Old October 11, 2003, 21:41   #1
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 05:23
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Turnthread in place of Turnchat 8
Ministers, please post orders here.

I will play at least a turn sunday evening (american time; middle of the night for Europe). Hopefully more than one, but that depends on how extensive a set of orders I get.

Remember, the latest save can be found in the Chat 7 Report
Old October 12, 2003, 23:04   #2
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

I played a turn anyway; we're now at 1050 BC. Report:

-Bifrost was switched to worker as suggested by Rhothaerill. Some WF shuffling as discussed. Workers continue to improve plains, and jungle cutting has begun.
-Mantis reinforces Valhalla against damaged persian archer. Persian archer attacks on Persia's turn, dying after dealing 1 HP damage to Mantis.
-Another Persian galley moves into site on our northern coast; no landings yet. An Egyptian galley also comes into site. A Spanish galley arrives in the south, pursued by 4 barbarian galleys.
-Persia still won't make peace in 1050 without us throwing gold in. It seems the war continues.

Some decisions to make:
-Does Thor's Hammer continue with the harbor or switch to a galley? it currenty has 24 shields built and 3 spt, so it would take just 2 turns to finish a galley, but it would be regular.
-Where should the settler in Bifrost head?
-And what's our first palace improvement? Steps, garden, or building?

Save attached:
Attached Files:
Old October 13, 2003, 01:40   #3
Donal Graeme
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 02:23
Good, I was worried that the Persian archer might cause some problems, glad thats over. Now its time to put the screws on the Persians.
Old October 13, 2003, 01:58   #4
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 22:23
If we built a Galley, we could explore with it, thus our WM would be worth a lot more in trades with any civs we are at peace with. A little trick for raising money is to contact every peaceful civ every turn and attempt to seel them our TM/WM. It will, with every turn or second turn, give us another gold or two. This sounds like nothing, but if we have 5-6 neighbours then that's 5-6 more Barracks paid for when in a war.....

Otherwise a Harbour is needed to get food up in Thor's Hammer, else it will not grow very fast at all until that jungle is cleared ( a long time coming).

I would go with the Galley, I think. The contacts that could potentially be garnered may benefit us a lot more than a Harbour.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old October 13, 2003, 06:41   #5
Torkkeli
Warlord

Local Time: 12:23
Galley indeed. As there are may civs out there with galleys already we need to get there also. And it would allow us to expand to the landmass south of us.

About the settler...
Move it 2-2-1-1 or where ever the agreed city-spot is around there. Or maybe ship it to the landmass south of us. We could use a foot hold there.

Our palace needs steps.
Old October 13, 2003, 18:33   #6
Tassadar500
Emperor

Local Time: 03:23
For Thor's Hammer definatly galley. So that's the DM's orders. For the settler what about moving it 2-2-1?
Old October 13, 2003, 19:08   #7
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 03:23
2-2-1 is definitely my vote for the next city site, as per this thread
Old October 13, 2003, 20:52   #8
G'Kar
Prince

Local Time: 04:23
Build a galley and let's go where no one has gone before.
Old October 13, 2003, 20:54   #9
G'Kar
Prince

Local Time: 04:23
For the next city I like 2-2-1 and also 1-1-4.
Old October 14, 2003, 13:28   #10
GarP2
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:23
if we go 1-1-4 how do we utilize the wheat?

GarP2
Old October 14, 2003, 13:58   #11
GarP2
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:23
Also, how's our defensive situation? I wasnt able to open the .sav file with either CivIII or PTW, to see inside the cities. [It's CivIII, right? Got some kind of I/O error trying to open the save. I have email/web browser on one (fairly slow - 400 Mhz or so) machine and CivII/PTW on another that's not connected to the web (but faster 1.8Ghz), so I had to ferry it to the other computer on a diskette.]

Anyway, 1) we need to get a warrior back to SAG, 2) if Thors Hammer (TH) is only singly defended, the Persian Galley could go 7-4-2 into that bay by TH and drop an archer on the mountain at TH3, which could be bad, since it would take 2 moves to get another defender in there. And is there only one warrior in Asgard? If we move him toward TH now he could get to TH or back to Asgard if the Persians dropped next to Asgard. But... but if they drop at TH3 and the Egyptians e.g., drop at Asgard 7,8, or 9, the defenses are stretched a little thin.

"Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they aren't out to get ya' "

GarP2
[edited - I left a word out]
Old October 14, 2003, 14:41   #12
ormuzd
Civilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameIron CiversApolyton UniversityC4DG The HordeC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

Local Time: 12:23
it's PTW btw
Old October 14, 2003, 20:56   #13
Kloreep
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GarP2
I wasnt able to open the .sav file with either CivIII or PTW, to see inside the cities. [It's CivIII, right? Got some kind of I/O error trying to open the save. I have email/web browser on one (fairly slow - 400 Mhz or so) machine and CivII/PTW on another that's not connected to the web (but faster 1.8Ghz), so I had to ferry it to the other computer on a diskette.]
Have you installed the 1.21 or 1.27 patchs for PTW? You'll probably need to have at least 1.21 to load saves, as I was using 1.27. If you have 1.21 you should be able to load it as 1.21 has proved compatible so far, but it could be there are a few exceptions.

Quote:
Anyway, 1) we need to get a warrior back to SAG
Agreed. The reg warrior in Asgard should do nicely.

Quote:
2) if Thors Hammer (TH) is only singly defended, the Persian Galley could go 7-4-2 into that bay by TH and drop an archer on the mountain at TH3, which could be bad, since it would take 2 moves to get another defender in there. And is there only one warrior in Asgard? If we move him toward TH now he could get to TH or back to Asgard if the Persians dropped next to Asgard. But... but if they drop at TH3 and the Egyptians e.g., drop at Asgard 7,8, or 9, the defenses are stretched a little thin.
1 warrior in Asgard, and he'll be needed to keep the 4th pop point in line as of next turn. However, thanks to its temple, Thor's Hammer doesn't need me stationed in it right now. (Though the local populace loves me garrisoning their town. ) Kloreep moving three would cover the mountain, and the Archer produced in Asgard next turn can help deal with any Persians roaming on more open terrain.

Quote:
"Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they aren't out to get ya' "
"Of course I'm paranoid, that's because everyone's trying to kill me!"