Old October 1, 2003, 13:51   #1
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 05:39
Local Date: November 2, 2010
PTW Democracy Game II
FYI to those who may be interested:

As you may know, there are 2 PtW Democracy games underway here at Apolyton (aside from the intersite Demogame between 'poly and other sites):

The second game was started as a more light-hearted game. The original is pretty intense.

I'm involved in both PTW Demogames. In the second one, my team ("Cake or Death?") is in need of more members. CoD is, like all of the PTW DemoII teams, based loosely on a theme. Ours is the comedy of Eddie Izzard, an English comedian/actor. Anyway, we currently have all of 2 active members, and as the game progresses, that just has to change. So anyone who is interested, please let me know.

I should also mention that the Gathering Storm (my PtW DemoI team) can also always use fresh blood. But it's Cake or Death? that really needs a transfusion.

The game is currently at 2430bc, if memory serves, so it's quite early (whereas the first demogame is into the AD years).

So, to any of you who might want to get in on the whole multi-player democracy game thing, here is your chance.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old October 1, 2003, 18:37   #2
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 03:39
Can I join GS?

Seriously, demo games are fun, especially multiplayer ones. Participating in the ISDG and the PTWDG I have been incredible experiences. The PTWDG II has just started so any new member will not have too much "adjustment" difficulties.

Join! Join!

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old October 1, 2003, 19:28   #3
Hot_Enamel
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 20:39
Team Monkey has 5 members with about 3 being active.

Join us, and teach these human subspecies who is truly the dominant race of the world.

PTWDG II Forum

Just send a PM to me if you want to join.
Old October 2, 2003, 04:17   #4
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 11:39
I haven't been in a democracy game. anyone want me?
Old October 2, 2003, 06:02   #5
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 09:39
Thanks for making this thread Arrian.
Old October 2, 2003, 06:17   #6
Ecthy
Emperor

Do you want to join, FP?
Old October 2, 2003, 06:22   #7
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

/me is already the brave and fearless leader of the team that Arrian is on.
Old October 2, 2003, 06:27   #8
Ecthy
Emperor

Sorry, didn't know. Can I join?
Old October 2, 2003, 06:31   #9
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Ecthy:

Quote:
In the second one, my team ("Cake or Death?") is in need of more members. CoD is, like all of the PTW DemoII teams, based loosely on a theme. Ours is the comedy of Eddie Izzard, an English comedian/actor.
If you've heard of and like the comedian in question then yes, otherwise you'd probably be better off finding another team. There are several others with different themes that you might find appealing.
Starting a thread in this forum would be the best way for you to find a team I think: http://apolyton.net/forums/forumdisp...s=&forumid=199
Old October 2, 2003, 06:39   #10
Mountain Sage
PtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Arrian,
I understand it is a PBEM game, therefore, before I committ myself, I'd like to know how you play it exactly, turn-wise and time-wise?

I might face two problems:
1. Interenet connections in Switzerland are (still) expensive. I can get a 24/h 7/7 package for a lump sum, but since it's much more expensive, i'd like to know if it's worth it.
2. For family, professional and time-lag reasons, I cannot get a save, play a round, send it to everybody, wait for their play etc. (if it'played this way).

Oh Dark Master, I beg you to enlighten me.
Old October 2, 2003, 07:02   #11
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Everything you ever wanted to know about Democracy Games: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=81684

That's the FAQ for the singleplayer democracy game, but many of the same principles apply. You don't have to be able to actually physically the play the game in order to join a team (but it wouldn't hurt). All it requires is that you log onto Apolyton and post your opinions and suggestions in the team's forum based on reports and screenshots that others have posted.
Old October 2, 2003, 07:03   #12
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Oh and don't worry if you can't contribute a lot, as long as you're willing to contribute something and are able to check the forum and make a few posts a couple of times a week then most teams will be very happy.
Old October 2, 2003, 07:04   #13
vulture
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 10:39
Each team has one (or more, depending on how the team is organised) designated player. That player receives the save from another team, plays it and sends it on to the next team. I'm in both games, but can't get involved in the actual playing of the game. But there is plenty of discussion about what to do with the turn, developing plans, getting involved in diplomacy. One of the strong features of PTWDGs is the fact that even players who have very little time to get involved and can't play the turns themselves can still make useful contributions to the team. All my involvement is done in brief moments at work when I have time to read the private forum, see what is going on, and possibly make some comments or add some ideas.

So I'd say if you're at all interested, join a team. The worst that can happen is that you occasionally read the forum and never post anything.
Old October 2, 2003, 07:14   #14
Ecthy
Emperor

I think I'd rather find another team :/
Old October 2, 2003, 08:33   #15
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Ecthelion - try Team Monkey. Konquest02, Hot_Enamel, myself and our Simian friends. Join the zoo.

Actually, the Carthaginians.
Old October 2, 2003, 08:37   #16
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Sage
Arrian,
I understand it is a PBEM game, therefore, before I committ myself, I'd like to know how you play it exactly, turn-wise and time-wise?

I might face two problems:
1. Interenet connections in Switzerland are (still) expensive. I can get a 24/h 7/7 package for a lump sum, but since it's much more expensive, i'd like to know if it's worth it.
2. For family, professional and time-lag reasons, I cannot get a save, play a round, send it to everybody, wait for their play etc. (if it'played this way).

Oh Dark Master, I beg you to enlighten me.
I'll second what FP said. Don't worry about having to be there to play each turn etc. What most teams need are ideas and input, discussion and debate. MS, you would be a great addition to any team.

Team Monkey in the PTWDGII would welcome you, as would Vox Controli in the PTWDG. Although I have to warn you regarding the latter - we are in a re-building mode.
Old October 2, 2003, 08:38   #17
Ecthy
Emperor

the zoo?
Old October 2, 2003, 09:46   #18
Mountain Sage
King

Ah well,

You convinced me to give it a try...

Why don't you discuss between your teams who would like to have me? (and take me by the hand the first time to explain what to do and what not to do).
I'll try to adapt.
Of course, my preferences are, in listed order:
1. A PP team.
2. A PUP team.
3. A warmonger team, but only after having launched the spaceship (just to conquer the galaxy, that is).
4. A 'UN team', fighting only for preserving its empire and style of life.
5. A very light warmonger team, doing occasionnally short 'police patrols'.
6. Any other warmonger team, but beware of my heretical views.
Old October 2, 2003, 09:52   #19
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

What do PP and PUP mean?
Old October 2, 2003, 11:27   #20
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

I think I can answer that:

PP = "Perfect Peacenick"
PUP = "Pragmatic Ultimate Power" (which, IMO, is sort of an oxymoron. MS does quite well playing the way he does, but the whole point of Ultimate Power is, well, to have Ultimate power - shooting for the moon. Not pragmatism. But that's just semantics).

Given that CoD is playing as the English, and the game itself was set up to be lighthearted, I think we can safely say that we're playing pretty peacefully. I can't speak for the other teams, of course.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old October 2, 2003, 11:35   #21
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Thanks.

I would imagine that Team Sunshine are the perfect example of a PP team, no? Perhaps Mountain Sage would be happiest playing with them.
Old October 2, 2003, 11:36   #22
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 04:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Ecthelion
I think I'd rather find another team :/
I`m sure you`ve already heard of a monkey....?

--Kon--
Old October 2, 2003, 11:46   #23
Arrian
Deity

FP is right, of course, SunShine is the PP team.

BUT I'M TRYING TO RECRUIT FOR US!!!

Our problem may be the relative obscurity of Eddie.

-Arrian

Old October 2, 2003, 11:54   #24
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

You may have a point there, but we've got no shortage of people signed up to the team. A lack of motivated members is our problem more than a lack of people who like Eddie's comedy.
Old October 2, 2003, 12:09   #25
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 03:39
The hot stud lady-killers of Team Latin Lover is open for recruits too. However, our forum is in spanish and we have a pretty active forum so you guys are best with other teams I guess. However, the invitation is always open.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old October 3, 2003, 07:14   #26
Mountain Sage
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
I think I can answer that:

PP = "Perfect Peacenick"
PUP = "Pragmatic Ultimate Power" (which, IMO, is sort of an oxymoron. MS does quite well playing the way he does, but the whole point of Ultimate Power is, well, to have Ultimate power - shooting for the moon. Not pragmatism. But that's just semantics).

-Arrian

It's not just semantics. Please read your classics again:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=85124

And let me know which team still wants me in
Old October 3, 2003, 07:48   #27
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Sage
And let me know which team still wants me in
Legoland does Oops, we are in the PtWDG I not II. Am I still alowed to advertise us here?

As you can see from our theme, we are the builders' team. You can call us a PP team, but in this case it would mean "Pragmatic Peacenick"

We are going to win with a spaceship launch
--Woody Allen
Old October 3, 2003, 08:33   #28
Arrian
Deity

I wonder, Tiberius, if that game will end with the "barbarian" nations of Bob and Stormia desperately trying to invade Legoland to stop the launch. Now that would be funny.

-Arrian

Old October 3, 2003, 09:30   #29
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

It would, indeed.
--Woody Allen
Old October 3, 2003, 09:34   #30
Beta
lifer
Deity

MS - Team Monkey in the PTWDG2 would welcome you on our team. You would have H_E, Kon, and myself to guide you - but trust me - it ain't difficult.

The toughest thing will be choosing a simian species for yourself.

And Vox Controli in the PTWDG would welcome you as well, but as I stated earlier, we are more or less spectators at this point during our re-building phase. The cost of a lost war.