Old October 7, 2003, 23:48   #31
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 04:05
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Gary Coleman had a detailed plan to get California back on track.

Does Ahnold?
Old October 7, 2003, 23:49   #32
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 19:05
@ Californians, again proving themselves to be the stupidest most celebrity obsessed morons on the planet.
Old October 7, 2003, 23:50   #33
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 02:05
Also keep in mind that some of the last precincts to report in will be those six without the new computerized systems - four counties with high minority populations, and two of the most populous in the state. It should be interesting to see how the final numbers shape up.
Old October 7, 2003, 23:50   #34
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 10:05
Heck, Mary Carey had a better plan than Arnie.

B AH!
Old October 7, 2003, 23:51   #35
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 03:05
I seem to remember the 2000 election declaring early that Bush was the winner based on exit polls

and we all know that Bush did not win that election
Old October 7, 2003, 23:51   #36
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Agathon
@ Californians, again proving themselves to be the stupidest most celebrity obsessed morons on the planet.
And the state of California's economic output exceeds Canada's by how much again?
Old October 7, 2003, 23:53   #37
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 06:05
This circus has already made me feel better.
Old October 7, 2003, 23:54   #38
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by gopher
Why did people vote for him?
I, and many other people, voted for him because he is not Davis. The Democratic party has run this state into the ground and now we want anyone who didn't take part in driving up our taxes to take over. It's that simple.

Davis and Bustamonte drove up energy costs by refusing to allow new power plants until after the energy crisis, they drove up workers comp insurence to the highest level in the industrial world by letting the unions write the laws, they spent us into bankruptcy as they paid off their special interest contributors, they made the state's already poor educational system worse by letting the teacher's unions write rule and avoid accountability, they cut education and social spending so they could give still more money to special interests yet we ended up with the largest deficite in the history of the state, and we're losing jobs by the tens of thousands because Davis has never seen a regulation or a tax which he didn't like.

As things stand we'd vote for satan because at least satan isn't Davis.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old October 7, 2003, 23:56   #39
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Damn.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old October 7, 2003, 23:58   #40
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
You never fail to amaze me with your stupidity. Yes, everyone in California is so stupid and that's why we make the highest per capita income of any industrialized society on Earth. That's why millions of people come here each year and that's why a tremendous portion of the world's new technologies are invented here. It most certainly is also why we have the hands down best public university system on Earth and we're so stupid we've even rejected your much loved, if failed, communist ideology.

Then again maybe we're not the stupid ones and you are.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old October 7, 2003, 23:59   #41
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 05:05
Would you people chill...

Let's stop the personal insults...
Old October 8, 2003, 00:03   #42
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 04:05
I will laugh when it becomes apparent in a few months that Arnold is not going to be any more able to fix the problems in CA than Davis was.

Also, it looks like "being a cast member in Predator" seems to be a good first step towards being elected as a governor.
Old October 8, 2003, 00:07   #43
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I thought that the problem with California's energy was deregulation, which the previous governor passed. By allowing middle men to reduce the profits of energy producers deregualtion reduced the incentive to build new power plants.

Who passed the deregulation of the energy industry?
Old October 8, 2003, 00:07   #44
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Anyway, I think this was a good thing. Turnout was very heavy, so a large majority of registered voters expressed their opinion on the matter. There's no better occurence in a democracy.
I heard the turn-out for the last election was low and this time much, much higher. And yet I hear opponents of the recall argue this was "undemocratic". Huh?
Old October 8, 2003, 00:08   #45
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ixnay
I will laugh when it becomes apparent in a few months that Arnold is not going to be any more able to fix the problems in CA than Davis was.

Also, it looks like "being a cast member in Predator" seems to be a good first step towards being elected as a governor.
Yeah, ridiculous isn't it. At least McClintock had some political credibility. I was secretly hoping that Arnie would win. I mean when one ignorant, totally incompetent, corrupt individual with a shady background manages to get elected to high office without saying anything of substance it's perhaps an accident.

Two is a trend!!!

I'm glad this has no effect on my life. Or perhaps it will. I hear that Arnie wants to stop Hollywood making movies in Canada. This means I won't have to continually walk around snotty arsed film crews at uni, which is a definite plus to me.
Old October 8, 2003, 00:10   #46
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 10:05
Californian university system the best in the world?
Old October 8, 2003, 00:12   #47
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Actually, if you look at the county by county breakdown, I wouldn't be so optimistic about Arnold's chances. Certainly not enough to conclude he has it in the bank.

The only high population urban counties that have reported in heavily as of 8 pm are Contra Costa, San Bernardino and Riverside, which are all relatively conservative. LA and San Francisco, Alameda County (Oakland and Berkeley) Sacramento and San Diego County have 0% of precincts reporting.
Old October 8, 2003, 00:15   #48
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
Californian university system the best in the world?
UCLA, San Diego, Stanford and Berkeley are pretty good (Stanford is not part of the system IIRC). But once you go down from them it gets pretty dire pretty quick. Still not a patch on the good schools back east though.

And the high school system is a joke.
Old October 8, 2003, 00:15   #49
Berzerker
Emperor

Quote:
I thought that the problem with California's energy was deregulation, which the previous governor passed. By allowing middle men to reduce the profits of energy producers deregualtion reduced the incentive to build new power plants.

It wasn't "de-regulation". Producers couldn't pass off their costs by charging consumers market rates. How does de-regulation allow middlemen to reduce the profits of producers?
Old October 8, 2003, 00:17   #50
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
Actually, if you look at the county by county breakdown, I wouldn't be so optimistic about Arnold's chances. Certainly not enough to conclude he has it in the bank.

The only high population urban counties that have reported in heavily as of 8 pm are Contra Costa, San Bernardino and Riverside, which are all relatively conservative. LA and San Francisco, Alameda County (Oakland and Berkeley) Sacramento and San Diego County have 0% of precincts reporting.
You're sounding desperately hopeful there Michael.

I wouldn't be too down in the mouth if Arnie wins. It shows that voters will come out to get incompetent economy wreckers and Bush is nothing if not one of those.
Old October 8, 2003, 00:17   #51
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove

The Democrat dominated legislature and former Governor Wilson.

Deregulation, or realistically, restructuring, did not in the least reduce the incentive to build, and was not a significant contributor to the energy crisis. In California, taking a large, utility scale power plant from internal proposal to commercial operation is about a ten year process, with another five years or so involved in utility resource planning etc. if it's a utility project.

A lot of factors contributed to it, but NIMBY and BANANAs combined with a surplus of importable power prior to deregulating, and poor planning over the previous two decades by the regulated utilities.
Old October 8, 2003, 00:21   #52
Berzerker
Emperor

Bustamante gives a speech rejoicing over the defeat of prop 54 and says we need to strive for a color blind society but we can't put blinders on government. ******* Orwel is alive!
Wtf does that mean? Oh, we want a color blind society but government wants to know the color of everyone's skin? Why? PREFERENTIAL TREATMENT?
Old October 8, 2003, 00:23   #53
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

sigh... I'm glad I don't live in that dope state... the Repugs succeed in their power grab.
Old October 8, 2003, 00:28   #54
Berzerker
Emperor

My Sis works for PG@E (is that the one? ) and she said the utilities were forced to sell off production assets (breaking up monopolies) and then producers were told how much to charge consumers even if the cost didn't cover their costs. She also said utilities people went to Davis something like 6 months before the crisis began and told him a crisis was coming and he ignored their warning.
Old October 8, 2003, 00:28   #55
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:

You're sounding desperately hopeful there Michael.

I wouldn't be too down in the mouth if Arnie wins. It shows that voters will come out to get incompetent economy wreckers and Bush is nothing if not one of those.
Not at all. My absentee ballot (despite being a partisan Democrat) was cast for Arnold.

But it's stupid to predict results while having no info on the most highly populated and several of the most heavily liberal counties.

The Davis campaign, and the California and national Democratic Party Oberkommando just don't ****ing get it. Bringing Gore out here to stand with Davis and whine about the vast right wing conspiracyTM machine out stealing elections was the worst thing the Dems could have done to either retain Davis or elect Bustamante.

Don't listen to the electorate, don't pay attention to their concerns, avoid taking responsibility, and just get together among your self-appointed party elite and decide what you're going to preach to the electorate while you have a nice little circle-jerk. That's the way the Dems have been doing it for a long time, and the leadership doesn't deserve to be subsidized by people voting for their candidates who toe that party line.
Old October 8, 2003, 00:32   #56
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Quote:

Carl Weathers for governor!
Old October 8, 2003, 00:33   #57
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Of course he won't be. He's not God, and he's not a dictator, so he still has the legislature to deal with.

The important part is Davis getting the axe for his non-performance, and hopefully that will send a message to everyone else statewide that you will perform, or be held accountable.

Now we just have to find someone else to recall, just to prove that it wasn't a one-off fluke, so the rest of the elected *******s start looking over their shoulders.

Who's next?
Old October 8, 2003, 00:35   #58
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
sigh... I'm glad I don't live in that dope state... the Repugs succeed in their power grab.
I'm glad you don't live there either. If you think one of eight state offices, and minorities in both legislative houses constitutes a "power grab," then you're the type of gullible voter both parties have fed off of for decades, and California already has plenty of those. Maybe they've awoken for once.
Old October 8, 2003, 00:41   #59
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
The important part is Davis getting the axe for his non-performance, and hopefully that will send a message to everyone else statewide that you will perform, or be held accountable.
Too bad voters had their chance to do so less than a year ago, and only 6 months before the recall shenanigans began when Californians RE-ELECTED Davis in a legitimate election. I'm not sure 6 months is long enough for Davis to do anything. Sure, he was governor before... but if the people didn't want him, they shouldn't have re-elected him.

There is accountability, that's why we have regular elections... this wasn't about accountability... it's about a popular movie star and a campaign run by savvy, career politicians exploiting a dusty, old recall procedure.

This was an educating experience for me though. I did learn that there are a few conservatives who aren't salivating over a power grab and do have some integrity. George Will, Jesse Ventura, and even Bush were against the recall. Pay attention folks, this is a rare time where I will compliment Bush.
Old October 8, 2003, 00:42   #60
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

There's no sense voting for Arnold. He won't be able to do anything. I believe he could be effective if he had a majority in the state legislatures. But he doesn't. The democrats will never let him do anything. He will be a worthless governor because of it.

Bustamante was the best way to go. Sure he wouldn't have been a great governor, but he would have been better than Davis.