Old July 15, 2000, 23:21   #1
Sortub
Chieftain

Local Time: 06:01
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Even More Red Front
Howdy everyone-

Well, I am reaching the twilight stages of yet another go-around with Red Front. I absolutely love this scenario, even more than playing regular civ. Anyhow, while the seasoned strategists are out there playtesting Tom Hanks and Co. at Normandy, I thought I'd share some more insights I picked up this time, for what they're worth. A good bit of the content just expands on what others have said on this forum. This is not meant to be a comprehensive guide, and I would reference novice players to other quite useful posts on this forum (where I was not so long ago).

It is May, 194... 4. All Soviet soil has been liberated. Romania surrendered in March. Best yet, the Fuhrer has now shot himself in his bunker, along with Eva.

Going chronologically, this is how I did it:

Summer 1941:

As noted elsewhere, build tons of refugees. Be sure to support them from new cities as they move East, or else they will perish once the Germans take their home cities (I learned this one the hard way).

Take laborers and build cities on any Fortified Batteries and Fortified Positions that you can. Support them from these "new" cities. Some may call this cheating; however, if the Germans can hide their submarines and cruise on the indestructable ocean mines and bribe your fortified positions, you should be able to build cities on them. The river crossing SE of Moscow is crucial, as is the fortified position just west of Narva. If you can cover that one, and snip the roads around Luga, the Germans can't touch Leningrad. I moved bunkers into Vipuuri (sp) and Leningrad as well.

Later, snip the road square in the marshes SE of Voronezh. There will be hardly any way the Germans can cross the Don if you do that.

I also moved a bunker into Rostow and let German units concentrate around it. Once Winter '43 came around... well, read on and find out what happened. Send the Black Sea fleet to patrol the Don for panzers that may stray over.

Carefully husband those T28 tanks, as they become T34/85s one winter sets in.

Airlift NKVD units to Murmansk and other places where needed.

Pillage and sell off any industrial capacity you can. With cities that are about to fall to the Germans, I like to simply turn all the citizens into scientists in order to get one tech a turn.

Overall, the general line to defend runs through Leningrad, Kalinn, Moscow, Voronezh, Rostow, and Kerch.

Build a series of airfields (railroad effect) between Moscow and Gorkiyy. One you get a critical mass of T34s produced, plus a Kat launcher or two, keep them behind the lines at Gorkiyy so they don't get beaten up when the Germans hit hard at Moscow in October/November. As Stalingrad is your most productive city at this point, airlift T34s into Moscow/Gorkiyy.

Disband all Red Army at this point so the Germans don't get 3 105 mm guns for each one killed.

Most importantly, don't freak out. These Germans will be at yoru mercy by 1944.

Winter '41-'42

Now send that Kat launcher from Gorkiyy to Moscow and let those wounded, stacked Germans have it! Blow away Germans stuck on the barbed wire. Don't play to recapture cities; just to repel the German threat from Moscow at this point.

Summer '42

Does anyone remember the scene in Braveheart, the battle of Stirling, I believe, when the English heavy cavalry charge and Mel Gibson commands "Hoolllddd... Holldddd... Hollllddd" to the Scottish Pikemen? Well, if you have the right fortified position placement on the Don River, this season is tantamount to that scene.

The Germans will throw almost everything they have trying to get across the Don. Use artillery, cruisers, and tank hunters to make sure they don't. Most importantly, they will make a huge push on Rostow. If you have a bunker in that city, just let them gather ("Hold.. Hold...)and built 152 mm artillery, Red Guard, tanks, Kats, etc., waiting for the right time to strike in the winter.

Importantly, use those new laborer brigades to build minefields in the three squares where the German units are supposted to land after crossing their pontoon bridge. Once I had done that, and fortified Kotelnikovo with a few artillery and tank hunters, the Germans didn't even attempt to cross onto the minefields!

Winter '42-'43:

For another cinematic reference, remember the battle scene in the beginning of Gladiator in which General Maximus Decimus (something rather) -- Russell Crowe -- deftly says "At my signal, unleash hell."

Well, unleash hell around Stalingrad. I killed off 107 German units in the area that turn (yes, I counted).

These three phases of the game were the most crucial. By December '43 I had Ploesti.

General observations:

Getting convoys into Baku results in a huge increase in beakers needed for the next tech.

Form a wall of steel to defend against the pestiferous Finns. Mobile Red Guard are good for fighting them in the Winter. Throw a few fortified T34s into those Northern cities and the Finns will have a real hard time attacking you.

My opinion of Cossacks has improved as of late. I have realized they are they only unit you can build that are all-terrain in the summer months.

As suggested previously, there should be a tech given to the Soviets at a certain point that turns Siberian infantry, partisans, and perhaps even NKVD into Red Guard. That's three more unit slots freed up(listening, Nemo ? )

The most fun part of the game this time for me wasn't the shoot 'em up, but rather, it was the industrialization process. I built several industralized giants where there was nothing in July '41. There is a spot to the north of Chrepovets/Vologda with like 2 bauxite and one coal mine square, and a similar one on the river south of Novii Port. By the end of the game, those spots became a 100 shield plus industrialized giants.

When possible, build industry on suburb squares. It makes them much more productive than ordinary industry squares. Some of the suburbs with the "village" appearance actually turn into the more modern-looking ones, although I can't exactly figure out why.

Also, if you turn Kollectiv squares into farmland, and build industry on them, then you get MEGA production from the citizen working that square.

So that Zlatoust and other wooded cities didn't starve in wintertime, I cut down a lot of the trees and turned the land into farmland.

Question:

How does the computer determine that enemy fighters have a chance to shoot down an airlift? Does one or both of the cities in question have to be within range of fighter planes? What are the changes of shotting one down?

OK, time to go sleep.

Thoughts, suggestions?

[This message has been edited by Sortub (edited July 16, 2000).]
Old July 16, 2000, 00:09   #2
PolarisGL
King

I do wish people would actually notice the Art of War, and send things to me.
Old July 16, 2000, 00:34   #3
Captain Nemo
Prince

Yes, I am listening...

The "village" suburb squares are single isolated railroads. If you build a city or airbase adjacent to them they turn into "connected" railroads, hence the new look.

Polaris: Do you want to host a comments/strategies for Second Front on the Art of War? So far it's still in testing but the events are almost 50% complete and it plays well so far... Would you like some screenshots for an "announcement"?
[This message has been edited by Captain Nemo (edited July 16, 2000).]
Old July 16, 2000, 10:23   #4
Sortub
Chieftain

Thanks Polaris. Just submitted something.
Old July 17, 2000, 06:46   #5
Michael Dnes

quote:

Originally posted by Sortub on 07-15-2000 11:21 PM
Howdy everyone-

Well, I am reaching the twilight stages of yet another go-around with Red Front. I absolutely love this scenario, even more than playing regular civ.

So I'm not the only person who prefers a good scenario to a full game.

Old July 17, 2000, 18:35   #6
Kull
lifer
King

Local Time: 23:01
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Absolutely, MD! Regular Civ has it's charms, but they age with time and predictability. Scenarios, especially revolutionary ones like Red Front, are the only reason most of us are still Civers.
Old July 17, 2000, 18:46   #7
PolarisGL
King

Sortub, received.

I will post up your strategy once our new host (who you are familiar with, hint hint) have our stuff set up.

Captain Nemo, I'd be honored to have the Art of War host such a marvelous event. Please contact me via e-mail for some details. I am also going to put up a "Game tips" section for Civ2 players to submit short tips for the real game. If you want to submit some to me early, submit it to me in the following format:

Name:
E-mail:
Tip:
Difficulty level:
Other notes:

Thanks, you guys.