Old October 7, 2003, 22:22   #1
Tassadar500
Emperor

Local Time: 03:05
Local Date: November 2, 2010
AU Comments/Suggestions/Complaints Thread
This is the thread to post in if you have comments, suggestion or complaints about the AU.
Old October 8, 2003, 01:28   #2
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

Local Time: 06:05
This is a comment

Maybe have a thread that lists the ongoing AU games and what stage they are in with links.

For a newbie that would be helpful

Thanks
Old October 8, 2003, 07:29   #3
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 05:05
We have...

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=83557

--Kon--
Old October 8, 2003, 11:37   #4
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

Local Time: 10:05
I have a comment, though perhaps my comment should be disregarded, as I never have had enough time to play an AU game to completion.

The DAR are great if you follow a game from the get go... but once the game's been going on for some time, it's nearly impossible, time-wise, to follow the whole thing, especially where images are at times lacking. The level of detail is, in other words, a bit much.

Of course, the DAR originated in response to lack of detail, and I certainly think the DAR is valuable, and good. But with so many different threads, and so many different DARs, it's a bit intimidating to follow the AU games. And if you can't follow the AU games, how can you learn from them?

That said, it looks as though everyone is having a good time, which is the most important thing. So take my comment lightly, if at all.
Old October 8, 2003, 11:43   #5
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Konquest02
We have...

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=83557

--Kon--
Great thread! I checked that out, all Im asking is maybe add to that thread the status fo the AU game.

For example a completed AU game would be:

AU 101-bla bla bla description-completed fall 2002

Ongoing would would be:

AU506-bla bla description-Started OCT 8, 2003-ongoing

Thats all Im saying and it is only a suggestion.

Thanks
Old October 8, 2003, 12:13   #6
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 04:05
At least at a conceptual level, there is no such thing as a "completed" AU game. Newcomers are always welcome to go back and play the old ones and to add their results to the threads. (Admittedly, in practice, different patch levels can get in the way in pre-PTW games.)

If the games are (or would be) listed in chronological order rather than by course number, providing start dates would indicate not only when each game started but when the next one after it started. The last game on the list would be the current one.
Old October 8, 2003, 12:42   #7
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 04:05
Quote:
Originally posted by Yahweh Sabaoth
The DAR are great if you follow a game from the get go... but once the game's been going on for some time, it's nearly impossible, time-wise, to follow the whole thing, especially where images are at times lacking. The level of detail is, in other words, a bit much.
I see where you're coming from, but lowering the level of detail to make it easier for more casual readers to follow the games would undercut AU's value for more serious scholars (including both newcomers who want a fairly clear picture of how the experts operate and experts who like to watch each other at work). Apolyton University, like most universities, is geared more toward serious students than toward people who just want to sit in on a class session every now and then.

Nathan
Old October 8, 2003, 14:16   #8
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I agree that without the detail, they will not be of all that much value. You would be better off to read from the sotries section.

I wonder if what the answer is to the"completed questions" is to have a summurized page after the game has been finished by the the people that started it at the beginning.
IOW take one of the finished runs and make a "completed AUxxx" with only that game and maybe remove the chit chat from the thread.
This would give all late comers a place to go to see one full run and no side tracking. This could be useful to even those that followed all the way. They may come back 2 months later and want to read one complete run.
The problem is if that is a good idea, who is going to do the work to make a thread and pull in all the pieces?
Old October 8, 2003, 15:18   #9
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
I agree that without the detail, they will not be of all that much value. You would be better off to read from the sotries section.

I wonder if what the answer is to the"completed questions" is to have a summurized page after the game has been finished by the the people that started it at the beginning.
IOW take one of the finished runs and make a "completed AUxxx" with only that game and maybe remove the chit chat from the thread.
This would give all late comers a place to go to see one full run and no side tracking. This could be useful to even those that followed all the way. They may come back 2 months later and want to read one complete run.
The problem is if that is a good idea, who is going to do the work to make a thread and pull in all the pieces?
Actually I'm planning to do just that with my completed run of AU209. I'll be writing an entire AAR in one thread instead of spread out through the DAR threads. That's why it will take me a little while before I post it. I want to write out the entire thing and post in succession so it's not spread out with chit chat.
Old October 8, 2003, 15:56   #10
vmxa1
Deity

Sounds good. Take Au208 as an example. If someone were to go into that thread and copy/paste one of the games into its own thread and then link it in the History thread, that would be a nice complete game for others.
I think nbarclay played it on emperor and finished, that would be a good choice. If later others come along and play 208, they would be encourage to post in the original thread and leave the completed thread alone.
The editor could skip over the non relevant post and include any that brought out useful information (regardless of who posted it).
Now what is good about some of the later stuff is that saves were posted along the way.
Old October 8, 2003, 16:59   #11
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Yeah, IIRC, nathan crushed it. But I thought he played it on Monarch.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old October 8, 2003, 17:01   #12
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
Yeah, IIRC, nathan crushed it. But I thought he played it on Monarch.

-Arrian
No he was on emperor. Both he and MS crushed it. I hit a stopping point on India when my forces started dying in droves attacked by all four of the remaining civs.
Old October 8, 2003, 17:49   #13
vmxa1
Deity

Forget about who crushed it, what do think of that idea?
Old October 8, 2003, 17:52   #14
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

I think it's a great idea!! We'll have to get badams52 in here though to edit his AU History post once it's done.
Old October 8, 2003, 18:05   #15
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

So does anyone feel like taking on the job of consolidating Nathan's and Mountain Sage's AU208 posts into one thread each? Another one to do would be Catt's Au204 AAR. Theseus has a link to the whole thread, but to get to it you have to wade through a bunch of other stuff.
Old October 8, 2003, 18:26   #16
vmxa1
Deity

It will probably have to wait until after they fix the issue with the last post and the down load. If they get it corrected soon, I will take a stab at AU208, but I think I will just pick one unless there is a compelling reason to do more. My thinking is that one good one per game is enough for educatiopnal value. Maybe if there was a significant lession in another one?

PS it is not as if all of them will disappear, they are still the original thread.
Old October 8, 2003, 18:29   #17
vmxa1
Deity

Oh and I think we should get a thumbs up from the dean, first. I leave it to someone else to handle the links.
Old October 8, 2003, 20:13   #18
vmxa1
Deity

Ok I have culled the text from nathans run. BTW you are correct Arrian, it was on Monarch.
I chose it over MS as MS posted only a few times. The first post was very good, but I had already done much of the stuff on the other run. I cannot get the pix at this time.

I think if another were chosen, it should be Dom's has it has more details and useful thoughts. He abandon, but had made a great run at emperor.
Old October 8, 2003, 20:36   #19
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Oops I was almost positive he played that game on emperor. Oh well.
Old October 8, 2003, 22:09   #20
Tassadar500
Emperor

See why I started this thread? But anyway the idea is to start a thead for each AU course morphing all the person's DAR's together?
Old October 8, 2003, 22:55   #21
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Master
See why I started this thread? But anyway the idea is to start a thead for each AU course morphing all the person's DAR's together?
Yep, that's it. Probably one or two people's AARs/DARs for each course. I'll take care of my own thread for AU209 when I can get around to writing it (assuming people want to use mine, but I intend to go fairly in depth while writing it).

And good idea to start this thread by the way. I like your new avatar too.
Old October 8, 2003, 23:52   #22
Tassadar500
Emperor

Ok well I definatly approve of the idea. The simplest thing would be for me or Rhoth to just choose the people we think have the best DAR's and stick them into a thread. So anyone else have any thing they want to talk about?
Old October 9, 2003, 03:10   #23
vmxa1
Deity

That will be a fair amount of work Nuclear Master.
Why not start threads and name the ones you want in them. Them you can do it or others may step up.
I already have one ready, once I an get the darn downloads to work for the pix.
Old October 9, 2003, 10:51   #24
Tassadar500
Emperor

I don't see how it is so much work?
Old October 9, 2003, 13:17   #25
vmxa1
Deity

Fair enough, then why isn't done? Just kidding. I will bow out then, sorry to get ahead of myself.
Old October 9, 2003, 19:22   #26
Tassadar500
Emperor

It's no problem. I will make the thread for the current AU course when it finishes
Old October 10, 2003, 01:27   #27
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

If anyone is interested I have a roughly 24 part DAR that I've almost finished for a Boot Camp game on MZO. I still have to write the last seven parts, but the game itself is finished (domination win at 990bc). I can also post it here too if people are interested in seeing how I tend to write DARs.
Old October 10, 2003, 01:52   #28
vmxa1
Deity

I always like to read a good DAR, althought it won;t help me write or make me change my ways.
Old October 10, 2003, 01:56   #29
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Okay as long as people are interested I'll try and get it finished up and posted by the weekend. It has some tips/tricks, and basically how I played the game and why I did what I did.
Old October 20, 2003, 00:02   #30
Tassadar500
Emperor

*bump*