Old September 30, 2003, 02:01   #1
Voltaire
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessNever Ending StoriesC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Human Hive
King

Local Time: 02:33
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Turn submission deadline proposal
I was speaking to Kody about the unpredictability of the turn, and an idea popped into my mind.

If we assigned a weekday to each of the 5 human factions when their turns have to be in, we could make it predictable hence making the planning process much easier.

For example:

Monday=Hive
Tuesday=University
Etc.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions, criticisms, and so on welcomed.
Old September 30, 2003, 03:18   #2
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 09:33
Or if some factions would just openly say that they need 48-60 hours for thier turn, and people could plan accordingly? That would help us to get into a regular pattern too.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old September 30, 2003, 05:09   #3
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 19:33
Having set turn times not going to happen, as it is unlikely anyone else would support the idea.

Firstly, it goes against the people that want to get the turn out faster as more than enough time has to be given for each turn. If the faction before does the turn faster you simply end up with more time you can drag you feet.

Secondly, factions already have trouble keeping to a 48 hour limit, and will dislike having another restriction on when and how fast they play their turn.

The good side of having a set time for doing your turn would be people that have commitments will be able to organise their life such that they spend less time waiting for ACDG turns. It means members know when to set aside time to play the ACDG or to get online and discuss issues.

Jamski's option is actually possible, but relies on everyone cooperating. It may be useful if each faction could guess the amount of time it will take them to finish their next turn and edit old last turn post with a different time if you have some real life issue come up. If an issue comes up after you've gotten the turn then simply say that you're holding the turn and expect to finish the turn after so much time.

That way people can add all the delays and know they've got maybe 4 days until they have to get together and discuss something, or how long they've got to work the diplomancy until the next turn.

If you're doing something critical, that you don't want people to know about beforehand just post your regular time to finish a turn. Then say something came up and you're want more time.
Old September 30, 2003, 13:50   #4
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

I like that idea I would be happy to follow it. I think having a post to say when its expected works well, and helps planning, without inconveniencing the playing team much

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old September 30, 2003, 17:39   #5
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

WTF?

I made a suggestion that people like?

/me has to go and lie down in a cool room *

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old September 30, 2003, 18:46   #6
jtsisyoda
ACDG The Free DronesAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
King

Local Time: 04:33
Get back up, Jamski, because I hate this idea. Well, hate is way too strong, but I do see some problems with it.

Right now certain teams may play quickly and want to play quickly, but in the future they might need more time. So pinning them down to a quick time-frame seems unfair.

A day of week deadline would have a net slowing effect, because people would tend to wait until the last bloody second to post their turn. (To prevent the next team from getting extra time.) The turns would never go faster than the limit. At least the current way, some turns are posted before the maximum time. There are already penalties for being slow, so I say we live with it as is.

Ed. Sorry, I got mixed up on whose idea was whose... anyway, my opinion is to keep current rules.
Old September 30, 2003, 18:51   #7
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 19:33
It's a per turn basis.

Each turn you say how long you guess your next turn will take. There's nothing stopping you from taking more time. Or revising the amount of time you need. It's more to help people figure out when the turn will arrive.
Old September 30, 2003, 19:01   #8
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 10:33
I think things have improved in the past couple of rounds. But as the game develops, two factors are going to effect speed of play: diplomacy and unexpected (not random) events.

Diplomacy usually requires consultation and maybe a poll or two and if the issue in question arises suddenly, like a council proposal from an AI. That might take time to play the faction response/ vote.

A sudden attack from a faction with whom you were previously drinking champagne and swilling xenorum and flirting with their secretary for war.

Ok all factions are not down to the 8 hours of the Hive and Drone but I repeat I think they have improved.

Maybe ask God Googlie for his view.