Old October 2, 2003, 20:36   #1
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 03:45
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Confirmed: Half-Life 2 source code leaked
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/ha...s_6076314.html

Quote:
Gabe Newell confirms that the Valve network was hacked.

Since late yesterday, reports have spread that the source code for Half-Life 2 was leaked and was illicitly posted on the Web. Valve's Gabe Newell has today confirmed in a post on the Half-Life2.net forum that the file that is circulating is indeed the Half-Life 2 source code and said that it was stolen from Valve's network two weeks ago.

Newell summed up the importance of these events with "Well, this sucks," saying that "this has just not been the best couple of days for me or for Valve." He explained that someone gained access to his e-mail and installed keystroke recorders on several Valve computers as a means of stealing passwords. Valve and its Steam service have been the targets of several denial-of-service attacks over the past year, and he said it was unclear if these were related to the recent attacks.

Valve is turning to the gaming community in asking for any information that might lead to those responsible for the denial-of-service attacks or the network infiltration. Newell asked that any possible leads be sent to helpvalve@valvesoftware.com .

Newell didn't comment on whether these events would impact Half-Life 2's release schedule, which was recently pushed back from September 30 to late this year.

By Sam Parker, GameSpot [POSTED: 10/02/03 03:10 PM]
Yikes. Wonder what this will mean for the release schedule of the game. I don't recall there ever being such a high-profile leak like this one in the recent past.
Old October 2, 2003, 20:52   #2
Tis I
Warlord

Local Time: 04:45
what is the significance of a source code anyway? I know it allows one to modify the game but how would it impact an impending release?
Did he who made the lamb make thee?
Old October 2, 2003, 21:07   #3
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 20:45
They will have an advantage in cracking any software protection.
Old October 2, 2003, 21:28   #4
CygnusZ
Warlord

Local Time: 09:45
Big deal, as far as I'm concerned Halflife single player should have had a free release just for the publicity. Multiplayer is where the action is, and they have an unbeatable copy protection scheme for that.
Old October 2, 2003, 21:52   #5
MattH
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Tis I
what is the significance of a source code anyway? I know it allows one to modify the game but how would it impact an impending release?
It's the code that runs the actual game- i.e. Artificial Intelligence, graphics modeling, network interfacing etc. It's a lot of (usually) secret material made from 100's of hours of work, now free for anyone to copy/use for their own programs or finding ways to compromise multiplayer (like that MP hole in UT2k3)
Old October 2, 2003, 23:40   #6
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Re: Confirmed: Half-Life 2 source code leaked
Quote:
Originally posted by ixnay
Yikes. Wonder what this will mean for the release schedule of the game. I don't recall there ever being such a high-profile leak like this one in the recent past.
The Windows 2000 source was stolen a few years ago, nothing ever came from it.
Old October 3, 2003, 01:32   #7
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 11:45
Asher, you are leaving a big window of opportunity hee to make a (lame) MS comment here
Old October 3, 2003, 04:27   #8
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 17:45
Quote:
Originally posted by CygnusZ
Big deal, as far as I'm concerned Halflife single player should have had a free release just for the publicity. Multiplayer is where the action is, and they have an unbeatable copy protection scheme for that.
There is no such thing as an unbeatable copy protection scheme.
Old October 3, 2003, 04:33   #9
pg
Prince

Local Time: 04:45
Quote:
Originally posted by CygnusZ
er, the biggest problem to result is most likely cheats for multiplayer. if you think cheating in half life is bad i imagine hl 2 will now be much worse. unless you were being sarcastic...
Old October 3, 2003, 05:33   #10
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 10:45
Hope the release doesn't get pushed back too far.
Old October 3, 2003, 05:38   #11
Zealot
King

Re: Re: Confirmed: Half-Life 2 source code leaked
Quote:
Originally posted by Asher

Making a clone of a game is actually profitable, while cloning Windows would just be saying "Hey, we're the guys who stole your source-code! Come and sue us HARD!"
Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1
Old October 3, 2003, 05:56   #12
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 05:45
Besides, who would want to clone Windows?
Old October 3, 2003, 05:59   #13
August Borms
Prince

Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	thanks_microsoft.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	54388  
Old October 3, 2003, 06:06   #14
DrSpike
Deity

Cute.
Old October 3, 2003, 06:40   #15
Zealot
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
Besides, who would want to clone Windows?
Sun?
Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1
Old October 3, 2003, 12:42   #16
lord of the mark
Deity

BBC said this:

"The team at Valve has five years working on Half-Life 2, with an average of 30 people working on the title at any one time"

150 man years to make a friggin game?????? Is this possible?
Old October 3, 2003, 12:54   #17
Zealot
King

Didn't you ever hear that making top-notch games is consuming budgets like Hollywood movies budgets?
Games are getting more and more complex, and the people competent to make them need more and more time to keep up with new technologies due to this.
Old October 3, 2003, 13:09   #18
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Zealot
Didn't you ever hear that making top-notch games is consuming budgets like Hollywood movies budgets?
Games are getting more and more complex, and the people competent to make them need more and more time to keep up with new technologies due to this.
i guess this isnt the time for snarky remarks about my favorite genres and their superiority to FPS's, now is it?
Old October 3, 2003, 13:21   #19
Mahdimael
Prince

Single player wouldn't be too affected- however, multiplayer games could be hacked, and due to the soure code, they could circumvent any copy-protection or anti-cheating code. They could also hack the code to spread malicious viruses, or to steal information.
Old October 3, 2003, 13:33   #20
DrSpike
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by lord of the mark
BBC said this:

"The team at Valve has five years working on Half-Life 2, with an average of 30 people working on the title at any one time"

The game will undoubtedly look great (if the demo is anything to go by), but I hope that time is also spent on longevity. There have been too many great but short games in recent years IMO.
Old October 3, 2003, 13:58   #21
geeslaka
Prince

Local Time: 02:45
Quote:
I've always wondered where Microsoft got Win2k.
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old October 3, 2003, 14:46   #22
MattH
King

Quote:
BBC said this:

Well, I assume the "at any time" doesn't mean any time of the day... Its not like they're pulling 24/7 shifts on this at least, I don't think so...
Old October 3, 2003, 14:48   #23
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by MattH

Well, I assume the "at any time" doesn't mean any time of the day... Its not like they're pulling 24/7 shifts on this at least, I don't think so...
i assume it means 40 hours a week, 50 weeks a year. Thats a man year here in the USA. If they were working 24/7 it would be alot more than 150 man years.
Old October 3, 2003, 15:02   #24
geeslaka
Prince

Local Time: 02:45
I believe the 150 man years figure. I've been working on xgalaga recently and it's a small project but it still swallows tons of my time.

Edit: Been fooling around on BCD too much, accidentally mixed the link tag formats.
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.

Last edited by geeslaka; October 3, 2003 at 15:26.
Old October 3, 2003, 15:07   #25
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by geeslaka
I believe the 150 man years figure. I've been working on [link url=http://crystae.homeip.net/~xathien/drawings/xgal.bz2]xgalaga[/url] recently and it's a small project but it still swallows tons of my time.
Rise of Nations was done in about 2 years, with a staff of what? Less than 30, ISTR. So less than 60 man years.
Old October 3, 2003, 15:34   #26
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Quote:

i assume it means 40 hours a week, 50 weeks a year. Thats a man year here in the USA. If they were working 24/7 it would be alot more than 150 man years.
So your average american working dude only has two weeks off in a year??

Asmodean
Old October 3, 2003, 20:17   #27
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Far less then what europeans have in general anyway.
That's why their bank holidays are such a big deal compared to us
Old October 3, 2003, 20:25   #28
CygnusZ
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by pg

er, the biggest problem to result is most likely cheats for multiplayer. if you think cheating in half life is bad i imagine hl 2 will now be much worse. unless you were being sarcastic...
Two points:

1) No copy protection scheme is unbeatable, but the current system in Half-life is annoying enough that most people will just pay the $50 to not have to deal with having to find a valid key.

2) If you want MODs, you need to have the source open. Once that happens, you'll get cheaters anyway. Besides, while it's a problem in Counterstrike, I never noticed it being a problem is less popular MODs.
Old October 3, 2003, 21:06   #29
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Hope the moron that did it gets his ass nailed.
Spore page
Old October 3, 2003, 21:11   #30
Zopperoni
Age of Nations TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Can they speed up the development of the new Duke Nukem now by having it run on the HL2 engine?