Old October 11, 2003, 17:40   #61
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 04:15
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Why would Dell sell music on their site before their music player is even out...?
Old October 11, 2003, 18:56   #62
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher

Who is immitating who?

Apple wasn't the first company with a harddrive portable media player, nor the first company to sell music online through a service.
But they're probably the first company to be succesful in the marketplace about it. For example, if I said something about my iPod to my friends, they might at least remember they saw a commercial for it on TV. But if I started talking about Zen MX then they'd think I was in some cult..

(BTW if iPod sucks so badly then how does it get so much recognition? And IIRC Maximum PC gave it a 10/10 Kick Ass rating. But I don't know if they've reviewed anything like the MX or other cryptically-named products since then )
Old October 11, 2003, 19:00   #63
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

The iPod doesn't suck, it has relatively poor battery life and audio quality, not to mention no support for Windows Media. Add in the fact that it's hundreds of dollars more than its competition, and you have to wonder what people are thinking then they buy them. Perhaps they think it makes for a nice accessory?
Old October 11, 2003, 19:05   #64
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Quote:
not to mention no support for Windows Media
Remember when you said liscensing fees for WMA were free on Windows? Does MS charge the same fees for players, or for Macintosh products like the iPod? (Yes yes I [think] know they've got a Windows version now shut up. )

...But yes, $500 for a player is pretty damn expensive. Only serious thing I have to fault with Apple on the thing.
Old October 11, 2003, 19:47   #65
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...ing.aspx#link3

MS charges $0.10 per decoder device (so per portable audio player), while MP3 charges $0.75 and AAC charges $0.24-$1.00 depending on volume.