View Poll Results: Do you think the pace of play is too slow?
No - fine by me. 1 3.13%
No - given the events in the game. 18 56.25%
Yes - even with the events in the game. 11 34.38%
I'm completely indifferent. 2 6.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 1, 2003, 18:31   #1
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Local Time: 05:41
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Pace of Play
Ok - I don't mean to complain - well actually - yes I do.

I appreciate that war is a complex buisness - Vox having been there themselves - and yes - maybe if we spent a bit more time discussing and analyzing our moves, we may have done somewhat better. But, every turn did not take 24 hours PER TEAM, as is now the rule.

Is anyone else bothered by the pace of play? If not, I'll be quiet and go back to my research on how to get water out of a mountain.

But if yes, maybe it is something we should discuss.

Not being in the know, there may be earth-shattering events going on that take this long to contemplate. And one or two turns I can understand. But it has been moving at this very slow pace for awhile now.

(I acknowledge that the ISDG and strategy forums seem to have benefitted by the slow pace here, and an increase in interest there. )
Old October 1, 2003, 18:35   #2
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

I vote, yes.
Old October 1, 2003, 18:42   #3
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 04:41
I'm unsure how to vote in this poll. Am I okay with the time it takes for each individual turn? Yes, actually, as I'm busier in RL and this means less time spent each week debating plans. However, if I consider how long it will take to finish the game at this rate... yes, I would like it if we could speed up.
Old October 1, 2003, 18:44   #4
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 02:41
I voted yes, but part of it is probably because we're Voxians with 3 minute long turns.
Old October 1, 2003, 19:13   #5
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

No, given what is currently taking place.

Part of the problem is indeed that the need to spend a lot more time on the ISDG for many of the major decision-makers is sapping their time from the PTWDG.

Part of the problem is that there's a war... and wars are messy business that involve a change in the situation every time you open the save file. That takes both time and it requires that you get the appropriate people together in chat to make those decisions together.

So yeah... the pace is about what one should expect, given what is currently taking place.
Old October 1, 2003, 19:14   #6
Hot_Enamel
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 20:41
With Galley landings, 3 movement Riders, Huge SOD's, Settlers disguised as workers, and a 2 vs 2 war, each turn has such a variety of changes that it is almost impossible to preplan.

Any new developmenets must be shared with military allies, and a combined response discussed & planned.

These things take time.

I vote no - given the events in the game.

Once GS gives up their futile world domination plans and returns home, the turns will speed up again.
Old October 1, 2003, 19:21   #7
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 02:41
The turns are moving too fast for me!
Old October 1, 2003, 19:25   #8
Aidun
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's UnionC4BtSDG TemplarsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 11:41
Re: Pace of Play
Quote:
Originally posted by Beta

Is anyone else bothered by the pace of play? If not, I'll be quiet and go back to my research on how to get water out of a mountain.
Hit the mountain with a staf and pray to the almighty God that it splites and water flows out of it. Moses tried it about 3000 years ago and according to the bible it worked.

And if it doesn't appear the first time, keep trying and show faith

Aidun
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise can not see all ends." - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring.
Term 9 and 10 Domestic Minister of the C3DG I., Term 8 Regional Governor of Old Persia in the C3DG and proud citizen of Apolyton. Royal Ambassador to Legoland in the C3 PTW DG, Foreign Affairs Minister and King of the United Kingdom in the MZO C3CDG and leader of the Monarchist Imperialist team. Moody Sir Aidun (The Impatient) of the Holy Templar Order in the C4BtSDG
Old October 1, 2003, 19:33   #9
Beta
lifer
Deity

Re: Re: Pace of Play
Quote:
Originally posted by Aidun

Hit the mountain with a staf and pray to the almighty God that it splites and water flows out of it. Moses tried it about 3000 years ago and according to the bible it worked.

And if it doesn't appear the first time, keep trying and show faith

Aidun
Thank you. This sound scientific advice is appreciated and is being passed on to the engineers working on the problem right now.

If we have problems, we will let you know.
Old October 1, 2003, 20:21   #10
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

I try to keep within 24 hr rules(we actually suceeded the last 2 turns), but every turn requires analysis and discussion after you see the enemy moves. To get input on this requires all to see save and get feedback and then response to feedback. So considering all this it is understandable. Once we win, things will go faster.
Aggie
Old October 1, 2003, 20:22   #11
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I voted yes. The last GS turn was pretty much my fault... I insisted on a late schedule due to RL, then ended up having to play the turn myself, which was the first time for me in any of the 'major' DGs, and it took me a while.

Won't happen again, sorry.

That said, while major issues are unfolding, a little flexibility is appropriate.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old October 2, 2003, 08:23   #12
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Hot_Enamel
Once GS gives up their futile world domination plans and returns home, the turns will speed up again.
Hey, you guys started this party
Old October 2, 2003, 13:23   #13
Zayxus
PtWDG Neu Demogyptica
Warlord

Local Time: 10:41
It was not funny at a two day weekend with much free time, when the save did not come, and on Monday early morning it did arrive after almost two days, when I had no time.
Old October 2, 2003, 13:53   #14
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 10:41
I have to admit that the current pace is fine with me, especially considering the current events. It's true that it is going to take quite some time to finish the game at this pace, but then... is this something to "get done" or something to "have fun with"? I strongly believe forcing the fighting teams to play faster would be taking the fun and participation out of the game for them.

At least, PtWDG has become more of a "leisure activity" for me, rather than a "second job" as it was the case some time ago.

That said, the Lego turn will be played very shortly - sorry for the delay this time. I was away for most of today - and as there were minor changes we needed to briefly discuss, the turn was not played earlier, when our US players could have played it.
Old October 2, 2003, 21:24   #15
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Zayxus, if you are referring to GS, again, my sincere apology.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old October 3, 2003, 00:34   #16
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 03:41
Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel

Hey, you guys started this party
party would've been long over till you lot decided to crash it

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old October 3, 2003, 00:39   #17
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Master Zen

party would've been long over till you lot decided to crash it

I can't deny that!

Not only was RP not destroyed, thus slowing the game way down, GS has been abysmal lately in moving the save. A double whammy.
Old October 3, 2003, 08:51   #18
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Nathan's resignation, and then NYE's recent absense, hit us hard, and we've been kind of scrambling to get things done. This is partly my fault too. I've asked Lego to pass the save to me as well now, so I can help out more than I have in the past.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old October 8, 2003, 00:05   #19
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 11:41
Nicely said Vondrack, as usual : b: :-)

I even think that the fast pace of this game has led to severall people dropping out, the moment you can't follow day to day evolutions/operations, you somewhat start to loose interest, especially if you can't (find the time to) contribute anything of interest.
Old October 17, 2003, 10:37   #20
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 21:41
Huh? PtWDG? Is that still going?

I promise I will contribute more, even if just a little, at the expense of the ISDG, in November. Until then I would prefer things slow to a crawl.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old October 17, 2003, 11:14   #21
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
Huh? PtWDG? Is that still going?

I promise I will contribute more, even if just a little, at the expense of the ISDG, in November. Until then I would prefer things slow to a crawl.
Don't worry, MrWIA. YOU wont need to be concerned with contributing once I run your heart through.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old October 17, 2003, 16:47   #22
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
Don't worry, MrWIA. YOU wont need to be concerned with contributing once I run your heart through.
You've got to locate the little terrorist first. Look at all the trouble the US is having trying to corner Saddam and Yomamma Bin Laden.