Old October 8, 2003, 13:07   #151
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 02:05
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Arnie takes office once the election is certified. First the counties have to certify, then the Sec. State. Counties have 25 days to certify. The whole process must be done in 39 days.

Arnie's people are talking about taking power in two weeks. Gray Davis said he would leave office in "several weeks." Jesse Jackson, though, was talking "disenfranchisement" and "lawsuit." He may lead an effort to raise court challenges in some counties, or demand recounts, in order to block certification as long as possible.

Just let me say that if the Dem's do that, it will create even further anger against their party in the state.

As to next year, if Arnie does well, Bush could carry "Kali"-fornia.
The Dem voters in California have long made up their minds about Jesse Jackson, one way or another. Any lawsuit isn't going to affect the party at all.

Quote:
Arnie is extremely popular because he is very pro-business and pro-jobs while having no social-conservative baggage. If Bush learns from Arnie and adopts the same approach, he could win here.
Certainly the Republican party would do better in many states if it moderated it's social conservative policies. But that ain't gonna happen until there's a fundamental change in the GOP's internal balance of power, so it sure ain't gonna happen for Bush in 2004.

It's gonna be "it's the economy, stupid," all over again.
Old October 8, 2003, 13:11   #152
pchang
King

Local Time: 10:05
70% voter turnout
I have never seen voter turnout this high. Whatever one might have thought about the recall, the high voter turnout is a good thing. Perhaps all elections should be recalls. It was also the most choice I have ever had in a general election. Primaries should be abolished.

If social security were private, it would be prosecuted as a Ponzi scheme.
Old October 8, 2003, 13:13   #153
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Local Time: 11:05
Eat this Democrats!
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old October 8, 2003, 13:14   #154
Kropotkin
Emperor

Local Time: 12:05
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
K, yes, verily. I think people know that if you have no business you have no jobs. The Democrat party has a reputation for being anti-business.
'Pro-jobs' is a pointless term, it's quite a lot like 'pro-life' or 'pro-choice' in the debate about abortions. Eupheonisms shouldn't really be used to describe a policy or ideology. That's propaganda.
Old October 8, 2003, 13:14   #155
Japher
Emperor

Nex step state senate...
Old October 8, 2003, 13:16   #156
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Have they counted the absentee ballots yet?
Old October 8, 2003, 13:16   #157
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Hmmm, I remember certain people saying Arnie would never win and Bustamante was a done deal .

Anyway, it's interesting to see that Schwartzenegger got almost 50% of the vote with McClintock getting 13%. I'm thinking Cruz was tarred with the brush of Davis.
Gore and the vast right wing conspiracy, more than Davis himself.

Davis and the Cali Dem party proved once again that the Democratic party leadership knows how to self-destruct better than any political party in the world.

If you followed the poll numbers daily, the support for the recal and Bustamante's position vis-a-vis Arnie moved inversely in proportion to the volume of Davis' campaign spiel.

When Davis was shufflin' and rolling his eyes and pawin' the ground at those town hall meetings, saying "I's sorry, nex' time I gwine listen to y'all fo' sho'" support for the recall went down sharply, and Bustamante polled 5 points or so ahead of Arnie.

When the Dem Party elites got together and decided let's bring out Al Gore and Feinstein and Clinton and every other big name we can buy, and all claim "IT'S A VAST RIGHT WING CONSPIRACY TO STEAL ELECTIONS THEY COULDN'T WIN" the voters got turned off en masse.

Once again, Davis refusing to accept responsibility.

Once again, Davis trying to shift blame to some remote out of state force

Once again, Davis proving he knew nothing and cared less about the concerns of California voters.

And because you had all the party machinery spewing out this line of BS, and basically insulting the intelligence of the voters (it's the economy, stupid), Bustamente decided not to buck the party establishment any further and stuck with this "no on the recall" crap instead of pushing himself away from the morons in the Democratic Party Oberkommando.
Old October 8, 2003, 13:20   #158
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Primaries
Quote:
Originally posted by pchang
Primaries should be abolished.
Primaries are the one tool the state and county party organization have to throttle real choice as to candidates.
Old October 8, 2003, 13:22   #159
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 05:05
Kropotkin:

Quote:
it's quite a lot like 'pro-life' or 'pro-choice' in the debate about abortions
Not at all. Both sides have clearly delineated ideologies.

'Pro-business' is much more squishy.

Ned:

Quote:
To win here as a Republican, you really have to be at least in the middle on abortion and the environment, but have to hammer the pro-business, pro-job line.
Tell me how you sit the fence on abortion. I agree with most of your points, but to win in California, you have to be pro-abortion, nothing moderate about that.

Quote:
What I am suggesting is that Arnold is the prototype for the Republican party's future. Conservative on fiscal affairs. Pro business. Pro jobs. Pro strong America. But moderate to liberal on social issues.
That would be the dream for the Democrats. Prolifers vote very solidly Republican, so there is very little cause for the Republicans to move to the left, when the left in most of the US does not rank abortion policy as a priority. It would only hurt the Republicans to follow Arnie's stance nationally.
Old October 8, 2003, 13:24   #160
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

MichaeltheGreat:
If the Dems were not so stupid they could have saved themselves this defeat. Oh well. Maybe next time they will learn.

On anter note. I sent by absentee ballot in the mail on Friday. Just hoped that it got there on time and will get counted.
Old October 8, 2003, 13:26   #161
Japher
Emperor

Quote:
Tell me how you sit the fence on abortion.
You say something like "I am pro-choice, but if it were my decision I would not encourage nor condone abortion acts. Every effort needs to be made to tackle the reasons why people may want to get an abortion and not the medical facilities the offer the treatment, or the cure..."

Or something...
Old October 8, 2003, 13:31   #162
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
"I am pro-choice, but if it were my decision I would not encourage nor condone abortion acts. Every effort needs to be made to tackle the reasons why people may want to get an abortion and not the medical facilities the offer the treatment, or the cure..."
Sorry, you'd qualify as a staunch pro-abort. The key is the weasel words, 'if it were my decision.' If you really believed that abortions should not be done, you would not be pro-choice.
Old October 8, 2003, 13:33   #163
pchang
King

Absentees
They started counting absentee ballots as soon as they arrived. But, with the margins of victory this large, I don't really think a few votes either way will make any difference.

Old October 8, 2003, 13:46   #164
Jack_www
King

Re: Absentees
Quote:
Originally posted by pchang
They started counting absentee ballots as soon as they arrived. But, with the margins of victory this large, I don't really think a few votes either way will make any difference.
I am hoping that this will add to the support of the recall and Arnold. My question had to do with the ballots that arived on election day, not the absentee ballots that came before the election day.
Old October 8, 2003, 13:49   #165
Japher
Emperor

Those that arrive on the day are counted...

Yet, they know how many were issued, they know how many they received, and they probably know that it won't change the results... They will still be counted though.
Old October 8, 2003, 13:50   #166
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Kropotkin

'Pro-jobs' is a pointless term, it's quite a lot like 'pro-life' or 'pro-choice' in the debate about abortions. Eupheonisms shouldn't really be used to describe a policy or ideology. That's propaganda.
Being pro-business and pro-jobs is shorthand for fiscal conservatism here in the US. Yes it is a form of propaganda, but all politicians use simple catch phrases to get their message out. It makes things simpler.
Old October 8, 2003, 13:53   #167
Ned
King

Re: Primaries
Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

Primaries are the one tool the state and county party organization have to throttle real choice as to candidates.
Yeah, and it really has not served the Republican party well. It produces candidates to far to the social-conservative right to win.

I too am thinking that perhaps we should abolish primaries.
Old October 8, 2003, 14:05   #168
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

Gore and the vast right wing conspiracy, more than Davis himself.

Davis and the Cali Dem party proved once again that the Democratic party leadership knows how to self-destruct better than any political party in the world.

If you followed the poll numbers daily, the support for the recal and Bustamante's position vis-a-vis Arnie moved inversely in proportion to the volume of Davis' campaign spiel.

When Davis was shufflin' and rolling his eyes and pawin' the ground at those town hall meetings, saying "I's sorry, nex' time I gwine listen to y'all fo' sho'" support for the recall went down sharply, and Bustamante polled 5 points or so ahead of Arnie.

When the Dem Party elites got together and decided let's bring out Al Gore and Feinstein and Clinton and every other big name we can buy, and all claim "IT'S A VAST RIGHT WING CONSPIRACY TO STEAL ELECTIONS THEY COULDN'T WIN" the voters got turned off en masse.

Once again, Davis refusing to accept responsibility.

Once again, Davis trying to shift blame to some remote out of state force

Once again, Davis proving he knew nothing and cared less about the concerns of California voters.

And because you had all the party machinery spewing out this line of BS, and basically insulting the intelligence of the voters (it's the economy, stupid), Bustamente decided not to buck the party establishment any further and stuck with this "no on the recall" crap instead of pushing himself away from the morons in the Democratic Party Oberkommando.
Good post. The people were seriously angry at Davis for misleading them on the budget just prior to the election last year. The only way he could have save his job is contritely confess to mistakes.

I wonder if the Democrat party establishment, centered in Clinton's New York combo living room, truly understood the anger of the people of California towards Davis.
Old October 8, 2003, 14:07   #169
Jack_www
King

YOu know that most of Northern California voted to keep Davis in office, while central and southern california voted to kick him out by large margin.
Old October 8, 2003, 14:08   #170
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
Ned:
Tell me how you sit the fence on abortion. I agree with most of your points, but to win in California, you have to be pro-abortion, nothing moderate about that.
Moderate:

1) Roe v. Wade, yes. It is a women's right to privacy.
2) Late term abortions, no.
3) Personally against abortions.
Old October 8, 2003, 14:10   #171
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Quote:
1) Roe v. Wade, yes. It is a women's right to privacy.
2) Late term abortions, no.
3) Personally against abortions.
I don't know a pro-abort who does not believe in one or two.

And I already dealt with three, so no dice.
Old October 8, 2003, 14:12   #172
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

I was pulling for Mary Carey.
Old October 8, 2003, 14:14   #173
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowwHand
I can't imagine why.
Old October 8, 2003, 14:14   #174
Jack_www
King

EDIT:
I found the information for the voter turn out. It was not so high as everyone thought. Only 8,212,980 people voted and that is out of 15,380,536. That is about a 53.3% voter turn out.
Old October 8, 2003, 14:17   #175
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
Ben, I simply do not understand the position that abortion must be the subject of government regulation and prohibition or else you are on the hard left. We have a balancing of rights with abortion, with the right to life contesting with the right to privacy. Extremists emphasize one or the other. Moderates recognize the contest of rights and try to balance the two.
Old October 8, 2003, 14:20   #176
Jack_www
King

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowwHand
She did get 9,919 votes.
Old October 8, 2003, 14:28   #177
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack_www
EDIT:
I found the information for the voter turn out. It was not so high as everyone thought. Only 8,212,980 people voted and that is out of 15,380,536. That is about a 53.3% voter turn out.
Well, maybe Jesse Jackson was right that the minority voter was disenfranchised by moving the polling places to different locations and by printing the new locations on the sample ballots mailed to voters.
Old October 8, 2003, 14:30   #178
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack_www

She did get 9,919 votes.
And, apparently, a lot more pulls.
Old October 8, 2003, 14:52   #179
pchang
King

Voter Turnout
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned

Well, maybe Jesse Jackson was right that the minority voter was disenfranchised by moving the polling places to different locations and by printing the new locations on the sample ballots mailed to voters.
Even 53.3% was much larger than the last election.

Old October 8, 2003, 15:00   #180
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

MtG: About possible efforts to gun for Boxer in 2004.. You said you doubt the GOP would want to make a big effort to go after her, but didn't you make the same argument doubting Arnold's chances in this election saying that the GOP would feel no need to back Schwarzenegger in this election?

I don't think being moderate should be too big of a problem for the RNC, in the 2002 elections Bush and Rove both made an effort to support the nomination of moderate candidates to run in the general election. You make a good point though about California elections being more expensive, but the same would have go for the DNC in that it would cost money to defend Boxer. As I understand, Boxer is considered to be evil personified by Republicans in California, and with this victory under their belt they should be particularly encouraged to keep up their attack. The Califronia Republican State Party and Gov. Schwarzenegger should be able to raise a fair amount of cash, and if they manage to nominate a moderate candidate, I'd think Boxer could face a challenge..

As far as the national party and it's position on abortion, it doesn't really make sense to "moderate" just because of California. Like Ben said, pro-lifers are the most consistent Republican voters, and the Abortion issue is the key to Republican dominance in the South and Midwest, who together far outweigh California in electoral votes.

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand