Old July 3, 2000, 02:52   #1
Celestion The God

AAAAARRRRGHHHH!!! (Scenario turn problem)
I am working on an Atlantis scenario, and I wanted it to start in 30000 BC. So I set the turn year to -519, which is its equivalent. So far, so good. It works fine until it reached turn -492, the equivalent of 28650 BC, then it crashes. (I have verified multiple times that this is a problem with the turn number rather than something I did in the scenario.) So I figured I could start in 20000 BC without ruining the general concept. However, the game also seems to crash around 12300 BC As I plan to have the disaster that destroys Atlantis occur around 10500 BC, there is no way I can start the game after 12300 BC. I have tried a whole lot, and am getting really annoyed. Can anyone tell me how to prevent this, or at least why it happens?

(Oh, and don't tell me to start at 3000 and change the labels to "decades BC" because that wouldn't be enough turns for my scenario before it goes into AD.)

Old July 3, 2000, 06:00   #2
DarthVeda
Emperor

Local Time: 02:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Two things,

Firstly, WHY 30,000 B.C. to 10,000 B.C.? The Greeks/ancient peoples would have never known of them then. Civilization was just beginning with irrigation in 3500 B.C., heck, most people were nomads in 10,000 B.C., and I'd guess the world population to be below 25,000 individuals.

I would have placed them around 1200-800 B.C. coinciding with Greek, Egyptian, and other mediteranean dark ages attributing to attacks from "The peoples of the sea".

Secondly,

quote:

(Oh, and don't tell me to start at 3000 and change the labels to "decades BC" because that wouldn't be enough turns for my scenario before it goes into AD.)

If it's crashing on one turn in particular, you've probably reached some kind up upper bound with the negative date movement (B.C.). And since adding extra 0's to the time would fix this and you don't want to do that, you are therefore screwed.
Old July 3, 2000, 06:05   #3
DarthVeda
Emperor

I'd also need to know what kind of turn interval you're using... groups of 20 years, 50 years, months, whatever.

Just know that Civ probably won't do any more than 32,768 turns.

I just had an idea though, before it crashes, try setting the "Game Turn" in the cheat menu to "0". I don't think it will reset your time but I'm not sure.

If that doesn't work, you could instruct the player to change both that and the scenario starting time in some kind of prompt, then have them save the game and use that as an opportunity to use multiple .gif/.txt files ala Red Front.
Old July 3, 2000, 09:11   #4
William Keenan
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 01:00
I experienced some strange results when the length of the string in the time display exceeded fifteen characters. It caused the game to act very strange and lose some of the functions of the menus.
Old July 3, 2000, 14:59   #5
Celestion The God

Darth: I am not doing the kind of Atlantis that the scenario with FW did, I'm doing sort of a "New Age"y Atlantis with crystal powers and death rays and stuff. More interesting for a scenario.

WK: Sorry, but I have no clue what a string is and why it would exceed 15 characters.

Old July 3, 2000, 20:14   #6
Phoenix
Prince

Local Time: 00:00
Hey, if they got crystal balls and death rays and bullshit they can invent thier own damn calendar.

There. Problem solved.

------------------
In school they never talked about hamburgers or steak
Elijah Muhammed or the welfare state, but I know. And I know because of KrsOne
Yeah and I know, And I know because of KrsOne
Because he's dropping dropping dropping science dropping history
With a whole leap of style and intellegency
Yes and I know. And I know because of KrsOne.
Old July 4, 2000, 00:06   #7
Celestion The God

Yeah....my guess is that I'll just start at 1 and rename AD to ABS (After the Beginning of the Scenario)

Old July 4, 2000, 02:39   #8
Michael Dnes

I thought Plato said that Atlantis fought the Greeks in 9000BC. Does the scenario go on until then?

Old July 4, 2000, 13:27   #9
Celestion The God

All right, since you people seem interested:

I am using the evidence presented in the book "Fingerprints of the Gods" to set the destruction of Atlantis at 10500 BC. From "The History of the Golden Ages" (it's on the Internet, if you're interested) I got that the cause for the sinking of Atlantis was that they decided to test out a new death ray and it didn't exactly work the way they wanted. (An event about if you build a the wonder equivalent to Manhattan, all kinds of bad things happen and I test out the new Technology Collapse with Test of Time) I am including 7 civilizations, including the Athenians, Luxor (Egypt), Mu, and more. And here's how I solved the turn problem....kind of a cop-out, but:

NEWS BROADCAST
An Atlantean time-travel experiment goes horribly wrong, catapulting the world into the year 13891 AD for no apparent reason [the game actually does this]. Your civilization decides to ask the hyperadvanced civilizations of this time for help. They give you very specific instructions on how to return the world back to its correct time period:
-Go to the Cheat tab and press Toggle Cheat Mode
-Go to Set Game Year and type in -149
-Go to Save As Scenario. Do NOT replace your "anted.scn" file.
-Open this scenario and continue playing.

Old July 4, 2000, 18:30   #10
WarVoid
King

Local Time: 06:00
You can't use a time set longer than 9999. I tried this in my Hyborian Age Of Conan scenario and it caused the game to crash. The programming was built around a game starting at 4000 B.C.. Not before. The only way to do it is to change the extension (B.C./A.D.) labels. You can use multiple labels files though to change the dates. Kinda like multiple events files.
Old July 4, 2000, 18:44   #11
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

I thought Plato said that Atlantis fought the Greeks in 9000BC. Does the scenario go on until then?

No, GSquid wants to make a scenario about an even dumber made-up idiocy.

P.S. I am not saying that the scenario will be bad.
Old July 12, 2000, 10:07   #12
Leao

Where can I find War Void´s Conan Scenario ?