Old October 12, 2003, 16:01   #1
Lonestar
inmate
King

Local Time: 06:25
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Serbs to deploy to Afghanistan...or Iraq.
From the Telegraph

Quote:
Serbs to fight beside US troops in Afghanistan
By David Rennie
(Filed: 06/10/2003)

Serbian troops are set to join American forces in Afghanistan in a deployment certain to spark fury across the Muslim world.

The prospect of 1,000 veterans of ferocious combat against Muslims in Bosnia and Kosovo fighting in a Muslim country came after American military commanders were reported yesterday to have accepted an unexpected offer from Belgrade to assist in combat missions against al-Qa'eda and the Taliban.

Disputes have already emerged over reports that a powerful Serbian police chief, Gen Goran Radosavljevic, insists that he should lead the Afghan deployment.

Although he has never been indicted of a war crime, human rights groups say units under his command committed atrocities against Albanian civilians during the Kosovo war.

His leadership is likely to be viewed unfavourably by the Pentagon, but defence officials are desperate to ease the burden on overstretched American forces.

Serbian officials described the mission, which would see up to 1,000 battle hardened Serbian and Montenegrin troops and paramilitary gendarmes deployed near Kandahar, as a done deal.

But America would confirm only that Serbian and Montenegrin officials visited Washington and Central Command headquarters in Florida last week to discuss the mechanics of a deployment.

Military chiefs at Central Command swiftly approved the offer of Serbian troops when it was made "out of the blue", US officials told The New York Times.

Any political doubts were outweighed by the urgent need for more combat forces and the likelihood that Serbian troops would be on their "best behaviour".

From the Wall Street Journal (need to register to see)

Quote:
There were several reasons why the toppling of Slobodan Milosevic was a good thing, and now we have one more: Serbia and Montenegro are to send soldiers to Afghanistan, to help American troops there keep the peace and send off the remnants of the Taliban.

In July, Zoran Zivkovic, the Serbian Prime Minister, was in Washington where, at a meeting with Colin Powell and Condoleezza Rice, he startled his hosts by offering the U.S. an a la carte menu: 1,000 soldiers by March next year, to serve in Liberia, Iraq, or Afghanistan, wherever Washington wanted them most.

"Their jaws dropped," a State Department official told us. "It was as if Powell and Rice had seen a unicorn walk into the room." They accepted -- and eventually chose Afghanistan, the Kandahar region to be specific, where the Serbs will be under American command. Washington made clear there would be no quid pro quo on Kosovo, and Belgrade has been wise not to ask for one.

The offer is remarkable coming a mere four years after the fall of Milosevic and after U.S.-led NATO forces bombed Serbia for 78 straight days. Yet Mr. Zivkovic's offer is in audacious sync with present relations between the U.S. and Serbia-Montenegro, described by an American Embassy official in Belgrade as "the best certainly since 1991, maybe even since WW II." Sanctions on Belgrade have been lifted and the U.S. is now the single largest foreign investor in Serbia- Montenegro.

The Serbian offer has set in motion a faintly bizarre train. Yesterday President Ibrahim Rugova of Kosovo told us that he'd been in touch with the State Department too: "I don't have soldiers," he said ruefully, "but we're happy to offer a police force for Iraq and Afghanistan."

There is need to guard against euphoria. Mr. Zivkovic, on his return to Belgrade, was accused of making the troop offer as an act of free-lance politics. The idea had not been "staffed out" before his departure, and even Serbia-Montenegro's Defense Minister hadn't been consulted. There were fears that if news of the offer leaked beforehand, and the U.S. turned its nose up at Serbian troops, the government would suffer a major loss of face.

Although it is dwindling fast, anti-Americanism persists in Serbia. But the popular clamor for a return to normal-country status means that public opinion is unlikely to force a withdrawal of the troop offer. The deal needs parliamentary approval later this year but such is the pace at which negotiations are proceeding -- rules of engagement are already being drawn up for the Serbian troops -- that legislators are likely to be faced with a fait accompli.

The U.S. needs to be picky about the troops that Belgrade sends. There can be no place for units with a history of ethnic cleansing in Kosovo, nor for commanders who led such damnable operations. But the Serbians, weary of being everyone's pariah, are unlikely to balk at demands that their troops be "clean," and to switch off their first positive international spotlight in over a decade. Who'd have thought that the Serbs would turn out to be better friends of America than the French?

Strange, if true.
Old October 12, 2003, 16:09   #2
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 12:25
What's next? Russian veterans from Chechnia? Contra veterans from Nicaragua?
Old October 12, 2003, 16:24   #3
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 05:25
Sure why not?
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old October 12, 2003, 16:25   #4
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 13:25
I am happy to hear that your plan of recruiting forces from the newly aquired province is going smoothly.
Old October 12, 2003, 16:31   #5
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 03:25
This makes perfect sense if you are Serbia and you want to get back on the right side of the international community instead of the recieving end. The Serbs, rightly, think that if they can find ways to cooperate with Washington and London then the Allies will start to think of them as friends instead of as enemies.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old October 12, 2003, 16:34   #6
Az
Emperor

What is this "International community" you speak of?
Old October 12, 2003, 16:35   #7
Oerdin
Deity

The one which bombed Serbia for 78 days.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old October 12, 2003, 16:36   #8
Pekka
Emperor

I think this is too soon. They should be given a chance to show their better side, but I think we should continue taking the breath and wait just a little bit longer until co-operations etc.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old October 12, 2003, 16:40   #9
Az
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
The one which bombed Serbia for 78 days.
well it seems now that this international community is rather divided on the Iraq issue, don't you think?
Old October 12, 2003, 17:36   #10
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 10:25
Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel

well it seems now that this international community is rather divided on the Iraq issue, don't you think?
No.
Old October 12, 2003, 17:48   #11
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 02:25
Smaller countries (such as New Europe) are realizing real benefits by siding with USA

We could use the extra hand too, sorta like when Romans hired Germans to do all sorts of side work

Mis Novias
Old October 12, 2003, 17:50   #12
Pekka
Emperor

Ted, what you'd need is Foreign Legion.
Old October 12, 2003, 17:52   #13
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 02:25
That would be bad azz

We should start one

Mis Novias
Old October 12, 2003, 17:59   #14
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Striker
sorta like when Romans hired Germans to do all sorts of side work
That's a bad example considering how it turned out.
Old October 12, 2003, 18:06   #15
Pekka
Emperor

Ted, exaclty. I have this thing all figured out. Maybe like 6 months ago I had a long thread about it, how it could work, how it would the risks would be secured (for example spies, terrorists ec joining), how it would be attractive, how to work the whole thing out, how not to make it a threat to the US and only a benefit..
Old October 12, 2003, 18:37   #16
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

So where's the contingent from the IDF? I mean, if we're gonna stand up to the whole Arab world and declare "bring it on", what better way to graphically demonstrate our graphically, than to deploy a battalion of Zion's finest?
Old October 12, 2003, 18:54   #17
Sikander
King

They should be employed as prison guards in Afghanistan.
Old October 12, 2003, 19:23   #18
Q Classic
Emperor

i though our serb was against the war?

Old October 13, 2003, 02:59   #19
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 04:25
Have the Yanks lost their ever-lovin' freakin' minds?
Old October 13, 2003, 05:36   #20
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 12:25
Perhaps they send more troops if we bomb them again.
Old October 13, 2003, 05:55   #21
Az
Emperor

Turkey, and Serbia?

yeah, I guess we're waiting for an announcement by the IDF.
Old October 13, 2003, 06:26   #22
Cruddy
Warlord

Local Time: 11:25
Wouldn't it be cheaper to use the extermination camps in Serbia and fly the Afghans in?

Setting up a new set of c-camps in Afghanistan seems like the expensive option.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old October 13, 2003, 06:31   #23
Az
Emperor

now now, that wasn't nice.
Old October 13, 2003, 06:33   #24
DanielXY
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Warlord

Quote:
Perhaps they send more troops if we bomb them again
Great Idea
Old October 13, 2003, 06:34   #25
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

It will bring the French on side, they keep tipping off the serb war criminals about NATO raids. The Russkies will approve aswell.
Old October 13, 2003, 07:10   #26
axi
Prince

The Serbs have sold their souls to the devil. What's most striking is that they offer their troops unconditionally, for whatever theater of operations the Americans want.
Old October 13, 2003, 16:20   #27
Lonestar
inmate
King

They know who butters whose bread.
Old October 13, 2003, 17:08   #28
Static Universe
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 04:25
I know when I hear the words "humanitarian mission", Serbia is the first thing to pop into my head.