Old October 1, 2003, 18:46   #1
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 02:41
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I'm having a good time.
At first I didn't think today was going to be a good day. You see I'm 27, unemployed, and I have just suffered the ignominy of having to move back in with my parents. Well, I suppose I didn't have to but being a cheap bastard I found the idea of free rent to be much preferable to paying rent and my mother is quite ill so she can't be left home alone.

I thought I could help out a bit and assist my mother when she needs it, however, my father said he wanted a professional there and so hired an in home assistant to help my mother while he was at work. At first I was sort of insulted; I felt like he didn't think I was up to the job or something but now I am in 100% agreement. I mean he may very well think I'm not up to the job but I agree that it is much nicer for me if somebody else does it.

In any event Aurora is a very nice phillipino lady who helps my mother to walk around, sees she takes her medication on time, does physical therapy with her, and even does light house work when she has nothing better to do. She really is great and she's a huge help since my father is a lazy traditional male slob who relied upon my mother to do all of the housework. I tried to help cleaning up the place when my mother fell ill but I'm afraid my father never really liked the way I did any thing. He'd ***** and complain about how I loaded the dishwasher or even if I vacuumed. I suspect it's just the stress were all going through knowing my mother is dyeing of cancer but still its hard to be nit picked and not blow up at someone.

Any way, now I have nothing to do but look for a job so I can once again regain my dignity. Aurora is great in that she helps my mom, does laundry, and helps with light housework. This way it gets done and I don't have to listen to my father ***** about how I've done it wrong. I truly wonder why we didn't just hire someone before.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.

Last edited by Oerdin; October 1, 2003 at 19:09.
Old October 1, 2003, 18:55   #2
Oerdin
Deity

In other news I went to a job fair today where there was almost no one who was actually offering a job. Mostly it was just colleges who were offering continuing education in order to get a job or temp agencies that were offering $8 per hour temp jobs. Personally, I feel I already have enough education and I sure as hell am not going to work any menial job for $8 per hour so maybe MtG had a point in the illegal aliens thread.

I did see the border patrol offering to hire people and I must say the job doesn’t look to bad. Starting pay of $45k, average of $55k after 18 months and an average of $68k after 2.5 years. Plus you get over time if you work over 40 hours and you get shift differentials if you work nights or weekends. Still, they tell you where you work so you could end up in BFE. I know and love San Diego and after living in other cities for the past 5 years I know this is where I want to stay.

So any ways I now have nothing to do. I have no job, I'm 27 and I'm going to be moving back in with my parents, , and I'm apparently good for nothing. I at least am debt free and as soon as I get a decent job I'm going to move into a town house with a friend of mine in Little Italy but until then I've got nothing to do but sit here and drink. Right now I'm just opening my third bottle of Chimay Grande Reserve; I must hand it to those Belgian Abbots they might not know the first thing about a girl but they can make a damn fine beer.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old October 1, 2003, 18:56   #3
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Local Time: 04:41
Best of luck, always.
Old October 1, 2003, 19:20   #4
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 09:41
Good luck, buddy.

(Is Aurora hot?)
Old October 1, 2003, 19:30   #5
Oerdin
Deity

No, she's in her 50's. Thanks any way though.
Old October 2, 2003, 00:01   #6
pchang
King

Local Time: 09:41
Oil Companies
Oil companies need geologists right?
Are they hiring?
Would you be willing to work for them?
City jobs? Don't they need people to do environmental impact reports on things like underground tanks and such?

If social security were private, it would be prosecuted as a Ponzi scheme.
Old October 2, 2003, 00:09   #7
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 03:41
Texas (in the US) and Alberta (in Canada) would be good places to look for a job as a geologist, they're in fairly large demand, especially here.

Though I don't know how much Texas or Canada appeals to you, and don't blame you.
Old October 2, 2003, 01:02   #8
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 11:41
Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
No, she's in her 50's. Thanks any way though.
ahh, just give it a few month more, you might change you're mind.
Pfff after a while, standards drop

-
Hope your mother doesn't suffer too much, at least less then a few in my family have....
Old October 2, 2003, 04:20   #9
Oerdin
Deity

Re: Oil Companies
Quote:
Originally posted by pchang
Oil companies need geologists right?
Are they hiring?
Would you be willing to work for them?
City jobs? Don't they need people to do environmental impact reports on things like underground tanks and such?
Yeah oil companies hire lots of Geologists and I've applied to just about all of the majors. The main problem is they want people with Master's or PHDs so maybe I ought to go to grad school.

I looked at the city's web site and there's nothing for Geologists but they were hreing fire men for around $45k. You have to go to a fire acedemy and I'm not sure what that intails but it might be a good idea.
Old October 2, 2003, 04:31   #10
MikeH
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-League
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 10:41
Good luck! One of the guys in our band is in a similar position, going to have to move back with his parents if he doesn't find a job this much. It sucks.

We've got both kinds
Old October 2, 2003, 05:45   #11
duke o' york
Civilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 10:41
Do the border patrol just shoot Mexicans all day then?

Good luck finding a job though. I can't understand your father's attitude. If he'd already shown you how things hsould be done then maybe he'd have a right to ***** about housework, but just sitting around all evening and expecting things to be done for him does not give him the right. If he doesn't like the way things are done then he can either do them himself or shut up.