View Poll Results: Which building to sell?
The president may sell a building of his choice 3 33.33%
The president should sell city walls 2 22.22%
The president should sell libraries and university 0 0%
The president should sell aqueducts 0 0%
The president should sell bananas 4 44.44%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 5, 2003, 05:34   #1
Ljube
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 10:56
Local Date: November 2, 2010
The executive power
If we come in a situation where emergency funding is needed to finance a bribing attempt, should the president be allowed to sell certain improvements, and if yes, which?
Old October 5, 2003, 07:12   #2
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 21:56
Hmm, tricky poll, and hard decision to make.

What is our gold per turn income? Can we do without a few costly Banks and Markets and instead just replace them with maintenance-free and gold-earning Cathedrals and Colossea? If we can, then I say these go first. Otherwise Libraries and Universities, as these seem to be largely useless in Fundy unless we are still Xinning (are we?)

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old October 5, 2003, 07:28   #3
Ljube
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Total income 420, total cost 96, net income 324.
Pathetic really, but if we follow my building plan, we should get to 1000+ net gold per turn in no time.
Old October 5, 2003, 07:46   #4
shade
Civilization II Democracy Game
King

we aren't Xinning anymore.

atm we have >300G profit/turn if we have a gold shortage that could be solved with selling 1 or 2 or even 3 buildings we should just wait 1 turn. the costs to get those things back is way to high.

Selling Libraries and Universities then we really return to the stoneage, it now already takes 40 turns to get to a new tech...(because the sciencerate is at 20%=> so ofcourse those buildings look inefficient)

Shade
Old October 5, 2003, 08:53   #5
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 04:56
Selling markets and banks will make celebrations in Fundy harder, if not impossible. Also, their absence will rule out a switch to Republic or Demo (unlikely, I know, but some may still harbour dreams of a representative government).

Celebrations could bring in 1000+ cash/turn in Fundy... provided that we have the infrastructure.

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old October 5, 2003, 10:00   #6
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 11:56
Tough call, my €0.02:

1, City walls in 'safe' city's.
2, Baracks in city's who are not building units (eg too far from the railroad network or in need of Market/Bank)
3, Uni's, they are hardly worth the upkeep under Fundi.
4, Library's.

I would under no circumstances seel any monetary improvements.

One final note: As the President gets input and plans from all our ministers and the plans and wishes sometimes conflict I'd say let the President sell what he sees fit.
Old October 5, 2003, 13:08   #7
cavebear
Emperor

Local Time: 04:56
Since we are talking about emergency situations, we should not specify which structures the President should sell. And while the maintenance cost and selling value of a particular structure (say, Marketplace) is the same everywhere, a specific Marketplace may be less valuable in a city with few trade arrows than a less-desired Library in another city where there are many trade arrows.

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old October 6, 2003, 02:35   #8
rjmatsleepers
King

Local Time: 09:56
IMHO

The President is free to sell anything that has become obsolete - for example because we capture a wonder or we capture a city with a building that is made obsolete by one of our existing wonders.

In an emergency, when the President needs cash to react to a clear and present danger, he is free to sell anything he wants to.

Otherwise, the citizens should specifically assent to the sale of buildings in a recent poll.

RJM at Sleeper's
Old October 6, 2003, 12:34   #9
Zedd
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 05:56
If the president gets into that type of situation he or she should pause game play and post for the citizens to decide.