Local Date: November 2, 2010
Event scripting.
Old October 13, 2003, 20:49   #32
G'Kar
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 04:27
A satellite small wonder (or a set of city improvements) that allows global monitoring of enemy troop positions.
Old October 13, 2003, 21:02   #33
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 10:27
You've gotten your wish, Defcon!! In C3:C, Sattelites tech will now reveal the world map!! That will allow you to easily monitor your enemies troop movements!!

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker
Old October 13, 2003, 21:45   #34
Solomwi
lifer
C3CDG Desolation RowPtWDG2 Monty PythonCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 05:27
Lurker, will it give the capability of removing any fog of war or just remove the black overlay from previously undiscovered tiles?

I would like a small wonder or improvement set that gave you the ability to take, say, one "satellite photograph" per turn, much like the recon mission of jet fighters, etc., but with unlimited range.
"They say if you give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. But if you teach a man to fish...then he has to get a fishing license. But he doesn't have any money, so he has to get a job and enter the social security system. And he has to file taxes, and you're gonna audit the poor son of a ***** because he's not really good at math. You pull the IRS van up to his house and take everything. You take his velvet Elvis and his toothbrush and his penis pump and that all goes up for auction with the burden of proof on you because you forgot to carry the 1. All because you wanted to eat a fish, and you couldn't even cook the fish because you need a permit for an open flame."
- Doug Stanhope
Old October 13, 2003, 22:03   #35
WarpStorm
King

Solomwi, you could probably mod that in now. You could create a unit that has the recon mission and a 362 range (assuming you've got PTW). 362 is effectively unlimited. Make it as expensive as a small wonder and you are set.
Old October 13, 2003, 22:19   #36
Solomwi
lifer
C3CDG Desolation RowPtWDG2 Monty PythonCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Good thought, WS.

I don't use the editor nearly enough for actual games. There are a couple different mods I'm working on here and there, but I'm starting to suspect they're more for the fun of creating them than any intention I have of ever playing them.
"They say if you give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. But if you teach a man to fish...then he has to get a fishing license. But he doesn't have any money, so he has to get a job and enter the social security system. And he has to file taxes, and you're gonna audit the poor son of a ***** because he's not really good at math. You pull the IRS van up to his house and take everything. You take his velvet Elvis and his toothbrush and his penis pump and that all goes up for auction with the burden of proof on you because you forgot to carry the 1. All because you wanted to eat a fish, and you couldn't even cook the fish because you need a permit for an open flame."
- Doug Stanhope
Old October 13, 2003, 23:22   #37
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 06:27
Wonder movies.
Old October 13, 2003, 23:26   #38
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Until they get boring, and you decide to simply 'ignore' them !!!
Old October 13, 2003, 23:47   #39
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I would rather have that choice.

Dominae
Old October 14, 2003, 04:33   #40
Turrosh Mak
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by jackl
I think my change would be a big overhaul of the resources/unit support system. Resources should be acumulative per turn (like gold) and expendable on support and unit creation.

For example.... i find an oil supply and build an oil well (new worker action maybe) once in production this supply gives me 3 units of oil per turn for as long as i control the well. After ten turns i would have a stratigic reserve of 30 oil.
I like this idea. I would also make the following changes to unit supply. Why should supply be a part of the game? No less an authority than Erwin Rommel often said:

"The battle is fought and won by the logistician before the first shot is fired"

Our game should reflect this reality.

Idea 1: Land A/D/M values drop by some percentage (say 5%) as you get farther from a rail line connected to your territory/RoP territory. Roads through neutral territory would reduce the penalty by half.

Example A: Warrior (1/1/1) is 4 squares outside your starting city's border. It's value is (0.8/0.8/0.8) If it was on a connected road, its value is (0.9/0.9/0.9)

Example B: Modern Amor (24/16/3) is 10 squares away from a railroad connected to your border. Its effective value is (12/8/1.5)

Idea 2 A civilization can only supply a maximum of units based on the town/city/metro model, further modified by strategic resources.

Example C: A civ consisting of 6 towns, 1 iron, and 1 horse can supply 24 units total, but only 20 iron based units and 20 horse based units (so 20 knights and 4 workers would be acceptable)

Idea 3 Unit Support can only be supplied in unlimited quantities by road/rail inside the territory where the resource is located, or 10 per port on unconnected territories.

Example D1: A 20-support oilfield is connected to 1 port but not by road to a different territory (which is connected to 2 ports). It can supply 20 to its own territory but only 10 to all outside territories.

Example D2: A 20-support oilfield is connected to 2 ports but not by road to a different territory (which is connected to 1 ports). It can supply 20 to its own territory and outside territories, but only 10 to this particular outside territory.
Old October 14, 2003, 17:04   #41
Traelin
Prince

Hrm so hard to choose!

My top three would be as follows (in order of importance):

1. Unit trading
2. Useful UN/upgraded diplomacy
3. Civil Wars
Old October 14, 2003, 17:43   #42
SirOsis
Civilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 11:27
I would like to see a movie of what happened the previous turn. Essential for PBEM games.
Old October 14, 2003, 19:20   #43
Outsider
Settler

I'd like to be able to chain units together in gangs for purposes of movement and certain orders.

It would be especially handy in dealing with pollution in the later game. Even with all the relevant improvements, I seem to generate 4 or 5 pollution a turn, often. So instead of enduring the tedium of having to move 48 individual workers one at a time to the 5 pollution tiles that came up this turn (3 standard, 1 hill, 1 mountain), and click the "clean up pollution" button 48 times, I could have them grouped in gangs of 6, and only have to make 8 moves, and give 8 orders.

Unless there is already a way to do this that I am not aware of...
Old October 14, 2003, 20:35   #44
WarpStorm
King

Why not automate them?
Old October 14, 2003, 20:36   #45
peterfharris
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Prince

Good point Outsider.

I find pollution management soon gets very very tedious. If I set workers to automatically clean up pollution they all need new orders as soon as all pollution has been cleaned up. I wish I could set them so they would just stand about in some city and just wait for more pollution to appear (I want to set and forget them, never mind if they they are idle sometimes). OTH If I set the workers to "automate with no changes to existing improvements" they run off to all sorts of strange places and seem particularly attracted to the battlezone if I happen to be at war. (Umh, I capture a city so my workers rush there en masse to be captured en masse by the enemy counterattack).
Old October 14, 2003, 20:40   #46
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Commercial satellites, TV, Radio Towers, coffee luxury

And allow future expansions (PTW ) to be modded
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old October 15, 2003, 01:35   #47
G'Kar
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 04:27
I think Traelin may have hit my #1 desire: a more useful UN, one that can make resolutions and sanctions.
Old October 15, 2003, 02:40   #48
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 12:27
@peterfharris:

That's allready in the game. 'Shift-P' I think, I'm not sure though as it has been quite a while.
I'm sure someone will give you the correct shortcut though. Isn't there a button for this in PTW btw?
Old October 15, 2003, 03:57   #49
FrostyBoy
Emperor

Local Time: 18:27
I would like the U.N. to have more options too, but how would you implement resolutions and sanctions to civ3?
Old October 15, 2003, 05:35   #50
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

The UN could be organized like that:

The owner of the UN brings up standardized drafts for resolutions, like:

- Trade embargo of all other countries against X
- Condemnation of a war between two civs (brings a % chance to end the conflict, may be depending from their government form). If they don't cease, the next type comes up:
- Call for a coalition against country Y, if it has ignored a condemnation of war (encourages other civs to join it, war could be declared if a certain part (like 25%, at least 2 including the UN owner) of all civs in the game joined it.

After this, the UN members vote. There has to be at least 50% of support for the resolution. There are other types of resolutions possible.
Old October 15, 2003, 07:59   #51
Stuie
King

And of course you would need the ability to buy other Civs' votes for certain resolutions through the trade screen.
Old October 15, 2003, 11:14   #52
Traelin
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Sn00py
I would like the U.N. to have more options too, but how would you implement resolutions and sanctions to civ3?
Well a good example already exists in SMAC. The UN would be ten times better if it functioned like the PC.
Old October 15, 2003, 12:33   #53
jeff76
Chieftain

only one ? This is impossible.. but top 5.
Here's my top 5.

1. The possibility to trade units.

2. A map that is really a globe so you can travel in any direction (something would make the poles be hard to cross though... but for bombers... or missiles...)

3. The possibility to see civ splitting or even getting together as a federation ! Or even to be overthrown if you are being cruel with your people (you'd be gameover then...).

4. The UN troops...

5. Possibility to us ally facilities (to recover in their cities for example)

and...should I say a 6th one... tourism is a good idea...

plus read my post about enhancing the AI with the upgrade of HP for units of late eras...
Old October 15, 2003, 13:30   #54
Brundlefly
Prince

I would change the way that leaders are used within the game.

First of all, the leader that you start the game with, for example Bismarck if German, Mao if Chinese, provides your civilization with specific advantages tailored to their personality. The advantages might include a specific unit or building being built at a quicker rate or reduced corruption. This is a concept already in Railroad Tycoon 2.

When your civ generates a Great Leader in battle you have the option to swap this GL with your current leader. If you do, then your current leader becomes a GL unit. Each GL will have its own distinct advantages as a civ leader. The anarchy period between govts decreases the longer the current leader has been in place.
Old October 15, 2003, 18:12   #55
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 12:27
Re: only one ? This is impossible.. but top 5.
Quote:
Originally posted by jeff76
Here's my top 5.
5. Possibility to us ally facilities (to recover in their cities for example)
IIRC civ1 had such a thing (or was it civ2?). When you tried to enter an ally city with a damaged unit, a message poped up saying something like: "Our allies have helped us repair our ... whatever" and the unit was fully healed. A good idea, IMHO.
--Woody Allen
Old October 15, 2003, 18:49   #56
Asmodeus
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Dominae
Wonder movies.
Amen Dominae, I was really disappointed they abandoned them in Civ3 - for budget reasons or whatever.

I remember some old crap about it distracting the flow of the game or something like that - perhaps in multiplay maybe, but in single play??? We've spent nearly a 1000 years building the Pyramids lets f'king party I say!!! I really loved the actual sense of awe you got from those movies, It felt like a real change in the course of history in the game and with modern graphics and sound technology it could be really awesome rather than just another very slow to build granary.
Old October 15, 2003, 21:26   #57
WarpStorm
King

I think the real issue is the cost. I seem to remember Brian Reynolds saying that the Secret Project (pronounce this as Wonder) movies while excellent (they were the best) really chewed up the SMAC budget.
Old October 15, 2003, 22:13   #58
FrostyBoy
Emperor

Local Time: 18:27
yeah it would cost a lot to buy the footage
Old October 15, 2003, 22:46   #59
Xorbon
Prince

In the editor, I would add a 'retreat' flag for units. At the same time, "fast units" would no longer automatically have the retreat ability. This way you could have mods with some 'move 1' units able to retreat, and some fast units unable to retreat.
Old October 15, 2003, 23:55   #60
Elias
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Warlord

Local Time: 03:27
[QUOTE] Originally posted by Sir Ralph
Unit trading/gifting

Limited carrier based aircraft
I'd like to see a B52 landing on the USS Nimitz.

If you make bombers air transports as well as bombers they can no longer land on aircraftr carriers. Afterall rember operation overloard?