October 18, 2003, 15:19   #251
Raion
Prince

Well, still just getting use to the controls. I also see where you can attack the ground, but then that is suppose to be used to help with the invaders.

Old October 18, 2003, 17:36   #252
Raion
Prince

I suppose that someday, the player will also have units that can lean around a corner, and peek (eek) and also run backwards without turning around.

And getting really fluid with the game, and after turning off some of that pause, this 360 degree panorama cinemascope is getting ready to go!

Old October 19, 2003, 02:00   #253
Skanky Burns

If you already know where an alien is, you can shoot him from around a corner. Nifty for killing in safety.
Old October 19, 2003, 14:28   #254
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 11:25
Shotgun Exploit is fixed in Vers 1.2 I think?
Old October 19, 2003, 14:50   #255
Raion
Prince

Haven't seen where I can shoot around the corner.
But I am hooking up my bigger stereo to the sounc card, so what am I doing here.

But then why not?

I can get my squaddies blown up though.
Old October 19, 2003, 17:13   #256
Main_Brain
King

Argghh I got a Second Fungus uhm Biomass Patch
Is it possible to eliminate the Patch by swithcing a Base near it/in it to Anti-Bio or does this only slow it?
Anyone know?
Old October 19, 2003, 19:36   #257
Skanky Burns

I'm still trying to get a mission that is actually in the biomass. I got a "capture the alien base" mission that was in one, but the base flew off. I then got a "this would be a good spot for a new base" mission in the very same spot, did it and then promptly lost the base. Presumably because of the biomass, but I still didn't get a sample of the stuff. Alas.
Old October 20, 2003, 02:08   #258
Skanky Burns

What stats you concentrate on upgrading with your soldiers?

I have recently been upgrading Willpower and Intelligence above others once strength and agility are at good. Perception doesn't seem to do much and I don't use dex as handguns are not as powerful as rifles.

The thing about willpower and intelligence is that they increase your soldiers' most-needed stats - willpower increasing rifle, hitpoints and capacity as well as psi, and intelligence increasing alien and medical in addition to psi. Nifty. The only attribute missing from these two is speed, for which agility is used. So far this build seems to be working, and helps against paralysis and mind control.

I have captured some biomass sample now and am researching it, so I don't know yet, but I would recommend switching the base near it to Anti-bio. Unless you don't mind losing the base in question to the biomass, of course.
Old October 20, 2003, 03:15   #259
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

skanky

upgrading (let's say you don't exploit and fire into the ground for experience) was a quite difficult choice in the beginning.

at first, i went for marksmanship and snipers (when the rifles came up). then i realized that the most powerful stats is "alien" because 1 shot can make a gigantic difference (with super-herioc alien-knowledge two snipershot between the eyes will take him out).
speed is a big issue as soon as locket launchers come up. psi is quite nice in the final fights because it's slightly annoying, when you lose half your team because the alien just captured your mind.

anyway, now that i'm playing the second time round, i like to first get them everywhere at least to "average" or even "good". then you can send them to school, where they can learn being more effective (e.g. sniper-training also allows them to carry more, etc.). after that: specialization
Old October 20, 2003, 03:37   #260
Skanky Burns

Using exploits are excluded, since you can get them to super-heroic in everything within a few missions.

I didn't think the initial choices were that difficult - my standard method was to get the first three stats to average and then good, while in missions mainly using grenades against the mostly-unarmed transgenants. Still, I will have to see if just being "good" in agility will allow me to avoid the worst of the rocket launchers, as they have just come up. Them and microslug accelerators.
Old October 20, 2003, 06:21   #261
Main_Brain
King

Finally Patched up.
Reason:
Had a Base in Biomass just like Skanky.
As the switch takes 24 hours the Base almost immediatly vanishes.
With the Patch the New Base in Biomass starts as Anti-Bio.
Old October 20, 2003, 06:32   #262
Raion
Prince

Haven't got that far yet. Using rifles - Colt M4 right now, and covering most of the US. Got blondie -- Captain Morale:
What now?
More orders?
She aweful in speed though.
Funny when they smile!

I getting my to be good in observation and rifles, well a few are even snipers somewhat. Better to start off to me that way, but I think I carry too much.
Use the cover, and grenades, except they need to rest a little when you run them, so it seems. Otherwise, it's always fun to listen to them talk.
Can't throw it that far!
Old October 20, 2003, 08:02   #263
BeBro
Emperor

Can one of you guys do me a favour?

I just got the German full version (not pirated), but after I installed it, there is no config text file. Maybe it is because I de-installed the demo just before, however, I donīt want to do the entire installation again.

Without this file, I canīt adjust the refresh rate, so I get no display. Can somebody attach a config file here?
Old October 20, 2003, 08:05   #264
BeBro
Emperor

Ahhh - no, I donīt need it, it just created the file when I clicked the other icon - my fault....
Old October 20, 2003, 09:13   #265
Skanky Burns

Unfortunately I can't patch the game at the moment or copy protection rears its ugly head. I will have to wait for a cracked version to be released or the actual game to be released in Australia, whichever comes first.

Apparently the weapons have been balanced a bit more - how are the weapon stats now, particularly the human-produced weapons that were actually worse than existing technology ones before.
Old October 20, 2003, 12:28   #266
Main_Brain
King

I dont have the old Values. (never used those guns)

1.2:
laser Pistol:
Burst Aimed
24 30 Range
9 13 Effektiv Rg
40 40 Dmg
3,3 1,7 Rounds

laser Rifle:

Burst Aimed
31 45 Range
15 30 Effektiv Rg
200 40 Dmg
3,6 0,5 Rounds

Plasma Shotgun:

Burst Aimed
10 10 Range
5 5 Effektiv Rg
820 820 Dmg
0,2 0,2 Rounds

Plasma Rifle
Burst Aimed
35 Range
20 Effektiv Rg
500 Dmg
0,3 Rounds

Rocket Launcher

Burst Aimed
31 50 Range
10 25 Effektiv Rg
700 700 Dmg
0,7 0,3 Rounds

Conclusion:
Adv. Alien Lasers stay better.
Didnt get to Warp in my new Game yet
Old October 20, 2003, 12:53   #267
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Unfortunately I can't patch the game at the moment or copy protection rears its ugly head. I will have to wait for a cracked version to be released or the actual game to be released in Australia, whichever comes first.

Apparently the weapons have been balanced a bit more - how are the weapon stats now, particularly the human-produced weapons that were actually worse than existing technology ones before.
There's a crack for both 1.1 and 1.2 actually.

Do It Ourselves
Old October 20, 2003, 13:07   #268
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 10:25
It usually doesn't take long.
Old October 20, 2003, 20:11   #269
BeBro
Emperor

How do I capture Aliens? The manual says I should pick them from the ground when they are still alive -- but then I cannot move a soldier on their position.

I can only go there when they are dead, then I can transport them. But when they are still alive my guys say "canīt get there"...
Old October 20, 2003, 20:29   #270
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Use the 'move' command - it's one of the large action buttons, the middle one, if I remember correctly.

Also, you only need to do that when your objective is to capture a live specimen, otherwise anything left alive will be taken back.

Do It Ourselves