Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 29, 2003, 10:33   #1
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 04:30
Local Date: November 2, 2010
October Elections: Foreign Minister
Who will it be... the candidate who has changed his name for mysterious reasons , or the candidate with the missing vowel?

Ben Kenobi or ljcvetko ... ljcvetko or Ben Kenobi.

3 days to vote.

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old September 29, 2003, 15:51   #2
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

/me steps up to the podium.

Fellow citizens:

I am honoured to have served you for the past few months as your science advisor, instructing and directing our hordes of researchers.

Today I ask that I be allowed to take upon another task to which I feel qualified, as the foreign minister.

As a Jedi, we are known for a variety of mind-control tricks that enable us to deceive and influence our enemies from afar. With these abilities, I ought to be able to establish favourable intelligence on every civilisation.

Secondly, I promise to personally inspect each of our embassies to improve our defenses against enemy spies who seek our glorious Imperium technology. We must not allow such dangerous knowledge to fall in the hands of barbarians.

Finally, I shall direct our spies to investigate the garrisons, particularly of the Americans so that our military troops may be more effective and efficent in dismantling their resistance.

May our globe-straddling empire of the Imperium continue to prosper and dominate. I yield the floor to my erstwhile opposition.

/me steps down from the podium
Old September 30, 2003, 00:24   #3
King

Good platform. We have the cash now to wreak havoc on non-Democratic AI's...

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old September 30, 2003, 03:03   #4
Ljube
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 10:30
Force is strong with my opponent.
I feel it flowing.

However, being known for his honour, Obiwan won’t use the force to influence the minds of the voters, I’m certain of it.

Now back to the topic.

We might have missed on the opportunity to switch to democracy earlier (we had small cities, no real unhappiness issues). If we had done it, we would have been in a better position to actually research something (like explosives and tactics) and overrun the world sooner.

The only issue in fundamentalism is to maximise the production of troops and diplomats/spies, and when you have too many troops, you can’t switch to another government any more, so we are more or less stuck in fundamentalism for the rest of the game.

This reduces the work of the foreign minister significantly, but still, there are a few things a foreign minister can do. He can suggest possible peace treaties with foreign civs to extort the money from them. Although the treacherous ways in which the foreign relations have been conducted so far prevent our glorious empire from cashing on the week, I vow to aim to the restoration of our reputation. To accomplish this, I suggest we wait till Washington constructs the Tower of Eiffel, then capture it, and immediately extort all money from our enemies and use it to bribe several of their cities.

In addition to the support to this plan, I pledge to supply intelligence on our enemies’ strongholds, particularly capitals, and to provide the president with enough diplomats and spies to sabotage the fortifications our enemies might have built around their cities.

The exit polls suggest I may just win these elections.
Still, too close to call (overseas votes haven’t arrived yet).
Old September 30, 2003, 03:47   #5
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
However, being known for his honour, Obiwan won’t use the force to influence the minds of the voters

Look at the votes...

Quote:
I vow to aim to the restoration of our reputation.
What do we care what the puny pagans think of us? We can take them all down, one at a time.
Old October 1, 2003, 20:50   #6
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

How come 12 people have voted in the Presidential election but only 9 in this one? This is a close election, and we ought to make sure to support those!

If you haven't voted here yet, please do. These is a bit over 12 hours left to go.

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old October 2, 2003, 00:05   #7
King

This one is still too close to call. At one point, ljcvetko was up 4-1. Now it's a race.

Old October 2, 2003, 04:04   #8
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Who is this ljcvetko character?

/me checks his pm box for the payoff.

Hmmm... I haven't recieved it yet, guess I'll have to vote for Kenobi then.

Doesn't everyone know they need to grease the moderator's pockets if they want to curry favor?
Old October 2, 2003, 09:04   #9
duke o' york
Emperor

Er, I think I may have spoiled your election by voting for Ben and making things equal with very little time left.
oops.
I don't agree with what ljcvetko said about improving reputation. You'd only have to give away techs! With a judicious choice of cities to capture then funds won't be a problem.
I notice that the Germnas have just finished JSB......
Old October 2, 2003, 09:56   #10
cavebear
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by duke o' york
Er, I think I may have spoiled your election by voting for Ben and making things equal with very little time left.
oops.
We can use some electoral excitement!
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Old October 2, 2003, 10:56   #11
cavebear
Emperor

OK, the Foreign Minister election has ended in a tie. Ben Kenobi has reiterated his desire to serve as Foreign Minister after previously being Science Minister several times.

ljcvetko - Would you be interested in serving as either Science Minister or City-Planner instead of Foreign Minister this month? If not, then the procedure is that the existing elected administration (that would be myself and Minister of War Shade) will choose between the candidates, and I will seek volunteers for the vacant positions.

Old October 2, 2003, 11:19   #12
Ljube
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Mr. President, I'd be honoured to serve as city planner in your administration.

Since this is my first job here, I don't wish to go against the expressed desire of a veteran such as Obiwan. In fact, I'm glad I haven't won these elections, because I only participated out of fear to be voted out as a newbie (the case of one James Adams).

Concerning my excellent performance in these elections, I express my satisfaction with the results (6 votes!). I fear I might have blown my chances with my election programme (If I had kept my mouth shut, I might have even been elected). Not that it matters to me since there are still empty positions, which I would gladly take, just as I said when I nominated myself for the position of foreign minister.

One note though: The Germans posses more than 4000 gold an impressive figure, which is unlikely to drop because of their fundamentalist government. I know it's difficult to extort now, cause we are the strongest and our reputation is low and they are all allied, but consider that we'll have much easier ride if the German treasury is reduced to a few hundreds.
Old October 2, 2003, 11:42   #13
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Quote:
Doesn't everyone know they need to grease the moderator's pockets if they want to curry favor?
Aah, so you voted for banana again.

Wow! I can't say I expected to win being down 5-1.

Thanks for the excellent election ljcvetco. I hear that English is not your first language. If so, your English is much better than my serbian.

Quote:
consider that we'll have much easier ride if the German treasury is reduced to a few hundreds.
Capturing cities tends to drain their treasury rather quickly.

Last edited by Ben Kenobi; October 2, 2003 at 11:56.
Old October 2, 2003, 11:44   #14
cavebear
Emperor

ljcvetko - I am pleased to accept your offer to serve as City-Planner for this term!

Ben Kenobi - Congratulations on the opportunity to serve as Foreign Minister!

H Tower - Will you serve as our Science Minister this term?

All the Ministers, please PM me your email address so I can send you the game file.

Old October 2, 2003, 12:58   #15
King

Congratulations to ob- I mean congrats Ben. It was a good race and good races are always nice to see And congrats to ljcvetko on the City-Planner position... which IMO is the second most important role after President. The CP has a lot of power.

In factI think that every Minister will have some polling to do, since we now should have bribe options vis-a-vis the Americans, a route into Zululand for troops, and have picked up 2 of the 3 techs we were looking for (so we need new tech goals). So hopefully everyone is happy

Old October 2, 2003, 13:39   #16
Sparrowhawk
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
and have picked up 2 of the 3 techs we were looking for (so we need new tech goals).
And we are currently researching the 3rd, so we definetely need new tech goals...or a 0% Science Rate after Tactics.

/me Minister of Constructive Criticism of those with Elected Positions
Old October 3, 2003, 01:42   #17
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Quote:
Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

Aah, so you voted for banana again.

Actually I voted in solidarity with my fellow Harmony Party member
Old October 3, 2003, 01:45   #18
H Tower

Quote:
Originally posted by ljcvetko
In fact, I'm glad I haven't won these elections, because I only participated out of fear to be voted out as a newbie (the case of one James Adams).
We never voted him away from the game, he chooses to visit us every once in a while on his own free will. JA is simply famous for his strange posts and losing to the banana in an election
Old October 3, 2003, 02:25   #19
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Quote:
Actually I voted in solidarity with my fellow Harmony
Party member
Thanks.

The banana has greased a few palms before.
Old October 3, 2003, 06:58   #20
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 21:30
Quote:
Originally posted by H Tower

We never voted him away from the game, he chooses to visit us every once in a while on his own free will. JA is simply famous for his strange posts and losing to the banana in an election
Come to think of it there is one pretty much like this in the Civ3 DG too, except he is more useless than strange, a major spammer (second in line for Deity after rah!), and JA is at least friendly and can be fun to talk with. And this one has been beaten by the Banana in no less than 2 elections, and has only once been allowed to hold office - VP, when he ended up doing nothing, thankfully. p-a-n-a-g.

That's to stop him searching out his name and endangering the sanctity of our nice little game with his spam.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old October 3, 2003, 10:05   #21
cavebear
Emperor

And JA didn't lose to the Banana because he was new and unknown to us; he lost to the Banana because we *did* know him well.
Old October 3, 2003, 22:26   #22
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 21:30
Oh no, we know this guy a little TOO much...

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!