Old October 12, 2003, 07:57   #1
Elok
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 06:24
Local Date: November 2, 2010
What would you say?
A friend of mine (I'd like to be more than a friend, but she's spoken for, so I'm stuck waiting...not that it matters for this thread) is coming home after two weeks in Romania at the International Kempo Federation's world championships. According to the website, she got ranked in the top three in every division she competed in. In a championship. With dozens of contestants, from about fifteen countries. Around the world. So basically I've fallen for Wonder Woman.

And no, this isn't one of those "my-masculinity-is-threatened" things; since I have no intention of ever starting a fight with the girl (especially not now ), I honestly don't see how it matters. I just posted this because:

A. I wondered what I can say besides "congratulations," which sounds empty, and
B. I think it's pretty frigging cool and feel a strong urge to share it with somebody.

I already whipped up a rather amusing card on Wordperfect, which I suppose is enough. So idunno why I'm posting. Maybe I'm just an obsessive twit, like those moonstruck drunkards you always see describing their love to sympathetic barkeeps in the movies.

Maybe this is just an "is Elok crazy?" post...
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old October 12, 2003, 08:05   #2
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 13:24
Quote:
I'd like to be more than a friend, but she's spoken for, so I'm stuck waiting...not that it matters for this thread
Go to prison. Do not collect 200$
Old October 12, 2003, 08:29   #3
Elok
Emperor

Maybe...but I must say, if that's the case I'm quite a happy harlot, thank you.
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old October 12, 2003, 08:32   #4
Pekka
Emperor

Same what Azazel said .

Just congratulate... throw a party perhaps? THat's pretty awesome anyway, a great accomplishment. So, she's a pretty good striker, try to take her down ASAP and go for the kill there... I figure you stand better chances on the ground.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old October 12, 2003, 08:34   #5
Pekka
Emperor

So do a play fight.. just for fun.. if you get her down, you have the grab-the-boob opportunity there 'accidentally'. It can become a hot sex scene you know..
Old October 12, 2003, 08:41   #6
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 18:24
Re: What would you say?
Quote:
Originally posted by Elok
A. I wondered what I can say besides "congratulations," which sounds empty
Pah!

Pretend you don't know how well she did, ask her about it, give her the chance to gloat a little. Say things like "How could you possibly do so well?"

Com'on, it's a piece of cake.
Old October 12, 2003, 08:59   #7
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Local Time: 11:24
What the hell is Kempo?

And, don't act like you don't know that- tell her you already know and she'll be glad you cared to find some info about her sport
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old October 12, 2003, 09:00   #8
Pekka
Emperor

Karate.
Old October 12, 2003, 09:05   #9
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Datajack Franit
And, don't act like you don't know that- tell her you already know and she'll be glad you cared to find some info about her sport
IMO, it's much better to let her take the spotlight instead of having you knowing everything. Remember, this is her moment, who are you to spoil it?
Old October 12, 2003, 09:31   #10
Verres
Settler

Local Time: 10:24
Sounds like a good excuse for one hell of a party IMHO.
Old October 12, 2003, 13:33   #11
Elok
Emperor

I don't know that she wants a "spotlight" at all. She only mentioned it in passing before she left; I think she eclipses her own accomplishments a little. She certainly has no cause to in this case. I'm not going to draw attention to her or anything, but I think this demands recognition, and it seems more than a little silly to pretend I didn't look into it at all, not to mention dishonest and pseudo-manipulative. Bearing in mind the ol' golden rule, I prefer to be honest with my friends at almost all costs.
Also, I don't think she's dumb enough not to notice flattery...she's pretty frigging bright, actually.
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old October 12, 2003, 13:59   #12
Theben
Deity

Just say, "So you think you're tough ****? I'll kick your wimpy girly *ss, *****!!"

Tell us what happened when you wake up.
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old October 12, 2003, 18:12   #13
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Quote:
Originally posted by Theben
Just say, "So you think you're tough ****? I'll kick your wimpy girly *ss, *****!!"

Tell us what happened when you wake up.
Sounds like a plan!

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old October 12, 2003, 18:16   #14
Pekka
Emperor

Or you can say you don't believe her unless she lets you touch her boobies.
Old October 12, 2003, 19:56   #15
Sikander
King

Local Time: 03:24
I've been with a number of good athletes in my time, including a judo champion. Just be yourself, that's what she seems to want. A lot of these people get more than enough attention from the general public because they are athletes. Be sure to differentiate yourself by giving her attention mainly because she is who she is, and not because of her minor fame.
Old October 12, 2003, 22:56   #16
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

Quote:
Originally posted by Sikander
Be sure to differentiate yourself by giving her attention mainly because she is who she is, and not because of her minor fame.
I'll second that. When you've just won something major, everyone coos over what you've done, and not who you are. It is a great feeling when everyone is going on about what you've done and someone comes and talks to you about you, rather than about the acheivement.

Oh to go back to doing athletics...

Old October 13, 2003, 00:13   #17
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
I'm not going to draw attention to her or anything, but I think this demands recognition, and it seems more than a little silly to pretend I didn't look into it at all, not to mention dishonest and pseudo-manipulative.
Dishonest? What's so dishonest about asking her how she did instead of blurbing everything out yourself?

As for flattery, everyone can use some now and then, as long as it is sincere appreciation. That's what everybody wants, sincere appreciation.
Old October 13, 2003, 09:11   #18
Elok
Emperor

It's dishonest insofar as it involves pretending I didn't know. Granted, it's a white lie, but I'm trying to not get in the habit of deceit on any terms, great or small. Operative word: trying!

"How could you do so well?" strikes me as flattery, not to mention that implies I didn't think she could do it, and I honestly did. She's extremely nice and sweet, but I could tell that she has the willpower to fight and win from talking to her. And I was invisibly rooting for her all the way, after all. What you suggested sounded intrinsically insincere to me. Maybe I read too much into it though.

Thanks for the sage advice to all who didn't give me pointers on how to finagle the situation into getting to second base. [pointed glare]
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old October 13, 2003, 10:44   #19
Az
Emperor

Sikander is probably the most talented girl handler in the history of mankind since every advice he's ever given on the topic is pure gold.
Old October 13, 2003, 11:39   #20
Japher
Emperor

Dress up like a ninja and stalk her... don't do a good job... pretend you invisible... make your own sound effects
Old October 13, 2003, 11:51   #21
Snotty
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Quote:
And I was invisibly rooting for her all the way, after all.
#1 reason why I should never be a mod:- I just couldnt resist editing out that 'for'.
Old October 13, 2003, 11:55   #22
Snotty
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Im thinking that she would be impressed if you told her you had been following her progress on the web site and all. She would be flattered that you were so interested, and then she could talk in more detail about the fights.
Old October 13, 2003, 12:29   #23
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

Party. Alcohol. Golden Syrup.
Old October 13, 2003, 19:51   #24
MattyBoy
Prince

Local Time: 20:24
Challenge her to an arm wrestle and let us know how it goes. Besides that, she's already spoken for, so make sure you do something that you also enjoy while she is here. No point being sycophantic - if you're relaxed and having a good time, she probably will enjoy her visit too.
Old October 13, 2003, 19:59   #25
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 03:24
Quote:
Originally posted by elijah
Party. Alcohol. Golden Syrup.
What the heck is golden syrup?
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old October 13, 2003, 20:17   #26
Drogue
staff

Very thick sugar syrup. Imagine treacle, but without the flavour. It just taste's of sugar/caramel.

Old October 14, 2003, 05:47   #27
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
It's dishonest insofar as it involves pretending I didn't know. Granted, it's a white lie, but I'm trying to not get in the habit of deceit on any terms, great or small. Operative word: trying!
Sooner or later, a woman is going to ask you, "Do I look fat?"
Old October 14, 2003, 07:44   #28
Elok
Emperor

I'm pretty sure that's why hip-hop culture invented the word phat, UR. So I'm off the hook there.
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old October 14, 2003, 07:51   #29
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

Quote:
Very thick sugar syrup. Imagine treacle, but without the flavour. It just taste's of sugar/caramel.
It becomes somewhat less viscous when it is warmed to say, body temperature.. :naughy:

Nice sig, I see my idea on the duality nature of the mind (love and rationality) is starting to rub off on you!
Old October 14, 2003, 09:53   #30
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that's why hip-hop culture invented the word phat, UR. So I'm off the hook there.
And you were saying I was dishonest