Old September 30, 2003, 02:43   #1
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 09:33
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Hi
Hi guys,

I guess most of you know me as a vaguely competent Deity SP player of Civ2.

Just got GalCiv - woohoo - d/led all the addons - just rarin' to go ...

Where do I start ??????? - there seems to be so much information that I will never actually play the game if I start reading at page 1.

Stu
Old September 30, 2003, 03:09   #2
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 11:33
The best way to start, is to play with the AI at one of the lower levels. The GalCiv AI is perhaps one of the most competent ones out there, and it can present you with some nasty surprises. That's not to say that it can't be beaten, but it is a good AI.

Things to realize from the start is the importance of 1) Getting as many systems as possible, before the AI. 2) Good utilization of the economic sliders 3) Not be afraid to put yourself in the red for a few turns 4) Sell tech to minor Civs, as well as the major ones 5) If you are the conquering type, work out the fastest path to Capital ships, preferably Dreadnoughts.

1) Land rush. The AI knows where all the good planets are. This is not a cheat. The backstory to the game explains why. This means that you need to get as many colony ships out there as possible. This is extremely important the smaller the map gets. But it is a good strategy for any map size. Don't be afraid to rush buy the first 4 or 5 colony ships. It will put you in debt, but you should meet other civs pretty quickly, and thus start selling tech.

2) Use the economic sliders. The first turns, I have them set to Research 100%, social prod. to 0 and military prod. to 0. Why? You can wait a bit with social production. You'll only be producing colony ships the first 7-10 turns anyway, and you'll be buying most of those, so why spend resources on military production. Put everything into research, and get to diplomatic translators as fast as possible. That way you can conduct negociations. After that it is up to your own playing style, where you want to set the sliders. I generally put more into research than the two others, unless I am threatened. In that case I go 100% military.

3) Don't be afraid to go into debt. While bad for morale, in GalCiv it is not that hard to make money. Don't go too far into debt, however. Anything under 500 bc, and your economy is crippled. Literally. You won't be able to produce or research anything.

4) Sell tech and trade goods. Tech selling is pretty obvious. The only tech I normally don't sell, is strategically vital tech (i.e. I have battleship as the only player, so I don't sell the battleship tech) and the diplomatic techs (the yellow ones) Keep diplo tech to yourself. If you have the upper hand in diplomatic negociations, this can really give you some sweet deals.

5) Many players have pointed out, that the tech tree gives no options but to go as fast as possible for Dreadnoughts. I don't agree with this, but it is certainly a good way to go, if you like warmongering

6) Starbases. Build many. They give sweet production bonuses, and boosts your trade routes, but remeber to balance them with their upkeep of 10 bc per turn (BTW bc = billion credits).

This was a little advice. There is lots more to give, so don't be afraid to ask, as you go along.

Asmodean
Old September 30, 2003, 03:46   #3
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Thanks As - a good start for me

Stu
Old October 3, 2003, 14:46   #4
LDiCesare
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Another strategy:
(Start at normal difficulty or less, you'll get up afterwards)

1) Land rush.
YES you must rush. I avoid leasing except for a contested planet. Look at all lease options. The 2nd is usually quite good. One way to avoid leasing is to use 100% military for the starting turns, until you've got a few stars. Then you can raise research and maybe social spendings. A good way to help in the start is to pick +1 speed option. Your colony ships can beat the others who know where they should go while you don't.

2) Use the economic sliders.
DO put 100% spending and get 100% morale at the start. 100% morale doubles your population growth. You can get up to -500 BC wihtout trouble, so do use this possibility. Just never drop below -500. Remember that production costs money.

4) Sell tech and trade goods.
YES. Note that everyone who plays maso that I know usually uses +60% diplomacy pick and the political party that gives +20% diplomacy. Never underestimate the power of diplomacy. Remember you can pay races to go at wars against one another.

Your starting techs should be comm theory, universal translators, diplomacy (switch to republic and try to build Diplomatic Translators) and TRADE. After that, it's a question of style. Military techs help your enemies keep a low profile. Trading is very important, particularly on smaller maps. It raises your relations with other races and both your and their income.

6) Starbases. Build many.
Start mining resources. Don't build starbases too early. Don't build military or culture starbases in the same sector as an ai race if you don't want them to declare war on you.

Planet Quality:
This is the most important thing. Settle planets with PQ 15+. The AI doesn't pick lower PQ planets. You will want to do that only if you can quickly convert a planet to 15+. Planets of class 13 and lower actually cost money. Don't land there without a good reason.
As a corrollary, you want to have soil and habitat improvements (the 2 social projects which give +10% PQ) as the first thing you build on all your planets (these and banks).
LDiCesare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2003, 18:51   #5
Asmodean
Emperor

So, Scouse Gits. How did it go with GalCiv? Are you enjoying the game? Or has it become shelfware already?

Do tell if the hints we posted were of any help

Asmodean
Old November 12, 2003, 19:01   #6
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 19:33
thank god you're still alive

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Alexander's Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2003, 20:56   #7
Trifna
King

Local Time: 17:33
Hey, we have a deity with us!!

How come I see so few deity if they're deities?

Scouse, I would add some things about combat:
1-
Once you colonized, you can spend just the minimum on military (which depends on neighbors) so that you get the potential of your economy up. Know exactly when you want to use this potential and BOOM! You got a bunch of waves taking opponent systems.

2-
When you attack, be sure that you're gonna be the winner and have enough power to inflict the damage needed to bring the other sufficiently on his knees. You don't want a Vietnam or Iraq that gets your economy exhausted.
Old November 30, 2003, 14:23   #8
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
How come I see so few deity if they're deities?
Deities don't usually take time out of their busy schedules of raping, pillaging, and smiting to talk to mere mortals.
Old December 1, 2003, 06:09   #9
Asmodean
Emperor

Since Scouse hasn't answered, I think it is safe to assume that he doesn't play Galciv anymore

Asmodean
Old December 5, 2003, 14:02   #10
Trifna
King

Local Time: 17:33
Asmodean, I like your avatar

Does she come with the hat? Before anyone asks, my anchovy comes with the little paper below :P
Old December 7, 2003, 16:45   #11
Asmodean
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Trifna
Asmodean, I like your avatar

Does she come with the hat? Before anyone asks, my anchovy comes with the little paper below :P
I regret to say that I have never met her personally. And I think my wife would be pretty angry if I did

Asmodean
Old December 19, 2003, 00:59   #12
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 04:33
Land Rush, Planet Quality, Starbases. The three fundamental keys.

Reckon Scouse Gits is just involved with a gigantic map?
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
PLATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2004, 18:17   #13
Mad Bomber
King

Local Time: 05:33
Quote:

1) Land rush. The AI knows where all the good planets are. This is not a cheat. The backstory to the game explains why. This means that you need to get as many colony ships out there as possible. This is extremely important the smaller the map gets. But it is a good strategy for any map size. Don't be afraid to rush buy the first 4 or 5 colony ships. It will put you in debt, but you should meet other civs pretty quickly, and thus start selling tech.
Yes the land grab is pretty important but rush 4-5 colony ships?
I just rush the first then I rush a second Survey ship, I follow that up with a scout. Hopefully by then I have two colonies established and I can begin constructing colony ships.

Quote:
2) Use the economic sliders. The first turns, I have them set to Research 100%, social prod. to 0 and military prod. to 0. Why? You can wait a bit with social production. You'll only be producing colony ships the first 7-10 turns anyway, and you'll be buying most of those, so why spend resources on military production. Put everything into research, and get to diplomatic translators as fast as possible. That way you can conduct negociations. After that it is up to your own playing style, where you want to set the sliders. I generally put more into research than the two others, unless I am threatened. In that case I go 100% military.
Research at 100%? Not possible. I want to get my soil improvements ASAP I then follow it with an entertainment network and then a production improvement (hopefukky I have researched Fusion Power PLant by then) followed by the banking center. I also do not like going into debt and it is not necessary to do so IMO.

Quote:

3) Don't be afraid to go into debt. While bad for morale, in GalCiv it is not that hard to make money. Don't go too far into debt, however. Anything under 500 bc, and your economy is crippled. Literally. You won't be able to produce or research anything.
Might be necessary on high levels on beginning levels its not necessary.

Quote:
4) Sell tech and trade goods. Tech selling is pretty obvious. The only tech I normally don't sell, is strategically vital tech (i.e. I have battleship as the only player, so I don't sell the battleship tech) and the diplomatic techs (the yellow ones) Keep diplo tech to yourself. If you have the upper hand in diplomatic negociations, this can really give you some sweet deals
I take the Technologists as I seem to do the best whenever I do so (bonus 20% research and +1 speed) I agree with you on tech selling just make sure you are smart about it (e.g. Don't sell terror start tech to the Dengrin ,ect. ) Diplomacy is nice but there is nothing more satisfying than crushing the Galaxy under the heel of your boot.

Quote:
5) Many players have pointed out, that the tech tree gives no options but to go as fast as possible for Dreadnoughts. I don't agree with this, but it is certainly a good way to go, if you like warmongering
This is probably true on higher level difficulty but on the lower leverls I have had very good sucess using Frigates and Battle Cruisers. If needed your Survey Ships can be reigned in for offensive purposes after getting some ship improvements

Quote:
6) Starbases. Build many. They give sweet production bonuses, and boosts your trade routes, but remeber to balance them with their upkeep of 10 bc per turn (BTW bc = billion credits).
Starbases are extremely important, their upkeep is the same as a single frigate (and 2 less than a DN) so its not like its a huge deal.
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Mad Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2004, 18:33   #14
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 04:33
Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Bomber
Starbases are extremely important, their upkeep is the same as a single frigate (and 2 less than a DN) so its not like its a huge deal.
IMHO starbases are the key to victory. Well placed and defended starbases provide enormous advantages in many areas for little upkeep. Of course the cost in constructors to fully outfit one can be enormous.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
PLATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2004, 10:21   #15
bakalov
Prince

Local Time: 12:33
What about the following game:
Huge clustered galaxy, 5 incredible opponents with default alignments?

This is my current setup.
Starting location is quite good, nearly perfect - a PQ26 colonizable immediately, starting one was PQ 21 (with +5%), a minor race in the next sector, no AIs in the cluster, and you can beat everyone for the cluster in the corner too, though there are only ~8 colonizable planets in it, much more are in the starting cluster.

Race is +5% PQ; Federalists +20% economy; +economy (cant remember how much but may be +30%); bravery and diplomacy. Win condition is military victory only.

I did the following - colonized 4 planets in starting cluster with military at 100; researched at 100 for diplomatic translators and leased them;
Clonized the 2 clusters with military at 100 and then researched for tri stronium; gravity accelerators and eyes of the universe and leased them too (these are the things that i consider important).

At this moment established contact with everyone and started build up at social 100% while buying techs (at incredible it seems impossible to outresearch them). I usually buy a tech that only one race has (for money) and trade it with the other races for other techs.
I didn't buy any military techs and maintained warm relations with everyone by gifts of money and influence.

At certain point build constructors for 9 production enhancing star bases in my best sector (which was the starting one - 8 colonies; the best colony was there too). Built most of the wonders and trade goods by leasing (as least as possible) or building in this sector.

Bought the tech that is before the one required for the terraformer, and researched the next one by immediate exploring of may unexplained anomalies.

Finally bought the escalibur tech for ~ 36000 BC. My empire had to work 6 turns for this :-)
My first built military ship was an escalibur. I now build only escaliburs in the starting sector and constructors everywhere else. I have all techs and I am encouraging the wars between the AI while slowly conquering them cultuarally while my bases and doomstars are guarded by constantly growing fleet of eskaliburs.

I found (may be I'm not the first one to do it :-) a way to "steal resources" from my "friends". I bring 3 eskaliburs (this number may vary - it should = number of ships you need for future defence at this point +1)
to the resource starbase and lots of constructors. Then I put my ships in the following configuration:

CCC
CEC
CRC

C is constructor
E is 1 escalibur
R is my "friend"'s resource starbase

Then I sell the escalibur to a race that my "friend" is in war with (if there isn't one then I pay someone to declare war, or pay to my "friend" to attack someone).
On the next turn the escalibur destroys the starbase and the constructors build a new one for me. They can even build a terror star to drag the resource towards my territory while the other escaliburs are guarding it.

I'm looking forward for any comments or other ideas how this game can be played ...
Old January 29, 2004, 06:03   #16
bakalov
Prince

Local Time: 12:33
Asmodean, speaking of avatars, do you know who she is? Her name? ...