Old October 2, 2003, 00:32   #1
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 03:42
Local Date: November 2, 2010
MS Office OneNote 2003
I've been using this new program daily for a few weeks now on my laptop. I take notes in all of my classes in it.

It's a new application in Microsoft Office 2003. At first a lot of people confuse it with Word, but it's quite a bit different.

There's no Save button in OneNote. It always saves.
You can integrated audio notes by simply clicking the mic button and talking, then hit end, and it inserts a notation with a button to play it, whereever the cursor was at the time.

You can move around anything: single lines of text, block of texts, etc, by clicking on the little move icon to the left of every line. Unlike Word you don't need to pad with whitespace, wherever you click it'll type.

You can draw anywhere at any time with the pen. If you've got a tablet PC you can use your stylist to write on the screen anywhere without interfering with pictures of text on it, otherwise you use the mouse to draw.

It has customizable "flags" which allow you to annotate features (Homework, Read, Definition, Theorem, Important, etc). Then you can use the Flag View to view flags in a variety of ways. I use View Flag Type, so it'll list all of my homework, reading assignments, etc. Then I click off the homework when I'm done.

Integrates with Outlook: Click a button on the toolbar and it creates an Outlook task.

Sections: All of my subjects across the top of the screen with tabs.
Pages: Can easily create and move pages via the right-side tabs (can change to other locations on the screen)

Very cool and powerful "search" function.

It's now my most-used MS Office app, beating Word and Outlook by a longshot.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	onenote.png
Views:	177
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	54311  
Old October 2, 2003, 00:34   #2
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

They even thought of the poor college students taking math courses!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	onenote2.png
Views:	174
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	54312  
Old October 2, 2003, 00:51   #3
Grrr
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 22:42
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Where does one get a copy?, I have as yet never heard of it, but now definately want it.
Old October 2, 2003, 01:02   #4
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

It's commercially available October 22nd(?). Toshiba ships it with all new notebooks they sell, too.

It's also all over the internet (the final version, even).

The OneNote webpage is here. It's got corny videos with "use cases" from "typical users" (students, engineer, etc), as well as feature lists and screenshots.
Old October 2, 2003, 01:10   #5
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

And Paul Thurrott has a review from the beta:
Quote:
I probably spend about half of my work-related life taking notes in Word while speaking to representatives from Microsoft or other companies either in person or on the phone. As a result, I've developed into a fairly speedy typist, and I have hundreds of different Word documents scattered around my hard drive, with notes from these meetings. At Fall COMDEX 2001, however, I got my first look at a new Microsoft Office application called OneNote, designed specifically for note-taking. After hours of time with the OneNote team, I was eager to adopt the application and begin using it, instead of Word, to takes notes. Beginning with Office 2003 Beta 2, I finally got my chance.

In Microsoft's words, OneNote includes all of the standard typing and formatting features that you would expect from Word, plus tabs for sections and pages that make it easy to work with multiple documents--called notes--at once (Figure). You can click and type or draw with the mouse anywhere on a page, just as you would with paper, and once you have written something, it is saved automatically. You can mark notes that are important to review or require follow-up, and OneNote will summarize them across all your notes. You can easily search through all your notes, and you can e-mail notes directly from within OneNote. And if you have a Tablet PC, you can handwrite notes in OneNote, of course (Figure).

OK, that's a fairly concise, and even accurate, description. But the true beauty of OneNote is the seamless way it works. "OneNote is a new Office family application," Chris Pratley, an Office Product Manager, told me recently. "We generated the idea for OneNote about two years ago when planning began for Office 11. We were thinking about how people really work, what people do all day. A lot of people spend a considerable amount of time taking notes. And every once in a while, you make a document out of those notes."

OneNote works with four basic types of notes: typing, handwriting, drawings, and audio. "And it ties them all together," Pratley told me. "If your notes are on paper, it's no good because you can't find them later. Electronically, at least the notes are there in the computer, but you still can't find them. OneNote gives you an easy way to search notes, and actually use them as a resource, or personal database, where you can refer back later."
Old October 2, 2003, 02:07   #6
Ari Rahikkala
King

Local Time: 12:42
Quote:
There's no Save button in OneNote. It always saves.
Wow, has Microsoft been reading the GNOME HIG ?
This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand
Old October 2, 2003, 04:32   #7
Zopperoni
Age of Nations TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 11:42
I have OneNote, but still have to around using it.
Old October 2, 2003, 04:52   #8
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 20:42
Seems promising.
Does it get messy with the "type anywhere you feel like it" approach?
Old October 2, 2003, 05:43   #9
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 09:42
Sounds cool. I wish I had Asher's toys.
Old October 2, 2003, 06:06   #10
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 17:42
Falls way short of a piece of paper.
Old October 2, 2003, 06:10   #11
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I'm always losing pieces of paper. And if I want to change what I've written I have to scribble things out and it gets messy. And when I've got a big stack of notes and I'm looking for one specific part I can never seem to find the Ctrl+F keys on the bit of paper.
Old October 2, 2003, 06:12   #12
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 10:42
And I can't put an audio note on a piece of paper, either.

(not that I ever put an audio note in a document, anyway)
Old October 2, 2003, 06:17   #13
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
And I can't put an audio note on a piece of paper, either.

(not that I ever put an audio note in a document, anyway)
Think of the dumb people!
Old October 2, 2003, 06:46   #14
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 04:42
if you're lucky enough to work for a place with enterprise licensing agreements (like myself), you can download it from the licensing website, where it's been availible since early september.

i must say, i just installed office 2003 yesterday (one one computer, to see if it might be worth it to roll out on the others), and onenote is very nice.

it even opens up when you login, should you choose it, and you can use it like stickies. the thing that makes the stickies also has a quick connection to make audio memos.

it's great to use, but it makes much more sense on tablet pcs or laptops than on a desktop.

as for the rest of office... infopath is kinda useless, so far as i can figure, for home use--which, i guess, is why it's not budled with the non-professional suites. outlook, word, access, excel, and powerpoint are back as default installs, along with publisher, back from its exile in XP.

frontpage is again separate.

outlook's changed. now it's in a three-column format, better to match outlook web access on exchange server 2k3. looks a bit busier, but i don't mind it too much because it now matches owa.

in any case, office 2k3 looks quite nice. haven't finished poking around yet, but the interface is definitely smoother, slicker, and improves a bit along the direction xp was taking.
Old October 2, 2003, 12:24   #15
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

I'm really fond of the new Outlook layout myself. And the filter system, and how it can clump up emails under collapsable categories like "Yesterday" and "Last Week".

Also, the built-in junk-mail filter is superb. I get about 20 spams a day, it catches about 95% of them, and I've yet to have a false positive.
Old October 2, 2003, 12:27   #16
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
Falls way short of a piece of paper.
I much prefer OneNote. I can type way faster than write, and my writing is pretty messy. Further, it's hard to go back and find data on paper. In OneNote I type it in the "Text to find" category and it opens the task pane on the right with all of the occurances of the word in my notebook, and highlights them. The "Find" stuff even works in handwritten notes via text recognition.

I'm even recording the lectures now via the audio notes: the audio files are small in size since it encodes the files in real-time to WMA9 Voice.

There's also half a dozen settings so you can add line to the pages, which can look like graph paper, college ruled, etc.
Old October 2, 2003, 12:28   #17
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Seems promising.
Does it get messy with the "type anywhere you feel like it" approach?
Nope. When you click somewhere to type, it makes a box with a slightly grey background, with a bar at the top where you can click and drag it around.

If you drag one box on top of another, it simply merges them.
Old October 2, 2003, 12:29   #18
DaShi
Emperor

How about PDA interfaces with it? Is there a PDA version?
Old October 2, 2003, 12:36   #19
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Not sure if there's a PDA version.
Old October 2, 2003, 12:46   #20
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

What's the use if you don't have a tablet pc?
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old October 2, 2003, 12:48   #21
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

You use a stylist to draw images for you? How much money have you actually got? Have you got an interior designer to keep your locker tidy too?
Old October 2, 2003, 12:48   #22
Q Classic
Emperor

audio memos. that's about it for desktops.

it's somewhat useful for laptops, too, but its purpose seems to be directly for tablets.
Old October 2, 2003, 12:51   #23
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramo
What's the use if you don't have a tablet pc?
Works great on a laptop, too.
Old October 2, 2003, 12:52   #24
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Buck Birdseed
You use a stylist to draw images for you? How much money have you actually got? Have you got an interior designer to keep your locker tidy too?
I hire all sorts of flunky humanities people to do my dirty work.

Send your resume to me via PM.
Old October 2, 2003, 12:53   #25
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Bah, I can't waste money on a laptop, and certainly not on a tablet.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old October 2, 2003, 13:11   #26
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher
I much prefer OneNote. I can type way faster than write, and my writing is pretty messy.
The thing about paper is the writing is absolutely freeform. I put down anything I need to, and there's no need to fiddle with the interface, thus risking losing your train of thought.

Quote:
Further, it's hard to go back and find data on paper.
Ah, that's why I used to rewrite my notes when I get back to the dorm room. Helps with retaining the material, too.
Old October 2, 2003, 13:18   #27
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 05:42
Quote:
I get about 20 spams a day,
Lucky bastard. I get about 100+ a day on my main email account.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old October 2, 2003, 13:20   #28
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 05:42
I hate laptops. They keyboards just suck for my short, fat fingers.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old October 2, 2003, 13:20   #29
Urban Ranger
Deity

You need to change the address. Beware of bots harvesting addresses from websites.
Old October 2, 2003, 15:17   #30
MattH
King

Quote:

I hire all sorts of flunky humanities people to do my dirty work.

Send your resume to me via PM.
Around here German majors go for about $20/head.