Old October 3, 2003, 15:10   #1
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 03:50
Local Date: November 2, 2010
CYcon apology for tech mix up
I was sent this message this morning

--------------------------------------------------

Dear Ambassador Flubber,

I write to you as Prime Function to apologise for the mix-up regarding our turn-playing. With holidays and absences things in the CyCon had been a bit mixed up as of late, and so DBTS simply played the turn with what orders were there, and doing what he saw as best. Since Corellion had not yet posted the switch to HEC, as it was to be a late addition because of the poll finishing, DBTS had no knowledge of what to choose next. Please consider this a formal apology on behalf of the CyCon, and accept our gift of 10ec, which we will put in the diplomacy box when we get the turn.

I am sorry for this mix up. As Maniac has said, we are willing to research Nonlinear Mathemetics next, if you wish, to trade the tech you ideally wanted (IIRC).

------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately this gets us squat for a long time unless we are willing to give them doc ini-- otherwise we have to wait a whole research cycle .

They don't have the same arguments about its wide availability as they did to lowball on doc flex so I can proibably get something good -- Perhaps they have to gift their first built cruiser to us or something, not build the MCC and not trade Doc INi onward for a number of years

Do people want to go down a trade with them or are people so pissed off that we let them research doc ini themselves and wait forever. I would rather they get us HEC now than impact weapons since we should be able to steal/trade impact from Miriam
Old October 3, 2003, 17:49   #2
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 04:50
First, I would have to say that 10 P's of E is a really token amount considering the compounded offense (we are still waiting for a tech we should have gotten at the end of their last round of completed research, so it will be 2 at least whole rounds (of increasing length) before we get made whole for that trade. I think that the peace offering ought to start at the free gifting of Biogenetics (which we could use to build Recyclers in our increasingly stagnating land bases) and go up from there.

On the assumption that we can trust the Borg as long term allies (I underline because that is a very big if in my opinion) I would be receptive to a deal along these lines.
Step 1: They outright GIVE us Biogenetics right away (and anything else required to make the rest of our Cap'ns happy, if necessary, like cash or that bond arrangement they proposed before). That still leaves them owing us the tech from the IndAuto deal.
Step 2: We provide them with the Doc:Initiative tech with numerous understandings (conditions):
- they agree that they now owe us 2 techs
- that they switch to High Energy Chemistry (or whatever other tech of our choice we specify should we wish to change our mind - please note that NonLinear will not be an available choice for them at this point);
- that their next research goal will also be as specified by us also (note the selection at that point may not be to our liking, as it will probably consist of Secrets of the HB which I doubt we are lusting for, plus ProgenPsych, EthicalCalc and Nonlinear, which we already have or plan to have by then; the tech offering could be tweaked, but only by entering into yet another trade-forward with them);
Step 3 and Step 4: that they promptly research and give to us those specified techs.

I don't know if that is good enough for the rest of you, but I think I could live with it - the alternative seems to be not getting anything until such time as we would have gotten the second specified tech in that scenario and not necessarily having a say in what that tech was.
Old October 3, 2003, 20:26   #3
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 10:50
If the conditions (as above) are right and accepted by them, I can go with trading Doc:Init in the scenario painted by Cuspidore BB. Btw the Cycon don't have stacks of ecs, in fact they are quite low following their purchase of Doc: Flex from the AI, hence their meagre offer. It is Roz who has tons of treasure.
Old October 3, 2003, 22:25   #4
Atlantian
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
Warlord

Local Time: 09:50
*Likes JohnD's Idea*
"War forced us into the seas. When we came back upon the surface, it was a ruined and desolate place. We knew that it was not long before even the most secluded spot in the seas of Earth was polluted, so we left to the the sea of stars. That is how we came to be on Chiron."
-Dameon McPherson, Leader of the Atlantians, "The Exodus"