Old October 11, 2003, 08:30   #1
Azaelus
Settler

Local Time: 10:21
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Tourist attractions?
Check the screenshot for the the new Statue of Zeus wonder: it says it can become a tourist attraction. (http://www.civ3.com/images/screensho...ests/misc6.jpg)

Anybody care to speculate on what this new concept is? I may be reading too much into it, but perhaps when a wonder becomes a tourist attraction (sidenote: how does this happen - a certain period of time has passed? the city infrastructure supports tourism?), it adds an additional amount of commerce to the city, perhaps dependant on the number of cities it is linked to?
If this is so, the building of roads/railroads and airports would become greater than ever, and it would allow you to squeeze just that little bit more use out of obsolete wonders.
So... anybody know if there is any info on this whole tourist attraction idea? It sounds pretty good.

And hypothetically speaking, which wonders would be tourist attractions, and which wouldn't? Some ideas:

Attractions: The Statue of Zeus, Colossus, the Oracle, the Hanging Gardens, the Great Library, the Pyramids.

Not attractions: All of the small wonders, the Internet, the Knights Templar, Magellan's Voyage, Theory of Evolution, Univeral Suffrage, the Manhattan Project, Hoover Dam.

Your thoughts?

-- Azaelus
Azaelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2003, 10:37   #2
Louis XXIV
C4WDG Stratega
Prince

Local Time: 05:21
You are very close

Tourist atractions give you money after a certain time. After more time, they give you more money. Only building people would visit are tourist attractions (Nobody visits the Theory of Evolution).
Old October 12, 2003, 16:17   #3
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 03:21
Re: Tourist attractions?
Quote:
Originally posted by Azaelus

Anybody care to speculate on what this new concept is? I may be reading too much into it, but perhaps when a wonder becomes a tourist attraction (sidenote: how does this happen - a certain period of time has passed? the city infrastructure supports tourism?)
It will probably work along the lines of buildings that now double their culture after 1000 years. So after 1000 years, cities with those wonders would get an extra commerce on all roads in the city radius. Either that or just in the center square itself. I like the idea, it has some good possibilities for modding.
Willem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2003, 17:36   #4
Louis XXIV
C4WDG Stratega
Prince

I got the impression that they got it directly from the wonder (not from any terrain feature).

BTW, what I said was based on the info at the Firaxis chat, so that is what it is.
Old October 12, 2003, 17:55   #5
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 03:21
Quote:
Originally posted by Louis XXIV
I got the impression that they got it directly from the wonder (not from any terrain feature).

BTW, what I said was based on the info at the Firaxis chat, so that is what it is.
Well I'm just making an assumption. I guess we'll have to wait until it comes out to knoow for sure I guess. It won't be long now!
Willem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2003, 17:58   #6
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 19:21
Sounds like a great idea... people like to go on holidays and spend... we have the Rugby on here in Oz, and money is being spent hand over fist... which I must say is excellent for our little island and all...

Hmmmm, I wonder if they could build a add on like the "Olympics" and "Rugby World Cup". Possibly to much hard work, especially when balanced against the return.

But I do like the idea of tourism for wonders.
Old October 12, 2003, 19:10   #7
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

It will be interesting to see how it functions.

I'm wondering specifically about what happens when a wonder is captured, stops producing culture, does it stop producing tourism (and similar qs about the 1k years)

I hope there is some moddability here, but its doubtful, by which i mean turns to add, not amount added, that probably will be moddable. I would like the ancient wonders to take the 1k years for tourism, but other things like Hoover or UN to take less time. granted, most of the late wonders are all scientific or social changes, suffrage, evolution, cure for cancer. Also I'm wondering if tourism can affix to small wonders such as the forbidden palace and apollo program (not the intelligence center!)
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2003, 18:54   #8
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:21
It allows creation of Crusader Knights, so that should be fun.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2003, 19:01   #9
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 06:21
Quote:
Not attractions: All of the small wonders, the Internet, the Knights Templar, Magellan's Voyage, Theory of Evolution, Univeral Suffrage, the Manhattan Project, Hoover Dam.
Disagree on the Hoover Dam. IIRC, it actually is a tourist attraction. I also think that the FP should be a tourist attraction.

Perhaps the amount of money you get from a tourist attraction should be based (partly) on how many civs you know that aren't embargoing you? That would allow for a (slightly) more effective economic war.