Old October 3, 2003, 23:14   #1
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 02:51
Local Date: November 2, 2010
AU210 - UN Peacekeepers DAR 6 – End of the game
Use this space to comment on your game in the interval between the end of DAR 5 to the end of the game.
Old October 10, 2003, 02:59   #2
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 03:51
I finished with a diplomatic "victory," although calling it victory when I failed to achieve a key course objective is a bit of a stretch. Shortly after my last report, the game calmed down a bit with a majority of the fighting civs signing peace treaties. In 1300, one of my two sets of routine tech sales/trades came up for renewal and I signed the rest of the world up for a grand alliance against Germany. Three turns later, a turn before the U.N. was scheduled for completion, I gave everyone but Germany a free tech. At that point, Germany was furious with me, Japan was polite, and the rest of the world was gracious. The U.N. was finished the following turn (14 turns into the modern era). A vote was held, and everyone but Tokugawa and Bismarck voted for me. (Bismarck abstained because he couldn't figure out who he hated more.)
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ad 1320 victory.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	54781  
Old October 17, 2003, 11:16   #3
Cort Haus
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 10:51
I liked the way you got out of the trade embargo, Nathan. A similar move is when your war enemy has an MMP with a third party. Sign an MMP with that third party just before an attack, and your enemies ally becomes your ally.

Well done, you got the vote. Did you need to use the 'Grand Alliance' and gifting all techs the go before? I was tempted to do that in mine, and probably would have done if Germany had joined in the alliance against Japan, but I'd been aiming at the diplowin since turn one, and had given away masses of tech and gpt, so I thought that should be enough, and I didn't want to cheapen it.

Route (1) : Over five thousand careful years of peaceful diplomacy, civ-balancing and restraint, finally rewarded when those civs lovingly vote for you.

Route (2) : Buy a shortcut the turn before the UN with a Grand Alliance and 30k worth of modern tech

Final DAR's to follow ...
Old October 17, 2003, 14:57   #4
Cort Haus
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Endgame
Discovered Fission and Switched from the Palace prebuild to the UN. Completed in10 turns.

Mongols & India joined in alliance vs Japan. THen the Iroqs & Mongols signed an MPP, then Babylon and Spain signed an MPP
I feared that if Germany were to have joined that alliance, they'd get all the votes.

In 1395 the UN was completed and the judgement day arrives

Abe got all votes except the Iroqs. I'm pleased to say that I didn't use a Grand Alliance and tech bonanza at the end - more the steady drip drip of trade, gifts and good relations over the whole game. Even Hammy came round after his earlier indiscretions. The vote was a little too soon to get Hiawatha back. If it hadn't been for the AU mod raising Iroquois aggression, maybe I'd have got all the votes ...

Oh, I nearly forgot, Everyones alive, fit and well and still living in more or less the same place they started.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	victory.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	55233  
Old October 17, 2003, 14:59   #5
Cort Haus
Deity

Demographics
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	demographics.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	55234  
Old October 17, 2003, 15:00   #6
Cort Haus
Deity

Units at end
Is this not UP, of a kind?
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	endgameunits.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	55235  
Old October 17, 2003, 15:03   #7
Cort Haus
Deity

The Score
It's not often I've got around 5000 for a builder game, so quite satisfying, FWIW
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	ranking.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	55236  
Old October 17, 2003, 15:05   #8
Cort Haus
Deity

Score-graph
Notice the early peak that fades...
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	score.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	55238  
Old October 17, 2003, 15:05   #9
Cort Haus
Deity

Power Graph
and again on the power graph ...
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	power.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	55239  
Old October 17, 2003, 15:07   #10
Cort Haus
Deity

Culture Graph
This time it goes the other way. That's what happens if you convert over 1500g into libraries on one turn.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	culture.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	55240  
Old October 18, 2003, 22:22   #11
Taian
Chieftain

Local Time: 03:51
I achieved a diplomatic victory relatively shortly into the Modern Age. I had started a prebuild with the Palace, so the UN was not far off once I got the tech for it.

The last turn prior to building the UN, I made an MP with everyone on the continent, in hopes that would help them vote for me. That same turn, the Ottomans declared war on the Japanese, pulling me into the same war. Everyone else decided to join in the fun and the Ottomans were suddenly at war with the entire world.

Luckily for me, once the actual vote came around, it was between the Ottomans and myself. Predictably enough, most of the other civs voted for me.

Throughout the game, the majority of the civs were Polite/Cautious with the Americans. I did manage to tick the Mongols off by always wandering into their borders, but other than that, I didn't really do much provoking the whole time. I think, during every war that occurred, only 5 or 6 cities ever changed hands. It made for a bit of a boring game that way, but it was also one of the more interesting I've tried. Had to hold back that warmonger urge when I was sitting on 130 tanks and 98 infantry. I was producing about 20 tanks per turn at one point. Final score was around the 5300 mark.

Oh, and the reason that I have very little gold is because I paid off everyone to get into an MP. I didn't really think they weren't going to vote for me, but thought that every little bit helps
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	diplo victory.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	55315  
Old October 20, 2003, 16:54   #12
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Excellent games to both Cort Haus and Taian. And verrrrrrrrrry nice DARs too.

I find it intriguing that so far everyone has won with a diplomatic victory. That was sort of one of my hopes for this game.
Old November 2, 2003, 18:13   #13
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 05:51
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Looks like I'm goin' to space, Ma!!
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old November 2, 2003, 18:18   #14
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

1595 Ad, built the UN, held the vote: INCONCLUSIVE!!

I've actually followed all the rules, and have a pretty darn good rep. Everybody has been war after war except for me, my economy ROCKS... I shoulda won, I shoulda won, I tell ya!!

I did not, however, do the MPP thing, so maybe that's it.

Anyway, I'll do the sole SS win.

Now, let's see what the AI civs are cooking with...
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Old November 2, 2003, 18:21   #15
Theseus
Emperor

Other than America, the Ottomans and the Babs are the two big bad wolves out there... and they are at war.

Only problem, they are at the opposite end of the continent, so I get to be their host for their little dance.

First, the Ottomans:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	au210 1595 otto.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	304.3 KB
ID:	56465  

Old November 2, 2003, 18:23   #16
Theseus
Emperor

Now the Babs:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	au210 1595 bab.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	312.0 KB
ID:	56468  

Old November 2, 2003, 18:25   #17
Theseus
Emperor

This is a wee bit scary... just what is visible (and on MY turf) in the above two screenshots:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	au210 1595 units.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	56469  

Old November 2, 2003, 18:27   #18
Theseus
Emperor

Everybody's alive and well, although Spain is on total life-support.

Particularly nice city the Ottomans got in capturing Seville, huh?
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	au210 1595 wall.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	263.1 KB
ID:	56472  

Old November 2, 2003, 18:32   #19
Theseus
Emperor

I STILL haven't had my GA!!

Obviously, I could get in a war and use my F-15s, but I'm kicking such b*tt economically, I'll trigger it with SETI (I am the only one with Computers). I should get the SS done in record time!!

Old November 2, 2003, 18:38   #20
Theseus
Emperor

Actually, it's pretty exciting watch the Ottomans and Babs duke it out... I'll keep an eye open for GLs.

Old November 2, 2003, 18:41   #21
Theseus
Emperor

Oh, and those MI Armies are actually MI+Tank+2xCav.

Old November 2, 2003, 18:57   #22
Theseus
Emperor

I just tried offering Hiawatha 50g and 50gpt, and the mofo REFUSED.

He was happy to take 1000g though.

Old November 2, 2003, 19:32   #23
Cort Haus
Deity

Some peace-game Theseus! The AI's must know it's you, and are putting on a show. Did some AI-AI war break one of your trade routes (I'm assuming you were a good boy and didn't break any yourself) which made the Iroqs refuse a gpt gift?

Maybe be your early-game, 'intervention' against the Mongols destabilised things somehow
Old November 2, 2003, 19:32   #24
Theseus
Emperor

I've played a bit further... I figure I gotta trim the Ottomans down a bit, as they are just waaay too powerful, and tehy actually are doing SOMETHING cultural, as the patchwork captured territories are connecting.

Spain down to two cities...

/me thinks: Let the inner warmonger come out!!

Old November 2, 2003, 21:09   #25
Theseus
Emperor

BTW, I don;t think I've ever seen the Mongols in the Modern Age before... WTF is Temujin wearing??!! Look closely...
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	au210 temujin.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	56484  

Old November 2, 2003, 21:31   #26
Tassadar500
Emperor

It looks like some cheap silk suit with metal dragons on it. WTF, is that the French Tricolor?
Old November 2, 2003, 21:39   #27
Theseus
Emperor

Check out the tie...

Old November 4, 2003, 21:20   #28
Theseus
Emperor

A last hurrah?
'Twas the night before Conquests, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a Tank;
The MechInfs were hung by the Spanish with care,
In hopes that more Armies would soon would be there...

What say, a last WHACK at the Ottomans before C3C?

The enemy units JUST in this screen shot are:

1660 AD Ottoman
Tank 13
Infantry 57
Marine 29
Guerrilla 1
Arty 1
Army 2
Sipahi 3
Total 106
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	au210 1660 otto.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	311.0 KB
ID:	56599