Old October 8, 2003, 00:46   #61
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 03:05
Local Date: November 2, 2010
what really sucks is they won't make a terminator 4

if you saw how they ended terminator 3 you would realize they have to have another one.

Arnold just may be too old after he's done with this politics thing.

You can't have a 70 year old looking cyborg
Old October 8, 2003, 00:48   #62
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 04:05
People in BC recently devastated the governing party. I think the NDP dropped to 3 or 4 seats from a majority, or something like that. In the previous election the NDP went in as the governing party. They told some big lies about the state of the provinces finances. They won. I can guarantee that many people in BC wish they had recall and did not have to wait 4 or 5 years to beat the snot out of the lying rat bastards.
Old October 8, 2003, 00:49   #63
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

gray davis is now conceding at this moment.

does california also get a new lt. governor or is Bustamante still the lt. governor?
Old October 8, 2003, 00:57   #64
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Local Time: 05:05
Time to start the Arnold recall campaign! Who's with me?
Old October 8, 2003, 01:17   #65
DarthVeda
Emperor

Local Time: 06:05
I said it before and I'll say it again:

I'M THE GUVNAH, YOU EEEDIIIOOTTT!!!!
Old October 8, 2003, 01:23   #66
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
gray davis is now conceding at this moment.

does california also get a new lt. governor or is Bustamante still the lt. governor?

Bustamante is still LT governor
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old October 8, 2003, 01:24   #67
DarthVeda
Emperor

Until he is replaced speedily
Old October 8, 2003, 01:27   #68
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

now comes the important question.

Will congress or the courts change the law to allow a foreign born man to run for president of the United States?

Interestingly, I think 4 or 5 of the first U.S. presidents weren't born in the U.S.
Old October 8, 2003, 01:30   #69
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

You want to know what's surrel. A bunch of Kennedy faces celebrating the election of a Republican
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old October 8, 2003, 01:32   #70
DarthVeda
Emperor

Quote:

Will congress or the courts change the law to allow a foreign born man to run for president of the United States?

Interestingly, I think 4 or 5 of the first U.S. presidents weren't born in the U.S.
Yes! The prophecy of DEMOLITION MAN must be fulfilled!
Old October 8, 2003, 01:33   #71
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 02:05
Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
Too bad voters had their chance to do so less than a year ago, and only 6 months before the recall shenanigans began when Californians RE-ELECTED Davis in a legitimate election. I'm not sure 6 months is long enough for Davis to do anything. Sure, he was governor before... but if the people didn't want him, they shouldn't have re-elected him.
"The people" aren't given a choice in any pragmatic sense. You had Davis, again, or a right wing social conservative with controversial business dealings - and he almost beat Davis anyway.

Quote:
There is accountability, that's why we have regular elections... this wasn't about accountability... it's about a popular movie star and a campaign run by savvy, career politicians exploiting a dusty, old recall procedure.
A guaranteed four years of employment, then a bunch of special interests coughing up millions so you can BS your way through to reelection is not accountability.

Quote:
This was an educating experience for me though. I did learn that there are a few conservatives who aren't salivating over a power grab and do have some integrity. George Will, Jesse Ventura, and even Bush were against the recall. Pay attention folks, this is a rare time where I will compliment Bush.
Integrity my ass. Ventura - hell, he would have been the target of a recall in all likelihood. And most career politicians oppose the notion of a recall simply because it means they have to consider how the common rabble will react to their policies over their entire terms, not just the last six months leading up to reelection.

It's the lack of accountability and lack of popular opportunity to impose changes in the political system that has led to the two party stranglehold in American politics in the first place.
Old October 8, 2003, 01:33   #72
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Quote:
where'd you get that idea? US CON says you have to be an American by birth. It's in the excutive branch article.

Washington was born in Virginia
Adams was born in Massachusetts
Jefferson was born in Virginia too.
James Madison was another Virginia boy
James Monroe was also born in Virginia.

Now if Virginia isn't part of the US, then yes, you are correct.
Old October 8, 2003, 01:34   #73
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 12:05
Quote:
That's why I was confused, I was pretty sure you couldn't but they kept saying on local news that he could run for president in a couple of years.
-
What's the deal with Leno btw?
Old October 8, 2003, 01:37   #74
DarthVeda
Emperor

I think if they've been a citizen for more than 25 years they should be eligible to run for President.
Old October 8, 2003, 01:39   #75
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:

They weren't "born in the US" because there wasn't a US to be born in at the time they were born.

And it's the US Constitution, that has the natural born citizen requirement, so no dice.
Old October 8, 2003, 01:41   #76
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 12:05
Why exactly is this so?
Old October 8, 2003, 01:41   #77
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by monkspider
Time to start the Arnold recall campaign! Who's with me?
Not yet. You have to wait until the election result is certified and he's sworn in. He isn't subject to the Cal. Elections Code recall provisions until then.
Old October 8, 2003, 01:44   #78
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Well Congress could call for it to be changed if both sides get a 2/3 majority and then the states ratify it. But I don't Ah nuld has that many years left in him to get it ratified before he's 80
Old October 8, 2003, 01:45   #79
H Tower

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

Not yet. You have to wait until the election result is certified and he's sworn in. He isn't subject to the Cal. Elections Code recall provisions until then.
You can always start collecting signatures, it's not like people put a date next to their John Hancock
Old October 8, 2003, 01:45   #80
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DarthVeda

Yes! The prophecy of DEMOLITION MAN must be fulfilled!
exactly. that is what I was thinking of.
Old October 8, 2003, 01:47   #81
The Vagabond
Prince

Local Time: 10:05
All this recall campaign and Arnie's victory constitute a triumph of irresponsible populism. Californians should be ashamed of themselves.
Old October 8, 2003, 01:47   #82
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by alva
Why exactly is this so?
The original Federal system was pretty limited in power by design, because of an intense distrust by the state delegations of any central authority.

Their concern undoubtedly was with a national born in and perhaps still loyal to one of the major European powers assuming the Presidency and then steering US foreign policy (one of the few jobs originally entrusted to the Federal executive branch) in favor of that power.

Election to Congress or appointment to the Supreme Court have no such native birth requirements - only the offices of the President and Vice President. Even cabinet members or the Speaker of the House or President Pro Tempore of the Senate may be naturalized US citizens, but if they are (for example, Madeleine Albright), they forfeit their position in the order of sucession to the office of the Presidency should the President and Vice President both be incapacitated.
Old October 8, 2003, 01:47   #83
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

They weren't "born in the US" because there wasn't a US to be born in at the time they were born.

And it's the US Constitution, that has the natural born citizen requirement, so no dice.
Hey someone got it.
Old October 8, 2003, 01:50   #84
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by The Vagabond
All this recall campaign and Arnie's victory constitute a triumph of irresponsible populism. Californians should be ashamed of themselves.
Then stay in Russia. Yeah, how dare us ****ing common rabble who pay taxes actually exercise some control over the *******s who the grand party elites decide we get to pick from for elected office.

Maybe, if you don't live or work in California, you should concern yourself with your politics, not ours.
Old October 8, 2003, 01:50   #85
The Mad Monk
Emperor

...and in other news, Larry Flint is leading with ~5100 votes over Gary Coleman with ~4200 votes, and Mary Carey with ~3000 votes.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old October 8, 2003, 01:53   #86
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by H Tower

You can always start collecting signatures, it's not like people put a date next to their John Hancock
Yep, they have to. And they're subject to random test. You could at least start an organization and start collecting money from dopes dumb enough to contribute, though.

I'll let you guys know where to send your money in a couple of days.
Old October 8, 2003, 01:54   #87
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

The Constitution says you have to be born here, but that provision will get ignored under certain circumstances. Barry Goldwater wasn't born in the USA but had he won in '64, no one would have tried to deny him the office. But we won't see that provision ignored in Arnie's case...
Old October 8, 2003, 01:57   #88
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Why not?
Old October 8, 2003, 01:58   #89
notyoueither
Deity

... and why was your Constitution ignored for Goldwater?
Old October 8, 2003, 02:02   #90
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

He was born in the Arizona "territory" shortly before it became a state. Why did he ignore it? Well, I suppose his situation was viewed as a technicality that shouldn't prevent him from taking office since AZ was a territory of the US under congressional jurisdiction. Sort of like someone born in the district of Colombia...