Old December 9, 2003, 16:10   #271
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 10:29
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Good idea with the colonies Ghengis. What a pity that I have shut down my settler factories. I'm sure I could have beaten your price.

530AD to ADG

These War Elephants are nasty.
Old December 9, 2003, 18:12   #272
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 03:29
Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
These War Elephants are nasty.
I was lucky the first couple of attacks, and after that I had a back up Spearman so now I think they've learned to avoid Settler factory #1. Still there were quite a few Elephants here, I've had 8 or so impale themselves on Pretoria and there are at least three running around half naked on its culture borders lately.

Believe me, an Elephant in a thong isn't a pretty sight...............
Old December 9, 2003, 18:58   #273
Harovan
staff

Believe me, I learned how they look like. My first landing attempt about ten turns ago was quickly pushed pack by redlining by guarding pikeman the very first turn. Only now, after I brought a caravel full of reinforcements, I could risk it again. They're beautiful though. Alas, they won't last long.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	668a.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	59232  
Old December 9, 2003, 19:36   #274
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

The War Elephants are much bigger than the little elephant by the wheat. Maybe its just a baby?
Old December 10, 2003, 17:15   #275
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Somehow they do look rather meaner in white compared to the usual purple.

To GhengisFarb

BTW, if anyone was planning on building Leonardo's Workshop - you're too late.

Last edited by CerberusIV; December 10, 2003 at 17:22.
Old December 12, 2003, 16:15   #276
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 02:29
Um, where's the save?
Old December 12, 2003, 18:45   #277
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by BigFree
Um, where's the save?
I've played it, I just can't attach it to an email because this @#$@ post had it internet server throttled so low that the action times out before it can finish.

I keep trying so hopefully the traffic will slow down enough for me to get it attached and sent.
Old December 12, 2003, 20:37   #278
Harovan
staff

Ummm, I heard of these bandwidth problems. It usually happens, when a part of the traffic is transmitted not through copper wires or fiber glass, but by drums and smoke signals. Where is your swamp again, Ghengis, and how far is it from the civilization?
Old December 12, 2003, 21:55   #279
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Considering the speed currently I believe they have switched to Sea Turtles.

And they are still waiting for the tide to come in.............
Old December 13, 2003, 00:36   #280
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Can't you use your email program to send it to me as before?
Old December 13, 2003, 09:33   #281
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Can't you use your email program to send it to me as before?
No as stated:
Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
I've played it, I just can't attach it to an email because this @#$@ post has its internet server throttled so low that the action times out before it can finish.
Anyway traffic is down and I can attach/upload it to my emails again. Interestingly enough I have to upload by Scenario files for the Scenario I'm working on early in the morning, before 4:30 am or they time out too.

Sent to BigFree.
Old December 13, 2003, 11:28   #282
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 11:29
In case of more problems like this, just attach the save here...
Old December 13, 2003, 14:38   #283
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
In case of more problems like this, just attach the save here...
It won't allow me to attach/upload to Apoly either. Its the throttle that the restriction not any particular software or website. No matter what or how I try to upload/attach things the throttle restricts the rate at which it uploads to such a low speed that Yahoo, MSN, and Apoly all time out.

I am hoping its just a tempory thing and everything will be back to normal in a few days. Until then I am going to have to get up in the middle of the night to attach the saves.
Old December 13, 2003, 16:03   #284
BigFree
Deity

You do seem to have some weird problems there. For one thing, unless you are using Apolyton's mail server, the traffic at this site does not effect you abilty to use an email program such as outlook or even web based email such as msn or hotmail. Anyways, 540 AD sent to ormuzd.
Old December 13, 2003, 16:21   #285
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
You do seem to have some weird problems there. For one thing, unless you are using Apolyton's mail server, the traffic at this site does not effect you abilty to use an email program such as outlook or even web based email such as msn or hotmail. Anyways, 540 AD sent to ormuzd.
I know, its very irritating. When I was stationed in Korea the post had a major reduction in speed when the commander had 40% of all post bandwidth allotted to him and his immediate staff for exclusive use.

This just started around Wednesday so I am not sure if the commander here has ordered something similiar or if bandwidth has been cut down because of some upgrade in the works.

Anyway, I am obviously going to have to readjust my sleep schedule to send off my saves if this doesn't get corrected. Downloads haven't become noticibly slower just uploads/attachments. But I've never been able to upload large files here.
Old December 14, 2003, 04:38   #286
ormuzd
Civilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameIron CiversApolyton UniversityC4DG The HordeC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

540 ad sent

Ghengis, can't you schedule these tasks? I don't know aout you but I hate breaking my sleep
Old December 14, 2003, 06:30   #287
Harovan
staff

I know well the situation Ghengis is talking about. Military commanders/staffs can be really stupid. What concerns the sleep schedule... I wasn't aware he sleeps at all. Come on, Ghengis, I'm feeling insecure while you sleep!

Oh, and 540AD to ADG. Rest in peace, 31st Pike Regiment. Damn War Elephants.
Old December 14, 2003, 10:21   #288
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

I could give you an account on my ftp, where you can upload it, and then the save could either be avaliable on a certain adress, or the same account could be given to you, and the player you're sending to, so he can download from there (Who's the next player?)

Btw, turn sent...
Old December 14, 2003, 13:37   #289
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

to Ghengis
Old December 15, 2003, 08:11   #290
ormuzd
Civilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameIron CiversApolyton UniversityC4DG The HordeC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

bigfree is after ghengis (actually ghengis closes the turn and eli has started the game)
Old December 16, 2003, 11:29   #291
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

I have the save but can't send it or attach it to anything. Our post's server is having issues and the Sprint people who service it aren't exactly sure how it works or how to fix it. But they ARE working on it and have brought in help so it will hopefully be fixed soon.

Currently I can just barely post on forums. Can't attach anything and can't access my emails.

Thanks for the offer of an FTP account but that isn't the issue the issue is transfer rate. Basically, its like trying to fit a 24" diameter object through a 2" diameter hose.
Old December 16, 2003, 11:37   #292
Harovan
staff

Or in the language of an artillerist, to fire a 155mm shell with a .38 gun.
Old December 16, 2003, 15:25   #293
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
Or in the language of an artillerist, to fire a 155mm shell with a .38 gun.
Exactly, but outside of MarkG and Arnelos I didn't think many people would relate.

Their answer yesterday was "We know the internet isn't working but we're fixing it and it will be fixed in a few moments." Which translates into normal speech means, "We know our services aren't working as 100 people have already *****ed about it, we don't have a clue what to do but want everyone to leave us alone to wallow in our own ignorance."

Their answer today was "We know the internet isn't working, we don't why it isn't working but we have people working on it." Which translates into normal speech means, "We acknowledge our own stupidity, we have no clue what we are doing or how to remedy the situation. We have our highest paid employees and staff kicking and throwing things at the digital thingie me bob with the flashing lights in hopes it will suddenly start working for no reason whatsoever."
Old December 17, 2003, 05:51   #294
BigFree
Deity

GL GF, MTFBWY!
Old December 17, 2003, 11:44   #295
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Anyway, its given me freetime to work on that Amazon Worker unit.
Old December 18, 2003, 02:55   #296
BigFree
Deity

Maybe you can snail mail it...you have a floppy?
Old December 18, 2003, 11:31   #297
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Maybe you can snail mail it...you have a floppy?
The save or the Amazon? I posted a thread to look for replacements.
Old December 18, 2003, 20:29   #298
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Sent to BigFree.
Old December 19, 2003, 05:37   #299
BigFree
Deity

Nobody could replace you GF!

550 AD to ormuzd.
Old December 19, 2003, 12:53   #300
ormuzd
Emperor

hope the problems with the connection are solved

or just the opposite - the people are thinking about the coming holidays, who cares for the stupid connection?

550 ad sent to sir ralph