Closed Thread

Old October 15, 2003, 18:31   #31
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 04:20
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
How about the rumor regarding a lot of stupid things being on by default that create security holes?
This was the case, Windows Server 2003 did fix this and Windows XP SP2 will fix this as well.

It wasn't so much that the things being on created security holes, but lots of stuff does turn on by default for convenience. And if those things had security holes, some people wouldn't know they were running so might not bother patching it.
Old October 15, 2003, 21:28   #32
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 19:20
Quote:
Originally posted by FlameFlash

Then why have virus software at all for the Mac?

What about the old HyperCard Viruses that would infect HyperCard files, deleting the program of the Card stack and then increasing the size dramatically?
I don't know. There are a few viruses that afflict OS 9, but not one OS X virus (which is what I was talking about). Of course there are MS Office Macro viruses, but I'm not sure how much damage these can do.
Old October 16, 2003, 01:07   #33
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Agathon
but not one OS X virus (which is what I was talking about)
It took me 10 seconds and google to find one:
http://www.lowendmac.com/lite/03/0813.html

Gee, that sounds like how 99% of the Windows worms spread -- run a script without permission, access the address book, mass-mail to infect others.

As you can see, OS X isn't immune to viruses, it's just lucky in that hackers don't give a sh*t to create thousands of viruses and worms. MS is a huge target and satan to most hackers, is it any surprise they focus their attention there?
Old October 17, 2003, 09:26   #34
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher

As you can see, OS X isn't immune to viruses, it's just lucky in that hackers don't give a sh*t to create thousands of viruses and worms. MS is a huge target and satan to most hackers, is it any surprise they focus their attention there?
That's what I said!

Consider this, in Software Update under OS X, why have "security updates" if there were no security holes?

I use Apple because as a minority it is protected, if another minority I didn't like was out (think if M$ and Mac's roles were reversed) then I'd be of the majority (thus I'm retracting my earlier statement regarding switching from Mac if it was a larger group... I've thought about it more since then.)

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old October 17, 2003, 14:45   #35
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 19:20
Quote:

That's what I said!

Consider this, in Software Update under OS X, why have "security updates" if there were no security holes?

I use Apple because as a minority it is protected, if another minority I didn't like was out (think if M$ and Mac's roles were reversed) then I'd be of the majority (thus I'm retracting my earlier statement regarding switching from Mac if it was a larger group... I've thought about it more since then.)
The problem is that it's not true. It's simply harder to write really mean viruses that will do major damage to OS X. The security patches are usually for stopping people hacking into you machine.

If you are using a "user" account, the most a virus could do would be to wipe your personal documents.
Old October 18, 2003, 01:43   #36
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

The same is said for Windows user accounts.
Old October 18, 2003, 17:20   #37
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Quote:
The same is said for Windows user accounts.
Heh.

It's personal preference! There is no "better overall" OS, just better for the individual OS!

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old October 19, 2003, 16:26   #38
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 02:20
You can play PS2 online against other humans now and the darn thing doubles as a dvd/cd player(not a great one but one none the less)

Get the PS2.The network adapter.A headset(broadband only).Some EA sports titles.I recommend Tiger Woods 2004 for starters

Forget the X-Box for now
Old October 19, 2003, 16:28   #39
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

You can also play Xbox online against other humans now, and the darn thing doubles as a DVD/CD player. The network adapter comes with the console, no extra purchase.

Plus it's got 50+ Xbox Live games and you can count the number of PS2 online games with your fingers.

And all Live games are broadband-only, support the same name across all games, and support voice communication.
Old October 19, 2003, 17:00   #40
FlameFlash
Emperor

I will have to counter that the X-Box requires you, rather than buy the network adapter, buy the specialized DVD decoder remote.

It's not DVD/CD player compatible right out of the box from my understanding.

How did we ever get on this topic!?

Old October 20, 2003, 01:51   #41
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

I dunno. It's lax moderation, I tell ya! Lax! Lax! Lax! LAAAAXXXXX!!!

(*cough* Ahem, OK. That's out of my system now.)

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old October 20, 2003, 09:50   #42
FlameFlash
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Gatekeeper
I dunno. It's lax moderation, I tell ya! Lax! Lax! Lax! LAAAAXXXXX!!!

(*cough* Ahem, OK. That's out of my system now.)

Old October 20, 2003, 19:10   #43
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 02:20
BLASPHEMY...a MAC user promoting a MS product?..what has the world come to...

Allright,buy the darn X-Box then.When you read a description like that,you wonder why PS2 outsells it

Both are good I spose.The games I like are online in PS2 only due to MS's greed.Fancy that

Just don't buy a gamecube, whatever you do
Old October 20, 2003, 20:20   #44
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
I will have to counter that the X-Box requires you, rather than buy the network adapter, buy the specialized DVD decoder remote.
But you gotta buy a memory card also for the PS2, while they're not required on Xbox.
Old October 21, 2003, 21:56   #45
FlameFlash
Emperor

Heh, got me there, though I think they're planning on fixing that problem shortly.

Does the Xbox allow for a memory card? I've always preferred them (unless the Xbox's HD is somehow USB hotswap enabled so that players can transport their saves to other friend's houses easily.)

Old October 21, 2003, 22:55   #46
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

The Xbox allows for a memory card.

Every Xbox controller has two peripheral connecting slots, so you can have up to 8 memory cards connected to a single Xbox.

The peripheral slots are also used for things like the Live Headset. It has two so you can use your Live Headset and your memory card at the same time.
Old October 23, 2003, 21:24   #47
FlameFlash
Emperor

Cool.

Now what kinds of games are on the Xbox over the PS2...?

I'm a role-player. Heard Knights of the Old Republic is good, but what else is there?

Sorry we've gone thread-jacking guys, but I've got Asher's ear and like the quiet of the Mac forum as opposed to going to "other games."

Old October 23, 2003, 21:25   #48
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

If you're an RPG person, go with a PS2 instead of an Xbox.
Old October 23, 2003, 21:29   #49
FlameFlash
Emperor

Thought so...

What does the Xbox specialize in, then?

Old October 23, 2003, 21:37   #50
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Racing/driving, sports, action, FPS, multi-console titles, online games.

Come to think of it, everything but RPGs.
Old October 23, 2003, 21:44   #51
FlameFlash
Emperor

Quote:
Come to think of it, everything but RPGs.
Explains why only the PS2 has interested me then...

Closed Thread