Old October 22, 2003, 12:48   #31
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 02:49
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by joncnunn
By any chance did you try building a Granary after building the Pyramids but before they went obsolete?
You won't be able to. If you already have one in your city list, it won't come up in your build list.
Willem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2003, 11:28   #32
Stuie
King

Local Time: 05:49
Now that we know the specifics...

Quote:
Required Tech : Polytheism
Cost : 500 Shields
Obsolete : Education
Effect : Places a temple in every city the owner controls on the same continent.
The Temple of Artemis is one of the most expensive Ancient Era Wonders in the game, and with good reason. The massive early culture boost that it provides is arguably just as effective as a stack of Gallic Swordsman. Combine this cultural benefit with a the attributes of a Religious Civilization, switch to Monarchy (for an increased chance to convert your Despotic neighbors) and you have one passive-aggressive, cultural-converting juggernaut. For an additional boost pick up The Oracle, but remember: once Education appears your towns will become much more "rowdy."
I'm thinking....

1. Build Artemis, reap culture benefits.
2. Build Marketplaces and acquire luxuries to prepare for when Artemis expires.
3. Start Cathedrals in all cities prior to Education.

No temples needed.
Stuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2003, 17:46   #33
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 21:49
THat culture would be the greatest asset in many games, by far. Imagine not needing to build anything in a city and expand its boundaries! That culture won;t go away either, so if I get this I will REX like mad until the benefits go away, by which time no-one would ever manage to put any cities in places I want again!

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
MrWhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2003, 17:55   #34
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 11:49
hi ,

well just mod a game a bit to let have a wonder build a temple in each city , result , it does not unbalance the game and it aint to strong , ......

have a nice day
Panag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2003, 18:28   #35
Fried-Psitalon
Civilization IV: MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC4DG Sarantium
Official Civilization IV Strategy Guide Co-Author

Local Time: 04:49
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
THat culture would be the greatest asset in many games, by far. Imagine not needing to build anything in a city and expand its boundaries! That culture won;t go away either, so if I get this I will REX like mad until the benefits go away, by which time no-one would ever manage to put any cities in places I want again!
The only problem is the cost; Artemis is a *very* significant investment in such an early stage of the game, which I feel is more than fair to the wonder.

Unfortunately, the trivial and random nature of the Scientific Great Leader sort of tosses a wonder cost out the window. Which would you rather rush on turn 10? The Pyramids or the Temple? Heh. I've played a game where another player's Scientific Great Leader Luck got him BOTH!
Fried-Psitalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2003, 13:22   #36
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Fried-Psitalon

The only problem is the cost; Artemis is a *very* significant investment in such an early stage of the game, which I feel is more than fair to the wonder.

Unfortunately, the trivial and random nature of the Scientific Great Leader sort of tosses a wonder cost out the window. Which would you rather rush on turn 10? The Pyramids or the Temple? Heh. I've played a game where another player's Scientific Great Leader Luck got him BOTH!

hi ,

, a poll would be helpfull on this , but most people tend to go for the temple

have a nice day
Old November 5, 2003, 15:22   #37
Faboba
King

Local Time: 09:49
Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
Perhaps it's because I like to play England and to play on real world maps but I never get very excited about 'on the same continent' wonders
Old November 5, 2003, 15:48   #38
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Fried-Psitalon

Damn. I've done something like that with military great leaders in PTW SP (Pyramids & Great Library both from early archer warfare), but that's not something I'd ever be able to pull off in MP - human tactics just wouldn't allow for it.

If I had to pick one, though, I'd say Pyramids, hands-down (first off, you won't even have the option of rushing Artemis until you get to Polytheism, whereas the Pyramids requires a level 1 tech). Pop is power. Growth is king.

The Temple is very nice, but the Pyramids remains better, I would think. Granted, I've not played with it yet. But it's hard to imagine a wonder that goes obselete with Education beating out a wonder that lasts the entire game.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Arrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2003, 20:15   #39
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 04:49
Depends hevially upon difficultly level:

Monarch & below : Pyramids

Demigod & above : Artemis

Emperor : High food (Food plains) : Artemis. Otherwise Pyramids.
joncnunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2003, 08:24   #40
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Faboba
Perhaps it's because I like to play England and to play on real world maps but I never get very excited about 'on the same continent' wonders
hi ,

have you tried el mencey's world map allready

its great

have a nice day
Old November 11, 2003, 15:11   #41
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I guess I should have read this thread. I got a bit of a shock when the wonder expired. I knew it would no longer make temples, but I did not expect the existing ones to go away.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2003, 15:30   #42
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Oh my.

Sorry.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Arrian is offline   Reply With Quote