Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 4, 2003, 21:36   #31
Shaka II
Prince

Local Time: 04:50
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Feephi
Ancient because they game moves quickly. I have never played a game into Modern age. Halfway through Industrial, it either becomes clear that I will win the game, or the game becomes too difficult to manage and I get bored and start over. This is on emperor level. On Diety, I never get out of Ancient because the other civs become too powerful and I feel like I cant catch up to them.
I put ancient era, although middle ages is a close second. I have tried several Deity games and it takes the modern era for me to catch up, which puts a damper on the game enjoyment. I'm sure there are tricks to learn, including Rexing and other exploits, but I think the best game play is at Emperor for me.

I find the ancient era to be the most fun, partly because it's alot of fun to explore for the resources, other civs and great places to settle down, maybe have some early warmongering.

I wouldn't mind playing an ancient/medieval mod, if someone developed one here (mentioned by GenghisFarb?).

I remember playing Wes Whitaker's CTP Medieval mod, a few years back. I wonder if it kept progressing, but it was pretty good when I played it. I think the tech race could end in the Medieval era and I would be happy. Slow the game down, finish it in the Medieval era.

I played a number of CivII scenarios made by Harlan Thompson IIRC that were great. Mongols and Vandals were my favorites. Has anyone done this for CivIII, I wonder? Mongols had to be the best, starting with a meager group of cavalry and a General, and growing a huge Mongol horde to expand out across the steppes to China and eventually all the way to Europe if you could in 100 turns.
Old November 4, 2003, 23:16   #32
zorbop
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 03:50
Quote:
Originally posted by Master Zen
Modern Era.

Yeah, I only get there about once in ever 20 games but modern warfare is just soooooo fun, especially if it's you against a powerful killer AI fighting an all-out war all over the world. Those wars are well worth the wait considering I usually finish in the middle ages or industrial.
i agree with that.
however, when i do not get to the modern era with a killer AI, i like industrious. that is usually when i have enough Sipahi to take my entire continent in 5 turns.
and as the germans, that is when i get panzers so i can use panzers and marines to take the entire continent in 1 turn.
Old November 5, 2003, 10:31   #33
Cort Haus
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 10:50
Of course, Sir Ralph and Ghengis have summed it up for many players. How about building only a modest single-core civ on Emperor, fighting only defensive wars in the early and mid-game, and resisting the lure of taking over a neighbour early. Without the game-winning early wars the human player gets to face a more competetive opponent for the industrial era and might get a decent end-game. I'm doing this as the Koreans atm, and it's even-stevens going into Industrial.

Another way I like to up the challenge is to play the English
Old November 11, 2003, 11:19   #34
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 11:50
medieval. this is were games are decided.
either militaristicly with knights or cavalry (or berserks if playing scandinavia) or economically/scientifically with building a large empire with lots of cathedrals, universities, courthouses, etc.

industrial and modern ages are usually about getting to the important techs first: motorized transportation/synthetic fibers for conquest victory, fission (iirc) for diplomatic, computers for cultural (internet) or higher techs for spaceship.
Old November 12, 2003, 07:29   #35
grappleman
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:50
midieval era, as sabrewolf put it, that really is where the game is decided, some of the most useful wonders are in this era and none of them become obsolete so they are all useful for the rest of the game, easily the best era...
Old November 12, 2003, 22:58   #36
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 05:50
Medieval. Although I like the beginning of the industrial age too. I'm really enjoying the "battles of wooden ships"!
Old November 14, 2003, 08:49   #37
Mountain Sage
PtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 09:50
Quote:
Originally posted by Cort Haus
Of course, Sir Ralph and Ghengis have summed it up for many players. How about building only a modest single-core civ on Emperor, fighting only defensive wars in the early and mid-game, and resisting the lure of taking over a neighbour early. Without the game-winning early wars the human player gets to face a more competetive opponent for the industrial era and might get a decent end-game. I'm doing this as the Koreans atm, and it's even-stevens going into Industrial.

Another way I like to up the challenge is to play the English
Ah, bro' of mine

But you shoudn't belittle the English. In Sir Ralph's game, they were Power no. 2; I even had to take them down...