Old July 21, 2000, 00:01   #1
DarthVeda
Emperor

Local Time: 02:01
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Kyokujitsu Preview: DAY FOUR
Status Report: Units draft complete, maps nearing completion, expect playtesting to begin Monday, August 1st.

Author's comments: Author living, breathing, sleeping AND eating Kyokujitsu.

Today's Revelation: The Economic System, Part I

When I first set out to create Kyokujitsu, I wanted to create a scenario that would emphasize the importance of natural resource capture. Through innovations discovered in the past year, and through Test of Time's own new events and flags, I am able to tweak the gameplay of Civilization II like you have never seen before!

Well, might as well get it out. In Kyokujitsu, you will NOT build any of your units. They will ALL be events created.

Horror!

Terror!

Unspeakable!

Fear not though, you will decide what kind of units you want. Hows that you ask? Through the technology screen.

Now, in regular Civ2, each of your cities builds its own units and produces fairly independently on its own, which produces more of a city-state effect rather than a sense of national unity. In the real military world, units just don't appear complete from one city, and it usually takes the resources of an entire nation to produce unique units. In Kyokujitsu, this will be the case.

Your cities will be unable to produce units, but will be able to produce National Industrial Poinds (N.I.P. if you prefer). Basically, capitalization.

Each month your forces will convene for a conference and you will decide what kind of units you want. You will have several chances to choose different units and the production amount. Depending on the type of unit, they will withdraw more N.I.P. from your national account.

Large and extravagent units like carriers, battleships, and other capital ships will take several turns to complete. Each of those turns they will withdraw N.I.P. from your accounts. Overdraw and you will face factory closings and worse. Obviously as your industrial abilities increase, the more you will be able to buy in a single turn during the conference.
Old July 21, 2000, 00:13   #2
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

I might just brave the elements in search of ToT just for this scenario DV...and if I die out there, I swear I'll blame you and never talk to you again!
Old July 21, 2000, 02:32   #3
Eternal
King

Local Time: 01:01
This sounds pretty damn cool, Darth. I think I'll join Mao on this. I'm going to look on Ebay, see how cheap I can get TOT.

I'm also going to diverge from the traditional way of unit creation for the scenario I'm working on right now. The way it is in my head now, you won't be able to produce units cause they'll be so freaking expensive, but each turn you will get several Supply units which you can disband to get reinforcements/ replacements. By doing this, you can see the importance of supply routes and lines of communication, and you'll have to gaurd them or NATO aircraft and Bundesheer guerillas will totally mess you up. Has this ever been done?
Old July 21, 2000, 03:07   #4
Evil Capitalist
King

Local Time: 06:01
If we're talking about innovations I think I'm the first to do this:

In v2 of my Cold war scenario I'm using the events to give a new tech at the begining of each year that'll allow access to new techs, preventing you getting T54s before 1953 for example.
Old July 21, 2000, 22:21   #5
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Eternal, due to your comments, I assume your scenario will not be for ToT? WooHoo!