Old August 1, 2000, 18:28   #1
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 02:02
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Beyond Raging Hordes
I have heard of there being barbarian levels greater than Raging Hordes. I am not planning on using Barbs in my scenarios anyway, but some solid Allardian info (+ CivTweak 1.4) could come in useful.

------------------
St. Leo
http://ziggurat.sidgames.com/
http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
Old August 1, 2000, 19:48   #2
Panda
Prince

Local Time: 06:02
This was discovered back whenever it was, with the extra options that could be added to the Game.txt I think the game became unstable at Raging Hordes +2.

Hacking wise, this will the same byte that's already been identified - just replace it with a slightly higher value.

------------------
"The man who can smile when things go wrong has thought of someone he can blame it on"
Old August 2, 2000, 06:52   #3
Gothmog
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

I was just reading WK's barbarian paper and noted the Beyond Raging Hordes feature. As the author of CivTweak, I'm willing to add additonal barbarian levels, but I am wondering how high to go.
Old August 2, 2000, 17:01   #4
St Leo

The barbarian activity level above raging hordes (barbarian wraith) is really not playable. The rebel hordes are 100 strong and they appear every four or five turns. Ever try to fight off 100 chariots and horsemen?

You mean like Red Front?

Barbarian activity levels above x05 cause the game to crash.

Too many units?

------------------
St. Leo
Old August 3, 2000, 00:37   #5
William Keenan
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 01:02
The barbarian activity level above raging hordes (barbarian wraith) is really not playable. The rebel hordes are 100 strong and they appear every four or five turns. Ever try to fight off 100 chariots and horsemen?

Barbarian activity levels above x05 cause the game to crash.
Old August 4, 2000, 00:52   #6
Kull
lifer
King

Local Time: 23:02
Local Date: October 30, 2010
It really is an interesting feature, if you think about it. For example if you wanted to recreate the Fall of the Roman Empire, this is one way to mimic the Barbarian onslaught. A clever designer could even change the types of Barbarian Units (simulating the assaults of different tribes) by granting technologies which change the type of Barbarian unit produced. Hmmmm.

You could even change the objective. Instead of victory, the winner would be judged on the basis of how long he's able to stave off the inevitable defeat. Not your typical scenario, by any means! This mechanism would also work in a "Fall of Constantinople" and a host of similar "End of the World as we know it" scenarios.
Old August 4, 2000, 08:52   #7
St Leo

You could even change the objective. Instead of victory, the winner would be judged on the basis of how long he's able to stave off the inevitable defeat. Not your typical scenario, by any means!

Granada?

------------------
St. Leo
Old August 4, 2000, 16:53   #8
DarthVeda
Emperor

You could even change the objective. Instead of victory, the winner would be judged on the basis of how long he's able to stave off the inevitable defeat. Not your typical scenario, by any means!

Sounds like my current scenario project, actually...
Old August 7, 2000, 13:22   #9
Allard HS
Prince

Local Time: 08:02
I've played a test game. A new customized map, all choices 2 more than the usual highest, so for instance for climate: dry, normal, wet, very wet, English weather, and so on for all the choices given, including the barbarians, and even including the map size (though it doesn't get more than 10.000 anyway). The result is a huge block of land, with only sea near the vertical border of the map also on a round world map. One civ playing only. So I made one city, gave myself the Corporation, let it build Capitalism, built a few good Mech. Inf.'s, and pressed ENTER lots of times, inspecting in the meantime the behaviour of the barbarians from 4000BC to 2000AD.

Well, it didn't crash or do anything funny, but the map was absolutely red of barbarians. My city got attacked only some 10 times in all those turns, however, cause the map was so much land, and the barbarians came mostly from the sea and therefore couldn't easily find my city. That might be the reason why it didn't crash.

Anyway, it's a funny experiment, didn't take too much time, but gave me a tired finger of clicking the END TURN thing every time again.

I'm not sure what it proves, if the game is stable with this barb. level or not (as I have not tested it in scenarios yet, and under more normal circumstances).
Old August 9, 2000, 10:00   #10
Kull
lifer
King

Local Time: 23:02
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Gothmog:

Here's one vote for adding a "Barbarian Wrath" selection (or several) to the next release of CivTweak!

And speaking of CivTweak, there seems to be a problem with version 1.3 When I load SoG, it displays a "This is not a scenario" message. That doesn't happen with EotBA. I think it's because the location of the civ's singular and plural names (Hittite, Hittites) have been swapped in order to get Civ to use the correct leader titles. The error message does not occur when I run v1.2, so it's definitely related to something you added in 1.3.