View Poll Results: What will be the next AU scenario?
Limited resources 2 8.33%
UN Peacekeepers 9 37.50%
Big Brother 4 16.67%
Meet And Greet 1 4.17%
Contact from Conquests prelude 1 4.17%
No extortion/no research 1 4.17%
Island/Naval game 3 12.50%
Real World 2 8.33%
Multiple ideas - from Godking and fanes7 1 4.17%
Banana 0 0%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 29, 2003, 13:02   #1
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 02:31
Local Date: November 2, 2010
The next AU scenario (AU210)
Per the discussion in this thread this is the poll to vote on your preference for the next AU scenario.

The ideas we have are:

Limited resources - from PeaSoup
UN Peacekeepers - from TheArsenal (modified by Dominae)
Big Brother - from Hot Enamel
Meet And Greet - from Beta
Contact from Conquests prelude - from PeaSoup
No extortion/no research - from Thrar
Island/Naval game - from Mountain Sage
Real World - from AJ Corp the Fair
Multiple ideas - from Godking and fanes7

Please go to the link posted above for examples of each game.

This poll will last three days and then I will begin making a scenario based on the result. I hope to have it ready by sometime early next week.

Last edited by Rhothaerill; September 29, 2003 at 19:42.
Old September 29, 2003, 14:37   #2
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 05:31
UN peacekeepers, as modified by me.

I like the idea of doing a preparation for Conquests, but perhaps we could wait a little to see what additional features get put in (and released as spoilers). I'm sure we can get two AU courses in before its release.

Dominae
Old September 29, 2003, 19:00   #3
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
No poll vote for me... I am up for any of Peacekeepers, Meet and Greet, and Real World.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old September 30, 2003, 06:32   #4
Mountain Sage
PtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 09:31
UN peacekeepers, but you guys should really stop playing only on pangea maps...

P.S. I'm sure the real UN would love to have Arrian's armies to enforce peace by slaughtering 'bad' aggressive military units.
Old September 30, 2003, 10:57   #5
Dominae
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Sage
UN peacekeepers, but you guys should really stop playing only on pangea maps...
There has not been a Pangea AU scenario for quite some time. We ususally play Continents.

Dominae
Old September 30, 2003, 11:24   #6
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

My vote: Peacekeepers, Large Map, Pangea.
Old October 1, 2003, 03:16   #7
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 03:31
All sound pretty nice. I'll take whatever comes

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old October 1, 2003, 07:01   #8
Mountain Sage
PtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 09:31
Quote:
Originally posted by Dominae
There has not been a Pangea AU scenario for quite some time. We ususally play Continents.
Dominae
(Big) continents = small Pangeas for me

The virtues of salt water...
Old October 1, 2003, 09:16   #9
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Hmm. For some reason, "real world" sounds good to me right now.

No vote yet, though.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old October 1, 2003, 14:07   #10
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

This poll still runs for another day or so, but unless we get a run on another option it looks like UN peacekeepers will be the choice for the next AU game. I've already started designing it (though if another one is chosen that can be accomodated). I plan to run a little bit more testing on this one than I did on AUSG101 so I hope to have it up and running by the end of the weekend at the latest.

This brings us to another point...civ choice. I'd like to limit the number of civ choices to one and I wanted to get people's opinion on that. I was thinking either America or France right now. There are certain civs I won't consider as they will be part of the scenario, but I won't name them right now so you can discover them in-game.
Old October 1, 2003, 14:13   #11
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 10:31
Quote:
Originally posted by Rhothaerill
This brings us to another point...civ choice. I'd like to limit the number of civ choices to one and I wanted to get people's opinion on that. I was thinking either America or France right now. There are certain civs I won't consider as they will be part of the scenario, but I won't name them right now so you can discover them in-game.
You can't possibly put them surrender monkeys as peacekeepers, can you?

Just kidding, I would play France with great pleasure. With or without a Chirac leaderhead.
Old October 1, 2003, 14:14   #12
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

The Mongols.

Just kidding.

Maybe France, renamed "Canada" and given a 5/5/3 replacement Cavalry ("Mounty")

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old October 1, 2003, 14:21   #13
Dominae
Emperor

A final game with a pre-C3C Industrious civ sounds like a good idea. I would prefer America to France, because: 1) it makes the early-game more interesting from a peacekeeping perspective, and 2) I'm really tired of playing with Carthage all the time, and 3) it should create an interest contrast to present-day events (or not!).

Dominae
Old October 1, 2003, 14:31   #14
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dominae
A final game with a pre-C3C Industrious civ sounds like a good idea. I would prefer America to France, because: 1) it makes the early-game more interesting from a peacekeeping perspective, and 2) I'm really tired of playing with Carthage all the time, and 3) it should create an interest contrast to present-day events (or not!).

Dominae
The last chance at Industrious before it gets nerfed was part of my idea behind the two choices. Without giving too much away Industrious might come in handy too.

The other reason was the present day events. Without making this a political discussion , both of those two civs fit the "peacekeeping" theme in different ways.
Old October 1, 2003, 14:34   #15
Harovan
staff

You mean a "say bye bye to a useful industrious trait" game? Gread idea! America is a good choice too, since you'll get early to know all the people you'll have to "protect" later and can sneak in a few distant bases even in the REX phase.
Old October 1, 2003, 14:35   #16
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Peacekeepers. Americans. Love the irony in that.

And Rhoth - by definition, this shold be a pangaea map, right? As I mentioned elsewhere, if the goal is to prevent any other civ from being eliminated by its neighbours, you could effectively lose the game early in the first era on a continent map. You will never have met the victim. Simply a body lying in the gutter. Was it Mrs Peacock, or Professor Plum? And was that a candlestick or a leadpipe that caved in his skull?
Old October 1, 2003, 14:37   #17
Harovan
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Beta
Peacekeepers. Americans. Love the irony in that.
It can't beat the irony of Hippie Sam in the "Give peace a chance" game, though.
Old October 1, 2003, 14:45   #18
ZargonX
PtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 MorganC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsBtS Tri-LeagueApolyton UniversityPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's Union
Emperor

I'm voting for the UN game, though the Real World scenario also sounds pretty fun. I'm curious to see what you're whipping up for us, Rhoth
Old October 1, 2003, 14:46   #19
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

It is a pangaea map. It had to be to be able to contact all other civs before the possibility of them being wiped out. In my first go-around on AU209 (a continents map), both England and France were gone by the time I found the other continent and the Babs were almost victim of the German KAI. It didn't happen that way in the second try I'm still playing. I don't want to defeat the theme of this game before giving everyone a chance to play the game around the theme.

Last edited by Rhothaerill; October 1, 2003 at 14:53.
Old October 1, 2003, 15:13   #20
Arrian
Deity

Could we do "UN" on the real world map?

edit: doh, Rothy's point re: civs getting wiped out prior to intercontinental contact stands.

Hmm. Maybe world map, with all civs starting on the EuroAsAfrican superlandmass, with the Americas & Aussieland empty?

-Arrian

Old October 1, 2003, 15:25   #21
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

We would probably want to set this up with "Respawn" turned off.
Old October 1, 2003, 15:27   #22
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by TheArsenal
We would probably want to set this up with "Respawn" turned off.
I always turn respawn off, but in this case it shouldn't matter since the objective is to keep everyone alive anyway.
Old October 1, 2003, 15:33   #23
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

BTW, I plan on using roughly the same DAR format Dominae used for AU209. It will be tweaked a little bit since this is a pangaea map so contact with "the other continent" won't be one of the DAR cut-offs.
Old October 3, 2003, 00:27   #24
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Update on this game. Obviously UN Peacekeepers has won the poll. I am currently setting up and testing the game a bit first. I hope to have it up by Saturday.

When I post this for general consumption the game will have saves ready for regent through deity skill levels using both the AU mod and standard rules.
Old October 3, 2003, 02:11   #25
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Man that is quite an under taking Rhothaerill, thanks for the effort.
Old October 3, 2003, 02:22   #26
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 03:31
wow Rhoth, that's a lot of work. You rule

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old October 3, 2003, 11:40   #27
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Actually it's not that difficult to set it up for all of them. For each of the skill levels it's just a button-click change and then save the 4000bc savegame. For the AU mod vs. standard the editor has a "default rules" option that I can change the scenario from AU mod rules to default rules.
Old October 3, 2003, 12:05   #28
Dominae
Emperor

Rhoth, a little hint: they respect you more when they think you're doing a lot of work to set up the scenarios. Let them praise your efforts, minor as they may be.

Dominae
Old October 3, 2003, 12:13   #29
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Oh, umm...well it has taken a while to test the scenario first.

Oh wise sensei, thank you for your teachings.