Old October 1, 2003, 19:13   #1
Tuberski

Local Time: 04:41
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quarterback versus the Pass "Rush"
McNabb: Too late for an apology from Limbaugh

By ROB MAADDI, AP Sports Writer
October 1, 2003
PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Donovan McNabb doesn't mind criticism of his performance. He's upset that Rush Limbaugh made his race an issue.

And the Philadelphia Eagles' quarterback says it's too late for an apology from the talk show host, who said the media has overrated McNabb because they want to see a black quarterback succeed.

``It's somewhat shocking to hear that on national TV from him,'' McNabb said Wednesday. ``It's not something that I can sit here and say won't bother me.''

Limbaugh insisted Wednesday he had ``no racist intent whatsoever.'' In fact, the conservative commentator said he must have been right; otherwise, the comments would not have sparked such outrage.

Before McNabb led the Eagles to a 23-13 victory over the Buffalo Bills on Sunday, Limbaugh said on ESPN's pregame show that he didn't think McNabb was as good as perceived from the start.

think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well,'' Limbaugh said on ``Sunday NFL Countdown.'' ``There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team.''

Limbaugh did not back down during his syndicated radio talk show Wednesday.

``All this has become the tempest that it is because I must have been right about something,'' Limbaugh said. ``If I wasn't right, there wouldn't be this cacophony of outrage that has sprung up in the sports writer community.''

The NFL disclaimed any responsibility.

``ESPN knew what it was getting when they hired Rush Limbaugh,'' league vice president Joe Browne said. ``ESPN selects its on-air talent, not the NFL.''

Chris Berman, who anchors the ESPN show, said he did not believe Limbaugh's tone or intent was malicious.

``As cut and dry as it seems in print, I didn't think so when it went by my ears,'' he said. ``I probably should have looked to soften it. We're sorry we upset a guy who got off to a rough start. We don't need to be in the middle of his travails.''

McNabb said someone on the show should have taken on Limbaugh. Among the other panelists are former players Michael Irvin and Tom Jackson, both of whom are black.

``I'm not pointing at anyone but someone should have said it,'' McNabb said of the panelists, who also include former quarterback Steve Young. ``I wouldn't have cared if it was the cameraman.''

Limbaugh was scheduled to be in Philadelphia on Thursday to speak at a broadcast convention. McNabb said he wouldn't be welcome at Eagles' practice.

"I really don't want to see him,'' McNabb said. "You can say you're sorry all you want, it doesn't matter. It's been said.''

The extent of the controversy became more evident when Democratic presidential candidate Wesley Clark urged ESPN to fire Limbaugh. Clark, a retired Army general who entered the race Sept. 17, called the remarks "hateful and ignorant speech.''

The NAACP also condemned Limbaugh's remarks, calling them "bigoted and ignorant,'' and called for the network to fire Limbaugh or at least provide an opposing point of view on the show.

"It is appalling that ESPN has to go to this extent to try to increase viewership,'' NAACP President Kweisi Mfume said in a statement.

McNabb, who was runner-up for the league MVP award in 2000 and has led the Eagles to two straight NFC championship games, said he has no quarrel with Limbaugh's comment on his ability.

"I know I played badly the first two games,'' he said.

McNabb got off to the worst start of his career this season and was the NFL's lowest-rated starting quarterback after losses to Tampa Bay and New England. Still, the Eagles are 36-22 in games he has started, including 4-3 in the playoffs.

Limbaugh on Wednesday reiterated that he doesn't think McNabb is a bad player, just that he isn't as good as some media members think he is.

"This is such a mountain out of a molehill,'' he said. "There's no racism here, there's no racist intent whatsoever.''

Seven black quarterbacks started games last weekend. Two other blacks who regularly start, Daunte Culpepper of Minnesota and Michael Vick of Atlanta, were out with injuries.

Asked about Limbaugh's comments, Eagles defensive end N.D. Kalu said: ``He speaks well, he's well-read, but he's an idiot.''

Limbaugh is the radio host of the politically focused ``Rush Limbaugh Show,'' which is syndicated in more than 650 markets worldwide.

He spent most of the 1990s assailing then-President Clinton and now spends Sunday mornings talking football, a job he called ``the fulfillment of a dream.''

Limbaugh has helped increase the ratings for ``Sunday NFL Countdown.'' ESPN spokesman Dave Nagle said ratings are up 10 percent overall. Sunday's show drew its biggest audience in the regular season since 1996.

I, personally, think that Rush was right up to the point where he said McNabb didn't carry the team.

He didn't carry the entire team, but he sure as hell carried the offense.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old October 1, 2003, 21:44   #2
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 05:41
Quote:
``He speaks well, he's well-read, but he's an idiot.''
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old October 1, 2003, 22:27   #3
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

I'm tired of hearing racist and bigot being thrown around whenever something is said about a person who isn't white.
Old October 1, 2003, 22:33   #4
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Quote:
Originally posted by Verto
I'm tired of hearing racist and bigot being thrown around whenever something is said about a person who isn't white.
Question his ability as a player sure, but Rush could have easily said "The media made him out to be a better player than he really is, they wanted to see him succeed. We've now seen his true playing ability."

I don't see anything there that could be interpreted as racism unless the **** Limbaugh spewed on ESPN
Old October 1, 2003, 22:35   #5
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Quote:
Originally posted by H Tower

Question his ability as a player sure, but Rush could have easily said "The media made him out to be a better player than he really is, they wanted to see him succeed. We've now seen his true playing ability."

I don't see anything there that could be interpreted as racism unless the **** Limbaugh spewed on ESPN
IMO, what Limbaugh said was not racist.

We use the term so often, it has lost all true meaning.
Old October 1, 2003, 22:54   #6
Theben
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Verto

IMO, what Limbaugh said was not racist.

We use the term so often, it has lost all true meaning.
Nah. Look up "Racist" and "bigot" in the dictionary, and you'll find a picture of Rush.
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old October 1, 2003, 23:07   #7
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Rush can be a jackass.

He once called my mother a feminazi.

I like the rest of his family, other than his brother David, who rides his bro's conservative coattails.
Old October 1, 2003, 23:28   #8
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

What Rush said was racist. Not extremely racist, nor was it very racist, but it was still offensively racist. What a schmuck.
Albert Speer
Old October 1, 2003, 23:30   #9
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Theben

Nah. Look up "Racist" and "bigot" in the dictionary, and you'll find a picture of Rush.
Oh, wake up.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old October 1, 2003, 23:34   #10
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 21:41
Yeah... Rush is a jackass...

What else is new?
Old October 1, 2003, 23:35   #11
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

No, what Rush said was not racist in any way. Did he even imply that blacks aren't as good as whites at QB? Nope. He just said the media has hyped McNabb, because they want a popular black QB. Stupid, yeah... racist, no.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old October 1, 2003, 23:56   #12
Theben
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
No, what Rush said was not racist in any way. Did he even imply that blacks aren't as good as whites at QB? Nope. He just said the media has hyped McNabb, because they want a popular black QB. Stupid, yeah... racist, no.
There was no reason to mention race. And considering it was Rush who said it, proving there wasn't a racial bias intended is difficult at best.
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old October 1, 2003, 23:59   #13
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
There was no reason to mention race.
He was trying to explain why McNabb is overrated. He came up with race.

Quote:
And considering it was Rush who said it, proving there wasn't a racial bias intended is difficult at best.
I haven't seen any proof that he is racist... other than people continuing to say it and hoping it'll stick .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old October 2, 2003, 00:01   #14
Theben
Deity

InuYasha on now...me go bye-bye for 30 min.
Old October 2, 2003, 00:12   #15
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Damn... Rush just resigned from ESPN NFL Countdown. He was actually fun on that show..
Old October 2, 2003, 00:22   #16
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Imran

I can't say Rush is wrong in his assessment, I just haven't paid enough attention to the sports media the past few years to know if McNabb was being hyped. He seemed like one of the top 5-6 QB's in the NFL and I can't say the media has portrayed him otherwise.

But this comment is classic Rush:

Quote:
`All this has become the tempest that it is because I must have been right about something,'' Limbaugh said. ``If I wasn't right, there wouldn't be this cacophony of outrage that has sprung up in the sports writer community.''
Great logic there Rush. If Rush angers people, it must be because he's right. Nice coat of armor for whatever he says.

News Flash: Limbaugh has resigned

Too bad, I didn't even know he was hired and was looking forward to watching. But that's Rush, he just had to interject politics into it...

Btw, why is McNabb bothered more by Rush's comment about certain people in the sports media than about his ability? It ain't his fault if some media people hype him because of his skin color, and if Rush is wrong, so what?
Old October 2, 2003, 00:27   #17
Berzerker
Emperor

monolith -
Quote:
What Rush said was racist. Not extremely racist, nor was it very racist, but it was still offensively racist. What a schmuck.
How so? His comment was about white media people!!!

There's the irony of this episode - Rush is accused of racism when he was effectively accusing certain people in the sports media of...well...RACISM!
Old October 2, 2003, 00:29   #18
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Rush has resigned from ESPN.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old October 2, 2003, 00:29   #19
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
News Flash: Limbaugh has resigned

Too bad, I didn't even know he was hired and was looking forward to watching. But that's Rush, he just had to interject politics into it...
Well, I'm of the opinion that ESPN pushed him to say something controversial. The first two week he wasn't controversial enough, but he still gave ESPN NFL Countdown a 10% increase in ratings. I think ESPN put some pressure to try to get a bigger boost in the ratings.
Old October 2, 2003, 00:42   #20
Theben
Deity

You could also guess that Rush knew what the response would be. He hasn't exactly been a brilliant commentator, and now he gets to leave after doing his sport person stint, controversy in hand, as opposed to leaving b/c of lack of ability. He looks like even more of a moron to regular folks, but he never cared about them anyway. To his cult following, it can only make him look better, as the "liberal media" and "blacks" have conspired against him to force him to resign.
Old October 2, 2003, 00:54   #21
Berzerker
Emperor

It sure wasn't his fans, so I'd say it was the Democrats and liberals.
Old October 2, 2003, 00:56   #22
Berzerker
Emperor

I've lost some respect for McNabb and Wesley Clark
Old October 2, 2003, 00:59   #23
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Though I think the underlying point of Rush's statement, that the media overhypes McNabb is totally correct. His explination of why that happens is probably wrong.
Old October 2, 2003, 01:00   #24
Theben
Deity

Rush hasn't exactly gone out of his way to mend fences with the black community.
Old October 2, 2003, 01:04   #25
Theben
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Though I think the underlying point of Rush's statement, that the media overhypes McNabb is totally correct. His explination of why that happens is probably wrong.
Then he should have said, "The media is overhyping McNabb," or "McNabb isn't performing as well as he used to." Instead he said what he said, which comes across as, "The media hypes him because he is black."

Which he might still have gotten away with if he 1)had proof, and 2)wasn't Rush Limbaugh.
Old October 2, 2003, 01:08   #26
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Instead he said what he said, which comes across as, "The media hypes him because he is black."
Which may be true... Hell, it's just a sports commentators opinions. They make leaps of logic all the time (just read Jason Stark) .

Funny thing is Dusty Baker made a comment that was actually racist and the thing blew over in a day or so. Just interesting is all .
Old October 2, 2003, 01:11   #27
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Theben
You could also guess that Rush knew what the response would be. He hasn't exactly been a brilliant commentator, and now he gets to leave after doing his sport person stint, controversy in hand, as opposed to leaving b/c of lack of ability. He looks like even more of a moron to regular folks, but he never cared about them anyway. To his cult following, it can only make him look better, as the "liberal media" and "blacks" have conspired against him to force him to resign.
Oh right. The man is on over 600 stations, has money coming out of his ass and has more to talk about than he can cover in three hours a day with elections around the corner, so he decides to sacrifice his dream of bieng an NFL commentator (which he has spoken of for years upon years, and applied for for years upon years) in order to eke out a few more ratings points.

Yeah, that makes sense.

The man goofed. No more, no less.
Old October 2, 2003, 01:24   #28
Kirnwaffen
Warlord

Local Time: 03:41
If you really want to get cynical, you could say that McNabb is just pissed about Rush's comments about his playing ability, but shifted focus to his other comment because he knew he could get people riled up about it.

Honestly, there are so many ways to look at this whole thing. Personally, I don't think it's a big deal. Somebody accused the media of touting someone because they were black. Boo ****ing hoo.
Old October 2, 2003, 01:52   #29
Berzerker
Emperor

Quote:
If you really want to get cynical, you could say that McNabb is just pissed about Rush's comments about his playing ability, but shifted focus to his other comment because he knew he could get people riled up about it.
I'm cynical enough for that.
Old October 2, 2003, 01:54   #30
Imran Siddiqui
staff

On another thread someone made a great point... people were outraged when others boycotted the Dixie Chicks for making their anti-President comments, because of freedom of speech. Some of these same people asked ABC to fire Rush. Ironic, no? Or does first amendment not extend to race issues?

Another interesting thing is if you see the actual clip of the show, Rush was talking to Tom Jackson, a black man, and he didn't show that he was offended at all. In fact he nodded when Rush said the media was trying to promote black QBs and coaches.

Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; October 2, 2003 at 02:01.