Old October 2, 2003, 03:00   #31
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 05:41
Local Date: November 2, 2010
"How so?"

Just look at the guy, you can tell from his haircut that he's a schmuck. And a putz, too.
Albert Speer
Old October 2, 2003, 03:48   #32
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Tom Jackson kicks ass.

Well, sort of...
Old October 2, 2003, 07:09   #33
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 17:41
Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Another interesting thing is if you see the actual clip of the show, Rush was talking to Tom Jackson, a black man, and he didn't show that he was offended at all. In fact he nodded when Rush said the media was trying to promote black QBs and coaches.
That doesn't necesarily mean anything. Experienced journalists will always nod their heads during an interview or discussion. It's basic body language designed to keep the other person talking.
Old October 2, 2003, 07:20   #34
Tingkai
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
On another thread someone made a great point... people were outraged when others boycotted the Dixie Chicks for making their anti-President comments, because of freedom of speech. Some of these same people asked ABC to fire Rush. Ironic, no?
No.

There's a big difference between saying "I don't like this guy" (a true statement) and "The only reason he got the job is because he is black and there is a secret conspiracy to make black QBs look good and to give them more credit then they deserve."

Limburgh's comments were racist. Instead of judging McNabb on his ability (of lack of it), Limburgh said black quarterbacks don't deserve the credit that they receive.
Old October 2, 2003, 07:21   #35
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:41
Tingkai, if Rush's comments were so "racist", I'd think his comments made to the face of a black man would garner some negative reaction, not nods of agreement even if the nods are just facilitators of continued discussion.

Geez you guys, Rush made 2 points:

1) McNabb isn't as good as portrayed in the sports media
2) Some in the sports media have hyped him because they wanted a black QB to succeed.

Other than the possible racism of those in the sports media who are guilty (if Rush is right), where is this "racism"?
Old October 2, 2003, 07:34   #36
Berzerker
Emperor

Quote:
There's a big difference between saying "I don't like this guy" (a true statement)
Limbaugh doesn't like him?

Quote:
and "The only reason he got the job is because he is black and there is a secret conspiracy to make black QBs look good and to give them more credit then they deserve."
Limbaugh said McNabb didn't deserve the job of QB? No, he said McNabb is a good QB but that he was hyped beyond his value to the team and that the defense (which has quite a few blacks on it ) was the strength of the team.

Quote:
Limbaugh's comments were racist. Instead of judging McNabb on his ability (of lack of it), Limburgh said black quarterbacks don't deserve the credit that they receive.
He did judge him on his ability and he didn't say black QB's get credit they don't deserve, he said McNabb gets credit he doesn't deserve.

If a black boxing analyst pointed out how almost every new white boxer who shows some promise gets hyped because he's white and there are so few really good white heavyweights, would that be racist? Of course not...
Old October 2, 2003, 07:58   #37
duke o' york
Civilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 10:41
Who would be so dumb as to hire Rush Limbaugh as a "colour commentator"?

Er, anyone happen to know when Culpepper's going to be back?
Old October 2, 2003, 10:28   #38
Tingkai
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Berzerker
Limbaugh doesn't like him?
The bit about not liking someone was a reference to the Dixie Chicks' comments mentioned by Imran. Try to follow the plot Bezerker
Quote:
Limbaugh said McNabb didn't deserve the job of QB? No, he said McNabb is a good QB but that he was hyped beyond his value to the team and that the defense (which has quite a few blacks on it ) was the strength of the team.
He did judge him on his ability and he didn't say black QB's get credit they don't deserve, he said McNabb gets credit he doesn't deserve.

According to Limbaugh, the media have a conspiracy to promote Black QBs, McNabb is a Black QB , therefore McNabb is over-rated. That's not a true judgement of McNabb's ability.

Limbaugh looked at McNabb and saw a black Quarterback, not an individual athlete. Limbaugh did not look at McNabb's stats or those non-measurable individual abilities. Limbaugh cast judgement on the basis of McNabb's skin colour.

This is not a judgement of McNabb's ability. This is a racist attack against a black QB.
Old October 2, 2003, 10:50   #39
Jac de Molay
Prince

Local Time: 09:41
Quote:
2) Some in the sports media have hyped him because they wanted a black QB to succeed.

Other than the possible racism of those in the sports media who are guilty (if Rush is right), where is this "racism"?
Yeah, I agree with this one. I don't think it's any more racist than the same football commentators who lament the lack of black coaches in the NFL, or wonder why coaches like Art Shell or Ray Rhodes being fired is part of some conspiracy by " The Man".

It sounds like two separate comments and doesn't disparage Macnabb directly.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old October 2, 2003, 10:51   #40
Giant_Squid
Emperor

'Tis interesting that Rush did not particularly attack any black people per se, but because he was attacking the *system* of pointing out race, and since that system is often associated with people who oppose racism, his comment was automatically construed as racist.

On the other hand, I can't feel sorry for him. If people suspect you're a Neo-Nazi, you stay away from making any comments that are derogatory and involve Jews. If people suspect you're racist, as basically everyone suspects Limbaugh is, you stay away from comments that are derogatory and involve blacks, even if a logical person can eventually figure out it's not racist.

And the REAL disturbing part about this incident: that football commentary is an important enough political issue to have the leading (?) Democratic candidate make a statement on it.
Old October 2, 2003, 11:13   #41
Sloth
Warlord

Local Time: 10:41
I can't understand you guys. I make a very funny thread about Warner's wife and her desire to trade her husband...and I get ZERo answers. And now you want to discuss at lenght this "he said, he said" thing about some unknown (to me) commenting why McNabb is overrated..who cares!!!

j/k of course
Old October 2, 2003, 11:20   #42
Theben
Deity

"Another interesting thing is if you see the actual clip of the show, Rush was talking to Tom Jackson, a black man, and he didn't show that he was offended at all. In fact he nodded when Rush said the media was trying to promote black QBs and coaches."

Tom Jackson's a professional. He won't say anything while the cameras are rolling. It doesn't mean he didn't want to.
Bet he wound up sleeping on the couch that night, though.

"Geez you guys, Rush made 2 points:

2) Some in the sports media have hyped him because they wanted a black QB to succeed."

That's possible, but Rush didn't offer anything as evidence. And considering it's Rush, he had a burden of proof, b/c:

1)Rush attacks the "liberal media" a lot in his diatribes;
2)He also attacks minorities a lot.

"On the other hand, I can't feel sorry for him. If people suspect you're a Neo-Nazi, you stay away from making any comments that are derogatory and involve Jews. If people suspect you're racist, as basically everyone suspects Limbaugh is, you stay away from comments that are derogatory and involve blacks, even if a logical person can eventually figure out it's not racist."

What I've tried to say, only written more clearly.
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old October 2, 2003, 11:22   #43
Theben
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Sloth
I can't understand you guys. I make a very funny thread about Warner's wife and her desire to trade her husband...and I get ZERo answers.
I'm sure it was VERY clever.
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old October 2, 2003, 11:51   #44
Japher
Emperor

Several points of mine.

1. If a famous black guy said "Strahan is an overrated CB, people just want to see a white guy be good at defending the ball", we wouldn't have a thread on it.
2. What this black guy would say is bigotted and doesn't need to be said, but is true.
3. How what Rush said is being interpretted in biggoted fashion and desn't need to blown out of proportion. Unless your a biggoted racist...
4. Rush did not say that he doesn't think McNabb is bad because he is black, he said he is overrated and because he is balck was given many more chances than he deserves by certain people in the NFL. If anything he called these "certain people" in the NFL bigots and racist.
Old October 2, 2003, 12:35   #45
Tingkai
Prince

Have you guys never heard of Warren Moon? Clearly Limbaugh hasn't. I guarantee that sports writers have.

So exactly why would any sports writer feel a need to promote black QB when there has already been a great one?

Limbaugh was playing the race card, trying to suggest that black QB get it easy when there's no proof and no reason for that to happen.
Old October 2, 2003, 15:44   #46
Ned
King

Local Time: 01:41
Two points:

1) The attack on Rush and demands that he resign came primarily from the liberal politicians that Rush attacks daily on his show. So this really is a effort to squelch political speech. Those debating this issue should focus on who is saying what and why.

2) The controversy and the firing of Rush ensures that PC will prevail permanently in sports broadcasting in the US. This has got to be bad for sports and for the US.
Old October 2, 2003, 16:16   #47
Jac de Molay
Prince

Well, it looks like they got rid of him.

Maybe Herve Villechaize should give espn a call.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old October 2, 2003, 16:39   #48
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Quote:
I've lost some respect for McNabb and Wesley Clark
Yeh, Clark is blathering on about any and all subjects now. What makes him an expert on this stuff?
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old October 2, 2003, 17:11   #49
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
That doesn't necesarily mean anything. Experienced journalists will always nod their heads during an interview or discussion. It's basic body language designed to keep the other person talking.
No, it does mean something. These weren't spur of the moment comments. Chris Berman has stated that Rush read his statement before they actually went on the air and no one said it was insensitive. The "Rush Challenge" is a planned segment, not a random thing.

Quote:
Limburgh's comments were racist. Instead of judging McNabb on his ability (of lack of it), Limburgh said black quarterbacks don't deserve the credit that they receive.
Bull. Limbaugh didn't say anything about black QBs in general. In fact, he likes McNair who happens to be a black QB. He said that McNabb is an overrated QB, who tends not to get critisized for his shortcomings because the media wants a black QB to succeed. That isn't a racist statement. He never said black QBs are worse, but that McNabb, as a black QBs, doesn't get critisized as much as he perhaps should be because the media doesn't want to bring black QBs down (a sort of Affirmative Action in the media).

Quote:
'Tis interesting that Rush did not particularly attack any black people per se, but because he was attacking the *system* of pointing out race, and since that system is often associated with people who oppose racism, his comment was automatically construed as racist.
I agree totally.

Quote:
If a famous black guy said "Strahan is an overrated CB, people just want to see a white guy be good at defending the ball", we wouldn't have a thread on it.
Yep, but you mean Sehorn... this is especially gaulling considering Sehorn's nickname is 'The Great White Hope'!!! Many, many, many people have made the comment that Sehorn is overhyped because he IS a white CB. Limbaugh turned it around and used it on McNabb, but he's taken over the coals. Funny thing, this idea of 'equality' we have

Quote:
So exactly why would any sports writer feel a need to promote black QB when there has already been a great one?
Because Moon could well be the exception. I don't think Limbaugh is totally 100% wrong. I start to look at how extraordinarily hyped black QBs such as Kordell Stewart have been and wonder if Limbaugh has a point. Funny thing is if Limbaugh said the exact same thing he did about Stewart, he'd probably get away with it.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old October 2, 2003, 17:17   #50
Japher
Emperor

Quote:
Yep, but you mean Sehorn... this is especially gaulling considering Sehorn's nickname is 'The Great White Hope'!!! Many, many, many people have made the comment that Sehorn is overhyped because he IS a white CB.
I had a brainfart... thanks for the correction

Quote:
Because Moon could well be the exception. I don't think Limbaugh is totally 100% wrong. I start to look at how extraordinarily hyped black QBs such as Kordell Stewart have been and wonder if Limbaugh has a point. Funny thing is if Limbaugh said the exact same thing he did about Stewart, he'd probably get away with it.
Moon was average. He was good enough to play in the NFL, didn't get a lot of hype, and played well for a long time... Thus, no need to comment.

Yet, we ARE seeing more and more black quarterbacks entering the NFL as is the case that they are turning into a passing RB... Vick - overrated Stewart - was overrated, now... well we know, NcNair - probably well rated, I think he is pretty good, McNabb definitly overrated... Brooks - a lot worse than he could be.

I would be just as inclined to say that Gumble is the token black announcer. I mean, how the hell did that guy get the job? And then poor Denis Green needing to be interviewed for any job because of the NFLs "interview a black guy" clause. Perhaps there is an unwritten "law" about increasing black QB popularity...
Old October 2, 2003, 17:19   #51
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

I forgot about Brooks... DEFINETLY overrated!! They talk about him like he is amazing and he's not even average.

Oh, and also people tend to forget that later in the show Limbaugh also talked about Warner and Testaverde as overrated QBs (because they are nice guys). I think that shows his overall point was that the media sometimes overinflates QBs that they like, for whatever reason.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old October 2, 2003, 17:23   #52
Japher
Emperor

I think this shows that Clark, et. al. are actually overly concerned about being PC, and to me, that makes them the racists... No one threw a fit. No one that is, but a bunch of white yuppies.
Old October 2, 2003, 18:46   #53
Tuberski

Thanks guys, I didn't expect to see this thread on page 1, nobody seemed interested last night.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old October 3, 2003, 00:22   #54
Berzerker
Emperor

Tingkai -
Quote:
The bit about not liking someone was a reference to the Dixie Chicks' comments mentioned by Imran. Try to follow the plot Bezerker
Oops

This threw me off the plot:

Quote:
There's a big difference between saying "I don't like this guy" (a true statement) and "The only reason he got the job is because he is black and there is a secret conspiracy to make black QBs look good and to give them more credit then they deserve."
While Imran mentioned both the Dixie Chicks and Rush/McNabb, you didn't mention the former, just the latter.

Quote:
According to Limbaugh, the media have a conspiracy to promote Black QBs, McNabb is a Black QB , therefore McNabb is over-rated. That's not a true judgement of McNabb's ability.
He didn't call it a conspiracy, just that there is a sentiment among certain people in the sports media to see blacks succeed at positions like QB (and coach). I've heard plenty of people complain that blacks weren't given these positions because of a perceived lack of intelligence so why is it surprising some people want to see blacks succeed at these positions when given the opportunity and that this hope might translate into hyping black players?

Quote:
Limbaugh looked at McNabb and saw a black Quarterback, not an individual athlete.
He is a black QB.

Quote:
Limbaugh did not look at McNabb's stats or those non-measurable individual abilities. Limbaugh cast judgement on the basis of McNabb's skin colour.
Please follow the plot , Rush said McNabb was not as good as portrayed by certain media people. He didn't base his judgement of McNabb's ability on his skin color, he concluded some people in the media act differently toward him based on his skin color.

Quote:
This is not a judgement of McNabb's ability. This is a racist attack against a black QB.
Did Rush say McNabb sucks because he's black? No. Did he say McNabb sucks? No. What did he say? He said...or forget it...

Theben -
Quote:
That's possible, but Rush didn't offer anything as evidence. And considering it's Rush, he had a burden of proof, b/c:
He did offer evidence, he said the Philly "D" made up mostly of blacks deserves more credit and I tend to agree.

Imran -
Quote:
Yep, but you mean Sehorn... this is especially gaulling considering Sehorn's nickname is 'The Great White Hope'!!! Many, many, many people have made the comment that Sehorn is overhyped because he IS a white CB.
EXACTLY! When a white guy is in a position dominated by another race, hope springs eternal. When a black guy is in a position dominated by another race, the same phenomenon.
We have to remember Rush wasn't talking about today's black QB's, some of whom are reaching the pinnacle at that position.
He said "from the get go" meaning there was hope of a star QB in the making in McNabbs early career.
Old October 3, 2003, 01:20   #55
Berzerker
Emperor

The only thing Rush said about McNabb was that he's not as good as certain people claim, the rest of his comment was about the motives of the people. Think about it...
Old October 3, 2003, 01:34   #56
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 21:41
Berz speaks the truth.
Old October 3, 2003, 01:41   #57
Berzerker
Emperor

Even a blind chicken stumbles upon a kernel of corn occasionally.
Old October 3, 2003, 02:15   #58
Berzerker
Emperor

Now, Limbaugh did say something rather stupid at the talk radio convention today concerning his dismissal/resignation from ESPN. Paraphrasing: we have in this country a 1st Amendment preserving our freedom of speech to offer opinions but the reality is there are places and times when you can't offer your opinion.

Ahem...Rush... your freedom of speech doesn't mean ESPN must hire you or keep you employed to offer your opinions.
Freedom of speech doesn't mean other people can't criticise you. Now Rush, were you condemning the Dixie Chicks for what one of them said about Bush in London? Were you among those calling for a boycott of their music? Or were you defending their freedom of speech reminding your audience about our freedom to offer opinions when and where we want?
Old October 3, 2003, 02:26   #59
Tingkai
Prince

What Limbaugh did was play the race card which is a stupid thing to do when talking about pro sports these days.

With all the money involved in pro sports, the best players rise to the top, regardless of race.

Every team has cheerleaders disguised as sports writers. Players of all colours routinely get over hyped.

Race is a non-factor and only an idiot like Limbaugh would use race to criticise someone.
Old October 3, 2003, 03:08   #60
Sikander
King

Local Time: 02:41
Quote:
Originally posted by monolith94
"How so?"

Just look at the guy, you can tell from his haircut that he's a schmuck. And a putz, too.
Those who live in glass houses.....