Old October 12, 2003, 07:33   #31
deity
DiploGamesCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 21:26
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Cities/Units in 1100BC
Poor old Raz

The AI and a newbie had a struggle in the Northern African wastes...
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	cities_hotw4_1100bc.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	54872  
Old October 12, 2003, 07:42   #32
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 19:26
wtf.......

hmmmmm lucky i cant play then , that sux
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old October 12, 2003, 08:27   #33
deity
Emperor

This should cheer you up a bit Raz!
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	top5_1100bc.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	54875  
Old October 12, 2003, 08:39   #34
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

not at all Deity, only 2 citys !!!!!!!!!! doesnt anyone know how to build settlers any more !!!!!!!

FFS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old October 12, 2003, 09:02   #35
Ljube
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 10:26
Quote:
Originally posted by Rasputin
wtf.......

hmmmmm lucky i cant play then , that sux
Snap out of it and make a comeback worthy of GREAT RAZ!!!

I'll assist you in any way I can
Old October 12, 2003, 09:11   #36
Ljube
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Re: Cities/Units in 1100BC
Quote:
Originally posted by deity
Poor old Raz

The AI and a newbie had a struggle in the Northern African wastes...
Come to think of it, it may have been a better choice to have someone sub as Serbs (arguably the best start) rather than having someone sub as Egyptians (arguable the second worst start).
Old October 12, 2003, 10:03   #37
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

i bet the fool built bloody military units too LOL... wonders why people forget how to explore with settlers /!!!!!!

any way.....

folkswhere are the stories, if you expect me to get any enjoyment from this at all i expect to rich lush stories...

give them to me
Old October 12, 2003, 10:35   #38
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 11:26
.sav please...
Old October 12, 2003, 17:07   #39
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

Local Time: 05:26
The English mapmaker, Ebraucus, has compiled the first known survey of the world. Assimilating the knowledge collected by our Serb friends, Ebraucus has combined it all into this world map.

Little is known however of the mysterious land rumored to be occupied by a savage race of "Aboridgineies". These sinister barbarians' daft use of spelling has set upon the great kingdoms of the world like a plague. The Great Raz of Egypt suffering the most extreme forms of this spelling atrophy, brought on no doubt by these cursed Aboridgineies. Only the mystical "spielchek" a relic from the ancient past can bring order back to the world. The great King Beowulf has dispatched an envoy to the Egyptian Pharaoh in hopes the spielchek relic may be found and put to use in confronting the evil malady now stricking the hapless Egyptian kingdom.

King Beowulf hopes some enterprizing civilization will put a stop to the misspelling madness begun in that mysterious southern continent by destroying the evil Aboridgineies. Mayhaps then Ebraucus will expand the scope of his acclaimed world map.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	1100bc.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	54896  

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Last edited by OzzyKP; October 12, 2003 at 17:16.
Old October 12, 2003, 18:42   #40
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

The Funeral
The sad troops rose, went in tears below London to view the wonder. Lifeless on the sand, held in his rest-bed, was the man who had given them unity. That was the last day of the King of the Brits; he died a wondrous death.

Beside him lay cups and pitchers, dishes and swords eaten through with rust as if the earth had embraced them a thousand winters. That was a hoard of great power, that gold ancient men had mined and cast, but now lain exposed. Their treasure great, but now faded. Like the man next to which they lay. It was plain that nothing had gone well for him who had, rightly, amassed these works of art under that roof of sky.

It's a mystery where a good man goes when he reaches his end, when he can no longer live in the houses of men. So it was with Beowulf after he'd seen his people through many years. He himself couldn't know how he would leave the world. The tribesmen who came before and were united under the might and charm of Beowulf looked on from their ethereal mead-hall. Welcoming their kin and savior into their midst, the old ruler who bound a nation together and set off from their constrictive British shores. The old ruler who led his people to the lush land of Europa. The old ruler who had seen too many sunsets.

Arthur spoke, Wiglaf's son:
"Often must a warrior suffer for another's mistake, as has happened here. Nor could we convince our beloved King that he should not strain against the evils of the world as he did. He grasped his high fate-- the hoard is open, grimly bought. That fate was too cruel to which our king was impelled. I stood along side the Great Uniter through many nights. I hastily grasped many things, carried out many orders of my failing lord. He was alive still, but weak in mind; that aged man sorrowfully said many things: He wanted you to build on the site of his pyre a high mound, great and glorious, since he was among warriors the most magnificent, famous throughout the world. We should now hasten to see the curious gems, the wonders under the earth. I will show you the way. Make the pyre ready so that we may bring our lord to the place he will abide in the keeping of the All-Powerful."

Arthur ordered the brave warriors to carry wood from far and wide to the funeral pyre for the great leader of the people.

"Now shall fire eat, the flourishing dark flames, the ruler of warriors, he who often braved the rain of iron, the storming of arrows hard from bows, the sturdy shaft swift on feathered wings."

Arthur called seven warriors, the very best, and made the eighth himself, to recount the great deeds of their great lord. With a dutiful respect they recounted those wondrous deeds of Beowulf. The uniting of the clans, the mastery of the cold ocean surface, the hard fought battles to subjugate the lesser peoples of the north and south. A great many warriors fell in their conquest, but the greatest of them all never faltered. Extending the reach of the mead-hall to far away settlements of Vienna, Oslo, Stockholm and South Paris, the English might was high.

The warrior's tales continued for the passage of many sands. Honor bound not to speak of the great many failures their honored king met. Hemmed in by a great power, it was all the clans could do to stand their ground. Threats were many, from the great Serbian behemoth. Grendel, Captain of their West Army, was a fierce presence at the negotiating table. Threatening the very existence of the young English nation. His boorish manner struck such fear in the English explorers they spread claims Grendel ate men alive.

Faced with extinction, his great project put in jeopardy King Beowulf faced Captain Grendel himself. Steely was his resolve as they negotiated borders, calm with the knowledge that Wiglaf's raiders had completed their Austrian conquest and set up settlement in the Vienna plains. This great victory seemed at times all the English had to thwart the greedy claims of Captain Grendel. The days passed and the battle of wits pressed on. Finally the great resolve of the lord Beowulf proved victorious. A deal was reached that met agreement with both Serb and English leaders.

With the defeat of Serb Captain Grendel Beowulf found friendlier representatives to deal with from that awesome eastern power. Stories were shared of the great exploits and conquests of the Serbian superpower. Beowulf was both impressed and shamed. His Serb neighbors proved friendly and eager dealmakers, but the exchange of maps showed the terrible weakness the English faced. Serbs were as numerous as grains of sand, their brave warriors reaching far beyond their borders in search of loot and adventure.

The seven warriors spoke not of the English inadequacies. This was not a time for such words. This was a time to celebrate and honor the long life of their leader.

There they laid the famous king and lamented that beloved lord. Warriors then built the greatest of fires. Wood-smoke ascended, dark black over the flames. That roar wrapped around sorrowful weeping. The wind stood still.

The English built a mound then, in ten days, high and broad on the hill, a beacon for the warrior widely seen by sailors. They surrounded the ashes by a wall, as splendid as the cleverest men could make. Inside the wall was mounted the mythical sword of Beowulf, only the true heir may remove the sword from its stone mount and claim the throne. In the mound they placed rings and bracelets and all such things as they'd found in the hoard. They left that treasure in the hands of the earth, as it lies still, as useless to men as it had been before.

Then twelve warriors rode round the grave speaking their sorrow, reciting praises for their lord's courageous deeds.

Thus the English mourned their great lord, saying he was, among this world's kings, the mildest, the gentlest, the kindest to his people, and the most eager for eternal fame.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Last edited by OzzyKP; October 12, 2003 at 18:52.
Old October 12, 2003, 18:54   #41
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

The save from the first session.
Attached Files:
File Type: net 1100bc.net (168.4 KB, 4 views)

Old October 12, 2003, 20:04   #42
Frank Johnson
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 03:26
For thousands of years men had lived around the great river which had many names. Generations passed and yet nothing ever changed. Men had no concept of time and never expected the world to change. They watched their children grow, but never understood life could be better. Peaceful men and women settled themselves together on the river, which was both the bounty by which they lived and the great sorrow which they continuously endured when floods consumed all that had been accomplished.

One such flood had consumed many of the settlements along the river when news arrived from the south and those who lived near the sea. They said a man of great courage and power led the people to build great mounds of earth against the mighty river. The feats which he accomplished brought him great fame and popularity and more people flocked to him.

They say that man invented the idea of progress. The idea of leaving behind more than you came with for your sons and their sons. He was the first leader of the Chinese people, Jian Fu Lin. On the sea buildings rose in his honor, and dams rose against the river on his command. The people were finally safe, and now they were truely free.

Once the people learned what they were capable of united, they set out into the wilderness. The great rivers of the Middle Kingdom were tamed, vast expanses of desert were made to bloom, and even the seas could not stop the people once they had the will to set forth...........

"That, my son is the story of the creation of the Middle Kingdom, and why you must go to this ceremony today."

"But father, I cannot do those things like you. The world is too big, there are too many people. There are too many in the beyond who wish us ill."

"No, my son. Remember even after I am gone you will not be alone. Together you can accomplish anything. The people love you, and with that love you can do anything."

"I understand father. Nothing will stop us."

"Just as in the past our anicestors controled this river, you will bring order to all which defies the tenants of peace, balance, and tranquility."

As the royal barge docked, the child grabbed a shovel and exited. He set off up a steep slope, his chin rising as he heard the growing cheers of the amassed crowd............
Old October 13, 2003, 02:40   #43
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

The people of the Desert were in total dissarray. For the past 3000 yrs a string of useless leaders had taken thme wondering through the desert with no apparrent plan or any positive outcomes. Generations of people had died and new familys had arrisen to lead the people.

With no knolwedge of writing there is little history to pass on. But once the people learnt of writing the first Scribes were given th ejob of instructing all the people of the ways of The Great Raz
Old October 13, 2003, 15:01   #44
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

The old master scribe settled onto his reed mat and looked at the boy sitting in front of him. 'Why have you come here?' he asked. 'I have come to learn how to be a scribe like my father was,' the boy said.

The old man smiled, 'If you want to be a scribe, you must first learn about the scripts used to record the language of the Egyptian people. Then, you will learn to read and write these scripts.' He paused, then closed his eyes. A minute passed. Then he began to speak in a low voice. 'I will start at the beginning.'

'A long, long time ago, Thoth, the great god of writing and knowledge brought the gift of Medu Netjer ('God's words') to the land. For hundreds of years this sacred script has been used to record the words and deeds of the pharaohs and the gods and goddesses.'

'If the script was sacred, what did scribes use for writing letters?' the boy asked.

The old master scribe continued .'Some years later, another script was developed so that everyday information could be written down quickly and easily. It was used by scribes working in the temples and palaces who need to keep records and write letters.' He paused.

'The signs for the new script were based on those of the sacred script. However, they were drawn with fewer lines and decoration. That made it easier and faster to write the signs.'

The old master scribe picked up a reed pen and carefully drew the hieroglyphic sign on a piece of limestone. Next to it, with a quick sweep of his hand, he drew the same sign in hieratic .
He showed it to the boy. 'Do you see the difference?' he asked. The boy studied the signs and nodded his head.

'Today, in the reign of Wehemibra (Nekau II), we do not use the hieratic script that much anymore. Our common script is sekh shat, ('writing for documents'). The signs are based on hieratic signs, but they are even simpler. This makes them faster and easier to write.'

The old master scribe paused and wiped his brow. 'As a scribe you are given the power and knowledge of writing. First, you must learn the common script of the land so you can perform everyday tasks. After that, if you are lucky and talented, you will also learn the sacred script. Those who learn the sacred script will learn the secrets of the gods and the mysteries of the land.'

The old master scribe reached behind him and brought out a small wooden palette. He held it out to the boy. 'This is for you. Once you have learned to read and write, you will have many opportunities in the world. Practise your signs well and you will go far.' Then, he stood up.

The boy said goodbye to the old master scribe and left his home. For many years he studied to be a scribe, practising his signs for hours every day. It was difficult work, and sometimes he hated school. But he worked hard.

Finally, he was ready to leave scribe school. He had done well and was offered a position as a priest in a temple.

Long after the old master scribe had died, the young man still thought about their meeting. He never forgot what the old man had taught him about the importance of learning the scripts, and the honour of being a scribe.
Old October 13, 2003, 15:16   #45
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

The First official painting of The Great raz
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	untitled.gif
Views:	93
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	54948  
Old October 13, 2003, 20:57   #46
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:26
Quote:
Little is known however of the mysterious land rumored to be occupied by a savage race of "Aboridgineies". These sinister barbarians' daft use of spelling has set upon the great kingdoms of the world like a plague.
Not so fast, the Indian people under the guidance of Berzerker the Explorer has already established a foothold in Australia and New Zealand and the Aborigine stronghold is about to fall to Indian archers and horsemen. Our mapmakers have charted half the land of these Barbarians and see them as a mere nuisance. But captives taken from this race have informed us of lands to the distant east and our explorers are readying themselves to set out for these lands of gold and fire...

Having established contact, peace, and in one case, an allegiance with the Tartars, Serbs, Egyptians, and Chinese and borders along the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers, the Hindu Kush, and the swamplands of Burma, the Indian people are secure in their new homeland and look forward to trading with the peoples of the known world (but not those barbarians who unsuccessfully attacked us in "the land down under".

The ocean off our southern coast has been given the title of "Indian Ocean" after our people and the late summer storms we see each year that give life to our semi-arid lands - known to some as "monsoons" - have been given the nickname "the Berzerkers" after legendary warriors from the Aryan race whose decendents founded our homeland.

Hey you guys, I was stuck hotjoining when y'all decided to quit so I couldn't manage my civ in between turns and lost connection on my turn before I could move all my units. So when we resume, don't advance to me so I have a chance to change production.
Old October 15, 2003, 05:15   #47
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

and with a wave of hand the Great Raz did change things for ever......

More tribes of nomads suddenly appeared in the hot sandy desert.....
Old October 15, 2003, 19:27   #48
deity
Emperor

Here's the 1100BC pg for you Raz.

You might want to edit it a bit and add a pic to it.
Old October 15, 2003, 19:31   #49
deity
Emperor

Here!
1100BC pg...
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	hotw4_pg_1100bc.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	55103  
Old October 15, 2003, 20:58   #50
winzity
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
Prince

Local Time: 09:26
As I already told deity
I can't play this weekend, but I will play all the following weekends. So please note the player that will play trators now is only a one session sub. I am the regular player! Please keep that in mind, and don't break treaties and such stuff...

See you all next week!
I am sorry for that I can't play this week.
Old October 18, 2003, 18:43   #51
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

The embers from the funeral pyre have cooled, and the burial mound has been built high with fresh dirt. Two commoners from the London countryside come to pay their respects to their late king:

"Hurry up now, we ain't got all day"
"Well if ya didn't insist on bringing all these damn flowers it wouldn't take so long."
"Well he twas our king, tis only fitting to honor him proper."
"Tweren't my king."
"Pssh, why twasn't he?"
"Ya know, I heard he tweren't even English?"
"Says who?"
"Aoefin told me he was Scandinavian, a bloody Viking."
"Aoefin wouldn't know his arse from a pile of Scottish dung."
"I don't see why ye honor King Beowulf, he has lead us to the sewer. The nations of the world laugh at the puny, backwards English, and by right they doth."
"Twere it not for King Beowulf we'd be even worse off. If Captain Grendel had his way we'd be even worse off than the pathetic Egyptians. You should bless the King for his diplomatic victory over the hostile Grendel."
"Tis a fable my dear. A mere fantasy to boost the old King's ego. Aoefin tells me Captain Grendel was a ***** cat, and the one who truly held all the cards that caused 'the great King Beowulf' all the trouble was in truth Grendel's mother! Our great and noble King Beowulf's greatest fight of his life was against an old bag of a woman."
"Lies you say, you and that fraud, Aoefin should be flogged for the disrespect you pay. I'll not hear another word from you."
"Just lay the flowers so we can go, woman. The sooner we leave this dreary place the better."
"We live in England, all places are dreary."
"Just move woman."
"That’s it, you're sleeping with the pigs tonight."
Old October 18, 2003, 18:53   #52
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

The next morning.

"So how'd you like sleeping in the barn?"
"The hayloft was fairly comfortable. A ***** cat came and curled up next to me."
"A what cat?"
"A ***** cat."
"I can't understand you, you are muffled."
"Can you hear me now?"
"Yea."
"Good."
"But its just when you say that blank cat."
"Oh you mean ***** cat?"
"Yea, thats it. Why do you keep muffling that word?"
"I'm not, I'm just saying it normal."
"Egads, the gods have placed a curse upon ye!"
"A curse?"
"Yes, for the disrespect you paid King Beowulf, his spirit has come back from the grave and cursed you. I told you to respect our king."
"Oh ****, I'm ****ed. **** you Beowulf you shithead!"
"It is worse! You are cursed!"
"****!"

Old October 18, 2003, 18:54   #53
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

OCC-

I can say shithead but not ***** cat?

Thats pretty stupid.

Old October 18, 2003, 19:16   #54
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

Later that week at the market.

"Aoefin, so you're the one feeding my husband all these ideas about our late king."
"All true ma lady."
"Because he repeated your foul lies my poor husband has been cursed from beyond the grave. He can't talk at all now."
"Impossible."
"Show him dear."
"**** ** ***** * ****** ******."
"My thats pretty bad. I tell you what, cause I like your husband, and since he seems to be in a rather dire situation I'll let you in on a few secrets."
"No more secrets, you've caused enough trouble."
"Wait ma lady, this is pretty good. Its about the Egyptian King."
"Hmm, go on..."
"I'm not sure if you've seen a picture of him, but that hat he wears is rumored to compensate for...other areas."
"No!"
"Yes that is the word. Apparently he has 24 concubines and is unable to...perform adaquately with any of them."
"No wonder he wears such a big hat. That also explains all the obelisks in Thebes. That poor man. I guess he doesn't measure up to the other world kings in more ways than one."

Old October 18, 2003, 19:20   #55
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

OCC-
Sorry Raz, I just had to respond to that picture. hehehe.

Old October 18, 2003, 20:57   #56
Ljube
Emperor

The early Serb history
In the beginning, there were three Serb tribes in the mountains north of Danube. The land was barren and the climate harsh; unfitting for permanent settlement there. So the tribes decided to move. Being to numerous to settle all in the same spot and also having different leaders and agendas, these three tribes went in different directions in search for good, fertile land on which they could settle.
One of the tribes went east and they were since known as the Eastern Serbs or the Russians. This was a tribe of skilled mounted warriors and they were able to cover large distances fast. Soon they found themselves in a land of plains already settled by another tribe. This local people called themselves Varyags and offered the Russians to settle in the same valley. The Russians accepted the Varyag offer to stay there and to live together in a multicultural community which soon became homogeneous and unique in Serb world because of the mixture of Russian and Varyag culture.
Another tribe went west and they became known as the Western Serbs or the Poles. They were sometimes referred to as Czechs in writings of later time. This tribe decided to settle on the coast of the Northern See, near the lush forest full of game, which only added to their prosperity. Living in the land of plenty, freed from all problems of human existence, they soon entered an era of science and advance unprecedented in the Serb world. They discovered alphabet and they wrote their texts on the bark of a special type of tree called “Bukva” in Serbian (also called beech in English) and this discovery aided in spreading the knowledge among all Serb tribes.
The third tribe went south and settled in the fertile valley along the river Danube and near the Black See. They were known as South Serbs or simply Serbs, for they stood the test of time and eventually united the scattered Serbs in one mighty nation.

But this unification did not come without a struggle. The local lords were powerful and didn’t want to waive their ranks and local titles. They resisted any attempt at forming a centralised government. The three Serb tribes were often involved in wars among themselves. The perfidious Serb neighbours, the English understood the Serb internal struggle all to well and seized the opportunity to grab as much of Serb land as possible. Faced with possible extinction of Serbs at the hands of the merciless English, Captain Grendel, leader of Poles decided to strike a deal (the treaty of Belgrade) with Great Chieftain Vukan, leader of Serbs and recognise him as the supreme leader of all Serbs. This was only the beginning of the struggle since worse was still to come because the Russians refused to accept the terms of the Belgrade treaty and were in the state of war with the united Serbs for more than 100 years. It was not until the Supreme Chieftain Stefan Nemanja, the founder of Nemanjic dynasty that Serbia stood united for the first time in history.
In his negotiations with the fearsome English, Captain Grendel, conscious of Serb utter weakness, employed a combination of bullying and stick and carrot tactics in a feeble attempt to conceal the terrible truth – Serbs were unprepared for war and could have been destroyed by the English if only they had chosen to do so. Luckily for the Serbs, the English leader Beowulf proved pacifistic and hadn’t used the weapon of horror that had been at his disposal – the Elephant hordes. Unknown to peace loving, openhearted Serbs, this weapon of mass destruction targeted the Serb capital throughout the negotiations. Serbs have never seen the large animals and would have surely run in fear at the very sight of them, had the English deployed them on the battlefield, but king Beowulf was pleased with the deal the Serbs had offered since they had effectively surrendered entire Europe to the infidel, barbarian, filthy, stinking English dogs.

Relish in our land – said captain Grendel to king Beowulf and went east never to return again, for he had been branded traitor of the Serb cause by Great Chieftain Vukan for his failure to secure a better deal with the English and executed a week after that.

Serbia was still not ready to face the English, so wise Vukan attempted to appease the mighty but ruthless neighbours with continuous gifts. Since the English were a backward nation, savages really the gifts they needed the most to enhance their society were the social sciences. The Serbs helped the English compile their first code of laws and instructed the English in the benefits of central government and taxation showing them how to coin their currency. This has elevated the English above the barbarian state they were in before and reduced the danger they posed to the evolving Serb nation.

And 100 years after the death of the Great Chieftain Vukan, Stefan Nemanja came to power and united all Serb tribes in a bloody campaign that lasted 20 years. During the absence of Nemanja from Belgrade, his eldest son and successor Vukan performed the duty of Regent of Serbia. He had previously been appointed Duke of Zeta, the area south of Belgrade with Budva as its seat, so he had had some experience in government. Nemanja was absent for a very long time and Vukan started to call himself the Supreme Chieftain of Serbs planning to overthrow his father. His younger brother Stefan opposed this move and was soon forced to flee because Vukan planned his assassination. The youngest brother Rastko was committed to a new philosophy that was brought to Serbia by a man called Peter and was called Christianity after the name of a dead Jewish carpenter the followers of this teaching worshiped. He was no threat to Vukan and soon he went to the Monastery in the city of Ras and became a monk. He was known under the name Sava ever since.

But Vukan was still unable to oppose the victorious troops of his father, so he pledged allegiance to Nemanja and returned to Zeta where he continued to rule. At that time, Christianity became the official religion of the Serbs and all members of ruling family were baptised and professed the faith in one and only God. Idol worshippers were prosecuted and the statues of Bogun (the former supreme God of Serbs) and Vesna (the Goddess of spring and agriculture) were destroyed and temples turned to churches.

At the age of 60 Stefan Nemanja decided to abdicate, but he did so in favour of his second son Stefan. Nemanja went to the Ras Monastery, where he joined his youngest son and became a monk changing his name to Simeon. Vukan accepted the deal at first because of the support the Egyptian pharaoh Art of War was offering to Stefan. But after the death of Simeon and the fall of pharaoh Art of War engineered by the evil Azandes, Vukan raised an army and headed for Belgrade to take what he felt was rightfully his. The big civil war was avoided because of the intervention of Sava, who managed to make peace between the older brothers. It was only a year before that, that the bishop of Rome (also called the Pope) elevated the church of Ras to the lever of archdiocese and Sava was elected first Serbian archbishop, so he used his God given position to seal a concord that would last for another 100 years. Vukan would remain hereditary Grand Duke of Zeta and Stefan would be crowned King of all Serbs. Stefan was since known under the name Stefan the First Crowned.

This could have been the time of great prosperity for the Serbs had the insidious Pope jealous of Serb successes not elevated the diocese of Bar to the level of archdiocese at the same time. The Duke of Duklja (the area around Bar) felt he had the same right as Stefan and, finding an accomplice in Archbishop Peter, arranged to be crowned in Bar the next year as King of Duklja.
The developments in Duklja were largely ignored by the central government of Serbs since according to the feudal code introduced in Serbia during the reign of Stefan the First Crowned, all vassals regardless their titles were obliged to swear their loyalty to the King of Serbs. So did the King of Duklja, Balsa I Stratimirovic Balsic swear his allegiance to King of Serbia Stefan.

Near the end of Stefan’s rule Serbia stood as the world’s foremost power, but the lack of space for further expansion set the stage for the sad events that were about to come.

Last edited by Ljube; October 24, 2003 at 19:26.
Old October 19, 2003, 00:36   #57
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Proposed border.
:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	border.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	55321  
Old October 19, 2003, 14:00   #58
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

King Arthur has ordered Ebraucus to once again create a world map for all the civilized peoples of the earth. The land down under has been finally charted and is now included.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	640bcmap.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	55365  

Old October 19, 2003, 18:07   #59
atawa
King

Why doesnt this map show all city's and teritory's?

EDIT:

Last edited by atawa; October 20, 2003 at 17:52.
Old October 19, 2003, 21:39   #60
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

I make the maps with an intention to pretty up the information we already know rather than to try and expose new information. I know that colonization of new worlds is something players often wish to keep underwraps, at least initially. This is why I didn't include Australlia on the map from last week. After seeing Berz had traded maps around and didn't mind the info getting out, I included it this week.

I think standard ethics of playing apply to diplogames as far as no map peaking between sessions. I feel I push the envelope when I make these maps, but I do so with the utmost discretion. Before revealing the full map I expand the corner map full screen so I do not see actual cities, unit positions, and other information on the regular screen.

Even so I am wary of how much information people want to get out and I would be perfectly fine with waiting on maps until a few sessions into the game and then doing a retrogressive collection to better preserve geographical secrets. But everyone seems to enjoy them, and wanted me to start doing them at the beginning so I obliged.

Those are my thoughts regarding the maps.