Old October 10, 2003, 04:44   #1
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 20:18
Local Date: November 2, 2010
The most disturbing thing about the Hive
The most disturbing thing about the Hive for me is that things rarely happen without me prompting someone to do it.

Did anyone know that we've had infiltration of the pirates for the last 3 days and not 1 person has looked? I refuse to look as that will become another of my permanment jobs.
__________________________________________________ ___
From now on I'm restricting my work to running the turns, getting our homeland empire building and handling drone diplomancy. I was spending an average of 12 hours a day on the ACDG, but I can't keep that up anymore.

I've already said that I've want less responsibility for a month, but ultimately nothing has happened. Everyone talks about not being able to help with running all the planning, but what people really need to do is take some iniative.

Remembering everything that needs to be done then informing everyone then getting their feedback takes up half my time. If people could start thinking of what needs to be done and doing it themselves that halves the time I spend on the ACDG straight away.

If you want to be involved, you have to actively get yourself involved. No more of this passive involvement as it's wasting my time. No more constant reminders on things that need to be done, as it's far faster for me to do it when it gets absoultely critical than it is to chase people up.

From now on I'm going to just post a link to the save file. Posting the turn update can be someone else's job. Posting turn chats will also be someone else's job.

When that probe ship I'm building is completed it will sit in dock until someone says that it's supposed to go somewhere. I don't want to be a military commander.

We will operate with no knowledge of what the pirates are doing until someone actually volunteers to look and start posting the information. I'm not going to be our intelligence officer.

If something needs to be done and it isn't my job then I'm not going to remind people and even go to the process of asking people do help out. I don't want leadership, I never did.

I'll be willing to help people, but from now people will have to actually ask me.

If you are upset with the changes, realise that the choice for me is either this or quit helping completely. I just can't afford to keep spending 12 hours a day running the Hive, and for the last 3 weeks it's felt like more of a job than a lesiure activity. If this was a PBEM I would only be spending at most 3 hours per day (15 hours per turn), it's running all the other things that takes much of my time.
Old October 10, 2003, 08:57   #2
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 10:18
John I SAID I'd do a full pirates report when we got the next turn. Also in the continuing absense of Marshal Roko, it looks like we have noone in charge of the Hive's millitary. Poll coming soon to find a replacement, I guess.

The Canadian should be leaving us on Mon/Tuesday so I'll get a bit more free time again. It sucks having to play host for weeks on end

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old October 10, 2003, 09:59   #3
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

But we already have infiltration.....
Old October 10, 2003, 10:12   #4
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Local Time: 04:18
But he has the Canadian, remember?

Grapefruit Garden
Old October 10, 2003, 10:32   #5
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Mail me the turn and I can do it now. Like in the next hour before Mrs J gets home.

-Jam
Old October 10, 2003, 11:09   #6
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Why can't you just download it?

Grapefruit Garden
Old October 10, 2003, 11:47   #7
dacole
ACDG The Human HiveBtS Tri-League
Prince

Could do things that need doing but not sure how to..can someone send me the password to the turns for us along with a linik to where to download them (and also which forums on the main website I should check) thanks!

email dacole@wfubmc.edu
Old October 10, 2003, 12:47   #8
Snowflake
Princess

Kody should Dacole be added to the embassy?

Grapefruit Garden
Old October 10, 2003, 17:40   #9
Kody
Emperor

Yeah I guess,

He seems active and he's talking. Restricting new members just because we're suspicious of an infiltrator is just asking for our activity to die. I'll walk him through it in an email.
Old October 10, 2003, 17:47   #10
Jamski
Deity

Quote:
Why can't you just download it?
Because 'poly is FUBARed and won't let me download ANYTHING?

-Jam
Old October 10, 2003, 20:54   #11
Micha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG3 MorganACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG PeaceACDG Planet University of TechnologyCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Team Banana
King

Local Time: 11:18
Save as html, rename to zip, unzip, load

As it´s to be read on at least 3 different threads in the poly forums, including turn tracking thread

TM: Comrade Function Drogue
Old October 10, 2003, 21:20   #12
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 03:18
But that doesn't work with me - I can "save the target as", then change the "open with" to my zip executable prog., and rename the file to xxxxx.zip, but my zipper (Ultimate Zip) doesn't recognize it even when I click on "all files" (it still retains the little blue internet explorer icon, and not the zip icon label)

I've been able to bypass it so far by going into the last player's Private Forum and d/l'ing the endturn save (which has to be set up as an upload/download 'cos no attachments can be made to private forum posts.

But why has this problem suddenly arisen - all was well for 38 x 5 turns; since 2138 everyone is AFU?

G.
Old October 10, 2003, 23:32   #13
Kody
Emperor

I've never had this problem to tell the truth.
Old October 11, 2003, 00:49   #14
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 03:18
JAM - are you winXP? Someone suggested to me that the problem might lie there

G.
Old October 12, 2003, 05:45   #15
Jamski
Deity

Luckily not - but I think the problem might lie with my shitty German telecom DSL/modem/lan set up which is giving me all kinds of trouble.

Or maybe its just 'poly playing up...

-Jam
Old October 12, 2003, 11:23   #16
Snowflake
Princess

Sorry I wasn't clear earlier. (Thought a mastermind wouldn't need lots of help in downloading a turn. )

Buster's had the turn on CGN from the first day. And I have added the way to download the turn right at that turn thread. But anyway, Poly's recovered from her sickness now.

Grapefruit Garden
Old October 13, 2003, 03:22   #17
Jamski
Deity

Never underestimate the stupidity of intellegent people.

-Jam