Old October 5, 2003, 18:14   #31
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 09:56
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I don't see what's so wrong with leet-speak, to be honest. Sure it's ugly, incomprehensible, irritating, boring, unfunny and 3 years out of fashion, but so are most of us.

Let he who is without 51|\| cast the first 570|\|e.
Old October 5, 2003, 18:15   #32
geeslaka
Prince

Local Time: 02:56
Quote:
1'd r47h3r b4n +1 7hr34d5 my53|f.
[translation]
I putting myself forward to be made into an example of what happens to people who over use leet.
[/translation]
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old October 5, 2003, 18:48   #33
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 03:56
I think this is not about the use of leet speak as such, but rather the attitude. Have you noticed how any time someone posts anything about what they don't like in these forums, the very first response will be like that, just because.

Asmodean says he doesn't like leet speek, the thread becomes instantly full of it.

Someone before posted they didn't like it when people used underlines, the very first response was fully underlined.

Even earlier, someone said it was rude to use all caps... Sure enough, all of the responses were all caps...

If I said that it hurts my eyes to read colored text, I'll bet some original character would post something in red, or better yet, in every color of the rainbow.

I think it just tells you a little something about the people that post here. Used every now and then, such approach may be funny, or would actually make a good point. But seriously, the way people do it here is just being rude and stupid, IMO.

[/rant off]

Now, as far as leet speek itself goes... I don't much like it and in fact normally get a very bad impression about the persons using it, but if it is not abused and only used for a joke's purpose every now and then, I'm fine with. Of course, like the saying goes: "A joke told once is funny; a joke told twice is boring; a joke told three times is stupid." Same goes for leet speek, I think. Sure, it's funny every now and then, but when everybody becomes a copycat, it gets unoriginal, boring, and often times quite annoying.
Spore page
Old October 5, 2003, 18:55   #34
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Does doing this make me rude and stupid, or just lazy because I couldn't be bothered to do it in every colour of the rainbow?
Old October 5, 2003, 18:57   #35
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Asmodean says he doesn't like leet speek, the thread becomes instantly full of it.

Someone before posted they didn't like it when people used underlines, the very first response was fully underlined.

Even earlier, someone said it was rude to use all caps... Sure enough, all of the responses were all caps...
Maybe it's because some people don't like whingers who try and dictate the manner in which other people should express themselves?
Old October 5, 2003, 18:57   #36
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 05:56

All three at once?
Old October 5, 2003, 19:00   #37
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
All three at once?
You might have something there.
Old October 5, 2003, 20:08   #38
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 11:56
Quote:
Originally posted by FrustratedPoet

Where did I get personal?
I was going to post this too but then reread your answer and I thing he means the fact that you called his post stupid.

Quote:
Maybe it's because some people don't like whingers who try and dictate the manner in which other people should express themselves?
Old October 5, 2003, 20:33   #39
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

No, it's not because they don't like the whiners. It's because they don't have the common curtesy or willingness to make the community pleasant for everybody. Imagine in real life: you are studying for a test. And I am your roommate. I turn up some Metallica. You tell me to turn it down, because you can't concentrate. What do I respond? "You whiner!" And turn the music up even louder.

Acceptable? Maybe. Good practice? Nope, because next time you find something annoying on these forums, I will take every opportunity to make you see it as often as possible.
Spore page
Old October 5, 2003, 20:44   #40
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Local Time: 04:56
Quote:
Originally posted by vovansim
No, it's not because they don't like the whiners. It's because they don't have the common curtesy or willingness to make the community pleasant for everybody. Imagine in real life: you are studying for a test. And I am your roommate. I turn up some Metallica. You tell me to turn it down, because you can't concentrate. What do I respond? "You whiner!" And turn the music up even louder.

Acceptable? Maybe. Good practice? Nope, because next time you find something annoying on these forums, I will take every opportunity to make you see it as often as possible.
Old October 5, 2003, 20:49   #41
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

So Vov, what if he's a punker and his mohawk disturbs you, should he get a haircut too?
(well he should, but that's beside the point )

-
Don't get me wrong, as I said before I really don't like Leet speak.
There is actually quite a lot I don't like (in general), can't ban them all, just accept it as a fast of life or hide in a cave somewhere with a mirror as your compagnon.
Old October 5, 2003, 21:01   #42
vovan
Emperor

Well, I don't think leet speek should be banned either. That wasn't really my point. I just wanted to point out the tendency to do things that annoy people on purpose as we have seen in this thread.
Spore page
Old October 5, 2003, 22:44   #43
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Let's ban American while we're at it.

So, at the risk at making myself stand out as an old geezer, I really think it is time that this issue came up.

More and more posters are using American in more and more posts. I (obviously) don't like this, and I'll give you a couple of reasons why:

1) It kills English. The language is getting raped by Americans who have absolutely no idea what they are doing. They may think it is cool and funny, but really all they are doing is kill the language. Some may argue that the language is evolving. I say no. It is getting stomped by barbarians.

2) It is plain ugly. There is no way around it. American looks hideous. It is revolting.

So I would really like to see Apolyton take a stance on this issue, and say NO to American. Other forums have done this. Let Apolyton be the next.

Tassadar
Old October 5, 2003, 23:40   #44
alva
Deity

What about Aussie speak!!

Nicely put Tass
Old October 6, 2003, 02:18   #45
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 21:56
Gee, aren't we taking things out of proportion

Asmodean's belief is perfectly valid. He abhores leet speak, and wishes to make a point about it to the moderators. Leet speak is spam. Spam spam, bloody spam.

If you want to look like a f**king prat, go ahead. I care not a jot for these people, being the English language nazi that I am.

And, quite frankly, what does American English have to do with it. Threads on "American English sucks arse" are few and far between, and doesn't annoy people as much as:

j00 15 p\/\/n3d! c0/\/\/\/\()n15/\/\ r0xx0rz!
Old October 6, 2003, 02:46   #46
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 17:56
Quote:
Originally posted by vovansim

Using underlining to emphasize is a carryover of typewriter days. There are proper ways of doing it now. In fact, both italics and boldface are far superior to underlining.
Old October 6, 2003, 04:11   #47
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 10:56
1337 speak enjoys the special protection of the administration and is, thus, not illegal on this site. Who wants, can get rid of the 1337iots himself. The ignore feature is there for a reason.
Old October 6, 2003, 04:49   #48
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Hehe that's going back a bit. I remember that thread........and actually made a post in it about the "freedom of expression" issue that mysteriously deleted itself.

I think looking back Ming would have less patience with that guy now.
Old October 6, 2003, 08:49   #49
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

It's much more fun to call the geeks and tell them to get a life.
Old October 6, 2003, 11:19   #50
Q Classic
Emperor

STFU N00B!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111

fp

in any case, it's impossible really to ban it, i suppose. much like how it's impossible to ban that bastard but beautifully spelled finnish tongue, or how some of these young'uns, y'know, the newer, greener posters, tend to just kinda spell language in ways that make u and ur brain totally crawl out ur skull...

Last edited by Q Classic; October 6, 2003 at 11:25.
Old October 6, 2003, 11:21   #51
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

lol rah u got pwned!
kthanxbye!
Old October 6, 2003, 11:37   #52
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Get a life

I guess my biggest problem with it is that I can't always figure out what it says.
Old October 6, 2003, 11:54   #53
DrSpike
Deity

That's ok, we don't understand your 1950s slang either.
Old October 6, 2003, 12:21   #54
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Let me know when you find one example of me using 50's slang. Feel free to post it. Or is this just another case of you not knowing what you're talking about?

RAH
Of course if you had said 60's...................
Old October 6, 2003, 12:25   #55
DrSpike
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
Let me know when you find one example of me using 50's slang. Feel free to post it. Or is this just another case of you not knowing what you're talking about?

RAH
Of course if you had said 60's...................
That's ok, we don't understand your 1960s slang either.
Old October 6, 2003, 15:55   #56
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

So a lot has happened in this thread, since I went to work this morning (smiley posted in case the images ever come back)

@ FP: I agree with you that calling my thread stupid perhaps wasn't getting too much personal, but then again, it all depends whether you want to treat people nicely or no. You obviously choose to be not so nice a person. Your choice, your loss.

@ Vovansim: Thanks for the support. I agree with you on all points.

@ Sir Ralph: Perhaps Ming didn't know about leet at the time. Perhaps the administration has changed their position on this. Who knows. I think Ming made his attitude towards leet very clear earlier in this thread. But you should probably ask him for clarification.

@ Tass: If your post was meant as a joke, it was a good one. If not, then let's continue this when I can see people's smileys and have a better feel for what in this thread is sarcasm and what was seriously meant.

Boy I raised some emotions with this, didn't I?

My intention was only to create attention to the fact that leet is an abomination. But okay. Apolyton will surprise you every day

Asmodean
Old October 6, 2003, 16:07   #57
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by Asmodean
@ Tass: If your post was meant as a joke, it was a good one.
Thank you *Insert grin smiley here*
Old October 6, 2003, 16:47   #58
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike
That's ok, we don't understand your 1960s slang either.
You fell for that one too. I dare you to find an example of that either. Which you won't.

Now if you had said 70's..............................

RAH

Hmmm, any bets on whether he'll fall for this one too?
Old October 6, 2003, 16:49   #59
Rasbelin
Emperor

Added a nice quotation to my siggy in order to support l33t sp33|<.
Old October 6, 2003, 17:21   #60
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Refer to my first post