Old October 11, 2003, 00:30   #1
cptben
Settler

Local Time: 10:21
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Conscription army
I am playing my game, and just realized how easier it is to build an army with Conscript. They have only 2 bar, but they seems to promote easy. And this leave me to be able to build more important research and production unit in my city. Am I missing something with a Conscript Army?
Old October 11, 2003, 00:36   #2
Tassadar500
Emperor

Local Time: 03:21
I dont understand. How can you create an army with a conscipt unit?
Old October 11, 2003, 00:38   #3
cptben
Settler

Sorry I used the army term, but I meant multiple unit going on offense. I am so unlucky with those leader, that I barely ever see an elite troop transform into leader
Old October 11, 2003, 00:47   #4
Tassadar500
Emperor

The only problem with that then is conscripts are defeated easier. For example a conscript warrior has no chance against a veteran or elite warrior.
Old October 11, 2003, 00:59   #5
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

ctben, why do you make your going without Great Leaders a self-fulfilling prophecy? For Crying Out Softly, at least use a core of veteran-built units for your units!!

One of the great disadvantages the AI has is their tendency to fight with Regulars vs. the player's vets. Using conscripts turns the tables in their favor. Sure, a conscript may have a 50% chance of promotion with victory, but if you lose ....

If you are playing at Chieftan or Warlord difficulty and therefore combating obsolete units, you are setting yourself up for a fall when you advance in levels. Drafting also reaps unhappiness. Don't get into such bad habits!
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old October 11, 2003, 01:04   #6
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 12:21
Also conscripts are only recieved from drafting of barbarians, and drafting makes yous cities small and unhappy, and barbarian conscripts aren't that many, so I've hard to understand how you can get ennough units in that way for a real offence...

What time period in the game is it you use conscripts for offense?
Old October 11, 2003, 10:35   #7
cptben
Settler

I am modern area, I just discover mech infantry while all the opponent defend their city with regular infantry.

I play on huge map, and had enough city to draft 25 mech infantry in one turn.

But I didn't realized the unhappy factor, I'll check for that next time
Old October 11, 2003, 11:13   #8
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 05:21
One unhappy person for 20 turns per draft.
Old October 11, 2003, 12:35   #9
Tassadar500
Emperor

Something doesn't seem right here with what cptben is saying. How are you so ahead in technology?
Old October 11, 2003, 15:20   #10
Swissy
Civilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMRise of Nations MultiplayerIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerBtS Tri-League

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Master
Something doesn't seem right here with what cptben is saying. How are you so ahead in technology?
Computers is a first line tech in modern age, so the other civs need not be that far behind. Also, Mech Inf requires oil and rubber, while Inf only needs oil. Another civ may have the tech but not the oil.
Old October 11, 2003, 15:43   #11
PeaSoup
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Swissy

Computers is a first line tech in modern age, so the other civs need not be that far behind. Also, Mech Inf requires oil and rubber, while Inf only needs oil. Another civ may have the tech but not the oil.
I'm sure you meant to say the Inf only needs rubber..
Old October 11, 2003, 15:45   #12
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:21
Not to mention the AI could have the tech and the resources, but just not have built any or upgraded. They are known to be slow about that sort of thing.
Old October 11, 2003, 19:01   #13
Tassadar500
Emperor

It depends what level you are on really... But I believe cptben plays chieftan thus answering my own question.
Old October 12, 2003, 07:26   #14
WackenOpenAir
Chieftain

conscripts are very costly in the long run if you draft citizens to get them.

They CAN however give you a string militairy boost on the short term.

so you could use them in emergency situations or in like a final assault.

the quality of conscripts depend on your tech level. if the conscripts you are getting are higher level units than your opponent's, they can do some damage, and beat things.
If they are equal or lower level, they will be very inefficient. they will most likely die before the opponent dies, maybe they will have done some damage, but maybe your opponents get a promotion as well.
Old October 12, 2003, 08:30   #15
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 20:21
the unhappiness it causes has always stopped me from doing this. i did try it in early games but gave up as it so much easier to build vet units and get them promoted and then get leaders from the elites.
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old October 12, 2003, 08:33   #16
Swissy
Civilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMRise of Nations MultiplayerIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerBtS Tri-League

I like using conscripts once I have a rail system to fill in a garrisons as my assault pushes forward. No need to tie down the fighting troops if you capture a city with alot of resisters.
Old October 12, 2003, 12:26   #17
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Resistance suppression is what obsolete units & armies are for. In late industrial & modern, obsolete cavalry does very well. They get to the city even if communication lines are messed up.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old October 12, 2003, 20:44   #18
Patroklos
Emperor

I useually run a tight ship, only building the most advance units and upgrading them at the earliest conveniance ao I never have obsolete units, that using conscripts idea as garrisions is a good idea.

Also, draft can be a very good way to stave off that horde roling over you empire. I make alot of WWII scenarios, and that is the only Russia ever survives.
Old October 13, 2003, 15:43   #19
cptben
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Master
It depends what level you are on really... But I believe cptben plays chieftan thus answering my own question.
I used to play chieftain, but I am now playing warlord in this game
Old October 15, 2003, 19:47   #20
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 06:21
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
cptben, I also have gone NUTS with conscript MIs... I usually put them in very strong defensive positions (e.g., mountain fortresses), thus freeing up my vets for aggressive actions. Until the AI civs have MA, most of a stack of 2-4 such MIs will survive and get rapidly promoted if attacked.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.