Old November 3, 2003, 06:26   #61
MOBIUS
Emperor

Local Time: 20:27
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Just your average bog standard piece of Hollywood BS...

Interesting it is coming out at a time the US public are in need of a morale boost...
Old November 3, 2003, 09:40   #62
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 05:27
It's not unusual for Western movies to have been racist and ethnocentric in the past -- but today, I thought producers would know better.

Dances with Wolves shows the historical experience in the West with a different perspective from other than a white gunfighter or a white sheriff.

In fact past Western movies even portrayed white historical experience inaccurately -- a white man in the West was more likely to be a rancher, miner, logger, land speculator, or some other occupation that has not been "glorified" to death by Hollywood.
Old November 3, 2003, 14:01   #63
yavoon
Warlord

Local Time: 10:27
Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun
It's not unusual for Western movies to have been racist and ethnocentric in the past -- but today, I thought producers would know better.

Dances with Wolves shows the historical experience in the West with a different perspective from other than a white gunfighter or a white sheriff.

In fact past Western movies even portrayed white historical experience inaccurately -- a white man in the West was more likely to be a rancher, miner, logger, land speculator, or some other occupation that has not been "glorified" to death by Hollywood.
u spend 200 million dollars depicting the life of an avg farmer. I mean OMG thats what movies do, tell extraordinary stories. its not like I wna sit through a day in the life of an apolyton poster, unless its that one day where everything falls apart he goes on a cokane binge and meets his future wife in vegas bleeding on the strip. then maybe.
Old November 3, 2003, 16:53   #64
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by yavoon

u spend 200 million dollars depicting the life of an avg farmer. I mean OMG thats what movies do, tell extraordinary stories. its not like I wna sit through a day in the life of an apolyton poster, unless its that one day where everything falls apart he goes on a cokane binge and meets his future wife in vegas bleeding on the strip. then maybe.
That's the problem -- Hollywood cannot glorify the real historical West, so they cater to an oversimplistic portrayal of an ethnocentric West with stereotypical images of minority groups -- until recently.

But you can also say that there are some historical conflicts and experiences of other "occupations" of the West that Hollywood can put an entertaining slant on.

For instance, the conflict between farmers and cowboys over the use of land and fencing. Or maybe Hollywood did produce a film in the past around this conflict??

Last edited by MrFun; November 3, 2003 at 19:33.
Old November 3, 2003, 19:34   #65
MrFun
Emperor

Ok -- I had something in my last post that was too harsh, so I editted it out.