Old October 9, 2003, 15:14   #1
Kaak
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 04:15
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Dell taking on iPod; consumer electronics...
Well guys, dell is set to take on Apple for the digital music market, as well as the market for LCD tvs, and introducing a new and improved handheld.

Link

New Dell Digital Music Players
The Dell DJ and the Dell Digital Music Store work seamlessly together, allowing you to purchase and download from thousands of songs while carrying your music library in your pocket.

New Dell Axim X3
Get organized and stay productive with the latest addition to the Dell Axim family, featuring optional wireless connectivity.

We are also introducing Media Center PCs and our new LCD tvs...

Anyway, the dell dj prices aren't finalized yet, but are WELL below apple's comprable models. Dell is also opening up a new digital music store, similar to iTunes. Sorry, monolith, but we want to put apple out of business ( or atleast out of this business )

Well if you guys decide you need any of these products for christmas, i'd be more than happy to help you out!!!

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."
Old October 9, 2003, 15:23   #2
Zopperoni
Age of Nations TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 12:15
:drool:

Old October 9, 2003, 15:30   #3
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 19:15
Imitation is....

looks like Apple will have to lower the costs of the ipod.

In other news the iTunes Music Store for Windows will launch on October 16th (next week) according to ZDNet. Now if the idiots on all sides can agree to sharing file formats the whole industry might actually work.

Zopperoni - I'm going to tell Mr Collina how you mock him.
Old October 9, 2003, 15:34   #4
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 06:15
Do you have pricing and resolution on your home theater video projector?
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old October 9, 2003, 15:35   #5
Kaak
King

Agathon, if apple can't make it work, i'm sure dell can. Our side of things is set to launch about the same time.

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."
Old October 9, 2003, 15:35   #6
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 13:15
So what should I get, what should I get, a PDA, or a Laptop...

In any case, is there any sort of such device that I could use in the same way people currently use notebooks, i.e. write on it with a pen, so it would be saved that way?
Old October 9, 2003, 15:44   #7
Kaak
King

tablet pcs work like that, but they are expensive and of limited use. The dell pocket PCs are great, but by the time you get all the accessories (keyboard, wireless card, etc...) you are spending a fair amount of money. If i were you i'd wait until the end of the month (prices are going to go down a bit because it is the end of the quarter) and get a notebook. Keep an eye on the webpage, and figure out exactly what you want, and i'll help you get the best possible price. the inspiron 5100 is probably the best value for your money right now...

Old October 9, 2003, 15:46   #8
Kaak
King

or maybe a laptop and then a PDA 60% of our notebook customers buy a PDA within 6 months. they work well together

Old October 9, 2003, 15:51   #9
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 03:15
Kaak how much does the New Dell Digital Music Player go for? If the price is right then I'm serious about buying one plus I already have a line of credit with Dell.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old October 9, 2003, 15:56   #10
Az
Emperor

do the new notebooks allow writing on them with this plastic pen thingee?
*Looks with disgust at his Latitude XPi*

I want the feel I get when I am writing.
Old October 9, 2003, 16:05   #11
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaak
Agathon, if apple can't make it work, i'm sure dell can. Our side of things is set to launch about the same time.
That's not what I meant. The iTMS alone shows that it works. The problem is getting all services to use the same file formats and allowing maximum interoperability so as to create a proper online music market instead of making users stick with only one service.

Apple uses AAC, the other services use WMA 9. It's incumbent on Apple to allow other manufacturers to incorporate AAC compatibility into their players and to incorporate WMA 9 into their ipod. That should allow the market to work properly without tying users into one format or the other.

Similarly the other services should make sure that their music will play alongside that of other services without any headaches.
Old October 9, 2003, 16:10   #12
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 06:15
Dell sux.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old October 9, 2003, 16:12   #13
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 03:15
Yeah, does the new Dell music system allow me to use any music format or only Dell's music format?
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old October 9, 2003, 16:12   #14
Az
Emperor

@che. For some reason I saw che morphing into a geeky 13-year old.
Old October 9, 2003, 16:27   #15
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
Yeah, does the new Dell music system allow me to use any music format or only Dell's music format?
I don't know. I certainly hope not.

Anyway, here's hoping Apple gives Windows users the full version of itunes with all the mac features. It's a really great app.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	picture 1.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	54768  
Old October 9, 2003, 16:44   #16
Kaak
King

no, the dell will play standard music files, but it isn't being billed as an "mp3" player.

Oerdin: the price is going to be between $100 and $200 cheaper than a comprable iPod. I can't give out the exact price because it hasn't been finalized, i just have the preliminary price at the moment...

Old October 9, 2003, 16:54   #17
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 05:15
dell , for the most part at least. Will seriously look at this. Hopefully they will be faster to ship than the ipods they "carry".

In other news:

Hall and Oates? ROFLMAO.
Old October 9, 2003, 17:12   #18
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel
dell , for the most part at least. Will seriously look at this. Hopefully they will be faster to ship than the ipods they "carry".

In other news:

Hall and Oates? ROFLMAO.
I share this computer with my wife.
Old October 9, 2003, 18:05   #19
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 05:15
Quote:
Originally posted by Agathon

I share this computer with my wife.
Fair enough, I just deleted some of my wife's mp3s (she has everything on a laptop now, I'm not just being mean)
Old October 9, 2003, 18:15   #20
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel

Fair enough, I just deleted some of my wife's mp3s (she has everything on a laptop now, I'm not just being mean)
What is it with women and music? They don't seem to like anything good.
Old October 9, 2003, 22:16   #21
Kaak
King

all i know is i can't wait....i'm almost obligated to buy one

Old October 9, 2003, 22:20   #22
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Imitation is....
Who is immitating who?

Apple wasn't the first company with a harddrive portable media player, nor the first company to sell music online through a service.
Old October 9, 2003, 22:22   #23
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher

Who is immitating who?

Apple wasn't the first company with a harddrive portable media player, nor the first company to sell music online through a service.
Who asked for your ill-informed opinion?
Old October 9, 2003, 22:23   #24
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Apple uses AAC, the other services use WMA 9. It's incumbent on Apple to allow other manufacturers to incorporate AAC compatibility into their players and to incorporate WMA 9 into their ipod.
There's no reason whatsoever for AAC to exist in the consumer marketplace, the whole reason Apple used it was because no one else was doing it.

Apple is more concerned about locking people into Apple systems than they are about making life easier for the consumer.

AAC won't be supported on non-Apple media players, while Windows Media will continue to be supported on everything else.

Apple will once again screw up something they could've easily had an effective monopoly with.

This is what happens when you run a company with people who are more interested in color schemes than profit margins.

Last edited by Asher; October 9, 2003 at 22:28.
Old October 9, 2003, 22:23   #25
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Who asked for your ill-informed opinion?
Ohhohoh, that was clever.

I can play too!

"Who asked for your ill-informed opinion? "

Man, it's easy to be an ignorant tw*t.
Old October 9, 2003, 22:26   #26
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

And the thread turns into another pointless troll thanks to Asher.

Someone close it now...
Old October 9, 2003, 22:26   #27
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

It only becomes a pointless troll after you've been owned. Funny how that works.
Old October 9, 2003, 22:28   #28
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher
It only becomes a pointless troll after you've been owned. Funny how that works.
It works because you are a hopeless liar who'll say anything in an attempt to get your way.
Old October 9, 2003, 22:31   #29
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

You know, you can always try another strategy than to actively try to get the thread closed to hide your losses.

Perhaps if you debated the content rather than blindly causing someone a "hopeless liar" it'd make your position look somewhat less tw*tish.
Old October 9, 2003, 22:35   #30
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

BTW, Agathon:

http://gear.ign.com/articles/452/452815p1.html

Quote:
The iPod is a funny device. Apple has done an excellent job marketing it, and it is wildly popular, but in a lot of ways it is not such a great player.
The drawbacks are battery life and sound. It plainly doesn't sound as good as the Zen NX or iRiver. The battery life gets shorter and shorter with each generation of iPod. Apple's claim is eight hours, depending on use.
Quote:
Two things make the Zen NX a great player. Firstly, the sound quality is second to none. It is loud and clear as a bell. Invest in a decent set of headphones and you'll be happy as a clam. Secondly, it offers stunning value. The larger capacity model is the same price as the entry iPod and much cheaper than the iRiver.