Old October 9, 2003, 03:51   #31
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 06:08
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I don't know if this exactly fits the theme of the thread, but all of Graham Coxon's albums are a soul-destroying experience for any Blur fan dumb enough to pick them up.
Old October 9, 2003, 04:36   #32
Sikander
King

Local Time: 03:08
Re: Biggest Musical Disappointment
Quote:
Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
You know the deal: you really like some artist or band, follow their careers, listen to everything new they put out. And then they release something so breathtakingly godawful that you shake your head and wonder what the hell happened. I'm not talking about the unusual or experiment; I happily listened when Sinead O'Connor wanted to sing show tunes, or when Elvis Costello decided to do duets with an opera soprano. I mean they put out a cd that seems to systematically betray or deny everything you ever liked about them and their music to begin with.

I'm listening to what was, for me, the long-anticipated, eponymous Liz Phair cd. Jesus F*cking Christ on a crutch! From innovative indie darling, ripped off by countless acts since she released Exile in Guyville in '95, Liz has become something I didn't think it was possible to be: an Avril Lavigne wannabe.

I feel so used.

So, any other tales of musical betrayal out there?
I agree about Liz Phair, and was completely shocked and dismayed by her sell-out. It will take a lot of convincing for me to buy another one of her albums.
Old October 9, 2003, 04:45   #33
Sikander
King

Quote:
Originally posted by molly bloom
David Bowie's 'Never Let Me Down'. Think it couldn't get worse after 'Tonight'? Think of a song with Mickey Rourke helping out. In my teens I was a Bowie fanatic- this album made me want to put razors in my eyes and liquid cement in my ears.
This was how I felt about Let's Dance, though age has reduced my hatred of that album somewhat. What a comedown from all that cool stuff he did in the late 70s and early 80s.

Quote:
Talking Heads' 'Speaking in Tongues'- not sure what I was expecting (an improvement on 'Remain in Light'? Not easy) but a set of songs in search of an album wasn't it. Some excellent songs that individually show the Heads' genius, but somehow that put all together flop before the finishing line.
Yea, this album was a major dissappointment for me too despite its huge popularity. Not 1/4 as good as anything they had done previously. And yes, part of me was hoping that it would be an improvement on Remain in Light. I'm still waiting on that one.

Quote:

The B 52's 'Mesopotamia' first version (before the David Byrne help out). Again, a possible change of direction for the group that led them into a cul de sac. It just didn't sound like the party out of bounds B 52's I loved.
I heard it only after it had been redone, and I quite liked it. What I missed of the usual B-52 stuff was made up for by having David Byrne and Yogi Horton give the album "the Catherine Wheel treatment".

Quote:
The Future Sound of London's 'Dead Cities' I found a let down, Jethro Tull's 'Heavy Horses', Saint Etienne's 'Sound of Water', Massive Attack's '100th Window' (great live show, though)...quite a few of Miles Davis's last few albums...

Still- all of these folks have furnished me with great enjoyment, so anyone not prepared to risk failure ain't worth listening to.
I agree. Btw, I saw Ian Anderson last weekend here in town. It was a small venue show, and I was seated about 12 feet away from him. It was a relaxed format show, with about 75% devoted to acoustic versions of his stuff, and about 25% devoted to taking questions from the audience and a local radio personality. It was very enjoyable.
Old October 9, 2003, 04:46   #34
Sikander
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
I don't know if this exactly fits the theme of the thread, but all of Graham Coxon's albums are a soul-destroying experience for any Blur fan dumb enough to pick them up.
Thanks for the tip, I like Blur a lot and may have become a victim.
Old October 9, 2003, 09:27   #35
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Local Time: 05:08
Quote:
I second Television's 'Adventure' - the problem being that after the stratospheric heights of 'Marquee Moon' what do you do?
Thanks for supplying that album title; it was driving me nuts.

Quote:
Still- all of these folks have furnished me with great enjoyment, so anyone not prepared to risk failure ain't worth listening to.
So true.

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten