Old October 3, 2003, 07:04   #1
DanielXY
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 10:48
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Damn alcohol...
So, yesterday I was drunk again since a long time. Usually I rarly touch alcohol or get only 1 drink or so. I mean alc is so much overrated when you could smoke some weed (which I usually prefer...) instead. Just a little comparison ... You may smile alot and have a funny way of thinking while on weed, but thats the point isnt it? While you can acomplish something similar with alc, you also loose some control over yourself and do quite stupid things (like cursing at police patrols...), on weed you just get high, you dont loose control damnit.

And try having a conversation with drunk ppl. They just will tell you the same over and over again, while you can have quite funny talks with stoned folks....

+ You dont get a damn hangover the next day!

Hmpf, I should have known better ... damn alcoholics ("Come on, lets get drunk ... I invite you...")

/end of rant
Old October 3, 2003, 07:07   #2
Solly
Emperor

Yep, I'll agree. I haven't a clue why alcohol is legal.
Old October 3, 2003, 07:10   #3
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 11:48
you said it daniel, i'm having a hangover right now, whilst slowly regaining my memory, and it sucks!

tbh i haven't smoked any weed yet so i don't know if it's a good replacement for alcohol; in order to go berzerk once in a while I mean

ps: Pekka should arrive any minute now, telling another one of his drinking stories
Old October 3, 2003, 07:31   #4
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 20:48
I don't lose control when drunk.
But each to their own.
Old October 3, 2003, 07:39   #5
DanielXY
Warlord

Depends on how drunk you are I suppose...
Old October 3, 2003, 07:49   #6
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

idd, when you search the limits... after so viele halbe liters ist man gut besoffen und hat man sicher kein kontrol mehr, muha!

we need more german threads! (to practice my rusty german again )
Old October 3, 2003, 07:57   #7
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 20:48
I work at a liquor store. I have searched my limits quite frequently.
Old October 3, 2003, 08:00   #8
Sikander
King

Local Time: 02:48
I've seen a lot more heartache related to alchohol than related to marijuana. I'm a one or two drinks kind of guy, as getting into fights and making inappropriate sexual advances are only interesting for so long.
Old October 3, 2003, 08:03   #9
Elok
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 05:48
Alcohol wears off more quickly than marijuana, and doesn't smell as bad. Anyway, I'd hesitate to use anything that coats my brain cells with black tarry chemicals.
Also, note that hangovers can be remedied by self-control (Yes! It is possible to drink a certain amount and then stop!), and drinking lots of water. And different people behave in different ways when drunk. I find everything amusing, tend to wax poetic, and feel a strong urge to do the Magic Seizure Dance for the most part. It's never even occured to me to insult the police, because all alcohol really does is lower your inhibitions. It supplies me, at least, with very few innovative ideas, only made me more prone to listen to the same old dumb ones. If you act up when you're drunk, it shows that you're not a good drunk.
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old October 3, 2003, 08:06   #10
DanielXY
Warlord

Yeah, maybe Im just not compatibel to drunkness
Old October 3, 2003, 08:06   #11
Sikander
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Elok
Alcohol wears off more quickly than marijuana, and doesn't smell as bad. Anyway, I'd hesitate to use anything that coats my brain cells with black tarry chemicals.
Also, note that hangovers can be remedied by self-control (Yes! It is possible to drink a certain amount and then stop!), and drinking lots of water. And different people behave in different ways when drunk. I find everything amusing, tend to wax poetic, and feel a strong urge to do the Magic Seizure Dance for the most part. It's never even occured to me to insult the police, because all alcohol really does is lower your inhibitions. It supplies me, at least, with very few innovative ideas, only made me more prone to listen to the same old dumb ones. If you act up when you're drunk, it shows that you're not a good drunk.
Thankfully becoming a good drunk is very low on my list of necessary self-improvements.
Old October 3, 2003, 08:06   #12
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

what do you mean with acting up? (i'm not english )
Old October 3, 2003, 08:15   #13
Elok
Emperor

Act up: get rowdy, cause trouble, grab women's butts, etc.

And you can't "become" a good drunk, because, like I said, all liquor does is shut down your inhibitions. The things you do while drunk are the things you want on some level but have the sense not to do normally. Some people are loud drunks, some get fight-happy, and some just chase skirts.
This knowledge has given me such a huge ego boost it's not even funny, because it shows that my deepest, most wicked supressed desires are...comically offbeat dancing, talking too loud, and unconventional comic verse. I don't have the attention span to be horny or agressive when I'm drunk. The closest I come to either one is a vague appreciation of the fact that some girl has a nice rear, followed immediately by a long mental discourse on how funny the word "rear" sounds, and one night when I ran up and down the halls calling myself the Broom Ninja and threatening people with abandoned cleaning equipment as a joke.
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old October 3, 2003, 08:24   #14
duke o' york
Civilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Park Avenue
Hang on, how long ago was it that you changed your name from Boddington's?

A funny thing happened to Boddington's on the road to Damascus......
Old October 3, 2003, 08:29   #15
Sikander
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Elok
Act up: get rowdy, cause trouble, grab women's butts, etc.

And you can't "become" a good drunk, because, like I said, all liquor does is shut down your inhibitions. The things you do while drunk are the things you want on some level but have the sense not to do normally. Some people are loud drunks, some get fight-happy, and some just chase skirts.
Actually alchohol shuts down your brain from the highest to the lowest parts more or less in sequence. Thus you start out by supressing what are often stressful abstract thoughts and relax into "mammal world" where your awareness tends to be drawn into social intercourse, body language, sexuality, dominance, rivalry etc. As you keep drinking this part of the brain tends to be shut down by degree. This is where some people really become *******s. They are still trying to achieve mammalian goals (getting laid, bashing a rival etc.) but they do so with less and less social skill.

Beyond this is lizard world, where the nuts and bolts of living are taken care of. Once you are impaired here you may find very simple things like standing upright to be very difficult. You are in touch with your inner lizard, and by god if you have to pee you are going to do it wherever you want to, because any mammalian sensibilities are likely long gone. Keep drinking and such handy things as breathing and having a heartbeat are no longer givens.
Old October 3, 2003, 09:56   #16
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 04:48
Quote:
Originally posted by Sikander

Beyond this is lizard world......... You are in touch with your inner lizard, and by god if you have to pee you are going to do it wherever you want to.....

And who hasnt been there
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old October 3, 2003, 16:18   #17
Elok
Emperor

I haven't. I have the sense to know when to stop. If you have no self-control, you shouldn't be taking any substance. I mean, if you take in too much fat you'll have a heart attack, but that doesn't make fried chicken intrinsically evil.

Now stop bashing booze; the problem is at least partially on your end. Can you honestly say you didn't know you would get a hangover if you took in too much? You knew it would happen, you did it anyway, and you blame it all on the middleman. Geez.
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old October 3, 2003, 16:22   #18
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 09:48
This whole thread is outright blashpamy!!!
Old October 3, 2003, 16:44   #19
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Park Avenue
Uh, mainly for the benefit of those of us who manage to enjoy alcohol without getting drunk.
Old October 3, 2003, 17:31   #20
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
my deepest, most wicked supressed desires are...comically offbeat dancing, talking too loud, and unconventional comic verse.
How many drinks, Elok?
Old October 3, 2003, 17:32   #21
Elok
Emperor

Not many, I drink so rarely that my tolerance is rock-bottom. The most I've ever done is seven. Then I realized that I would vomit if I drank more, chugged some water, and went to bed.
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old October 3, 2003, 17:54   #22
lord of the mark
Deity

according to rabbinic legend, when Noah planted a vineyard after the flood, Satan joined him, and brought a lamb, a lion, a monkey and a pig, and watered the vineyard with their blood. That is why one drink makes you sweet as a lamb, two make you strong as a lion, three make you as silly as a monkey, and four make you disgusting as a pig.
Old October 3, 2003, 17:56   #23
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 09:48
and drinking grape juice makes you stale like water.
Old October 3, 2003, 19:33   #24
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
and drinking grape juice makes you stale like water.

At least one would be consistent.