Old October 1, 2003, 09:06   #1
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 04:38
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Volcano's and stuff
A few comments on the info about conquests we can glean from screenshots etc.

I noticed that volcano's cant be improved. Thats a pity since it would be reasonable to allow for thermal generators such as they have in Iceland. Could be costly to build but produce no pollution and double shield production (could be a small wonder).

I've also noticed that a lot (some) of the changes that will be incorporated into the game with conquests I've seen in various player scenarios/mods. For example, the requirement for specific resources to build certain buildings or wonders.

Hopefully the Napoleanic conquest scenario will include highland inf (graphics) for the Brit player
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
SpencerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2003, 09:27   #2
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 02:38
I see why they (Firaxis) decided not to allow improvements on the volcano tile because the tile by itself is all ready a shield producing powerhouse. Can you imagine what kind of production one could get out of it if a mine was allowed to be built there as well?!

Of course, if and when the volcano decides to blow - all hell is let loose. I can't wait to see it in action.
Old October 1, 2003, 09:33   #3
SpencerH
Emperor

A thermal plant just adds more spice to the risk of building near a volcano. It could even increase the risk of an eruption. If atari dont do it, hopefully I can set it up in the editor.
Old October 1, 2003, 14:58   #4
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I'm almost positive you can edit volcano type to allow improvements, but this probably won't have any impact on risk of eruption.
joncnunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2003, 22:14   #5
G'Kar
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 03:38
Do we know what the sheild stats are for the volcano?
G'Kar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2003, 22:33   #6
Louis XXIV
C4WDG Stratega
Prince

You get 3 shields from volcanos and you can edit how often they errupt.
Old October 11, 2003, 17:58   #7
realpolitic
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 01:38
Doesn't lava make the soil more fertile? I'm planning on modding my Volcanos to 1 food.
realpolitic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2003, 19:33   #8
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by realpolitic
Doesn't lava make the soil more fertile? I'm planning on modding my Volcanos to 1 food.
IIRC, lava (which is molten rock) doesn't make the soil more fertile...well, maybe underneath the cooled lava flow - but you would need to break though the cooled rock just to get to soil (though most of it has most likely reverted to a glass/crystaline substance).

However, the volcanic ash that is released from an eruption would make the soil more fertile...

So I would think that you could get a food bonus on areas surrounding the volcano (1 or 2 tiles out) but not on the volcano tile itself. At least this makes sense to me...
Old October 12, 2003, 07:05   #9
Stuie
King

Local Time: 05:38
I don't think anyone is rushing out to farm the sides of Mt. Saint Helens....

Then again, we're not gaining any production bonuses from it either. Maybe volcanoes should have the "tourism" flag attached to them.
Stuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2003, 07:26   #10
SpencerH
Emperor

I dont know for sure, but I dont think volcanic ash is good fertilizer, its too caustic (basic).
Old October 12, 2003, 11:35   #11
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

I agree Spencer. I was using it as an example if the ash is added to the surrounding soil in a small quantity. But you are right, 3 feet of volcanic ash would sufficate farm land rather than help it out.
Old October 12, 2003, 17:47   #12
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 18:38
Volcano's are great producers....

a large amount of the timber on the side of the US volcano was clean cut from the blast, and a fortune was made clearing these and selling them all over the world...
Old October 12, 2003, 23:45   #13
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 09:38
Spencer, depending on HOW Volcanoes will work, as TERRAIN, you might be able to have your wish-simply by tweaking the game in the editor!

Here's what I suggest. Create a 'strategic resource' called 'Geothermal' Heat, with a high appearance rate, and a low disappearance rate, and have it ONLY appear in Volcanoe terrain!
Then it's just an easy case of making a 'Geothermal Power Station' either a Small wonder, or an improvement, which requires the 'Geothermal Heat' Resource!! EDIT: Make it an Improvement if you can give it the 'Must have resource in City Radius' flag!
Hope this helps !!!

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker.
The_Aussie_Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2003, 04:57   #14
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

It seems more likely to me that Volcanoes will appear as an overlay on mountains. I hope your right, though, Aussie.
Old October 13, 2003, 07:05   #15
SpencerH
Emperor

Its a good thought Aussie.

Volcanos may be incorporated into the game as a special resource that appears on mountains and when it dissappears it 'blows'. That would ease the programming I think.
Old October 13, 2003, 22:41   #16
Louis XXIV
C4WDG Stratega
Prince

When I asked about terrain types, they said Marshes and Volcanoes (which made me think it was a specific terrain type, and not an add-on to Mountains).
Old October 13, 2003, 22:48   #17
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

When I thought about it some more, it occured to me that the 'Geothermal Heat' resource could also appear on other terrain types-such as certain lakes, tundras and maybe even marshes! Of course, you might have to lower its appearance rate just a little bit!!

Yours,
The_aussie_Lurker
The_Aussie_Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2003, 03:02   #18
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 03:38
Volcanoes are not an addition, they are a terrain type like mountains. As for volcanic ash, it might be good for soil in the long run... veeeeeery long run, as in not in 6000 years of human history type long.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Master Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2003, 13:24   #19
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Volcanos are a terraign type. And happen to be the only land type where you aren't allowed to build a road, so I wouldn't recomending making a strategic resource that's found on some of them. A bonus luxary though should work.
joncnunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2003, 13:48   #20
WarpStorm
King

Of course if he modded it have the strategic resource he can mod it to allow a road also.